Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bbstx

Restoration Hardware - shipping is how much???

bbstx
9 years ago

The RH chair below is perfect for me to use as a desk chair in the study. And it is on sale for $249. Perfect! However, when I went to order it, the shipping was $249 - 100% of the chair price!

I have ordered soft goods from RH before, but not furniture. For $249 shipping on a straight chair, I'd expect it to be delivered by Tom Brady with fois gras and Dom Perignon.

Did I choose the wrong shipping option? I could not find a place to choose a different shipping option. 100% shipping is ridiculous. The closest store is 4 hours one way, so picking it up really isn't an option.

Comments (34)

• deeinohio
    9 years ago

I wanted their portal medicine cabinet and was willing to pay what I thought was an already inflated price; however, when I added it to my cart to see shipping, it was so exorbitant, I didn't buy. I refuse to pay 2/3 the cost of the item to ship. RH also doesn't have these items in their stores.

• vedazu
    9 years ago

if you buy furniture on EBay and have it shipped--chairs or tables--you can expect those kinds of prices. They will palletize them--rigid packing, well, well wrapped. I've just added that on the total price when I'm looking for "bargains." They've got to be amazingly priced if they're going to shipped somewhere.

• Olychick
    9 years ago

For that much, you could drive the 4 hours, get a decent hotel room, have dinner out and drive back the next day! Sheesh!

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

I usually play with the math and consider if I would buy the item for the total amount made up of price, shipping and tax. If the answer is yes, I move ahead. Otherwise, I look for an alternative.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

I got 149.00 for shipping to the DC area for the 249.00 chair (Belgian Linen in Sand). Same price to ship to the San Francisco area.
    It actually said unlimited furniture delivery for that price.

This post was edited by nosoccermom on Fri, Aug 8, 14 at 19:15

• bbstx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sand Belgian Linen in any wood finish is $249. Yes, I saw that it was "unlimited furniture delivery." That's great when you are ordering an entire suite of bedroom furniture or a complete dining room, but when you only want one chair and when the delivery equals the price of the chair, that is simply ridiculous.

• bbstx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a pretty close approximation at Overstock. The chair is $4 more and striped, but shipping is FREE!

I'll keep looking....

• bbstx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Home Decorator's $299 +$35 shipping

I'll have to admit that I like the welting on the RH chair more than the nailheads on this chair.

• jakabedy
    9 years ago

Don't even get me started. I went around with them a couple weeks ago about the shipping charges and the vagaries/dishonesty in their literature. I was looking at an $899 table, then started looking at the shipping charges. There are three tiers of the "unlimited" shipping: $149 for folks "near one of our stores", $249 for folks in the next distance tier, and $349 for those of us who apparently live in a suburb of the Gobi Desert.

I first asked if I could pick it up at a store (6 hours away) and save the shipping cost entirely. Nope. The stores aren't a part of the shipping process -- there's no way to avoid the shipping cost. So then I wrote back and asked how the shipping "zones" could be based on proximity to a retail store, if the retail store has no bearing on shipping. I got some cut-and-pasted scripted customer service responses about the shipping simply covering costs. So then I asked how it was possible that it would cost $349 to send me a table, and also cost $349 to send my neighbor a semi-truck full of tables, and wasn't this, in a sense, smaller customers subsidizing the shipping costs of wealthier customers. More scripted response.

But I still ******* love that table.

• bbstx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wisteria's version. In "natural," it is $212. I have a coupon for 20% off. Shipping is $118 (still exorbitant). Total with tax is $312, or only $50 more than the original price of the RH chair.

I will be posting a separate thread about Wisteria quality. Please comment, if you have an opinion.

• allison0704
    9 years ago

DD1 and her BF just ordered a DR table and 2 slipcovered chairs from RH. The "extra10" coupon code plus the "special" price on the table made the 249 unlimited shipping easier to stomach. They live in NorCal, but in the 2nd tier shipping distance.

• bbstx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm glad it wasn't totally awful for your DD and her BF, allison. At least they came close to getting value for their money. I have ordered furniture from NC on several occasions. I think I paid less than $50 for shipping on a very large sofa. The RH flatrate shipping is a boon for those who are ordering gargantuan pieces but for one little chair, it is ridiculous.

• User
    9 years ago

BBstx, the RH chair is the SAME chair as the one at Wisteria, Home Decorators, and Overstock. Contrary to the quasi-religious furniture BS the catalogs imply, their stuff is not all handmade by grizzly old 'artisans' in centuries old factories with candles for lighting. They BUY stuff just like every other retailer. RH is a scam of monumental proportions, from the catalog to the furniture, right down to the shipping costs.

Fwiw, I like the striped chair better!

• bbstx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Aw, kwsl, you mean there is only a man behind a curtain? There is no wizard? There is no artisan using hand made tools to hand make the furniture? You have burst my bubble!

• User
    9 years ago

Lol, I was actually thinking of the Emperor.....you know, the one with no clothes!

Adding, I know no one could actually believe that drivel, but something is making otherwise savvy shoppers buy that stuff. Someone posted a picture of a trestle table in another thread that was almost a dead ringer for an RH table but a thousand $ less. Except for a minor detail on the legs it was essentially the same table. The chairs you posted are identical, not even a minor difference. And there are vendors at Scott's Antique Market (upscale flea market one weekend a month in Atlanta and somewhere in Ohio) that sell very similar chairs for about $149, full stop.

This post was edited by kswl on Sun, Aug 10, 14 at 12:00

• bbstx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

In my irritation with RH about the flat rate shipping policy, I started doing a little research on the company. Can you believe their stock is going up? Apparently investors believe they are doing something right!

Scott's is on my bucket list!

• bbstx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

In my irritation with RH about the flat rate shipping policy, I started doing a little research on the company. Can you believe their stock is going up? Apparently investors believe they are doing something right!

Scott's is on my bucket list!

• 4boys2
    9 years ago

You mean to tell me that they are actually buying from China at $75 a pop ??Sorry pic is bad.. Alibaba won't let you grab a photo.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Square-back-arm-chair_1987539882.html

• bbstx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Minimum purchase is 6. Wonder what I would do with the other 5? And I'll bet shipping isn't more that $249 for all 6!!

• kitschykitch
    9 years ago

It would seem to me that if I needed only one chair, and was not matching it to something, I could find one in person somewhere. Have you looked around?

• User
    9 years ago

BBstx you could buy six and sell the other five at a massive profit!

• bbstx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

kitch, I live in the total boonies, AND I hate to shop.

kwsl, I seriously, for one second, thought about doing just that! Or, I could give everyone in the family a chair for Christmas! I think they already think of me as "crazy Aunt BB." HA!!

• 4boys2
    9 years ago

bbstx- I was merely showing as example. With Alibaba you would have to deal with customs,duties and ports of entry.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Yes, customs and duties will double the price. I imported goods one time and it was the last!

• bbstx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Y'all, I was kidding! I'm not going to buy a bunch of those chairs, even if it would cement my "crazy aunt" status!

• User
    9 years ago

BBstx I was kidding also (obviously you knew!). But I have purchased goods from other countries directly from the manufacturers and the tariffs for personal use are minimal. And since we live fairly near the port of Savannah and not too too far from Jacksonville, the freight inland wasn't too much, either. If I lived in the Midwest I would t consider it.

This post was edited by kswl on Sun, Aug 10, 14 at 23:04

• JJ
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

you're complaining about $149 shipping? Heh, I wish I had unlimited shipping to my location. I have many things on order and they're all charged SEPARATE shipping for each item.

Shipping the RH trestle table to Canada cost $420 US (thats 20% shipping + customs) with another $327 US in sales tax.

• User
    9 years ago

The carriers are probably getting back at them for those giant catalog mailings....

• PRO
    BEM HOME
    7 years ago

9/4/2016

i wanted to buy the Venetian 80" mirror - on sale $400 but then i was at the store and the manager says $200 shipping?? i was like have it shipped to your store and i will pick up! she said no" so i said GOODBYE! She actually said "goodbye" and i will not be shopping at RH anymore - there are Way too many retailers out there with free shipping, lower shipping or pick up. This store is Ridiculous! a Huge Recession will knock them back on their Feet.

mike

westport, CT

• Sunnysmom
    7 years ago

RH has a few outlet stores. Still premium prices, however lots of furniture/mirrors/dining chairs to select from and you would not have to pay shipping if you are able to transport.

• rrtsan
    5 years ago

Tried to order a small medicine cabinet today from RH On sale for $315. Proceeded to checkout, then found shipping cost alone would be an extra $399. Goodbye RH -

• Olychick
    5 years ago

That's crazy! Are there really people who think their stuff is worth paying that price? Or are they just trying to get people into the stores so they can impulse buy more things by making shipping ridiculously expensive?

• Alicia Lamecker
    5 years ago

I need 4 small iron chairs. $599 shipping to me, 30 minutes outside of large town. I even tried one small counter stool, no back or anything... still that price for one $100 stool. Nope. No thank you.

• northernlites
    4 years ago

I tried to order a dining table and at checkout it was $999 to ship. Are you freakin' serious!! I also don't get door-to-door delivery with this rate, as I live too rural. Ridiculous.