Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joaniepoanie

Things that are trendy that we "hate"

joaniepoanie
10 years ago

Here's the opposite take on Roarah's thread of dated things we still like...trendy things we don't like.....for starters...

Espresso furniture---love the look, HATE the dusting every other day! My next house is having all white furniture...I'll never have to dust again..lol

I know a lot of folks will disagree with me on these:

Open concept spaces....too noisy. One person is banging around in the kitchen while the other person is trying to watch a movie. My ideal would be 6' doorways with pocket doors like you see in houses from 100 years ago...best of both worlds.

Islands...for 29 years I've had a hate/hate relationship with my smallish galley kitchen, but after spending time in kitchens with islands, I am beginning to appreciate my kitchen more. I get frustrated when I am in an island kitchen because it just seems like a big barrier I am constantly having to maneuver around.

I know a lot of people will also say SS appliances...I like both white and SS, but have never been a fan of black....to me they make a kitchen look gloomy.

What say all of you?

Comments (152)

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

I also think that to some degree the "hate" comes from the amount of control that trends have over our choices.

If you want something that is not trending at a particular time, you have a really difficult time finding it. Or if you want something that has not been influenced by trends you may have trouble avoiding trend-influenced versions of it.

I may not want a potato peeler in Pantone's color of the year or a choice of throw pillow that is either IKEA influenced or some kind of "global fusion" design, but unless I want to search endlessly for it, or pay a lot for it, or even get someone to make it custom, that may be all I can get.

You used to be able to get ordinary dull basics that hadn't been overly-designed at the affordable end of the market. Now, that market is the most trend-driven of all, except perhaps, the market at the very opposite end of the spectrum (which is usually a different set of trends).

• tinam61
    10 years ago

This thread is funny to me also - mainly because there are so many posters I have never seen on the board before and some that rarely post! I do see Peony's point though because it seems like when we have one of these threads, SOMEONE will be insulted because an item(s) they have is on someone's hate list.

I agree, it's all about personal choice, likes and dislikes.

tina

• chrissyb2411
    10 years ago

We are just remodeling a house top to bottom, and I have always had very little decorating sense. But here's what I hate : feeling like I MUST go with the current "popular" trends or my home will be unloveable. I have had to back myself up several times and say to myself do you really like and want XYZ or are you choosing because that's what everyone else does. This has been most obvious in the kitchen. Our budget is small and it is all diy. My choices would all fall in a "things we hate about kitchens" thread, and so far I love it ha ha.

I really hate granite, and I hate the push to "use only natural stone" in the kitchen. Why? Solid surface products are in some instances much more Eco friendly, less maintenance, and durable for a klutz like me lol. But because its "plastic" it's not worthy of consideration by the kitchen powers that be.

And lastly I hate that everyone references "houz" as the best place for ideas. The homes in houz are beautiful, but my gut says those houses are way out of line with the average American home. They are almost all high end builds and remodels. It only gives someone like me with a limited budget a serious case of the wants. I would love my house to look high end, but reality says I must keep within budget, and I don't find a lot of budget ideas on house.

• violetwest
    10 years ago

I find it interesting that people are 'hating' open concept layouts, because all the new homes are being built that way, and in the home buying world, most people seem to want that.

I think the open concept thing is a step in the right direction, but it can be taken too far. It's a reaction to the "great room" fiasco of the last couple of decades, which in turn was a reaction to the chopped up "formal" spaces of the past.

But it's a truism that when entertaining, or when the family gathers, they do it in the kitchen. When i entertain my family, that's certainly where they end up. So I'm pleased as punch to trade my cramped little awkward kitchen for something more expansive where everyone can see each other and communicate. I'm a casual person, and certainly have no use for a formal parlour or dining room, which would only be wasted space for my lifestyle.

Done right, with enough flexibility and "away spaces" in the house for the number of people living there, open space concepts feel practical and modern. To me.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

What I truly "hate" are houses built with shaky drywall walls and ceilings, flimsy doors, overall bad sound insulation. I live in one of them, and it's NOISY --- in contrast to my student flat or many European houses where you can close the door and actually don't hear the person, or their music, in the next room.

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    10 years ago

This has been fun to read through. Although I have lots of your "hates" in my home, they work for me. This thread is useful for looking more critically at design trends I am drawn to. It's also nice to see others who "hate" the trends I could never understand.

• lynxe
    10 years ago

"I find it interesting that people are 'hating' open concept layouts, because all the new homes are being built that way, and in the home buying world, most people seem to want that."

My feeling, not based on any analysis, is that it's the builders who want open concept -- It's much cheaper to build and hence more profitable to sell an X,000 sq ft house filled with big spaces and relatively few rooms than a house with the same amount of square footage and all those pesky walls, moldings, doors, and so on.

Oh, right -- I forgot about vessel sinks. I dislike the look a lot.

• Faux68
    10 years ago

ChrissyB, I agree with you about Houzz to a point. Almost everything is custom. When I ask a designer where to buy something the answer is almost always custom. Then when I try to find something similar in the stores I have a hard time. That said, you can use Houzz to figure out what you are drawn to. What colors, patterns, shapes, layouts, etc.

Go with what you are drawn to and what works for your budget and you will probably never regret it.

• roobear
    10 years ago

I "hate" the whole "trendy/dated" concept, they're words that people have attached personal meaning to (good or bad) and the use of them is subjective to the individual and confusing.

"Dated" becomes frowned upon for it's not current look or for being unpopular, or praised for it's non conforming to the present and not following the crowd.

"Trendy" becomes frowned upon for being trite and unoriginal, or praised for being current and popular.

How do we know something is "trendy" or "dated"? What criteria does something have to meet before it's considered "trendy"? Seen in 10 design magazines? 30 design blogs?, 100 pics on Houzz? Does it have to be in both Pottery Barn and Restoration Hardware catalogs to count, or just one of the two?

What about "dated" criteria? When something is labeled "dated" by a few famous designers? When something is labeled "dated" by 40 design blogs? When something is 2 months past being considered "trendy"? 2 or more years past from being "trendy"?

Who makes the decision on what is "trendy" or "dated"? Designers? Companies? Average Joe?

This post was edited by roobear on Mon, Aug 19, 13 at 11:10

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

I think "trendy" or "dated" are determined to a large degree by context.. Design media also talks about trends a lot, too. But a lot of very good, very respected designers do the same look for most of their careers and it is not trend-based at all.

There are things that are discussed as trendy or dated or must have or must get rid ofs in Gardenweb, that I have not seen anywhere else (Except maybe as "Hottest Trends" in a design magazine. And then, there is usually a lag time of 6 months to a year depending on the magazine). Remember that by the time it gets published in a magazine, the trend-driven have already had it a year, too.

But, for example, the idea of changing door knobs because the finish is "dated" is something that never occurred to me before I started reading Gardenweb, or maybe HGTV, and I don't think that a lot of interior designers of the sort that get published in the established magazines change their doorknobs either. I am not saying you shouldn't do it. but while it's a strong part of the GW culture, I don't really think it has much relevence outside blog land. There is an awful lot of decor-related things that are argued rather contentiously in GW that don't have a lot of significance in the design world at large--certainly not at the level to bicker about or be insulted over.

• texasbet
    10 years ago

Lady GaGa. Oh, sorry. I guess this is a decorating forum...

• marthastoo
    10 years ago

I find it hard to believe that people don't understand that some people are offended when others go off about how they hate x, y, and z when the listener has x, y, and z in their house. Really? It's funny when two people talk about how trend x is soooooo stupid when you just installed trend x in your very thought out, costly remodel? I belong to fashion forums and these kinds of threads never end well. (like harem pants - I see them and think why??????? .... but I would never start a thread about how people who wear harem pants looks like complete idiots). Just saying.

• countryatheart
    10 years ago

I agree with Lady GaGa, is the world over her yet. Hey sorry if anyone here likes her. But she is overly decorated.

• violetwest
    10 years ago

harem pants are wonderful . . . for belly dancing!

as for those who are offended . . . not everyone likes the same thing, nor should they. It's what makes life interesting!

• joaniepoanie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks to all who defended this thread......it was never my intention to be mean-sprited at all. I have a lot of things mentioned here that people "hate" in my own home---granite, SS, gray walls---as Im sure most of us do. I am not taking it personally if 20 people say they hate gray walls. In the end, I think we all decorate our houses with colors and items we like...whether they are tried and true or something new (trendy).

There ARE trends (gray walls!) and there ARE dated things (avocado green or harvest gold appliances). No judgment---it just is. We look to design magazines, blogs, websites to see what's new and for fresh ideas. And most of us do follow the pack with "trends"....when was the last time you saw a pink or purple living room? How many people had mauve walls, wallpaper borders, country ducks and hearts in the 80's?

Trends come and go----some we love, some we "hate" and are glad they are gone. This was just intended to be a FUN, not serious, discussion of the trends we don't like, nothing more...similar to Roarah's opposite thread. I apologize if anyone felt their decor choices were under personal attack.

• Olychick
    10 years ago

I've so enjoyed this thread! As far as hurting feelings, I don't understand why anyone would be insulted or even care one whit what a group of strangers on the internet likes or doesn't. I really appreciate the "good eyes", design sense and professional input on this site, which is why I read it and may ask for help, but I would never worry if people like or dislike my choices.

If I post something, I would expect it wouldn't be to everyone's taste, just like the opinions expressed here show that we can disagree about what we like or "hate." If I save up for a long time to get something I really wanted and loved, reading here that others "hate" it would have no affect on my enjoyment of my choice.

• Gooster
    10 years ago

At some point around post 60, this thread (and its companion) started to include just about every trend or element (some listed did not qualify as trends). At that point, the ability of anyone to offend anyone with their choices greatly diminished. Because the threads became so comprehensive, their ability to offend diminished. At some point, it became clear we were talking about individual preferences and quirks.

• lynxe
    10 years ago

"but I would never start a thread about how people who wear harem pants looks like complete idiots). Just saying."

but I would certainly start or respond to a thread about how I, personally, dislike the look of harem pants. Just saying.

And just saying, that that's what this thread is all about. The whole point is what posters themselves don't like. I don't have the time to reread the whole thing, but I'm pretty sure nobody has made anything even close to an accusation that people who like vessel sinks are idiots.

• nancybee_2010
    10 years ago

I hope I didn't offend anyone with my "hates".

That said, I agree with Joanie and Violet- it wasn't meant to be mean-spirited. This forum wouldn't be so interesting if everyone had to be super careful about stating their dislikes. It doesn't have to be done in a mean or mocking way, and usually isn't!

There are things here that others hate that I own. I wasn't hurt by that. But I guess we all see and feel things differently, so once again I'm sorry if I offended anyone.

• countryatheart
    10 years ago

I am new to this forum and was just reading it for what it was. Individuals expressing personal dislikes, and the other thread their likes, not anyone bashing anyone else's decorating style. At the end of the day we have to live with what makes us comfortable. Now, because I am not particularly trendy or fashionable, I have to go research some upcoming trends to see if there is anything that I must have.

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

Gosh I wish I would have gotten in on this early since it'll take me days to catch up, but here goes my list of trendy things I "hate"...

Painted and distressed wood furniture. I'm more than tired of seeing photos with the caption something like this: "From old and worn out to new and awesome!" When in reality the original "before" looked old, but rarely like it had been sitting out in the elements neglected for decades as they do in most "after" pictures.

Painting kitchen cabinets that are in perfectly good condition. Most often stated reasons are to lighten the kitchen, they are oak and everyone hates oak and lastly, it's too "orangey". It'd be easier to add more lighting or change wall colors to camouflage the "orange" look.

Pallets made into just about anything. Though I love to recycle and reuse things, it's getting a little old when so many are just using junk to make more junk.

• sapphire6917
    10 years ago

I will add my two cents and then go back to using the internet to look into other people's houses while munching on Tex Mex Trail Mix from Walmart. It may very well be ten cents by the time I get to the end of my list (or my trail mix).

Since there seems to be an aversion to the word "hate", the following is a list of things I am tired of seeing when using the internet to look into other people's houses. Many of these have already been mentioned:

The terms "pop of color", "wow factor", "reclaimed" and "bling"

Open concept floor plans

Design by numbers - Vintage bathroom = pedestal sink, built in medicine cabinet, clawfoot tub, beadboard walls, marbles surfaces and hex tile floor.

Televisions in every room (or almost every room, including the bathroom)

"Over-stoned" kitchens and bathrooms

Stainless steel and granite

Social kitchens - enormous islands, ornate chandeliers, dishes as decoration on open shelving, etc. all occupying a space as large as a NYC apartment

Formal chandeliers in non-formal spaces (the laundry room? Really?)

Water closets - Stay out of the bathroom when I'm in there

EAT signs in the kitchen - what, pray tell, is on the wall in the bathroom?

Multifunction toilets - I don't want my toilet plugged in or up

Barely blue, bright white or seafoam green bathroom walls

Beadboard

Double sinks in the bathroom - Didn't I say to stay out of the bathroom when I'm in there?

Enormous car wash showers - Not necessary since I'm the only one in there

Bathtubs in front of large windows - I'm just not that sexy

Residential spaces designed to look like commercial spaces - restaurant kitchens, spa bathrooms, hotel suite bedrooms, etc.

Rooms decorated with little to no regard for the rest of the house

Kitchen cabinets that require ladders to access the contents

Stacks of books used solely for decor

Any and all poufs

Anything ikat

Garden stools used in living spaces (especially white, turquoise, yellow and polished silver)

Naming rooms to try to give purpose to a useless room in a completely oversized house - The Super Room, The Gardenview Room, The Keeping Room, etc.

Designing your home by committee - What table should I get for this space? Okay, I have the table, now what lamp should I put on it?

Decorating addiction - I see this more on blogs. Decorating spaces for the purpose of having something to post. Sometimes, to the extent of buying a new house after completely decorating the old one.

The use of Pinterest or Houzz to perpetuate already overdone decorating concepts

I'm sure whenever I post pictures of my home, there will be many things that won't resonate with many people and you are more than welcome to say so.

I eat Tex Mex Trail Mix. I can take it.

• erinsean
    10 years ago

Did anyone mention "farm house sinks". I grew up with those and disliked them and mother disliked them also. I had grey on my walls in the 60's. Liked it then and would like it again. I have never liked blue walls.....so depressing. My DIL loves blue walls. I also think your location, climate, and area are important in your likes and trends in decorating. We, in the colder winter climates like wall-to-wall carpeting in our bedrooms.....in warmer climates, not so much. etc, and etc,

• anele_gw
    10 years ago

Nosoccermom, I moved from a 1959 house to one built in the late 20s. The one built in the 50s was FAR more sound proof than this one. We hear everything here! I think it is because of the vents . . .we can hear each other through them and even see through some of them (between floors). It's going to come in really handy when the kids are teenagers, haha!

Anyway, you know what bothers me MOST about trends? It is the fact that some people think they are the only option (and have to rush to "fit in" with someone else's blog), or, as mentioned before, that they are overused so eventually automatically boring. Once upon a time, I loved Chevron, even though it's from an oil company.

• joaniepoanie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sapphire.....too funny! Especially....."EAT signs in the kitchen - what, pray tell, is on the wall in the bathroom?"

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    10 years ago

I may not want a potato peeler in Pantone's color of the year

Omigosh, truly laughed out loud. What's sad is I really think this exists! bwahahaha.

• Cloud Swift
    10 years ago

After reading this thread, I wonder if it is why my post asking for help on my living room got almost no response.

Yes, this thread is comprehensive enough that just about every one has something in their house that is on someone's "hate" list, but it seems like my house has something on each individual's list.
    E.g. our house is:
    MCM and
    Open concept - though with two separated open areas.
    and has:
    Two bathrooms with double sinks (but each has a door between the sink area and the toilet/bath area). What is so bad about two people being able to brush their teeth at the same time without getting in each others way?
    Stainless steel appliances and natural stone (quartzite) in the kitchen,
    Kitchen island - with an open concept kitchen, we wouldn't have much work surface and storage area without an island or peninsula. Working in the L plus island kitchen is like working in a galley kitchen.
    Counter stools, kitchen table and dining room table - though the counter is mainly used for one of our grandkids having a snack or playing while we are working in the kitchen. Tables are good for things besides eating like playing board games doing a craft so it is convenient to have two.
    etc.

I find it odd that so many of the things listed aren't trends. Even in our area which had an MCM tract builder, there aren't that many MCM houses - perhaps less than 10% and new MCM builds have been rare for decades so I don't see how that can be "trendy."

Anele, you can get locks for pocket doors. Well made ones don't come off the track - our house has about 6 that are almost 40 years old. Over the years, one needed repair - other that, we have never had one come off the track or give us any other trouble.

This post was edited by cloud_swift on Mon, Aug 19, 13 at 15:45

• busybee3
    10 years ago

i find it so interesting how people get offended on these types of threads by others' opinions... i don't understand why some would visit such a 'place' if differing opinions bothered them. i really don't get it--as i really don't get threads begun to solicit opinions and then the op (or someone else) is offended/insulted at the opinions received- just don't get it!
    i would much more 'hate' having others give me what they 'thought i wanted to hear' thinking they were being polite.....

i don't like white slipcovers on furniture... really don't like 'slipcovered' dining chairs.
    i generally don't like different colored cabinets in a kitchen (ie: uppers white, lowers stained, etc)
    really hated my black cooktop.
    i hate caring for tiled shower floors.
    i hate trying to trim my dogs nails(she hates me trimming them!) so she doesn't too quickly destroy our refinished wood floors!!
    duvets and covers
    i don't get the CL trend... tho i think it's great to recycle and reuse!!
    i love marble but i hate how it stains and etches.
    i hate small bathrooms and kitchens with limited storage/work space.
    i hate how hot trex gets...

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

Again I think it is contextual. There is nothing the matter with most trends if they are in a good context.

A double sink in large bathroom with a 6-foot vanity, yes. Two sinks shoehorned onto a 4-foot vanity where neither person will be comfortable, just because everyone else is doing it, not so much.

Mid-century modern in a clearly midcentury modern house--that's an architectural period. It's history, it is it's own context. Faux MCM along the lines of some of the things at West Elm that are made so, simply because it's inexpensive, potentially a little annoying.

Open plans in a house well-designed to be so, sure. Blowing out all the walls in a cape cod leaving only the stairs in the middle, may not work so well.

I agree with the pocket doors. The problem is installation and good hardware. Of course if it's poor installation then it means taking the wall down and doing it over.

I looked at your thread Cloud_swift and part of it may be that people are not sure what to do with MCM because it has such a strong identity, but I didn't make any suggestions because I had a hard time figuring out what the questions were and where you were willing to take the room. Also I think August tends to be slow for certain types of threads.

• Miz_M
    10 years ago

Busybee, you reminded me of how much I hate smooth cooktops. I have a black one, too, and can hardly stand to use it. It's extremely hard to clean, and it has one cooking temperature: HIGH. I coddle and baby it, and it still tries to burn everything I put on or near it. Sigh!

• pricklypearcactus
    10 years ago
    • Wall Words - Extremely ubiquitous in my region.

• Completely beige "neutral" rooms, especially kitchens - Still very trendy in my region.

• Poorly executed stacked stone veneer where you can see the badly unfinished veneer edges. - I love stacked stone when it's done well. When it's not, it rubs me the wrong way.

• HGTV shows that "update" a home that already has a beautiful actual architectural style with some random trend that does not fit with the home. - Watched "Brother vs Brother" the other day and it was like a train wreck from which I could not look away.

• Painting beautiful wood kitchen/bathroom cabinets or furniture. - There are cabinets that really do look better painted. But this is not the universal way to "update" something.

• Painting brick. - I know this can be executed properly, but the only cases I've seen in person have looked horrible.

• Vinyl fences

• Bullnose / rounded drywall corners

• anele_gw
    10 years ago

Cloud, we have locks on the doors. They don't work! The doors are about 80 yrs old. I need to buy kits for each door to fix them, but not a priority now.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Woah, a lot of the things on, for example, busybee's "hate" list are in my house or on my like list, or on both, but that doesn't mean that I feel insulted at all.

• springroz
    10 years ago

Ok, got to the END!!! Whew.....

I hate the phrase "high end"......especiallly when describing one's own things. I suppose I am a little TOO southern!

Disposable furnishings not worth recovering really get to me. I despise furniture shopping now, and I grew up furniture shopping with my DM.

Nancy

• stolenidentity
    10 years ago

I really dislike the word "trendy" and I despise using the word hate to describe a feeling toward material things almost as much as toward people. What a silly thread to find insult and hurt feelings. I think discussions of this nature are a sick trend ;)

and ditto busybee "i don't get the CL trend... tho i think it's great to recycle and reuse!!" I am fascinated at this trend!

This post was edited by sasafras on Mon, Aug 19, 13 at 20:01

• Delilah66
    10 years ago

Did I see designer dogs mentioned? People buy dogs to match their décor? Really?

• mom270
    10 years ago

sassafras, this discussion is not "sick." No one is insulting or hurting feelings by saying they do or don't like grey paint. The paint doesn't care. If you don't want to discuss trends in décor, internet forums where people say what they do or don't like in home décor is not going to be a good place for you to spend your time...

• stolenidentity
    10 years ago

hi mom270,

um, the painter of grey might care LOL!! Thanks for the kindergarten lesson. I am pretty sure I am allowed to reply my likes and dislikes regarding decor or discussions of it - just like you. Hope you feel better giving me the what for! I am entertained no end by this section of GW and will continue to participate when I feel like it... :)

• mom270
    10 years ago

Saying things like "Discussions of this nature are a sick trend, smiley face" seems pretty kindergarten to me. And saying that expressing your opinions on home décor "finds insult and hurts feeling" doesn't seem emotionally mature to me either.
    Have a swell day finding fault with threads, though!

• stolenidentity
    10 years ago

Thanks! Between us, maybe we can put this one away at last ;)

FYI - the smiley is/was a wink not a smile.

Oh, and tag!

• mom270
    10 years ago

Tag - see you do act like you are in grade school so I guess the kindergarten lesson was right on!

• stolenidentity
    10 years ago

Yes, but I am not a bully, more like the class clown !!

• User
    10 years ago

I have one I have one and I don't think I saw this mentioned- I don't get the newer kitchen sets with the very high table and tall chairs.. I am sure there is a word for it which escapes me. I just don't understand it. I don't find it appealing at all.

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

Sheila, in a restaurant, those are called hightops and they started out as seating in the bar area. They are convenient to servers because there is no bending to serve at the table, and some restaurants like them because they take up slightly less room than a table of the same size. Why? because you sit on a stool, which is slightly smaller and your legs hang down slightly and take up a bit less room than with your feet flat on the floor, And in a restaurant, 12 tables instead of 10 can make a big difference.

For home use they are an outgrowth of counter height seating at an island. It's kind of like having island seating but more flexible and smaller than an island so it may satisfy some people who don't have an island with seating.

I don't find them particularly practical or useful in kitchens, but I have used them in gamerooms. In the kitchen I prefer to sit with my feet on the floor.

• stolenidentity
    10 years ago

Those tables are way cool if they are using the old time spinning bar stool with leather seat and shiny silver ridge trim for the seating. Or like an old Irish Pub with dented wood and rings on the well used table. They are called Pub Tables, or Bar Tables and they are awesome, but yeah like Sheila and palimpsest said...not in the kitchen.

This post was edited by sasafras on Mon, Aug 19, 13 at 21:45

• denali2007
    10 years ago

sapphire

Loved your post made me laugh the whole time.

I,m with you, NO One is in the bathroom when I'm in there.

• Cloud Swift
    10 years ago

Pal, I added some information on my thread to try to make it clear what my questions were and where I'm willing to go with the room. Perhaps you and others could take a look at it again.

Yes some MCM stuff is inexpensively built (or even cheap). That was part of the original MCM trend - at least Eichler and Streng build some MCM houses where they were trying to create the most house for the money. My son and DIL just bought a 1300 sq ft Streng that is at that end of MCM. It is pretty livable for the size.

I understand the point about some trends becoming hateful just because they are so overdone.

• Baroo2u
    10 years ago

This thread has been great laughter therapy, thank you so much! Of course I have to chime in with a few Decor Items That Missed:

Vintage suitcases piled artfully under tables...um, the lady of the house stashed them there when hubby came home early, just as she was running off with tbe pool boy? "No dahling, of course I'm not taking a trip--suitcases in the living room are all the rage right now!"

Those starburst mirror things...never understood those. Don't want to.

Pretend antique clocks--or paintings thereof--that don't tell time. Why?

Catalogues or decor magazines that stick a dog in an obviously contrived photo set to make the design seem "cozy"--usually with the opposite effect because the animal is in a rigor mortis "down stay".

White ANYTHING; sheets, towels, kitchen cupboards, trim. They know this is real life, don't they?

• Charlie Antonetti
    4 years ago

I hate modern decor and interior it’s so ugly and besides what’s the purpose

• aprilcls
    4 years ago

Every room in my home speaks to the mood I want to create within that particular space. I think that within a home, you can have rooms that feel light and open and others that feel secluded, warm and cozy. The trend I'm not wild about is anything "rustic". I don't mean rustic in the sense of patina or even well done distressing. What I'm referring to are pieces of furniture at hefty prices that are chunky, grainy and lacking craftsmanship. The medium gray stained grainy wooden furniture and cabinetry and the picnic table look in the dining room or beat up milking stool in the living room are good examples of my least favorite look. The label of "rustic modern" is a dichotomy of terms. I also dislike the rebirth of the big white ball globes on lighting that were the darlings of the 1960s through 1970s, which was quite possibly the worst era of design, i.m.h.o.