Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_20021230

Thoughts On This Kitchen

User
9 years ago

On the fence about this kitchen designed by Amy Aidinis-Hirsch...I think the shininess of the granite floor is throwing me, but I do like its more masculine feel.

BTW, the HOs wanted a Ralph Laurenesh look.

This post was edited by chijim on Sat, Aug 16, 14 at 15:11

Comments (16)

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

Seems to have a bit too much going on--and I am a great fan of a lot going on. Palette is edited to basically two colors, Belgian-like, but shiny floor, shiny (mirror) backsplash, shiny window refrigerator, possibly mirrored cabinet doors. Then we have the contrasting dark verticals of the legs of the island, frame of the fridge, frames of the cabinets, and strips on the hood. Too many good ideas at once. Oh, I see, it's a see through upper. Well, I like those as long as someone else is responsible for the cleaning. I would like to see the wall with the pots and pans hanging and an overall floor plan because I am not sure if the somewhat crammed in look is a function of the photography or of the kitchen. Other than the seeming distance of the pots from the stove, I think that I could cook in there just fine.
    So, it's kind of maximalist Belgian?

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

I like the shiny floor, but realistically know with just a few drips of water, someone could slip and break a bone! I usually choose form over function(visual is always first!), but I give a thumbs down on this one.

Like kitchendective, I like a lot going on, and could definitely 'handle' this kitchen, with the exception of the flooring.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    9 years ago

Jim, I lean in the same direction as you. I don't care for the reflective floor, as it makes it seems like there are twice as many things in there. Lots of dark vertical striping too, with the darker paint color. I'm a 'more is more' girl as a rule, but I'd have to back this one down some.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

The main thing I don't like are the black verticals --- and that keeping it clean and organized would be a bear (the floor, the mirror backsplash, the see-through uppers, even the glass door fridge). But I'm assuming it comes with the appropriate "help."
    The see-through uppers are kind of neat at first glance, but if you weigh actual storage against obstruction of the windows, I'd vote for removing.

• peony4
    9 years ago

Yes, I think they tried too hard with that floor, but didn't quite pull it off.

I'm also not a fan of the pots hanging down the wall-mounted pot rack in the first photo. Odd placement, and follows neither form or function.

• blfenton
    9 years ago

The only thing I like is the range wall with the windows flanking the range but, the mirrored backsplash behind the range is just too much.

For me, there are too many reflective surfaces compounding an all ready busy room.

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

I don't see anything that is reminiscent of Ralph Lauren.

There must be a butler's pantry or walk-in pantry somewhere because that can't be the only refrigerator and there's very little usable storage for the square footage.

I adore the windows as backsplash. I've been in love with that concept since I saw it used on the set of Giada at Home. I would get rid of the upper cabinets as I am short and they are basically useless to me. I don't want to watch myself cooking so I would say good-bye to the mirrored backsplash. I would also get rid of the shiny floors with wide grout lines (I hate grout), the wall of pots and pans and the beaded board ceiling because there are just too many lines in this kitchen.

LOL, I think it would be easier for me to say what I like about this kitchen...

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I think it's overwrought and there is too much going on for it to be comfortable to work in.

The mirrored range back is completely impractical and it reflects a rustic stone, that--if that's part of the original house --makes me wonder if on top of everything else, this shiny black and white kitchen isn't in conflict with the rest of the house.

I also don't find it that masculine. More like big strapping horsey woman-ish.

There are a number of individual elements that I would like in other kitchens, but the combination is a kitchen that I don't like at all, sorry.

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

I think they confused masculinity with volume, i.e., bigger is manlier. I don't like it because, with so much space to work with, they succeeded in making it seem crowded and claustrophobic.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

From the horse's mouth, uh, house:

RL's NYC kitchen: mirrored surfaces, shiny floor, incorporating view.

This post was edited by nosoccermom on Sat, Aug 16, 14 at 18:25

• Boopadaboo
    9 years ago

I think if the hood and mirror backsplash were changed that I would like it. Those just push it over the top and dont seem to add anything positive.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The designer herself describes the space as masculine and handsome.
    The pic I used really doesn't do it justice--no sure if scanning them in would help, but when I opened the Ma/Apr 2014 issue of at home, I did linger on the pages going back and forth about whether I liked it.

BTW, I think using a big mirror behind the range is way OTT!

• sochi
    9 years ago

Way too busy for me to appreciate much. There isn't a specific element I dislike, it just is too much of everything I think. No where for the eye to rest.

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

Too heavy and busy!

• stolenidentity
    9 years ago

Yikes. Maybe the room can handle the texture of things, I can't though. Ditto what sochi said!

• missymoo12
    9 years ago

Yeah I like it. I love the floor. Love the windows by the range. The whole thing is dramatic and very well could be perfect with the rest of the house.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!