Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beekeeperswife_gw

Bathroom Reveal, Finally.

beekeeperswife
12 years ago

As you may recall, I had a vision of a dark and mysterious hall bath. And then I came to my senses that this was crazy, because if I had a dark floor and wanted to gel stain my cabinet, then this would end up looking like a very cavelike room. No worries, I'm still enamored with Dark Purple, and I promise it will be on a wall I own sometime.

So, ended up trying out grays, in order to keep the flow going in my house. Turns out the winner was BM Nimbus, the same paint strip I've been using everywhere, it seems. What can I say, I like it. I had an inspiration picture (strictly for colors, because really, my room cannot even remotely be compared to the inspiration.

Inspiration (hahaha)

I loved the gray with the pale pink. So, that was my mission. And, the funny sidenote is that the bathroom is primarily used by my 19 yr old son who is color blind. So, if I didn't mention the word "pink", it would not look pink to him. Sneaky? I haven't decided on that yet. However, his girlfriend spilled the beans by accident!

So without further adieu, here is the modern/glam bathroom.

Cabinet gel stained over the orangey oak cabinets with General Finish's Java, new hardware.

Floor is 6x24 porcelain tile, Mikado, color: Ergano

Wall color, in case you missed it, is BM Nimbus.

From the hall, your first peek:

Those are tums on the bottom shelf in the jar. I've needed many of those lately....

Opening this jar totally freshens the room.

Oh, and I forgot one other little touch....all the drawers are lined with really pretty scented paper with roses on them. My poor son.

I'd like to give shout out to Listerine....available in several decorative colors. Who knew I would find pink?

That little shelf next to the tub was quite a fun story. Many auditioned for the spot. Many. Found this one at PB Outle (sorry Ttodd, I went without you). It was originally pale yellow. First I painted it dark gray. It was just too heavy. Then I went with a very pale pink, but, nah, too pink. So, I got out this can of silver paint and I'm thrilled.

Hope you enjoyed seeing the final outcome after all of my torture with the paint. Anybody remember the shiny blue??? omg

(And if I had my way, the blind would be a dark chocolate brown, but...well...I can't talk about why that was not replaced.....soon, promise.)

-Bee

Comments (62)

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

the mouthwash dispenser was from Home Goods. I had it in the "previous bath that was ruined". I think it was from there....if not, Target. But certainly Home Goods has them. The one with the soap is crystal clear and from Walmart, super duper cheap.

• kristinekr
    12 years ago

I love it all! I especially like the tray on the sink; the orchid; and the tums shelf.

I think the shade looks fine. However, if you are open to replacing it anyway, you could try painting it. I spray painted a bamboo roman shade that I had (I was okay buying a new one if need be as I had gotten the lighter color years ago on sale for less than $10). I used oil rubbed bronze metallic paint and it looked too sparkly, so toned it down by adding in some flat black spray paint and flat brown epressso spray paint. It came out okay. It looks better than it did in the lighter color, but not as good as if I had just bought the darker color. It's good enough that I am keeping it.

• babs711
    12 years ago

What a gorgeous room! It's so calming and sparkly! It's just perfect. You should feel proud of yourself!

• gsciencechick
    12 years ago

Another awesome room!

Avesmor, I thought I saw some on Simplehuman, but I seem to have been mistaken.

• stinky-gardener
    12 years ago

Thanks for the extra pics...they're great! I'm SO glad you included a close-up of the apothecary jar with the Tums. That's probably the least expensive accessory in the room, but it's so very cute & clever!!

• Lyban zone 4
    12 years ago

Bee,
    You have done it again. What a fabulous room. Have you had any interior design credits. I really think this is your calling.
    You never cease to amaze me.
    Beautiful.......

• futuremrsr
    12 years ago

I love all the girly touches! It's sweet and romantic without overkill! Love the floors!

• dedtired
    12 years ago

So pretty. I wish I had put up a hotel rack for towels like you did. I opted for a glass shelf with a towel bar, but it's not as useful. I love all your finishing touches. I need to get back to that project. Nice bathroom!

• Happyladi
    12 years ago

I love it! It's so fresh and calming. You did a great job.

Is the shade lined? Because if it's not have you checked to see if you can see through it at night when there is a light on in the room? Or maybe you don't need to worry about it.

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    12 years ago

happyladi, I lined it when I installed it a few years ago. And yes, you could see through it!

• jockewing
    12 years ago

Bee, tres tres TRES chic!!! Absolutely gorgeous! I adore all the silver, the pale shell pink, the towel rack, and especially the oriental floral art. It almost makes me want to use pink, except it might be too feminine.

The whole room has such an elegant, timeless vibe. I think one of those vintage-looking swivel mirrors would send it over the top.

When I wrote the post about whether or not pale colors are "classy" that got taken way out of context, THIS is the result I was talking about!

• natal
    12 years ago

Turned out beautifully! What's your verdict on the gel stain? I'm contemplating doing the same to my oak vanity.

• teacats
    12 years ago

Lovely!! :)

And yes -- please tell us about your technique with the gel stain on the cabinets -- my dear friend next door is thinking about re-doing her kitchen cabinets with stain ....

Thanks for any info!

• TxMarti
    12 years ago

Gray and pink is one of my all time favorite combinations. Your bathroom is lovely and looks so fresh. I had to look twice at the flooring. It doesn't look like tile at all.

• cat_mom
    12 years ago

Another terrific job bee!!!! It looks great!

• les917
    12 years ago

A lovely space - classy and restful, and not overtly feminine despite the pink. You did a wonderful job!

Did you consider trying the gel stain on the shade? If not that, I would actually go for the deep grey in the shower curtain pattern.

Just one thing. I would either take some of the towels off that wall rack or roll them and have the rolls facing front to back on the shelf. They are proportionately too high for the size of the shelf, imo, and look like they might tumble down on the next seated person in the space!

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    12 years ago

les, oh, I know about the towels. I had less on there, but was unpacking all of them and I just threw them up there. (Need to stick some in the hot pink linen closet!).

teacats, the gel stain is sooo easy. I followed celticmoons' instructions that can be found on the Kitchen Forum, (under the "New to Kitchens" thread. I linked it below. I only did the java color though. And don't be fooled into thinking that minwax gel stain will be an adequate substitute...it's not. I'm currently in the process of gel staining a huge dresser for my room. I bought it at Home Goods for a steal--it is a Drexel Heritage dresser in the finish that I think they call "Really Ugly". It's been so humid here that it is taking tooooo long to dry. First coat was done on Wednesday and it's still tacky. I think it will be done by September at this rate. I'm using Old Masters Gel stain for that project because General Finishes doesn't have a black and that is what I needed.

jockewing, I think if done right, the pink doesn't have to be too feminine. Just make the masculine colors that you put with it even stronger. In fact I have a dark gray chenile shag rug on the floor, but picked it up for all of your viewing pleasure.

Here is a link that might be useful: celticmoon's gel stain instructions

• Sheeisback_GW
    12 years ago

Very nice! I like the pink with the gray.

• juliekcmo
    12 years ago

I am blown away.

I live in a 1931 home and my DDs have a tiny bath with vintage pink and lilac tiles. I am going to the paint store to see about your swatch.

But, I must say the floor tile is my most favorite part. I just love it.

Awesome job.

• stinky-gardener
    12 years ago

"...it is a Drexel Heritage dresser in the finish that I think they call "Really Ugly." LOL! That description will soon be a thing of the past...can't wait to see your results!

• Lyban zone 4
    12 years ago

Tell me a bit about that floor. You say 6 by 24 porcelain tile. Is there grout between the strips? Did you lay it yourself?
    ON top of old tile or what?
    I love it.

• paintergirl94
    12 years ago

Just beautiful!
    And, I know you don't need any help with the window treatment, but how about something along the lines of the chair in your inspiration pic.? Tie in the pattern on your shower curtain. Soft & tailored.
    Anyway, your room is beautiful, without my 2 cents!

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks again for the compliments.

lyban, there is grout, dark to look like one of the stripes. With tiles this size you can't have a 1/16 grout line (even though that is what you would think) because tiles this long are all slightly bowed in the center. Something about the firing process. So, with a wider grout line you can somewhat hide that. Also, you can't lay them with the seam in the center of the tile next to it because that would put the lowest point (the end) next to the highest point (the center). So, they are all about 33% of the tile next to it. I read about it by doing a Google search and "surprise" being led back to GW and Bill Vincent. And yes, we did it ourselves. Large tiles in small spaces....I'll leave that to the pros next time!

Ok, look, I know I should do something with the blind, But, IF I were to be putting the house on the market in say.....a month or two I think that this blind will be fine. I don't think the non GW eye will even notice. Just not sure if it's worth the $30 to buy a new one.

(The reason this room was done was due to a toilet that had a leaky pipe and ruined the bamboo floor. So, once we started to tear it up, we decided to go with cool tile and paint and try to make it a little updated with a new inexpensive faucet . I added the hotel shelf because it was only $16, and I thought it was a good "bang for the buck" kind of detail).

And nobody panic yet, the house is NOT for sale. We are getting close to making the decision, it's all based on a job relocation.

Thanks,
    Bee

• bird_lover6
    12 years ago

Absolutely LOVE IT! You just gave me the color scheme for my upstairs bathroom! (My poor son - surrounded by girls and pink. haha)

• teacats
    12 years ago

bee -- Many, Many thanks for the informative link about the cabinet staining process! Really handy to have! :)

• natal
    12 years ago

The blind looks fine. Darker will make the room appear darker. Not great for a bathroom.

• newbuyer2007
    12 years ago

What a beautiful bathroom! I would love to know where you got the shower curtain.

• dianalo
    12 years ago

I love how you made it your way with your inspiration color, but that the inspiration color could easily change on a whim...
    This reads elegant and classy to me but also warm. You really have the knack.... it shows every time you reveal another room ;)

• User
    12 years ago

Very pretty, I love the dark cabinet and the colors you've brought in. Lovely!!!

• Mugsy42
    12 years ago

HI bee!

What a great re-model. I love the gel stain. Working on my bath vanity right now. Painted the walls an orange color. Looking good so far.

Still haven't found the "right" faucet. Maybe I should hold auditions?

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    12 years ago

newbuyer2007---the shower curtain is from...drumroll please...Home Goods. I think it is the only place I shop.

• loribee
    12 years ago

Sooo fresh and pretty, absolutely love the room! My fave touch is the pretty jar of soaps~~~

• memazz
    12 years ago

Such a lovely room and the tile floor is so neat! But so is everything else! I'm going to get GF gel stain today for my vanity...what an inspiration--thank you!

• biochem101
    12 years ago

Yep, you did it again.

*Now in love with pink and gray as a combo.*

Bows down... "We're not worthy! We're not worthy!"

• Lyban zone 4
    12 years ago

Bees,
    Thank you for that info on the floor. I will look into it.
    I now have every room in your house in my inspiration folder. I do not have many of your LR though with the wasabi, only one photo also showing your zinnia prints. Were there more that I missed.

• ttodd
    12 years ago

Very nice! I've loved that BR ever since the issue arrived! It's the perfect style for your home!

• B H
    12 years ago

Oh, just GORGEOUS!!!!!

Like lyban, just about every room in your house is in my inspiration folder. Your eye for detail & color is just amazing. I wish I had enough rooms in my house to use your ideas. *sigh*

• callie25
    12 years ago

Love the gray & pink! Everything in the room looks great. You've given me inspiration for my bathroom.

• cplover
    12 years ago

Bee- that is beautiful and I hate pink! :) At first I thought your dish of tums was candy--- my sister keeps m&ms in her bathroom. Weirdo. I thought I could tell her someone loves candy in their bathroom too!

• tinam61
    12 years ago

Very pretty!! You did a great job.

I agree about the darker blind - although don't think it's a must for re-sale. The darker color would look great with the vanity and I don't think it would make the room seem darker - if you are like me, you probably don't pull the blind often.

Again - great job!!

tina

• movinginva
    12 years ago

Stunning! Your bathroom looks beautiful.

• gmp3
    12 years ago

You are a huge inspiration...I am purchaing a home with those oak cabinets and have so many other projects that I can't justify replacing them. You have inspired me to gel stain!

• jockewing
    12 years ago

Bee, have you mentioned what type of tray that is? I have found a polished nickel one on the RH website and I'm wondering if it's similar to yours.

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    12 years ago

oh my gosh, you guys make me blush. Thank you so much. It's nice to get such wonderful feedback.

jockewing, are you talking about the large tray on the counter? It's from Target. I just looked online so I could send you the link, but it's not there. Must be instore only. Not expensive....maybe $19? I had originally bought a big white ceramic serving platter to use from TJMaxx, but funny thing, it wasn't completely flat so stuff was not steady on it!

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    12 years ago

All I can come up with is a bunch of words that start with "p".
    pretty pale pink, pampered and polished, pleasing, perfectly executed!

• sweeby
    12 years ago

Fabulous! Very GLAM and sophisticated.

• chickadee2_gw
    12 years ago

I love what you've done to the bathroom. It's so elegant and serene.

That's really interesting about the larger floors tiles bowing in the center, and I'm so glad I read this. I'm having 5"x32" wood grain Castlevetro tiles put down in my studio and the tile salesman didn't mention this. Do you remember where you read this? I looked at some of Bill Vincent's old posts but I didn't see it. I'd like to show that to my installer because he's never put down this type of tile before. I also wanted to do the 1/16" grout line and ordered the sandless grout, but I may have to rethink this. Again, the salesman said there would be no problem with that. Grrrr.

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    12 years ago

chickadee, the link below is where I started.

good luck

bee

Here is a link that might be useful: 6 x 24 tile

• queenofmycastle0221
    12 years ago

I hope I didn't miss it in a previous post but can you tell me about the hotel towel rack. I want one for our guest bath purchased one from Target last week. When I got it home it stated that it was 7 1/8" (approx) deep and I couldn't help but think my bathtowels won't fit on it so I took it back.

Thanks so much!
    Alicia

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    12 years ago

camarodreamer.....Bed Bath and Beyond. And don't forget your 20% off coupon!

24" L x 9 1/2" D x 1 3/4" H.

Here is a link that might be useful: chrome towel shelf