Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Standing-seam color for cedar and black home

Posted by Kiwigem (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 4, 14 at 15:25

Hi! we are building a new rustic-scandinavian type home. The general vibe is a barn plus a one story wing. Most of the siding is vertical varied width cedar (natural) with color blocks of stone and black board and batten. We will have a standing seam roof, and I am leaning toward the clear coated galvalume, but haven't seen it in person. Could also go with a painted grey. Any thoughts?

thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Standing-seam color for cedar and black home

How would you feel about doing an actual color?

o

My first thought was to do a darker grey. I'm not a huge fan of a light roof. Just my opinion, but a darker roof seems to ground a bldg and give it presence. However, I can't quite picture your house, so maybe the clear coat would look good with what you've got going on. Do you have a mock up you could post?

o

Hi,
Thanks for chiming in. I hesitate to do a color, because I think we don't want anything to clash with future paint changes. For example, we may tire of the Swedish looking black panels and opt to paint them barn red (our runner up choice) someday.

These aren't our final elevations below, but they are darn close. The light areas are the cedar, and the darker areas are the board and batten:

This post was edited by Kiwigem on Mon, Aug 4, 14 at 22:30

o

shameless bump for more help :-)

o

Gosh, that is really going to be beautiful. Yes, I like the lighter roof on it. I think it really suits.

Keep posting pics as it gets done. I'd love to see it.

o

a Lt. medium gray/pewter would look nice, both with black or red. Your home plan looks beautiful. There are some pics on Houzz, like this one. I generally dont like lighter roofs, but they look great on this style home.

o

daisychain, thank you! I will!

massagerocks, I don't know how I missed that one with the amount of time I spend on Houzz! It's just the mix of materials we are using, so that is really helpful!

o

Plain galvalume would look great - very "barn" and versatile.

o

Your house looks great. Just check the finish warranty on your roof. For some manufacturers the metallic finishes do not have as long a warranty as the Kynar finishes. Good luck!

o

Oaktown- thanks, I didn't know that! I will pay close attention.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here