Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beaglesdoitbetter1

Rug too big??

beaglesdoitbetter1
11 years ago

I have fallen in love with this rug and think it would look perfect in my dining room:

Dining room seen here:

HOWEVER, the rug is 9'3" by 12'6" and the room is only 13 ft. by 15'8"

Is the rug too big? I suspect that it is because it will barely leave any floor space, but I think it would be so perfect in the room if it were just a little bit smaller :(

What do you think? Too big, keep looking?

Comments (44)

• camlan
    11 years ago

Sit in one of the chairs and then push the chair back to get up. Measure the distance from the table to the back chair legs. You need a rug that is wide enough and long enough that the chair legs will stay on the rug even when pushed back. The most common mistake I see with dining room rugs is that they are too small and the chair legs catch on the edge of the rug.

I think the rug is a good size for a dining room rug.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OK, by those tests then, I think it will be OK. It just seems like such a big rug for a small room, but I guess if I did go too much smaller then the chairs would be partially off since the table is also big w/ lots of chairs...

• Oakley
    11 years ago

The problem you may run into is the rug forming ridges because the rug won't be anchored like carpet. Normally it wouldn't make a difference but your's will have furniture on the edges and scooting chairs could cause the rug to give in certain places. Straightening it might be a hassle.

I love the blue in the rug, I can see why you like it!

• porkandham
    11 years ago

Love your room and the rug! I think the size will be fine. Is your china cabinet built in? Have you accounted for it in your measurements?

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

porkandham the china cabinet is built in. I will have to remeasure to make sure it won't interfere or have the rug right up against it.

oakleyok if I choose this rug, there'd be quite a bit of space for the chairs to push back before they're right on the edge so it might be OK. We'll use a rug pad. We also likely won't use this room THAT much probably since we seem to congregate outside or in the breakfast nook more often than the DR...

Thanks for the things to consider. I have an 8x12 rug that is in the great room, I may move it in the DR and leave it for a day or two just to get a feel for how the size actually looks since I think that size is close enough to be a good representation...

• Fun2BHere
    11 years ago

I think it will be a perfect size leaving about 18" of floor showing around the edges and the color will look fabulous. Most people choose rugs that are too small in a dining room.

• gsciencechick
    11 years ago

Love the rug! Hope it can work for you! It seems like it won't be too big.

• drybean
    11 years ago

I agree that the size is perfect for your room. Most people have rugs that are far too small.

Beautiful rug. I adore it.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Totally agree that the size is fine and most people choose rugs that are too small. I think it will look beautiful! I have never had a problem with an area rug bunching up unless it is a very thin rug. If that is the case, a pad should solve the problem. Can't wait to see it in your room!

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It is not a thin rug, it is quite heavy.
    I have now ordered it :) It should be delivered w/in the next few days and I will post updated pictures. Got to get some art on the wall in the DR too- maybe will hang up some pics before I post pictures again.

Thanks for the opinions and help!!

• mary_lu_gw
    11 years ago

Love the rug. Glad you decided to go with it. Looking forward to seeing it in your room as I am sure it will look lovely!

• janetraz
    11 years ago

Love the rug! I think the size is good. Better too big than too small.

• User
    11 years ago

I think the size is fine and the colors are fab!

• Oakley
    11 years ago

I looked at the measurements again, and I agree with the rest, it will look great! For some reason I was thinking it would be wall-to-wall.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks :) I can't wait to get it in the room when it comes and see how it looks!

• kimberlyrkb
    11 years ago

I love the rug! It'll look great in your room and it isn't too large at all. I agree, most dining room rugs are too small (including my own!). I love the built in cabinet, too. Did you paint it yourself? If so, do you happen to know the color blue it is? I'm looking for a blue to use on the inside of a china cabinet, and your color looks like one I ought to test. :) Thanks!

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

kimberlyrkb, the cabinet is not painted, it is a custom stain color and I did not do it myself... my cabinet makers came up with it after I gave them a tile to match. Sorry I can't be more help.

We do have a lot of blue in our house though and we went through a lot of colors to find our blues. Our favorites and the ones we used were SW Windy Blue, Sherwin Williams 7603 Poolhouse and Sherwin Williams 7601 Dockside Blue so if you're looking for suggestions, may want to check those out :)

• kimberlyrkb
    11 years ago

Thank you very much for generously sharing the other blues you've tried. I'll check them out. :)

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here we go, rug is in :) I need to move the table back centered into place, but I think it looks great. Thank you so much for all your help everyone!

• anrol
    11 years ago

Very, very nice!

• stinky-gardener
    11 years ago

Beautiful! It's perfect with your chairs and everything else! You got it in place just in time, too. Yay!

• amykath
    11 years ago

It is PERFECT!!!!!!

• stinky-gardener
    11 years ago

Where did you find it, Beagles? (I know, I'm always asking you questions!).

• sochi
    11 years ago

Oh my, that is perfect. Great looking room.

• bama12
    11 years ago

The rug looks perfect, and I love your colors!

• Jamie
    11 years ago

I beginning to like the layered look! I thought the room was already lovely, and now it's warm and lovely. What's next? There's no such thing as done :)

• Fun2BHere
    11 years ago

I'm so glad you went forward with the purchase. I love the way the rug looks in your room.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks :) I am glad that everyone convinced me it would work b/c I probably would have passed otherwise.

stinky-gardener the rug is actually from eBay. We got/get most of our oriental rugs on ebay mainly because I won't buy really expensive oriental rugs when I have dogs that seem to aim for the rug whenever they get upset tummies! The ones on ebay are reasonably priced and there's a few sellers that I really like who do hand-knotted rugs w/ high KPSI.

jamies I am a big fan of the layered look. I like mixing patterns and colors and styles and it also kind of happens accidentally because I just buy what I like.

• tx2nc
    11 years ago

Related rug size question. I am thinking from all the comments I've read here that this rug is too small for my dining room. What do ya'll think?

• loribee
    11 years ago

Beagles- it looks amazing in your pretty room!

Tx2- can we see another pic? It's hard to tell...thanks!

• gsciencechick
    11 years ago

Beagles, it looks fabulous!

Tx2nc, it does look small, but that is a beautiful rug, too. When you pull the chairs out to sit for dinner, they should still be able to fit on the rug.

• Irish2
    11 years ago

Beautiful rug and room!

• tinker_2006
    11 years ago

Beagles, it's perfect - perfect size, perfect color.. just perfect!

Tx2nc, yes.. it IS too small. :(

• peaches12345
    11 years ago

Beagles- gorgeous and the perfect size.

Tx2nc- yes, way too small as I'm sure you know by now. You do have to be able to pull out the chairs and not have them off the rug or they will catch the rug as you pull them back up to the table when you sit down. I think I've read that you need 2 feet of rug behind each chair when the chair is pulled up to a sitting position at the table to be able to pull the chair out..

• Oakley
    11 years ago

I'm so glad you didn't listen to me in my first reply! lol. It's gorgeous!

• stinky-gardener
    11 years ago

Thanks for your reply, Beagles! I think it's fantastic that you got it on E-bay! I'm so intimidated and confused by shopping there. I never caught on to that whole "bidding" business, and I don't use a credit card online, or have a paypal account, blah, blah, blah. It's all just beyond me. Anyway, if you got a great deal in addition to this beautiful rug, good for you, girl!

I bet your soon-to-be DH is very pleased too!

• cottonpenny
    11 years ago

Very pretty rug and pretty room! Love that built in!

Care to share your eBay sellers names? I collect this sort of info for when the time comes.

• stinky-gardener
    11 years ago

I'd be interested in that info too, Beagles. Who knows, maybe I'll become an eBay convert at some point! I'm sure a lot of people would like this info...(you should ask for a commision...you may be responsible for some rug sales in the near future!)

Beagles, I know you mentioned that you designed your house, or some of it, (which is newly built, yes?). Are you a designer by profession or an architect or an artist of some kind? (Those are my questions of the day for Beagles!)

• cottonpenny
    11 years ago

Oh, another question while I'm at it - what are the dimensions of your chandelier? It looks like the perfect size for that room, and I think my dining room is similarly sized. It's very pretty too!

• porkandham
    11 years ago

Beagles - The rug looks great!

Tx2nc - Your rug is too small. As others have said, all four chair legs need to be on the rug when they're pulled out for sitting. You have pretty floors, so even if it's not in the budget to replace the rug, at least your dining room would look nice with no rug. Bare floors look better than a too small rug, IMHO.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

tx2nc I love your blue walls! The rug is gorgeous but I agree w/ the others- too small.

cottonpenny the two most recent ones were dcrugs and greatfallsdecoratorc but there are actually others I like better that I got rugs from last year- I will have to go back to my old records and find them. If you look at DCrugs, don't be put off by the prices. The most recent one, I put in an OBO for 1/2 of what it was listed for and they accepted. Every oriental in my house came from eBay.

Regarding the chandelier dimensions- I don't know. I am away for the weekend but when I return tomorrow, I will get you the dimensions and details :)

stinky-gardener, I am not a designer or architect. I am a writer and work in search engine optimization. I just really love decorating and design stuff!

The house is new (well, we closed in April '12). There are pics of the rest of it here (http://stonepondhouse.blogspot.com) if anyone is interested and hasn't seen them :)

We started w/ a basic floor plan from the builder and I added the conservatory, dog room and sun room, moved a bunch of other rooms around, took out an inside study and completely changed the structure of the kitchen. I designed all the cabinets and picked all the finishes, etc. (I actually made Photoshop mock-ups of the kitchen and all bathrooms and we worked from there and had some truly amazing people that were able to do exactly what I asked! The kitchen especially I think turned out JUST like the photoshop:

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

Hi Beagles,

I find rug selection uniquely bedeviling.

Yours is both lovely and perfect in every way for your DR. Brava!

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks mtnrdredux!