Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sochi

Cottage Couch and Chair Reupholstered - Awesome

sochi
9 years ago

Well I do what I'm told! I had the mid century couch reupholstered in an indigo fabric to match the blue indigo stripe in the Hudson Bay Company's Points Blanket, and I love both pieces. Thanks Gardenweb! Pal was right - the couch was/is very well made and well worth the investment of reupholstering. Have a look at the before and after shots. I've included a Group of Seven style painting by a local artist I know as the indigo colours play perfectly with the painting. A little modern indigo Canadiana all around for this cottage.

Please overlook the clutter, my living is quickly filling up with cottage furniture!

Comments (36)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Wonderful! Are you able to use the cottage yet?

• sas95
    9 years ago

That looks fantastic!

• allison0704
    9 years ago

Gorgeous!

• lynninnewmexico
    9 years ago

Great choices! Love the painting, too.
    Lynn

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Wow! Really great!

• powermuffin
    9 years ago

Looks perfect!
    Diane

• cozyplace
    9 years ago

Really nice~enjoy your cottage :)

• ttodd
    9 years ago

Oh how cool!!!!

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Love it!

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

I love the Hudson Bay blanket upholstery on the chair and the sofa looks terrific in indigo. Great choice!

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

It's much better than attempting a half measure, isn't it?

I lived for a few years with a mid-century sofa with an auction lot number written on the upholstery with a Sharpee, and one Milo Baughman chair in original tattered fake fur and one in blue 1990s traditional fabric. So I think it's better to either bite the bullet or wait to until you can bite the bullet rather than compromise with some interim measure.

• Jules
    9 years ago

Beautiful and so cool. Love the combo.

• gsciencechick
    9 years ago

These turned out so great! Wow.

• sochi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone. Yes, you're absolutely right Pal.

The points blanket chair probably doesn't make much sense to most of you, but this blanket is iconic here in Canada. Short of having a Mountie or red maple leaf on a chair I don't think there is anything that more powerfully evokes Canadian history, geography, the outdoors, forests, waterways and canoeing for the average Canadian. So a good fit for our cottage and something I've wanted since I researched a rustic modern DAT thread here a few years ago. I'm just thrilled with how it turned out.

Mtn - argh, no. I'm not at all thrilled with the pace of things and I'm pissed at both the GC and the architect at the moment. Fingers crossed for the end of August.

• jakabedy
    9 years ago

That's perfect!!

• kswl2
    9 years ago

I love the points blanket upholstery, sochi--- it looks fresh and nostalgic all at the same time! And the navy sofa is the perfect counterpoint. Great choices and they came out beautifully!

• arlosmom
    9 years ago

Fabulous! I especially LOVE how the sofa came out. It has great lines.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Well done! Excellent choice!

• sameboat
    9 years ago

Oh wow! I LOVE all your pieces! That came out beautiful. Really beautiful. It's making me want to rethink my style a bit here...uh oh.

• kaijutokusatsu
    9 years ago

Very nice! However, the nap is reversed on the third cushion.

• Oaktown
    9 years ago

Brilliant. Love the lines of your furniture.

• indygo
    9 years ago

Gorgeous!

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

I just love the navy sofa with the chair. Not at all what I would choose for me, but definitely will be gorgeous in your cottage.

• ediej1209 AL Zn 7
    9 years ago

I love how that blue really emphasizes the couch's lines, much more so than the original color did. And the chair just looks so inviting! Great job.

• teeda
    9 years ago

I love the blanket as upholstery on the chair, and the indigo sofa fabric was a perfect companion choice! So glad you decided to do them both. I can't wait to see the rest of your space!

• sochi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone!

kaijutokusatsu - I noticed that in the pictures, it has been corrected, thanks!

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Both pieces look great :)

• Lyban zone 4
    9 years ago

Oh that is beautiful Sochi. I understand exactly where you are coming from.
    Another Canadian here with a HB Blanket that my brother gifted me on my 60th Birthday.
    And I just bought the HB Beach Towel. I gifted myself for that one.

Did you use two blankets for the chair or can you buy the wool in yardage.

• sochi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks lyban! I don't think you can buy the wool by the yard, so I bought a king size off kijiji for $150 and had it cleaned, then used my existing queen sized blanket that I don't use that much on the chair. My sister gave me the queen sized one as a wedding gift. Although I was at first reluctant to cut it up I felt that it would get a lot more visibility and use as an awesome chair. She is happy, I'm happy, and I still have a HUGE king size points blanket to use on the bed in winter.

What a special birthday gift from your brother! The beach and bath towels went on sale this summer - first time I've ever seen them on sale! I bought four bath and two beach!

Of course this is my ultimate HBC dream ...

This post was edited by sochi on Wed, Aug 13, 14 at 23:30

• Lyban zone 4
    9 years ago

Oh, wouldn't that canoe be just the thing for your cottage.
    You are an enabler, I did not know there were bath towels, I just bought myself one beach with the sale price. I washed it after receiving it yesterday and I am not so sure about the quality, but I don,t care because I love the look.

• lazydaisynot
    9 years ago

Just gorgeous! I recognized the Hudson Bay motif right away even thought I grew up in Michigan. We had some at our "up north" cabin. Ah, those were the days.

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

WOW! Your style is **my** style! When can I move in? No kidding, of all the pics posted on this site, yours are the ones that ring my bell. And remind me that I need to get going and reupholster my chairs and sofas... ;-)

• Bethpen
    9 years ago

I just LOVE it! Both pieces look wonderful. Great job.

• Laurie
    9 years ago

I love how it turned out! The indigo fabric of the couch goes perfect with the chair. The wood on the furniture & the fabric colors look great with your flooring, too.

• rockybird
    9 years ago

I LOVE it! Great choice on colors! They look great. I have mcm chairs I need to get reupholstered...you are inspiring me. And seriously, that canoe is awesome!

• akl_vdb
    9 years ago

From one Canadian to another, love it!