Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ttodd

Honestly, Are 4 DR Tables Really Too Many?

ttodd
9 years ago

Good Afternoon. My name is TheFoxesPad and I am addicted to finding bargain and free furniture.

I have now almost acquired my 4th DR table. Supposed to pick it up 8/24 from CL seller. I trolled it on CL shortly after she posted it at 10PM last night. She leaves for vacation tomorrow. Seems like the real deal of a seller that will not sell it out from underneath me as she took the picture off CL already. At any rate, please say some prayers for me. I will not rest easy until it is in my hands.

This makes my 4th DR table. The last one that I found on trash day a few months ago hasn't even made it back from our shop yet. Mr. Fox took it in to spray it white for me (it was already painted black).

Using one now (which I plan to paint the bases and sell) that I drug home one night after work when I passed it in our alley pre trash day. I ran down the alley and brought the bases home before even going inside the house to say good night to the kids. That one is in the Duncan Phyffe (sp?) style. Clearly not perfect but was perfect for my nds.

Also have Mr. Foxes grandmothers DR table in storage at the shop. Direly nds refinishing. Has a Lyre base. Keeping that solely for sentimental reasons.

And here is the one that I found last night for $50. Being sold as an antique but I think not. More like vintage based on the base style & feet. It comes w/ 2 leaves and wheels. I've always wanted a round table in this style and would periodically check CL 2 or 3 times a year. I know that it will go w/ my more whimsical style in the DR w/ mismatched painted chairs in shades of blues & greens but we'll cross that bridge (w/ your help) when I get to it.

I think that a round table lends itself better to the shape of our DR better than a rectangular one since the one wall is sort of bay windowesqe w/ a built in storage bench.

What do you think of her?

Mr. Fox is so patient............he's going to get it and it's at least an hour to an hour and a half drive. Mr. Fox is the best!

Comments (13)

• zippity1
    9 years ago

maybe you can use some of them to trade for something you need more?

if you cut it down, it would make a good coffee table.....

i too have an affinity for dining tables, but i'm currently on a binge, "getting rid of extraneous stuff".....

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

Foxie, you're not alone in your addiction! I have one with claw feet(someone removed the large glass balls)that's in the GR. I keep pictures on it, and have a slipper chair on each side~it doesn't look out of place. I have 2 others in the garage that will get painted and will take them to my antique spot at the mall.

And don't forget, you can separate the two halves, and use separately as nightstands, either side of a fireplace, across from each other in a foyer~you'll have to secure to the wall. Tables are good finds!

• lucillle
    9 years ago

You got a DEAL!!! It is a nice table! Are you planning to stain or paint?

• TxMarti
    9 years ago

Very nice table. I need to join your group. I can't seem to stop buying tables either.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Same here, and still looking.

• ttodd
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oops, meant I DON'T think that it will go w/ my more whimsical style in the DR.

Patty_Cakes - what wonderful suggestions! You have a spot at an antiques mall? Would you mind if I e-mailed you about that?

Lucille - Probably just refinishing the top.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Well, Foxes, you and I should live together! I am a sucker for dining chairs! I do not, however, give in as my DH is not quite as accepting of having several SETS of chairs. Sigh.

• bonnieann925
    9 years ago

She's beautiful! Round tables are conducive to conversation and tend to look good in most rooms.

We have 4 dining tables currently in use in our home, having just giving up the 5th to a DD who moved out. I once bought a set from an antique dealer and had it shipped here, dry brushed it, used it for a year and sold it-at a profit!

Don't even get me going on DR chairs!

You are so lucky your DH is handy!

• ttodd
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A client brought the real deal of a Biedermeier style pedestal DR table into the shop for refinishing. It was massive. I never saw one that big before. I would just drool over it every time I was at the shop. Always commenting on it. Hoping that they would never return to pick it up.

I think that was the reason Mr. Fox didn't even question me when I threw this at him at 6AM after I woke him up. Even after I told him how far he'd have to drive to pick it up. He just smiled and said no problem. He must have remembered.

• oldbat2be
    9 years ago

Wolf whistle from this end... it looks great!

• always1stepbehind
    9 years ago

Are 9???? I'm almost embarrassed to admit it!!! All used, but still....I am sure my neighbors think I'm a total loon driving in with yet another CL find ;-)

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Ok so you all got me to thinking that I should just give in to my wants.

I actually bought another house that holds a lot of furniture that is over flow. I am renting it to tenants right now but I want to swap out the dining room furniture here to the more formal set that I have there.

We have a great local consignment shop and I have passed up two tables that I really wanted because I have no space for them here. Hmmm maybe I could use a table in my foyer.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Here is a little mahogany table that I bought a few weeks ago for less than $30. It fits that spot perfectly.