Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nhb22

Outdoor cushion color help

nhb22
10 years ago

I found Sunbrella brand deep seated cushions on sale in two colors. I cannot decide which to use.

One is called Pearl. Looks white in the online ad, but Sunbrella's site shows it looking a creamy yellow, while another site shows it looking lite grayish. I would consider that to be a "pearl" color.

The other color is called Rust. Online site shows it looking almost a salmon color. Sunbrella's doesn't show this color, and other sites show it looking a deep rust, orange or even having a plum tint.

Is anyone familiar with either of these colors?

Also, in the case of Pearl, would you put a light creamy yellow or a light whitish gray fabric on your screened porch? It is suppose to be fade and water resistant, so I assume the fabric would clean well.

Comments (25)

• no_green_thumb
    10 years ago

I purchased a patio set this Spring. The cushions are Sunbrella and are a rust color. I don't know how many "rusts" Sunbrella makes.
    I do remember reading a review where the person said she expected the cushions to be red, but they were rust. I don't know where she bought it or how it was advertised.
    Mine are definitely a rust - almost with a bit of variegation in the fabric - almost like some darker threads going through, but definitely a warm rust with yellow undertones.
    HTH

• nhb22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am sorry... I was wrong about Rust being on Sunbrella's website. Here is a sample from the website. Does yours look anything like this?

Here is a link that might be useful: Rust

• nhb22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a site that shows all the reddish colors

Here is a link that might be useful: Swatches

• nhb22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is the Pearl on Sunbrella. What color do you see?

Here is a link that might be useful: Pearl

• nhb22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I found this YouTube video of Pearl.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pearl video

• no_green_thumb
    10 years ago

Mine looks closer to the Grenadine. All of the rust colors on the swatches look way more orange than mine. Probably doesn't help you much! I looked on the cushions to see if there were any numbers - but there is just the Sunbrella tag

• nhb22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That actually helps a lot!

I am now leaning toward the Pearl. I actually got out my grandmothers two strings of pearls and they ARE on the yellowish side.

In addition, I saw a Chaise cushion in the Pearl color which is on the same website where I found the sale. Although the Pearl looks more whitish gray in the photo of the cushions that I need, the Chaise color looks almost identical to the video color. Furthermore, I noticed the description says that the color family is Cream/Beige/Almond with a base color of white.

I think that the Cream/Beige/Almond cushion will be a nice compliment to our Terra Cotta stained floors, and the patio and fireplace that is a combo brick. The porch will look nice and bright! I just hope that the cushions hold up well and that they are scrubbable if needed.

We have a couch in our den that has similar coloring. I took a cushion outside and tried it in our brown wicker-look chairs and it looks real good. We will be changing our couches in the near future to a slightly darker color, so it will not matter if they are in areas near each other.

• no_green_thumb
    10 years ago

I have not tried to scrub mine yet. With the awful, cool, rainy summer, we have not even had the cushions out much! And I was so looking forward to lounging on the patio. Luckily, the chairs on the set we bought can be used without cushions, so it worked out okay.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    10 years ago

When I look at Pearl on my 'good' monitor, the color that jumps to mind is pale yellow. It's slightly more yellow on their site than the You Tube video.

Do you have a photo of the furniture in your porch that you plan to use the cushions on?

• nhb22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, I think the color on the website is more yellow..at least I hope so! I am following up this post with the two photos of the cushions in question from the website I am ordering from. As you will see, one looks more yellow, while the other is a whitish/gray. Both are called Pearl.

This is not an updated photo. We have recently updated the porch and patio, but you will be able to see the wicker. I have planned to show Before and Afters of our project, but have not gotten around to it. ;)

• nhb22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pearl in cream

• nhb22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Looking white/gray

• no_green_thumb
    10 years ago

I think the lighter color will play nicely with your terra cotta floor and wicker. You have the advantage that you are enclosed - I was thinking outside patio - although we take our cushions in (and as I said, haven't put them out much this year). I think the rusty color I have would just blend into the furniture which would just blend into the floor. Nice choice!!!
    I haven't washed it yet - or even spot-cleaned, but the Sunbrella looks like a really tightly woven, sturdy fabric. Nice quality.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

Here is Pearl on Sunbrella's website when compared to other swatches

Here is a link that might be useful: Pearl Swatch

• nhb22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

How did you find that! I looked at the WHITES and must have just passed by it. It was probably the Dupione in front of Pearl that made me miss it. Thank you!

OK, so it sounds like it's the Dupione Pearl unless I hear a good objection.

My preference would have been the green apple color, but it is twice as much per cushion. We have been worrying about what to do when the current cushions faded too much (which they are rapidly doing). The furniture company does not sell replacements, and the others we have found have been so darn expensive. Ditto for having them made. I hope these will work.

Any other opinions?

• nhb22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Haven't ordered yet, but will do so this morning.

beverly27 - I figured out what I was doing wrong. I checked the box for Solids instead of texture. I missed seeing that box. Apparently, the Rust color has not texture and how it showed on my search.

Having the Dupione look may be smart in the long run because DH and I may close in the screened porch for a 3 season room, yet still have the option for all screen after the pollen passes. A silk look will be more inviting for an indoor room.

• jmck_nc
    10 years ago

We have several porch/patio pieces upholstered in Sunbrella and it wears like iron. We have a lighter sand color dupione on our outdoor furniture and it cleans up very well with a little oxyclean if there is a stain. At the outdoor furniture place where we bought our furniture they have a few colorful swatches of sunbrella floating in bleach to show how colorfast they are.
    Judy

• nhb22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, Judy. That helps so much to know. I think that the only cushion that may show wear and tear will be the ottomans because of shoes and feet. And if the cushions fade, they will not be as noticeable in a lighter color.

I have ordered the cushions. Cross your fingers for me that they will fit. I already know that I will have to take the ottoman cushions up in length. The nice thing about these is that I can return to a local store if they do not work.

• nhb22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

As I said above, I ordered the cushions on Friday around noon. They were waiting at my door when I got home yesterday afternoon - 24 hours later! They beat my shoe order from Zappos that sometimes has a record of 24 hour delivery. I have to hand it to Lowe's!

Have not unpacked all the cartons, but so far I am pleased with the quality and look of these cushions. As known, I will have to shorten the length on the ottoman cushions. Unfortunately, the ottoman cushions do not have zippers like the chair cushions. I will have to open up the seems and then close again when finished. I may add a zipper for washing, like the others. IMO, the ottomans will need washing before anything else.

Here are the seat cushions - still in plastic.

• nhb22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I wanted to show you the color up close. I compared the Pearl color with my real pearls. A perfect match. The color in real life is not nearly as yellow looking as the Sunbrella sample page. The cushions are really more white, with slight cream threads making up the Dupione look.

• jmck_nc
    10 years ago

They look perfect!

• nhb22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you...I am real pleased!

I thought the cushions would be rubbery and scratchy, but the fabric is on the softer side, yet still sturdy. The tag says they are scrubbable and machine washable.

Not bad to get 4 chair cushion sets and 2 ottoman cushions for $200 total! Free shipping, too.

• no_green_thumb
    10 years ago

perfect! I don't think the rust colors would have looked nearly as nice. Great choice!!!
    Show a pic when you get it all together!

• nhb22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I would show a picture, but we think we will leave the cushions wrapped up and save them until spring. The old cushions are still good for now.

This post was edited by newhomebuilder on Tue, Aug 27, 13 at 8:00

• nhb22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Had a panicking moment during the night and worried that I had not thought about whether the cushions would fit on the loveseat. I worried for nothing. Fits like a glove, with no wiggle room, however. whew!