Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barbcollins_gw

What would you allow to be hung on this wall?

barbcollins
9 years ago

I have done A LOT of work to bring this wall back to life.
The logs are over 150 years old, and they still show the adze marks, and some still have bark on them.

I hand scraped & cleaned all the old lime whitewash off of them and put linseed oil on them to bring the color back. I now have been working on the chinking, and almost done. Right now I think the chinking is way too white and I plan on coloring the final coat to tone it down.

My daughter & family will be moving in. What would you allow on this wall. Anything?

I have several antique pictures of our ancestors that I thought would look good on the wall. But what kind of picture hangars would you use? I don't know if the Command removable ones would stick to the logs or mortar.

Comments (11)

• Olychick
    9 years ago

I probably would look at alternatives to holes, too, if I'd done that much work.

Could you use something like this, hung as close to the wall as possible? Or one used at the very top of the wall if there is room....
    Ceiling hung art rail:

• graywings123
    9 years ago

The wall is a work of art by itself. From the photo, it looks like it would overpower anything you put on it. But if I were going to use something, I would try these things:

Here is a link that might be useful: Plastic hard wall hangers

• teacats
    9 years ago

You may be able to get some ideas from this pin board from Pinterest -- LOTS of inspiration photos of picture rails ..... and check Ikea's website ..... I think that Ikea has items like this .....

Here is a link that might be useful: Pinterest -- Hanging picture rail

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Barb, for future reference, old whitewash is easily removed with plain ammonia. I used to have a 200 year-old cabin with walls just like those. All the logs and the woodwork (doors, doorframes, etc.) were whitewashed. It was time-consuming and messy, but not difficult to remove it all.

I can't remember hanging anything on the walls. Isn't that odd? I imagine we just used little nails.

• kswl2
    9 years ago

I don't think I would allow anything on it, to be honest. It's absolutely fantastic, and you have done a yeoman's job restoring it!

• sochi
    9 years ago

I'm with the don't hang anything crowd if you can avoid it. The wall is beautiful and a work of art.

• barbcollins
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you everybody. This has been a fun part of this project. A few months ago I wouldn't have guessed I would have been "chinking" logs.

I'll let DH know the flat screen TV is definitely out :)

cyn427 - Oh, I wish I had known that before I scraped that whole ceiling! Your right it is messy, but after 150 years, it comes off pretty easily. But it took me a good part of a day to get all the limewash off. The old chinking came out easily as it was in pretty bad shape.

I keep thinking this will be the PERFECT place for the Christmas tree!

To be sure I don't want to cover it up. I am hoping that some of the logs may still stick out enough that I could just set pictures on them. I have several period photographs like these

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I wouldn't hang a thing on that wall...it is lovely as is and it is already very busy...anything you hang on there will do injustice to both the wall and the hanging.

• barbcollins
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Was at the house working this morning. All of the logs are rounded on top, so I definitely can't set pictures on them.

I think any pictures I hang would need to be large or they would get lost as Annie says it's already busy.

There is one old nail in the wall, so I'll keep thinking about something that would fit with the logs. If I came across an antique adze, I might consider it.

Or maybe one of my husbands antique rifles/shotguns.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Maybe a large indian rug or quilt.

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

Can you show a close-up of the top of the wall? And the way the beams run next to it?

You might be able to install a rail or series of hooks that could be used with fishline to hang things in front of the wall.

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022