Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lorishopaholic

Fan or light for living room

lorishopaholic
9 years ago

I am working on order new lighting for our house this week. I posted about my kitchen area as well. I would love suggestions for my living room. The ceiling is 10 ft. We have plenty of light with the recessed light but we need to replace the middle boob light with something. We don't really use fans but we thought about a fan here. The problem is most aren't really attractive. I could go for a pretty light fixture or a fan.

Comments (21)

• lorishopaholic
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another view

• lorishopaholic
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Is this too industrial for my room?

• monicakm_gw
    9 years ago

Whatever you get, imo it needs to be larger. That light fixture looks like something for a small entry or a hallway. Not sure what the size of the fan it but it looks tiny. I went with Craftmade fans (made in America...in 2007). Bought 3. Have been very pleased with them. I think most or all of them can be had with or without light kits.

Here is a link that might be useful: Craftmade Fans

• monicakm_gw
    9 years ago

Or this

• monicakm_gw
    9 years ago

Or this? You've got plenty of light but there would be times I'd just want the one light without the recessed cans.

This post was edited by monicakm on Mon, Aug 25, 14 at 16:49

• sixtyohno
    9 years ago

We went with the invisible fan. It not intrusive and it is easy to clean because there are no grills or decorations.

http://www.thisnext.com/item/7F9B87D6/Artemis-Translucent-Ceiling

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I would delete the boob light and patch the ceiling. How about adding some lamps, since you already have overhead light from the cans?

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I'm with errant: No light or fan there, and get a bunch of interesting lamps, maybe including a floor lamp.

As for fans, go on eBay and get one of those table oscillating fans they made in the 1980s. They're GREAT. and you pull them out when you need it, and put them away when you don't.

• stolenidentity
    9 years ago

Because you have the electrical service there, I would take the light away and put a fan there. Distribution of the heat from the fireplace when in use would be a great use of the fan, as well as cooling the room in hot temps. The one you showed is okay as far as the color but not really for the room. I think something like this would look better (in black though):

• badgergal
    9 years ago

I think the first fan you posted is too industrial looking. I have the fan that Sixtyohno recommended except mine is wood toned. It is a great looking fan It has an optional light but I think it looks much better without a light. I also have the Minka Aire Wave fan in the same wood tone look as the Artemis fan. I think the Wave fan is less bulky looking than the Artemis and other fans posted. The Minka Wave is less expensive than the Artemis. There is also a version of the Wave that has a light but again, IMO it looks better without the light.
    Both of my fans are the quietest fans I have ever owned. They do a very good job of moving the air and neither one wobbles at all.
    Here is the Wave

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

How about just putting some kind of a decorative medallion up there? They come in all kinds of designs.

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

You could always just put a matching can light there....would make the ceiling seamless with nothing hanging down. But if I had to choose, it would be a fan...you have enough lighting with the cans.

• always1stepbehind
    9 years ago

As ugly and offensive I've always thought ceiling fans to be, I had white ceiling fans installed in the bedrooms some years ago thinking that white would blend in or away with the ceiling color.

Fast forward to this year, while looking for a ceiling fan for my living area and now going with a wood stain color fan, after researching images on the web, I have found that white fans are the most offensive (IMO)....and I found I actually like the look of the wood toned or even black in some spaces.

I personally think a ceiling fan would actually look nice in your space.

Try googling images of living rooms or family rooms with ceiling fans, you may find some inspiration there.

Your room is gorgeous by the way!!

• Karenseb
    9 years ago

I think a fan would look great there.
    I'm not a fan :) of white fans. I think a bronze or dark wood tone fan would look nice.

• monicakm_gw
    9 years ago

I think it depends on the room. We've had ceiling fans in our home since we built it 33 years ago back in 1981. Colors ranging from French Blue and pink to stained wood to (off) white. Currently I have off white in the kitchen, master bathroom and master bedroom. I wanted them to blend into the ceiling and they do. They're the same color. Stained fans in the guest bedroom, office and (2) in the den. I went back and forth whether or not to put one in the dining room. I wanted a chandelier over the table but I couldn't imagine not having one over the table. Went with the chandy but found this at Hobby Lobby. Perfect! You can see it in the far left back corner of this picture sitting on the side-table. I was about to buy one of those that mount on the wall in a corner up by the ceiling. Glad I spotted this one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bronze Decorative Fan on a Stand

• lorishopaholic
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions. I think we will go with a fan. I like this one but is it too modern for my room. I really don't want a traditional looking fan but I don't want it to stick out and look out of place either. This one is the Minka roto in orb.

• lorishopaholic
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Or this one? Sasafras-what brand is the one you posted? I like it to.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I like that last one, Lori. Seems perfect for your room.

• monicakm_gw
    9 years ago

Good choice :) Be sure and check the blade pitch of the fan you choose. More pitch equals more air movement.

Here is a link that might be useful: 5 Factors That Determine Ceiling Fan Airflow

• Karenseb
    9 years ago

The last fan would look great with your sofas and furnishings.

• likewhatyoudo
    9 years ago

I have the last fan posted it is from Home depot

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Hampton-Bay-Altura-68-in-Oil-Rubbed-Bronze-Ceiling-Fan-68168/203933073?N=5yc1vZbvlqZ1z0tey8

We love it! I did not like ceiling fans but we have high vaulted ceilings and It is quiet and moves a lot of air I now want a fan in my bedroom. They make a smaller one in a silver finish too,