Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mdp0430

What color stone counter for vanity

mdp0430
9 years ago

Hi everyone,

Currently trying to figure out how to bring our half bath renovation all together from a style perspective (pics included). The house is a 1950's split level. We're mostly transitional, though you can see some contemporary tastes coming through via the tile and vanity.

The floor tiles are gray, blue and brown. I was thinking of a white sink to match the Kohler Memoirs Classic toilet. The vanity is a dark brown / espresso color. All of the walls, doors and moldings are just primed, so I figured I would choose those colors last.

What color vanity stone counter would you go with?

Thanks!

Comments (21)

• mdp0430
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's a picture from a different angle...

Greatly appreciate any insight!

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

I think either a small patterned granite or plain quartz in that bronze color of your floor tile would look nice. You could also do gray...just not sure if I like gray with the espresso vanity.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

You could also do a white quartz with a silvery blue paint.

• Olychick
    9 years ago

What about a blue? This is blue bahia granite but there seems to be great variations in color and pattern/movement. I thought this one looked nice with a similar floor and cabinet color.

• badgergal
    9 years ago

Cambria's Bradford might be a good option. If you go on their website they also have a Benjamin Moore color visualizer for paints that coordinates with the stones.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I agree with JoaniePoanie, that a copper/bronze quartz would be nice, like this Kenai Brown Quartz

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Or, how about something like this? Oo la la!

A copper vanity and sink.

• amykath
    9 years ago

Have you considered marble? I think that would be nice. Your bathroom is lovely!

• mdp0430
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tibbrix, Joanie, you don't think that copper or bronze would make the vanity look monolithic? Not too many dark colors? I'm leaning towards a white sink and chrome faucet/hardware...

Thanks Aktillery, I did think about marble but was worried that the veining would be too busy considering the floor tile...

Thanks everyone, keep'em coming, don't hold back!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I don't think it would be monolithic at all. I think it would be rich and elegant, which is the direction you seem to have gone in by choosing the floor and vanity you did, i.e.: rich, deep colors.

White top would be boring, IMO.

I don't think marble performs well. I've seen marble counters in people's kitchens that are a mess from stains and such.

I'd be inclined to put a bronze counter on the vanity and then find a very rich blue for the walls, like my fave: BM Van Courtland Blue. It is a perfect blue and would be wonderful with the bronze, espresso, and the blue in your floor.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

We put a copper sink in our half bath during it's partial reno about 5 years ago and I still smile every time I see it. We have hardwood floors so it wasn't competing with any other colors. It really depends, I guess, on how much use you expect this bathroom to get whether I'd put one in or not. The white sink would be perfectly fine.

You can probably get away with a granite remnant to save some $$ too, as we did. IMO something with some copper and deep brown in the stone would be beautiful and rich, no matter what you decide on the sink. Unless you really want to highlight the blue in the flooring, I'd stay with the more neutral granite or stone colors and play with colors in accents (towels and other accessories).

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I was also wondering if you planned on finding a remnant. We remodeled a guest bath with a 36" dark-stained cherry vanity. I wanted a creamy colored granite and had a hard time finding a remnant we liked, but I wasn't about to pay for a full slab. We were under a time constraint, and after many visits to the stone yard, went with Giallo Ornamental Light. We painted the walls a light blue gray, BM Silver Mist, but I could have gone grayer if I had more time to sample paints. I really like it when it reads more gray than blue.

Your floor is gorgeous. Your room is small. I'd put one more thing in to draw attention and then let everything else be quieter. With the counter being in a parallel plane to the floor, I'd go to the mirror and lights to be the bling. With chrome fixtures, I'd do a light colored counter (not white), white sink, and perhaps a dark-framed mirror to bring the brown up to the wall a little. Do you have these other elements picked out yet? It will be easier to select the counter if you have a plan for the entire vanity area.

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

I think a bronze/copper color would not be monolithic..especially if you go with a white sink. The contrast with the sink would be pretty and it would tie in beautifully with your floor. Paint the walls blue/gray as in your tile..will be stunning IMHO.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Bronze/copper counter, white sink, BM Philipsburg Blue walls.

• jay06
    9 years ago

Check out Cambria quartz in the Dovedale color. It's white with very subtle, scattered streaks of toffee brown. It would coordinate with your floor as well as your vanity. We just replaced our bathroom counter with Dovedale quartz on a vanity close to your color, and it looks great.

• mdp0430
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mayflowers, I'm not locked into chrome hardware, but figured since door knobs were oil rubbed bronze I would go with something else. The kitchen, on the same floor, will either be chrome or nickel. So, I don't really have a final plan for the vanity area yet. I do need a backspash and sidesplash given the location of the vanity though. Your advise regarding the same plane as the floor makes lots of sense, thanks!

Tibbrix, given the square shape of the toilet, tile, doors, etc. would you go with an oval or rectangular undermount sink? I love those blues for the walls.

Thanks again everyone!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I think either oval or square will work, since the toilet has both oval and square features. I think square would be more contemporary. Personally, I'd probably go with a square sink.

Btw, check out the new thread, "Which vanity light?" She's got a dark vanity like yours, white toilet, and the walls in a beautiful blue.

• mdp0430
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well,

I tried to make the bronzes and coppers work, but in the end settled on a grey (light grey left in picture). I think it works great with a white sink and the dark espresso cabinet. I think the reason why it does is because it pulls the greys from the floor tiles and also because the grout is grey.

Here's my problem, the chip that we used is actually Formica and I can't seem to get close in either Cambria or Silestone. Does anyone have any ideas what would be close to the chip in the picture on the left?

I would need to do something sold per foot, as buying an entire slab for a 36" vanity is not an option.

Thanks again everyone!

This post was edited by mdp0430 on Thu, Sep 4, 14 at 9:05

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Have you looked for a remnant at the stone yards? You should be able to find something for a 36" vanity. Also be aware that most of the price is in the fabrication. We paid $600 for a 36" remnant fabricated and installed. There was a thread in Baths about remnant cost and ours was typical.

• mdp0430
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi may-flowers, I'm all for a remnant. I've priced out at around $450 for the sink cutout with back and side splash.

The problem is first finding something in the ballpark of that light grey. I have been to 4 places and no dice...

It's a grey that isn't busy, sort of looks like concrete but not really.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

We used a 17" Kohler Caxton oval sink. The oval gives you more corner room for a glass, handsoap, etc. Counter space is at a premium for small vanities so I was going to use a 15", but the saleswoman felt 15 was too small. With oval sinks there's a little granite overhang because a porcelain sink is never a perfect oval, so they fabricate the counter to be the perfect oval instead. I'm happy with the sink size and the counter space.