Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fromflorida_gw

Please help me find chairs/light for dining/breakfast table

fromflorida
11 years ago

Well, I finally found the table I was looking for for my long open breakfast room: It's the Ethan Allen Christopher Tango table and I love it! But now I need chairs and a light fixture. I want something perhaps transitional. I was thinking either upholstered (which my husband wasn't keen on)or a painted wood (black perhaps) because the room has so much wood. Any thoughts? I'd very much appreciate the help! And I also need a new pendant or chandelier, again, something sleek that won't block the views too much. The ceilings in this room are only 8 feet. Thanks again!

Comments (11)

• fromflorida
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And here's another view of the room:

• mellyc123
    11 years ago

Are you using 6 or 8 chairs?

I like the back of this one because it has an arch like over your oven and has the straight legs that match your table without being to simple. It is Old Biscayne, however I am sure similar styles exist in other lines.

• fromflorida
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That's pretty, Mellyc.
    I'm using 8 chairs, and I was considering perhaps mixing wooden ones with upholstered at the end that could take the place when not in use of the two Pier One chairs by the window in the second photo.

• fromflorida
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Before this post completely drifts into the ozone, I'm bumping it up because I really could use help with the chair choice. Wood or upholstered or a combination of both? Black wood to match the hardware on the kitchen cabinets?I was looking at some mission slatted chairs and wondering if I could pair with upholstered arm chairs. Thoughts? Photos? Help?
    Thanks!

• fromflorida
    Original Author
    11 years ago

As you can see from the above photos, I have lots of wood in my breakfast room. I have ordered two Ethan Allen upholstered Thomas armchairs for each end of the table in a seafoam green and I was planning to order six very simple mission chairs to go with it, to try to cool down the overly traditional look of the room. Question: I ordered black legs for the Thomas chair and was thinking of matching them with black mission chairs to tone down the look. How do you think the black and wood table would look together? If anyone has any photos, I'd love to see them. Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Thomas chairs

• maddielee
    11 years ago

I searched Google images for "wood dining table with black painted chairs", lots of images there.

What I found was the ones that looked best (to me) were the sets that had the table legs and table apron painted black also. Would that be an option?

• fromflorida
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Maddielee --
    I agree that it does look good when the legs and apron of table are painted black, but I would be too nervous to do that, plus the table looks so good the way it is. Am I making a mistake getting black chairs in the context of this room?

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    11 years ago

IMO, black will not look good.

• yayagal
    11 years ago

I wouldn't put black, I'd try to find something with upholstered cream seats and very little detail on them to keep it lighter and fresher.

• fromflorida
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the feedback, yayagal and walnut creek. I was beginning to get nervous about the black. I don't know if you looked at the Thomas armchair, but that is quite simple. When not in use, I was going to place them in front of the window where the low red/goldish chairs are now. I was getting them in a pretty seafoamish-sage green because all my furniture in the adjoining family room is cream. To go with them, I was thinking of these aimple mission style side chairs, in black, but maybe now to match the table, with the same green upholstery seats. Thoughts, photos?

Here is a link that might be useful: Mission chairs

• cms_az
    11 years ago

Just curious if you got the Thomas chair yet? I am thinking about getting 4 armless and 2 with arms for the end of the table. I just wish they were not so expensive but I have looked elsewhere and other parson chairs feel/look cheap.

BTW - my sister has the tango table and I really like it also. just be careful as it does get small scratches. But they all seem to be that way. I bought a different table and it came with small scratches so I refused delivery.

Sponsored
EURO STAGING
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
DC's Innovative & Award Winning Home Staging Firm