Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roorezzi

new to area rugs... need help

roorezzi
15 years ago

Hi All -

We are putting in a hardwood floor int he next coming weeks and I am starting to look for area rugs. We splurged on a more expensive floor - hence the reason for now installing it DIY. So I will prob be slowly purchasing the area rugs.

The overall size of the room is 13x26. Here are pics of the room as is..

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

I will prob need approx an 8x10 for the large LR area - but I think I may want something for the area with the desk. There are also 2 halls off the LR (by the couches) that will need runners.

I tend to like some of the rugs with a traditional flair but also like some of the contemporary. DH definetely likes a bit more contemporary but nothing too busy.

here are 2 that he and I liked:

My main issue is that I didn't want them all to be matchy matchy - but what would look good with any of these - I don't think they could go together??

Here is the floor that we are putting in

{{!gwi}}

I am going to need to get new curtains - but I am waiting to see what rugs we pick for the LR before I pick a curtain color. I am worried about too many patterns in the same area with curtains and possibly 2 different rugs. I am also planning on getting an ottoman to replace the table there.

Budget - I would like to stay on the lower end for pricing - the ones I picked there were from JCP and the prices weren't bad. Anyone have experience with JCP rugs?

Also - the armoire is there for now til we get a flat screen - which might be this xmas. I am working on painting a photo screen to hide the back of the armoire.

Thanks in advance for help!

Ruth

Comments (10)

• momtotwins
    15 years ago

I just looked at both of these rugs! I like them both! I am not much help though b/c I am also looking for rugs!

• laurience
    15 years ago

Hello,

I like the first rug however love the colors of the 2nd. I can't see why these two rugs won't go together.

Joanne

• roorezzi
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks momtotwins!

Laurience - you think they would go good together - I was afraid they would clash. hmmm. I wonder - which one to put where!! LOL...

anyone have any other ideas for rugs?

Ruth

• Valerie Noronha
    15 years ago

I'm terrible at selecting rugs. It takes me forever, but overstock.com, Tuesday Morning and Home Decorator's Club are all good places to check for reasonably priced rugs. Another possibility is to check Craigslist and/or eBay for a used Karastan which make excellent quality rugs. The advantage here is you can view the new ones at Home Expo or Macys, pick a pattern(s) you like and then search eBay for that pattern. Organic_smallhome is selling virtually a new Karastan (ivory/red) which did not go with her color scheme. It's the Ivory Ashara rug.

Try to stick to wool if you can afford it. It's hard to say if the rugs would match or clash. The red/burgundy colors would need to be compared IRL, but it looks a possibility.

If you do want to order a rug over the internet, one suggestion is to purchase the smallest size to compare colors as if the larger size does not work, you will be out the cost of the return shipping.

• roorezzi
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks valinsv -

i have checked overstock but didn;t check the others. Unfortunately I don't have a Tuesday Morning near me.

I'll have to try ordering the small rugs to get an idea of the colors - thats a good idea.

I have a little while to look and order since we won't need anything for at least 2 weeks.

Thanks

• parma42
    15 years ago

I don't think rugs have to match at all, but that's just me. I've seen older homes with 8 or more different ones.

One trick you can use if you're not quite as adventerous, is to look for a rug (usually traditional) that comes in different colors but the same design. What they do with them is to flip flop the border colors with the inside pattern. So if you have a gold and red color scheme, one rug would be gold in the middle and red on the border, then vice versa.

• roorezzi
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I've been looking at some other rugs - all styles. I do not mind a rug that is a little more traditional - I think DH prefers something a little more contemporary - but not too much so.

So now I am confused... we are on a budget - big time.. so trying to find reasonably priced rugs that don't look cheap. Thats why I was looking at JCP. The above "patchwork" like rug will be around 20 shipped. So I am using that as a guideline.

Was looking at a rug link from another post and found a bunch of 5x8 on clearance that are a bit more traditional but couln't find anything in 8x10 for the large part of the room. I don;t think I can mic these more traditional with the one above..

here is what I found that I liked - do you have any other suggestions as to what might work.. Please help!!

These are from Rugs USA
    5' x 8' Wool Hand Tufted Panel Multi Rug ($129)

5' x 8' Wool Machine Made Heritage II Brown Rug
    ($164 +30%off)

5' x 8' Wool Hand Tufted Dami Brown Rug ($177+30%off) Like the style unsure of colors.

5' x 8' Wool Machine Made Kingdom Tan Rug ($164+30% off)

These are all for the area where we have our desk - Please Help if you have any other suggestions. Also - just a side not - we have attempted to layout this room 3 times and nothing seems to work great. We are considering trying to look at other furniture options if we can sell ours for a decent amount to cover the costs.

Thanks, Ruth

• roorezzi
    Original Author
    15 years ago

i found one more that was in 8x10 but it is a little more than we could afford since we need to get 5x8 and possibly some runners too....

:-(
    AAHHHHHH...

Also - I see that it has 30 day guarentee - but how much would shipping be back to them?? anyone know...???

Here is a link that might be useful: I know its a great price - but a little too much for us :-(

• xien
    15 years ago

After buying our new home in Maine we needed several new area rugs for our home and being on a budget we were having a hard time finding quality vs. pricing. After a long search we finally found a place in New York that is completely full service and they will work with all of thier pricing with just a phone call. I have left thier link below if anyone is in need for Great Area Rugs. Trust me just call them, this is a great time to get great pricing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Accent Area Rugs

• dilly_dally
    15 years ago

Ugh. More rug SPAM from Chinese importers.