Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jterrilynn

C/Post My porcelain wood look bed/ bath floor is down yeah! (pic)

jterrilynn
9 years ago

Since you all helped with my porcelain wood look plank tile questions I thought I would share the outcome.
So far my crew is working faster than lighting on my bath gut and bedroom floor remodel. Love my floor! I actually didn't think I would like it as much as I do. Originally I sort of thought I was settling on something. Most of my house is open plan with the vibrant cherry kitchen being an attention hog. I wanted to pick a floor that blended somewhat with what the house was already saying even though that area has an off white tile. On top of that I was further limited on what I could get as PO had tiled over existing tile in the living areas so I had a height issue. Then, of course things started adding up so my first floor choice of a much more expensive porcelain plank went out the door and I had to readjust the floor budget. This is a fairly cheap porcelain wood look plank at $2.38 a sf but I'm happy. We ran the same flooring through the bedroom and bathroom. I think my off warm white vanities will look pretty in the contrast. The tile guy wanted to do some kind of strategic layout but I wanted a staggered layout. I like the staggered better. And, I picked a dark grout (much darker than tile) called espresso. It's hard to tell in the picture but there is a slight grain in the tile.
This picture is from the bedroom door. The bathroom was done today so I'll have to wait for that picture.
picture.

This post was edited by jterrilynn on Sun, Aug 31, 14 at 8:15

Comments (9)

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

You must be so happy and cleaning will be a breeze with a damp mop. I really like the color variations within the planks. It looks like you had a meticulous installer.

• bbstx
    9 years ago

Looking good!

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

It looks great!

• User
    9 years ago

Congratulations! I have liked that tile for a long time and just never had anywhere to put it. Now I can just enjoy yours vicariously :-)

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    9 years ago

$238 a square foot is cheap? I must be reading your post wrong. But, it is lovely.

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Fun2B3Here, I canâÂÂt tell you how happy I will be Not to be a floor slave in this area of the house. I have a big Rottweiler and a Maltese so donâÂÂt need any more labor like my lighter tile gives me in living areasâ¦even though I have a big floor steamer.

Bbstx and Holly-Kay, thank you!!!

Kswl, I hold your complement very highly, thank you!

Seagrass, for porcelain that is a good price but you can get ceramic cheaper. I do hope you donâÂÂt think me rude for bringing up price but sometimes I think it good to show things for those of us on a tighter budget who seek to achieve a nicer look. However, so glad you like it! I have been looking at cement floors since just after purchase. It had stinky stained beige carpet that was gross ( and immediately ripped out) and a hideously remodeled moldy bathroom.

On another note, now I canâÂÂt wait for the baseboards!

• nanny2a
    9 years ago

Are you sure thatâÂÂs $238 per SF? That means a 10 x 15â room would be $35,700!!! A 5 x 9 bath a mere $10, 710. Gulp, if thatâÂÂs working with a tight budget IâÂÂd hate to see what a flooring for an entire house would run -

ItâÂÂs lovely, but at those prices definitely out of my league. ThatâÂÂs more than the total new home SF building cost is for this neck of the woods!

This post was edited by nanny2a on Sat, Aug 30, 14 at 23:55

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

I think there has to be a decimal point missing! Maybe more like $2. 38 per square foot?
    I have looked at several of the porcelain wood look tile and it was in that range at Lowe's. For example...

Here is a link that might be useful: Tile at Lowe's

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yep there was a missing decimal lol! Lowes does have some very good price points for porcelain. The trouble I had was that in the beginning I did not want any shine and was hoping to get more of a flat/matte unglazed rectified tile with the color all through in case of a chip. The prices on those tiles can be very pricey. I did find a tile I loved with all those characteristics for around $4 DECIMAL 25, which wasnâÂÂt too bad but I had to make some compromises to the budget as my plumbing portion was way off. This tile claims a matte finish but does have a glaze. ItâÂÂs as close as I could get to what I originally had in mind.