Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
holly_kurtz

What is your favorite pillow?

Holly- Kay
9 years ago

Thanks to Cyn47 and an earlier post I am getting ready to order a summer bed set from Rough Linen. While I am at it I want to swap out my pillows.

In the past I always used feather or down pillows but about three years ago I switched to memory foam. Though they feel comfortable I find myself longing for the feel of a wonderfully soft down pillow.

I would love to know your favorite pillow brand and also what fill you prefer and why? TIA for answers.

Comments (52)

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

BP that sounds amazing. I love a soft pillow but I sleep on my side so I need something that remains fluffy and doesn't flatten out.

Ded, I agree. I adore the St Barts blue and white striped curtains!

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

I'm a stomach and side sleeper with some neck issues. I found bead filled pillows by Homedics hawked by Tony Little on HSN a few years ago and fell in love. I had tried a Japanese buckwheat pillow before and found it too hard, but the plastic (I guess) beads are more comfortable. The Homedics pillow feels hard when you first lay on it, but once it is shaped to your head, it cradles it just right. The only negative is that they need to be replaced every year or so because they seem to lose their shape.

I've heard very good things about the memory foam pillows for side sleepers mentioned by Dedtired. I think I might try one of those just to see how I like it.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Natura natural Latex Ultimate pillow. This pillow is just the right balance between firm and soft. I have two, because I ordered the standard first, and Canadian standard is smaller than American, then got a queen. I keep the standard on my sofa. My neighbor's daughter put her head on it one day and immediately mentioned how great the pillows, that she wanted one. Her parents ended up giving her one for Christmas last year.

Can't even describe it. Firm enough that it holds your head, but soft enough that it doesn't hurt your ears after lying on them for a while.

They're great. You can get them in some American mattress stores.

Here is a link that might be useful: Natura pillows

• TxMarti
    9 years ago

We like Rejuvenite pillows. Got a free one several years ago when we bought our bed and we both liked it so well we had to get another. Since then, everyone who sleeps on them love them and we've bought more for family members.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

marti, that's a latex pillow like my Natura. They're AWESOME, aren't they? I believe Talalay latex is the natural stuff, which you want in a pillow - no off-gassing.

I LOVE my latex pillows!

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tib and Marti, are they both wrapped in wool to wick away moisture? I found the Natura queen size at Amazon for 85 with no shipping charge.

Marti, I went to the Rejuvenite link but I didn't know which one you have.

The memory foam that I have now has a cool gel layer but it only feels cool at first and then starts to get warm to the point of too darned hot.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

holly-kay, this is the description of the Natura Ultimate, which is the one I have. This description doesn't fit mine, though, which is three years old. Mine is all latex with the terry cloth cover. I then bought a thick wool pillow case for it, along with a wool mattress pad, which I love. I'll see if I can find the site.

"The Ultimate Latex Pillow brushes up the comfort in your boudoir. Ease away neck and back tension with the springy support of a solid Talalay latex core, while you enjoy itâÂÂs hypoallergenic and anti-bacterial advantages. This natural foam latex pillow has a cozy NaturaWool⢠lining that regulates temperature and wicks away moisture so your pillow stays dry and cool during the night. With a velvety-soft, removable, terry cotton cover to keep it fresh and ensure easy hygiene, youâÂÂll find deeper, more restful nights."

• bac717
    9 years ago

bpathome - those pillow sound heavenly. Isn't there any information on a tag on the pillow that would help identify them?

tibbrix - those Natura pillows sound great. I'll have to check them out.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Found it! These are the wool pillow cover and mattress pad I have. Machine washable.

Here is a link that might be useful: St. Dormier wool pillow protector and pad

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

If you have someone who likes to nap on the sofa, the standard size in the Natura is perfect! they have other styles, though, not just the Ultimate, so check them out.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

And btw, I've had my Natural latex pillows for three years, and they haven't lost their shape at all!

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tib, thanks for the link. If I get the Natura pillow do you think I will need the pillow covers?

I do want to purchase the mattress pad as the one I have gets bunched up and drives me nutso.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I don't think you need it. But I suppose I got it for a reason! I'm a real snob when it comes to bedding. Wool and cotton only. If I were a millionaire, I'd be one of those buying $500 sheets! Good bedding that regulates temperature; good stainless steel and cast iron cookware, and a swimming pool, the only luxuries I care aboutâ¦and I'm still waiting on the pool!

What you don't want to do with a latex pillow is put a cotton pillow protector on it (or poly). For whatever reason, they get all turned on the pillow, and it's a mess.

These pillow really are like laying your head on a cloud.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I think Marti's Rejuvenite is exactly the same as the Natura, but maybe in American sizes. Don't know, though, what they have for a cover.n But hers is also the Talalay latex, which is the natural latex.

• teeda
    9 years ago

I also have latex foam pillows that we purchased when we bought our latex mattress. Don't know the brand. They were close to $100 each, but I love them. Best pillow ever. Now I know why some people drag their pillows around with them!

• teeda
    9 years ago

I also have latex foam pillows that we purchased when we bought our latex mattress. Don't know the brand. They were close to $100 each, but I love them. Best pillow ever. Now I know why some people drag their pillows around with them!

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It seems like the layer of wool is what makes these so comfy. I wonder what the dimensions are on the queen size pillow? I really would like the pillow case to fit snugly on the pillow because if the case gets twisted I end up with lines on my face for hours after I wake up. The old skin isn't what it used to be.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

It's the latex that makes them so comfy, bouncy, soft and yet hold your head.

If I was home, Holly-kay, I'd measure mine for you. (I'm lying against the standard one now! They travel with me!). But I"m not home; don't know where a measuring tape is.

And btw, can I just vent for a moment and say that ,my tenants last week TRASHED my house. Second group of tenants in a row who left it an absolute mess. I don't get that.

• TxMarti
    9 years ago

I found a different link. Mine is the Restora, a high loft pillow. And like Tibbrex said, they never distort or flatten. When I have a headache, I can't sleep on a normal fiberfill pillow without it feeling like I am sleeping on a rock. These never feel like that. Mine don't have a wool liner, and they can get warm, but no more than the cushion top on the mattress. I am very hot natured these days and it's not warm enough to bother me. Mine has a zippered cover that feels like plush polyester.

btw, mattress firm had them on sale before Christmas one year, and we bought some for our kids then. They were around $45 I think. The next year I wanted one to replace one I put in the dryer to kill any dust mites, and it got that funky latex smell, but they weren't on sale that year. :(

Don't put them in the dryer.

This post was edited by marti8a on Sun, Aug 3, 14 at 21:35

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the info Tib. I found the dimensions and I ordered it in the queen size from Amazon. I can't wait to get it!

I am so sorry that your tenants trashed your home. When we vacation our goal is to leave the cottage as pristine or more so than we found it. I don't understand either how people can have such little regard for another's property. The agency that we rent through takes a deposit that they don't refund if the renters trash things. We even make sure that we leave toilet paper and paper towels for the next tenant in case they wait until they arrive to stock up.

• cawaps
    9 years ago

By coincidence, I just bought a couple pillows today. I bought an "Indulgence by Isotonic" pillow at Bed, Bath, and Beyond a while back and ended up absolutely loving it. It's polyester, but unlike most polyester pillows it can be molded and shaped liked down, and holds its shape without springing back. Which is something I need for my neck--a roll here, a poof there, and I'm good.

Anyway, I liked it enough that I just bought two more so that I could retire the rest of my down pillows.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

CA, a good pillow and mattress makes a world of difference in a good night's sleep.

• three3apples
    9 years ago

The last time I was in Vienna I stayed at a hotel that put two down pillows atop one another. They looked too thin to sleep on just one so I tried sleeping on both and those were the best night's sleep I'd ever had. I inquired about buying them, but they only referred me to a local linen store that sold similar, but not the same, pillows for several hundred a piece. I'd give anything for a pair of those.
    Currently I sleep on one W Hotel cloud pillow. It's only just ok. :(

• denali2007
    9 years ago

After buying a customized latex mattress from sleepez I couldn"t believe how well I slept Two years ago, I bought a shredded latex pillow. I was formally a lover of down pillows but this is so much better. They are big and fluffy and you can take out some of the shredded latex. I bought 2 pillows and was able to make a 3rd with the extra latex. It looks like cottage cheese. Warning it can get quite messy if you don't do it right. I also bought the travel size and yes I drag my own pillow with me when I travel!
    I was fortunate enough to have one of their stores near me so I could try it out ahead of time.

Here is a link that might be useful: Savvy rest latex pillow

• Danahills
    9 years ago

Deleted

This post was edited by jstell2008 on Fri, Sep 26, 14 at 20:51

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

denali, what a great website! Even if you don't buy a pillow from them, they have very wise info on getting a good nights sleep.

My favorite pillow, and believe me, I've tried enough to know , from plain old polyfil to down and memory foam, is My Pillow. My hubby and both love them so much that we've bought extras for travel to make sure we don't leave them behind, and we have done that, so we won't have to sleep without them again.
    We bought our first from a rep at a Post Exchange a couple Christmases ago and haven't stopped loving them.

Here is a link that might be useful: MyPillow site

• busybee3
    9 years ago

i prefer 100% down pillows- i sleep on 2 king size for stomach sleepers... (1 down pillow is never quite enough!) the pillows i currently have are from cuddledown- a medium level- not their priciest level of down pillows. i always buy extra down fill (for side or back sleepers) for my hub, so when making the bed nice, i have to try to flatten his pillows alittle more!

• amykath
    9 years ago

My absolute favorite pillow (and I say I love it everyday) is Lux Living Memory Foam Lux Gel PIllow. You can find them at Mattress Firm. They stay cool and its like you sink into it, although it is not super soft or super firm, but just right. I highly recommend it!

Here is a link that might be useful: Pillow

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Holly-kayâ¦now I'm nervous! I hope you love it.

I was in tears yesterdayâ¦I think more out of frustration at the lack of courtesy in leaving someone's house in that state.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks so much everyone, for your input. I decided to try the Natura pillow.

I have spent a small fortune on pillows in the last few years. During that time I have probably purchased 14 to 16, maybe more, pillows. The memory foam seemed to be the best but I always felt like my head was way too hot when I used them.

I loved down but they flattened so much that by morning I felt there was no pillow there.

I sure hope this Natura pillow is the answer because I am tired of buying pillows only to find that they don't work for me.

(((Hugs))) Tib. I can only imagine your frustration. I am dreading the day that I have long term tenants leave. I do think they will leave things in good condition but you never know until it happens.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Thanks Holly-kay. Unfortunately, mine are short-term renters, vacationers, and for some reason, they believe they've paid for the right to trash your house and have you pick up after them. Turnovers are about CLEANING, not picking up. Not washing dishes and emptying the dishwasher and cleaning out the refrigerator and cupboards. They can't even make sure all game pieces are accounted for when they put them away. I don't understand that. These people broke so many rules of my rental agreement, I really should have kept their security deposit. However, that's gotten very tough because, while these Web sites bring a lot of traffic and therefore business ,the dreaded negative review is something one wants to avoid at all costs! I'd be embarrassed to leave a house like that. these people had one child and even had a nanny! It completely boggles my mind. It almost feels like hostility. What it definitely feels like is that I'm picking up after children (as in the adults).

I'm so disgusted.

Having said that, prior to the last two batches of tenants, the tenants left the house in GREAT shape. I supply TP, linens, towels, beach towels, beach toys..so much. You'd think they'd treat a rental like that a tad better.

I'm really floored by how selfish Americans, as a culture, have become, thinking only of themselves and not caring how they affect others.

Do I sound bitter?

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

If you sound bitter Tibbrix, then I'm the same way. It appalls me they way many people treat others things. Heck many don't even take care of their own belongings anymore. It's a throw away world we live. Sad, very sad.

Holly Kate, I just Googled to see if I could find a cooling gel memory foam pillow cover, but found none. They do however, make memory foam pillows with gel toppers now.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Just, the one I have now has the cooling gel but it doesn't work for more than a few minutes. It feels wonderfully cool for a few minutes but then gets uncomfortably warm.
    My biggest pillow goof was when I bought my tempur-pedic mattress and bought pillows with it. The mattress is fabulous but the pillows are hard as rocks. I use them as a back prop for reading in bed but that is all they are good for. DH thinks I am insane. He will sleep on anything!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

holly-kay, if you're going whole hog on the pillow thing, you might consider getting a Thomas Lee PerfeCale queen pillow case for you Natura pillow. It's cool, very smooth cotton. I love mine.

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

Holly Kay was told by the sales clerk that it can take a year to break in a memory foam pillow! Not sure why anyone would want to suffer that long for the price they are!
    Sorry about miss typing your name in my previous post. Too many things on my mind, I guess.

I remember when I was a kid moving my head around the pillow when it was no longer cool. Luckily that doesn't bother enough to wake me anymore, but I do still like the cool feel of a pillow case.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

How does anyone (not just GWebbers) know whether they are a side-sleeper or a back or stomach-sleeper? I'd have to take video to know that, I turn so much during the night. I need a new mattress AND new pillows, but its such a big expense, I'm afraid to make [another] mistake. I love tempurpedic for body comfort, but not for the heat aspect. I'm going to have to find a natural latex store.

• osagecounty
    9 years ago

Dh is allergic to latex and wool makes me itch ... so that one's out.

A year to break in a memory foam? That can't be right.

I've been buying a firm down alternative. They're good for about a year and then I wash or replace.

• msrose
    9 years ago

I've never used a pillow cover before. Do you sleep on the cover or put a pillowcase over the cover?

I'm not picky about my pillows, but I want to try one of the latex now just to see what it's like!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Pillow covers protect the pillow from sweat and other ooeys. I have them on all of my pillows, then cases over them. Otherwise, it's like sleeping on a mattress with just a bottom sheet, no mattress pad. Gross!

Go to a mattress store that sells the Natura pillows. You can try them out. They're amazing. You want the natural (Talalay) latex, though.

• sewwhatsnew
    9 years ago

BB&B has a comfortable latex pillow that comes with a zipped cover that fits perfect all the time. I prefer to sleep with the standard size even though I have king bed. I also ordered the latex pillow from Walmart, but it seemed too high for me. My latex one from BB&B ( in store) continues to be my favorite, latex is hard to get used to sleeping on, so sometimes it's a love/hate relationship, but we always get back together !! Check it out, it's returnable if your not happy.

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

I love my natural Talalay Latex regular firmness pillows in the standard size despite sleeping on a Queen Size Talalay Latex Mattress from FloBeds. I bought very fitted 300 count pillow covers since the 200 count ones were not comfortable. I bought a Queen Size Latex Pillow from FloBeds but it was too high for me so I use it as a Sham. I prefer the lower height of the standard pillow.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all so much! GW is such a great site to ask for opinions. Much better even than reading reviews on the various sites.

Tib, I think the Natura won't need an additional pillow cover as it already has the zippered one on it. I can't wait to get it and the summer bed from Rough Linen. I hate spending that much on bedding but I am getting very persnickety in my dotage.

Msrose, I will let you know what I think of my pillow after it arrives and I have had some time to analyze. I too use a pillow cover with a pillow slip over it.

Lynn, I have so many excess pillows that I will have sham stuffers for the rest of my days. I have also given pillows away after sleeping on them for one night. I just want a pillow to love so I can stop this insane quest for the perfect one!

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

Holly-Kay, I know what you mean that was why I was letting you know the Queen size was too high for me but I am only 4'10" tall. The standard size was perfect. I like the medium feel I found out for my pillow but I like the X-Firm for my Latex Bed. I have allergies and I never wake up anymore with a stuffy nose sleeping on my Talalay Latex Pillow.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Holly-kay, I think you'll want to put a cool, cotton pillow case on your Natura pillow, though, not an additional cover.

As I said earlier, I've become a total snob about bedding. But I think being very comfortable, both in terms of support and temperature regulation, is very important when it comes to sleeping and is worth investing in. It is amazing, though, what good cotton sheets cost! Cotton is renewable, for crying out loud!

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tib, You don't think that the linen pillow slip (case) will be as good as the cotton? I do have 100% cotton sheets that I just bought from LL Bean. They were expensive for made in China but the quality seems very good.

The linen set from Rough linen includes flat sheet, summer cover, and two pillow slips. I do want to get bolsters as well to take up the space between the mattress edge and headboard. Hopefully that will make reading in bed even more enjoyable.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Linen is a GREAT choiceâ¦breathable, a natural fiber..no, that is a really good choice for a pillow case. And linen gets softer and softer over time. I think you'll love the linen case on the latex pillow.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Tib! I was hoping that the linen would work.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

You've made me want to get a linen pillow case! thanks a lot!

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry for that Tib. There is so much I want from RL. I also want a pinafore!

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH