|I would like to re-do my living room. It is a very long (21-1/2 feet) and narrow (12-1/2 feet) room. Furniture placement has always been an issue. It feels like all of the furniture is pushed up against the walls (probably because it is =) . |
I am going to get rid of everything (except the plant), and will be starting fresh. I just need some ideas on placement.
I really like these shelves to flank the fireplace, but nothing set in stone.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
|What is the purpose of the room? Will there be a TV? Is this where guest enter the home and walk through to the kitchen area?|
|This will be our formal living room; however, we are not that formal. There will not be a television. It is where quests enter the home and walk to the kitchen area, along with where we will entertain guests. |
|Currently you appear to have a sofa, two chairs, coffee table, end table w/lamp, armoire, torchiere lamp, and maybe a bookcase. And it is a walk-through area for the kitchen. |
Working with the furniture you have now:
Unless you need the armoire and bookcase (is it a bookcase?) in the room, I would lean towards getting them out of the room. I would rather see a long console table in that area.
If I were budgeting for this room, I would keep the current furniture and spend my money on (pricey) custom drapes - stationary panels to dress the three windows in the room. I would add a second side table for the sofa and a narrow side table for each chair.
If the current seating (sofa and two chairs) is not enough seating, I would look at maybe two ottomans that could sit in front of the large window and then be pulled into the main area of the room when entertaining a larger group.
|If people usually walk through, you need a passage. If you sometimes entertain, you need a conversation area. So, could you place two loveseats, or 4 chairs, on either side of the fireplace, with perhaps 2 small tables pushed together (that you could separate as needed for a party)? Then, perhaps a console-type bookcase on the stairs wall. You need something in front of the front window, though. Plants? Or a table with lamps, and ottomans beneath you can pull out for more seating. |
Pretty front doors, by the way, as well as the door to the, is it kitchen?
Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum
Information about Posting
- You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
- Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
- After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
- Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
- We have a strict no-advertising policy!
- If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
- If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.
Learn more about in-text links on this page here