Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Okay, WHY do you hate/love a trend?

Posted by palimpsest (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 19, 13 at 14:18

The next question in the series of threads about trends you hate, dated things you love, and trends you love is Why?

What is it about a particular trend that makes you feel a certain way about it? I have a feeling that many of the reasons why someone hates a particular trend aren't particularly rational, but that's okay.

I have a client that liked a color until she found out the name of the color on the swatch. I have a client who liked a particular door style of cabinet because of the name, but didn't like the finish or style itself. It took a while to sort that one out.

I will start with two of my "hates" and why.

I listed stacked stone. I don't hate stacked stone, Frank Lloyd Wright used it all the time, and if I had the opportunity to live in one of his houses where the roof didn't leak, I would.

But I don't care for stacked stone as a trend because people try to put it all sorts of places where it wouldn't normally be if it were real stacked stone, and in all sorts of houses where you would not find stacked stone.

I did not mention Wall Words but I don't like these, either. These reasons are a bit less rational.

I like the idea of the letters that were found as salvage and used as found art. I still do. 20 years ago, I started finding the initial of each of my nieces to give as gifts. Not all of them were real salvage, I had nothing against buying at Anthropologie or wherever as well. My point of reference was the gilt M that Mary Richards had in her apartment on the Mary Tyler Moore Show. The reason was because when my nieces were little their belongings had to be labeled because they were similar in age.

Fast forward a few years and not only were the letters everywhere, they were made out of plastic or sawdust and you didn't even have to buy individual letters to create a word, they are already shrunk wrapped at Home Goods. So I guess I resent the easy availability and artificialness of it right now.

(And some of the sentiments seem a bit smug and fake to me. This is the irrational part. I know someone who has "Because Nice Matters" in their kitchen and they are the kind of person who has extreme trouble being nice to anyone at all. And "Live Laugh Love" in the house of a woman who is constantly furious, gives the finger to everyone on the highway and has never had a successful relationship in her adult life. I think "TRY" might be better signs for them.

And part of it is snobbiness. I hate that I have some old found object types of letters or things that are from my childhood or my parent's childhoods and someone says "Oh Home Goods?" Because then you really sound a snob when you say "No, it's genuine".

So pick a Hate and tell us Why. Maybe if you work through the Why you might not Hate (or love it) so much anymore.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Okay, WHY do you hate/love a trend?

I listed white kitchens. I didn't hate white kitchens before I joined this forum. In fact, we had made an offer on a house with a white kitchen (that subsequently fell through), and I thought the room was very pretty. But seeing all of the white kitchens posted here and in blogs and magazines, and many of them looking identical and people throwing around words like "timeless" and "classic," etc., made me increasingly tired of them. To the point where now, when I see a white kitchen-- even if it is beautifully done, my reaction is more like, "Oh, not this again..." But to your point, "hate" is not really an appropriate word. I don't really "hate" a well done white kitchen, I'm just tired of the trend.

I also listed busy granite. That, I really do hate. There are, of course, exceptions, but for the most part I find busy granite to be ugly. Just my personal taste.

o

There is a place for just about any trend and in the right place, I don't hate anything. Well, maybe cement geese with bonnets :-)

Because of our rapid fire communication of absolutely everything, we are exposed to constantly changing visuals of current design. So because of that, what I hate is things that feel contrived - and as you said, Pal, that is subjective. It's gotten to the point that if I even consider using subway tile or Carrara or some other item du jour, I feel I am contributing to the feeding of the beast - even though both of those things are classic and long predate our current obsessions.

And BTW - TRY just became the one wall word that I would consider - love it!

o

I can't say I "hate" a trend in decorating/house design - just some aren't my style. I am normally much more interested in personal fashion than home fashion, but we bought a new house recently and I have been devouring home decorating sites like Houzz and GW. I will say that my personal tastes have definitely changed since I started our home renovation. Certain things we had in our old home like a "busy" granite, dark wood cabinets, etc. that I was happy with 8-10 years ago when we renovated the first time seem old and dated to me. I just don't like them anymore. Just like I haven't worn boot cut jeans in three years - my tastes have moved on.

o

Ok....I'll bite....but don't "hate" me.

I stated I did not like open concept or islands.....Thanksgiving at my brother's.....guys all in the FR enjoying the game, gals in the kitchen chatting away and preparing (guys clean up so not really sexist). Anyway...the noise level escalates little by little because....guys can't hear the TV because of us chatting....we can't hear each other because of the TV....so they keep turning up the sound and we keep talking louder until everyone reaches the breaking point, settles down for a bit, then it escalates all over again...And everyone in each other's way trying to constantly get around the blasted island.

However, reading the posts on my other somewhat maligned thread...my eyes have been opened and I can see some value in each now. Someone living alone could certainly enjoy an open concept space as well as families who don't mind a noisy household. A well-placed island would not cause traffic jams and does provide more storage.

See how much we learn by listening to opposing viewpoints?

o

I like and dislike things for what I associate them with. I like doilies for my grandmother visits my thoughts whenever I see one. I love to sail so greys, blues and greens, which seem to be on trend now, bring my mind to my boat. I also like small galley kitchens for that same reason.

I Dislike things that make me feel discomfort. Many trends today cause my senses to hurt. I dislike open floor plans because I suffer from a hyperacusis deafness. Contrary to what many think, deafness is not at all quiet and it is so awful in loud echoing spaces I start to spin.
I can appreciate the look in pics and can see its appeal but IRL it is awful to me.

This post was edited by roarah on Mon, Aug 19, 13 at 14:55

o

Some of the trends are just alien to me. Like word signs in rooms.

I've been raised in a certain environment and shaped by my family and culture. As a human, I hold on to some of my personal likes and dislikes that developed way back. If a new trend clashes with something I love and feel comfortable with, I'm likely to dislike the trend.

If a trend brings up negative associations, I wouldn't like it. I don't care for shabby chic. As a child, I spent every summer with my grandparents at their dacha in the country. While those were wonderful, care-free summers, dachas were typically depositories of old, beaten-up furnishings at the time. With a few exceptions, no one liked the stuff much, and most of it didn't look good either. But the resources were limited. People made do with what they had, while yearning for something better. I'm sure those memories influence my dislike of shabby chic.

On the other hand, our city home was furnished in what is called MCM now, albeit with Eastern European/ Art Deco-ish variations. Most of it was good quality Eastern German and Czechoslovakian furniture, well cared for and valued a good deal. My parents still have most of the pieces, and they look good. I have lots of positive memories of my family life back then, which certainly contributes to my fondness for MCM and retro modern.

This post was edited by LanaRoma on Mon, Aug 19, 13 at 15:12

o

I think that trends don't take into account "suitability" or "appropriateness" --as they shouldn't, a trend is an Idea that is without context or affiliations, I think.

But the shoehorning of the latest and greatest into something that exists already without thought as to how it affects the whole is what bothers me about trend chasing.
It's up to the person Using the trend to determine applicability, and I think a lot of people skip this step.

A new house well-designed to be open plan is quite a different thing than knocking down all the walls you can in an existing house. An island in a large kitchen, where it creates a workstation--and a point for people to hang out that is not directly in the way, is quite a different thing than trying to fit an island in a too-small kitchen because everyone else has one.

o

I love my white kitchen, regardless of the trendiness of it, although I hope it will feel more classic than dated down the line. I love it because it is clean, uncluttered (usually) and so much more functional than the one it replaced. The cabinets and appliances are also good, solid quality rather than the previous old, cheap builder grade stuff that had outlasted their expected lifespan.

I love chalkboard items - I only have a few - but I enjoy changing up the sayings to suit my mood (sometimes that is a reminder to me to keep a positive attitude, not a directive to others) or the season. Sure they are trendy, and probably soon to be dated, but they are fun and can also be functional (grocery lists, reminders, kids art...)

I don't care for tiny 1x1 mosaics - either the currently trendy glass ones or the classic/dated porcelain. I don't know why but they are just too busy for me.

I have a hard time committing to trendy big-ticket items. As much as possible I try to keep the big items more neutral/classic and add in accessories, artwork or linens to bring in the trend in a less permanent way.

o

As sas95 mentioned, I just get tired of the same thing over and over again. Some of the things on my list were nice the first few times I saw them. After the one hundred millionth time seeing it, I wanted to scratch my eyes out. I had my mind set on a farmhouse sink when I was redoing my kitchen and, by the time I was ready to put in the sink, you couldn't give me a farmhouse sink for free.

I'm not exactly bold or daring with my decorating but I don't have a problem being different and liking what I like. Most of the things on my "hate" list are looks that are void of individuality and, therefore, look just like all of the other rooms of that same style.

o

I love your stories, Pal...It's so easy to picture the two people with the 'Because Nice Matters' and 'Live Laugh Love'.

I don't think I hate anything in decor; I just know there are things that I wouldn't/couldn't use in my home.

I was reading the September House Beautiful on my lunch break. There are some beautiful gray rooms in there by Mary McDonald, and I love them in LA, but in my old cape in Maine, I like color. I love how KevinMP uses dramatic color in his home.

Basically, if it's 'trendy', it doesn't get used here. I like old wood, scrubbed/waxed pine in particular, patterned rugs, vintage or old things with history or that are special to me that I can get from CL or eBay.

Three younger men, now friends, worked on my cellar bathroom. They were always joking with each other and self-proclaimed 'studs'. Sounds awful, but it was funny.

I have NO idea what I was looking for on eBay when I saw this, but naturally I had to have it, and it is displayed on the old shelf, taken out of one of the summer mansions in Prout's Neck Maine, an area of Scarborough near where I grew up.

I don't want trendy, which I picture the masses using; I want different, one of a kind items, like my leather stud box.

photo cellarbathroom001Small_zpsef30fabd.jpg

o

although I love Spanish-derived and Mediterranean styles, I 'hate" Tuscans R. Us? Why?

because the mini mansions around here are all too big and gaudy, and without personal style. Overconsumption and buying "decor" wholesale offends me personally.

is that enough of a reason?

o

I think the OP hit it on the head - I too dislike things that are put where they don't belong. I like words, as long as they are framed as art. But painted directly on the wall, or the plastic ones, not so much. They belong in a business, not a home. Pallets remade into something - I don't get it. The wood was made into pallets in the first place because it wasn't good enough for anything else.

I dislike some things because the reminders. Subway tile: school bathrooms. Skinny curtains hung high on walls: 1950's with dusty Venetian blinds. Peachy beige: the color of EVERY older neighbor's home interior walls in the 1950's - with one single light fixture in the middle of the ceiling.

o

Oh Pal, I am SO with you on the letters and the wall words. I had a few collected M's because that's what our last name begins with, before the whole "letter rage" began. I had to get rid of them because it annoyed me that it became so trendy. And the wall words. Just... ick... I guess I just don't want people's walls telling me what to do.

I didn't add to the "things we hate" thread but if I had, the wall words would have been on my list.

I can't say I hate it, but I am just bummed out when I visit someone whose house, or living room(s), look like a showroom. You know -- all new furniture from PB or Ethan Allen or wherever, and the upholstery is an exact match for a color pulled from the rug, and the pillows are the ones that came with the sofa, and the drapes are the same ones shown with the furniture in the catalog. I love imperfections, old things mixed with new, a few things askew, etc. I love when someone shows even just a spark of creativity or whimsy in their decor.

I wrote this and THEN looked at the other responses. Looks like Sapphire69 and I think alike!

Oh, I don't have a rational explanation for this, but a display of framed family photos on a fireplace mantle really bothers me. Not because of the photos, but regular easel-backed frames just look lousy on a mantle. Larger photos (or framed art) propped against the wall on a mantel are more acceptable. Just my thing...or do others feel this way too? While I'm at it -- I dislike framed school photos hung on the wall in "public" areas too.

o

I didn't comment on the "hate" thread, because I can see that thread offending people or leading to people being defensive/arguing. With that said, I definitely have a common denominator motivating many of my decor dislikes... I am not at peace in cluttered, visually over-stimulating spaces. Those spaces make me uncomfortable and/or anxious. So, I don't like hanging pendants in kitchens, busy countertops, busy backsplashes, bold patterns, collections of items, bright colors, decorative items that don't serve a function, the layered look, multiple finishes in the same view, etc. I also have allergies and don't like anything that collects or traps dirt.... (upholstery, rugs, etc.) I think those reasons combined motivate most of my trend aversions; however, I do irrationally dislike some things (red-toned woods, for example. I have no idea why.... so maybe it will change in time.)

o

I hate "Texas Tuscan". It's not been embraced all over, but very popular here, and I'm beyond tired of it. Think, "Donna Decorates Dallas". Her rooms make me want to barf, here's why:

Years ago, good friends opened a design center ... furniture and all things decorating-related, and complimentary home decorating with large purchases. It became wildly popular.

They asked me to come work for them, I accepted, and found I have a real knack for merchandising and staging. I really enjoyed it at first.

As time went on, I became so exhausted of ginormous floral arrangements, resin lamps/accessories, metal wall art, zebra print/pink, faux tapestries that feel like plastic, elaborate crosses, turquoise, fleur de lis on everything (even engraved into dining tables), dark medieval furniture, scrolly red and gold fabric, tassel overload, "blinged" everything, other gaudiness .... and on and on.

Not only that, but people would come in together, and want their homes done exactly alike .... and they lived on the same street ... in huge McMansions with thick plastered and glazed walls, iron everywhere, 25 ft ceilings, etc.

I made the mistake of trying to convince our customers to mix in some other styles and influences (or antiques). I forgot my job was to sell, sell, sell.

I got so burned out. And that is why it's the only trend I truly hate, and wish would go away for good.

(Disclaimer: I don't hate all of the individual elements I listed here, in fact, I have some that I love. It's the entire "look" as a whole that makes me gag, due to extreme job burn-out, plus calling people like Donna Moss "designers" because they can shop for and merchandise homes that all look identical.)

This post was edited by Miz_M on Mon, Aug 19, 13 at 16:26

o

I've got a thing against the words too. For all the same reasons mentioned here already.

But I really dislike "Tuscan". Well, I like Tuscan when in Tuscany, of course. But not in Central PA. So, imagine the slump in my shoulder when hired to style a patio for a photo shoot and the Art Director told me that when she looked at the scouting photos she saw "Tuscan Vineyard Ranch". *Sigh* I think I"m pulling it off though, not a chicken in sight, just lots of herbs and golden yellows. And the use of sunflowers is very convincing...(I'm secretly hoping for the cover!) I guess you can have Tuscan, without feeling too much like a Jersey Housewife.

And I cannot stand the deconstructed look from RH. I even have a client who suggested a piece of that stuff, and I just had to stop her. I figured it was ok to let her know how I really felt, since she was paying for my opinion.

o

sapphire wrote " Some of the things on my list were nice the first few times I saw them."

That's just it. Items start out being fresh & new, then acquire mass appeal, which is how they become trends in the first place. Then they become ubiquitous & stale. I don't see anything wrong with that life cycle, frankly.

Wall words or prominently displayed mottos of any kind are too maudlin for me. But I dropped out of popular culture years ago and often am out of sync with most people and popular interests.

o

Palimpsest, you really articulated my hate for wall words so well. I like the idea of salvaged signs or wording or a single letter (or letters) where the font or sign is art in and of itself. I really dislike the artificial contrived wording that is very ubiquitous in the area I live (usually painted or stencilled onto the wall - no framing). In addition, I sometimes feel like I'm being bossed around by someone's choice in wall decor. It seems a little irrational, but it rubs me the wrong way to be told by a wall to laugh or smile or be kind.

o

This has been a great read. I can't really think of anything I hate. I can't imagine why that is. I am usually pretty good at this kind of thing. :) I don't really care what other people have in their houses. I love looking at white/light rooms and tons of collections. I have relatives with both. I don't really go there anymore because they are far for a day trip and usually I would go with my brother and 5 little kids in that kind of house for a weekend does not make a really nice visit for a weekend. I still think they have lovely homes though.

I do have to comment on Pals words post though. Do you think that they know they are not nice and don't live laugh love enough so it is a reminder to do so or of something they are working on?

I am rethinking the wall words I picked out yesterday! :)

o

I don't care for open concept homes - but that is just my level of comfort speaking. i like rooms to be designated as being for something specific. I really don't care for a ginormous space where every function overflows or bleeds (someone on another thread used this word) into another space. I don't care for overlapping noise and that may come from being the eldest of 6 and all the noise that comes from that.

I like that fact that if I want to talk to my husband or my kids that I have to get up and actually walk to the room in which they are sitting and talk to them - I can't yell at them because that would be rude.

And speaking of people taking offense - It doesn't bother me in the least that some people don't like white kitchens with busy granites - that's why there are such of variety of choices to be had. (however I have had white kitchens with a busy counter - whether it be laminate or granite - for 30 years and my next one will probably be the same. I'm not following a trend I just happen to love the combination.)

o

I don't like granite because it's cold to the touch. It often looks pretty but I don't want to touch it or lean on it.

I like my mini glass tile wall in the bathroom because it's pretty and the colors of sea glass so it makes me think about the beach. It makes me happy to see it every day and to notice how it changes with different lighting. It's also in 'my' bathroom so it's a little treat just for me. I've had it 7 or 8 years and still like it. I hope I feel that way until the day I leave this house for good.

I don't have any and was always neutral on wall words until I saw so many people here voice such strong negative reactions. Now when I see them I chuckle to myself, thinking of the many funny comments people here make about them. Breathe, darn it! So I like them in other people's spaces for their amusement value.

I like my huge island. We can eat at one end, cook in the middle, and people gather around the far side when we have company. We refer to that end as the Pondering End. People seem to stand there, resting their drink, and ponder lifes big and small questions. The island fits in the kitchen fine because I blew out a wall. No TV in the kitchen so our activities, and their sounds, aren't competing with each other. I particulary like having one large, tv-less room with the large island when we entertain. There's plenty of room to hang out in the kitchen without people being under foot.

I don't like gray and yellow together but I don't have a reason. I just don't think those colors look good together, in clothes or home decor. I'm not a fan of yellow except in nature - the sun, flowers, and butterflies. I've seen many pretty gray rooms but it's not a color I would use.

o

I don't use the word "hate" much, but it's fairly safe to say I hate just about everything I've seen in Restoration Hardware catalogs in the last couple years. Their catalogs remind me of death. Case in point:

I can't really say it's a trend because I've never known anyone to do anything like that.

By the way, should we start a new post: "If you put up wall words, what would they be?"

o

I think, as I get ready to order a white or grey coverlet from Restoration Hardware--I got gift certificates :) -- that the thing that turns people off of RH is two things. One is the marketing: I think the marketing is very polarizing because it elicits strong emotions. It must be working somewhere, because they are still in business and I *think* their stock has been doing better. But I think the extreme-ness of it is intentional

The other is that so much of their stuff creates a false history. It's as if everything has to be worn out because the people that it's marketed toward are too impatient to buy something and break it in themselves. Or to collect an actual collection themselves, when they can buy it already done. I think there is something a little smug about everything too. I think there is a certain amount of interesting stuff there but you have to weed through the excess to get to it.

o

I think I mentioned that I dislike double height rooms because they usually have uncomfortable proportions and are difficult to decorate and clean. If I am looking for a house to buy, a double height room is a deal killer.

o

I don't dislike all of RH's merchandise, but I find the company to be the epitome of pretentiousness, and that turns me off. They're becoming a parody.

o

I also dislike RH because everything there has become so drab and monochromatic looking. If you don't want gray or greige, there's little for you.

o

looking at above pic reminds me that i really dislike mounted animal heads!! --- i don't understand the 'sport' of hunting and it grosses me out that one would hang the head of what had previously been a beautiful living animal on their wall--- so, i wouldn't want a mounted animal head on my wall, real or fake-- the idea of it just really bothers me.

i rarely use the word hate - guess i was taught it is a very, very strong emotion/word! lol

i can appreciate lots of styles/art. i think many things are interesting. but, certain tastes and things just aren't 'me'.
but, i think what bothers me about trends in general are the flock mentality and segregation they create... the discontent they create... the haves and have nots... that sort of thing. (ie:wall words- i think some might feel compelled to put words on their wall to show others that they indeed are a close knit family or love deeply or are teaching their kids to strive, believe, dream, share, etc,etc,etc)

o

I totally agree about the issue of context. My last house was a 1993 open concept three story condo with double sinks, wall to wall Berber carper, granite counters, oak cabinets and white appliances. I loved that home. It was my first home....full of light and representative of my accomplishments in life and my design style at the time.

Now that I'm in a vintage home, I have sage green cabinets, red hex tile floors, stainless steel range, Corian Raincloud counters, marble in the bathrooms and wood floors. Some of these choices were made for function and cost, but the effect is vintage. This house is representative of my accomplishments, place in life and was my personal vision for over 20 years.

The thing that bothers me the most, as stated in my post, is when a house is redone in a way that is inconsistent with its soul. Opened up modern interiors in a 1920's home don't match up in my brain. But I don't want to cook on a vintage range either. So you make sacrifices, but you get the intention right.

Many of these items were on my list of dislikes. Contextually they make sense in each of these two homes. I would never put my kitchen in a new home because it would look out of place, but I believe homes carry a soul and my goal is to make changes that are consistent with the soul of the home while I am lucky enough to live there.

That being said, there are some things I will never like. There will also be some things that I get wrong.

It's called design because there is art to the science of putting things together. It's not about how much money you can spend, or how often you can totally change a room, or whether or not you have everything just the way you want it, or about following the latest trend on here, hgtv or any other outside source for that matter.

It's your home. It has a soul and so do you. Put together the things you like that relate in some way to the soul of the home and the way you live there and enjoy life.

o

I agree that it is all personal preference and lifestyle. I just built my home and live in it alone half time. The plan is for it to be our retirement home when my partner's daughters finish school and he sells his home.

Before we built we each made a list of must-haves for our new home. Top of the list was large open areas that work well for entertaining. We like to have people over for dinners and be able to share a glass of wine while prepping the meal.

I also got a white kitchen. Trends are a bit slower to get to central Canada so dark wood has been done to death and was just slowly fading away when I started planning. I cut out pictures of kitchens I liked in magazines. Most of them were either white, or a soft cream or grey/blue. Wood may never go out of style but the type of wood does. One of the reasons I moved was that I no longer liked the medium oak cabinets that were "in" when I bought the last house.

For the same reason as another poster, I prefer neutral rooms with a few larger accessories rather than collections. I find that I am a bit high strung and don't like to have that many things around. Having said that, I did select a very busy granite. I love it. My cabinets are white and my floor is the same in the whole house so the pattern and texture come from the counters. The colors are neutral and they are beautiful to me.

I love the look of tiled showers but I do not like that they get mildew in the corners where the silicon is needed or that the grout gets loose and leaks in about 10 years so I bought a large white acrylic corner shower and a separate 6' drop in jetted tub. A comfortable ensuite was also on both my partner's and my list of must-haves. We like to share a bottle of wine while soaking in the tub and talking about our day or our plans.

I like metal wall art. In fact, I think I love it. :) I also love crystal chandeliers. I bought three 1940s French antique chandeliers and have one in the DR, MBR and foyer. I like long drapery panels and put them in my bedroom, living room and garden doors. I also have them for the DR but they aren't up yet.

I am not a fan of roosters in the kitchen - or anywhere else. That is about the only example of the overdone and overused trend that I can think of.

ETA: As if this wasn't long enough already, I remembered one more. I really love my LED bulbs. I am one of those people who have a slight yellow undertone and the old incandescent bulbs make me look sallow and ill. The daylight LED bulbs are much nicer and don't add yellow to my cool colors.

This post was edited by cheryleb on Mon, Aug 19, 13 at 18:21

o

my thoughts on trends: Trends, by their nature, are ephemeral. They come and go, rising and falling on the tide of fashion, whether in clothes or home decor.

So, if you like a trend, splurge on a color, an accessory, or something inexpensive that can be easily changed out when it becomes "dated."

Just like in clothes, good quality, good taste, and good design don't become dated quickly. But you don't want your personal style or house to look like it's stuck in the past, either.

So, pick some pillows or paint a wall in Pantone's color of the year (although I don't like the muddy "emerald" they picked this year) without feeling like a decorating disaster. When you're tired of it, or want to move on to a new trend, do it.

o

There are various reasons I love or hate a trend. I dislike many trends because they are cheap made-in-China knock-offs of something that is actually quite nice in it's genuine vintage or antique edition.

One trend I really liked was the Ghost chair. Since I don't shop online and I live in a rural area I was waiting to travel to a large city to find one. Time passed and soon I was seeing them all over the net. Eventually one of the contemporary home decor stores I like to browse had them in the store. I don't know whether it was a poor quality knock-off or not but it didn't seem very sturdy and since it had become overdone online I passed on it. Really did like them tho.

I'm sure the reason people sometimes dislike certain things is because they have only seen bad renditions of it. When people say they hate islands I wonder if perhaps the islands they are familiar with are not the best design.

Some of the messages on wall signs are too coy or trite for me and I'd likely never use wall words which I find too overdone. I do own some locally hand-made seasonal signs (Thanksgiving, Halloween, and Christmas) as well as my bedroom chalkboard which I occasionally change with phrases that mean something to me. Signs can be very personal and I try never to criticize anyone for whatever message they want to have in their house even if I may not 'get' their reason for it. I have one old salvaged sign I treasure that my parents found over 50 years ago while on a recreational fishing trip in the ocean off the west coast. It's the name of a boat but also my DM's name. What are the chances of finding a very old sign with your name on it that had fallen off a boat? My DM kept it but didn't display it as it wasn't her style but I'm thrilled to have it and display it. It has tons of genuine patina!

We're all products of our environment as well as our genetics so we each have personal likes and dislikes which don't need to make rational sense to anyone else or perhaps not even to ourselves. I personally don't want a trendy house altho don't reject all trends. I want my house to be different from others while reflecting my likes and personality.

The reason I like so many old-fashioned things is beyond my comprehension altho from a very early age I adored old houses. My DM used to visit some of the older women of our church and took me along before I was school age. I still have clear pictures of these houses in my mind and imagine I can even smell the lemon oil polish and lavender scents. I can remember standing in awe staring at the lovely lace curtains in the relatively dim light of the sitting room as we passed it on the way to visit and have tea in the white painted kitchen. I remember years later describing a house I saw only once when I was 3 years old and my DM was very surprised I remembered so many details.

o

I think of a trend as an idea, color or design different enough to catch the attention of a good portion of a certain population. Whether I personally like it or not totally depends on the cord it strikes in me. If something makes me feel happy or comfortable when I am around it then I'll give it more thought. That doesn't mean I'll go out and buy it . . . but I will consider it.

I find, though, that many trends tend to be what I would call cute, cheaply made, impractical, mass marketed to death and/or would look out of place in my home and lifestyle. So, if a trend falls into any of the above categories, I won't hate it, but I definitely won't like it for me.

At this time in my life, I'm not all that interested in acquiring more "stuff", so a trend would have to be pretty remarkable before I'll buy into it. And, these days I appreciate the one of a kind . . . or at least things I'm not going to run across in half the homes I visit (LOL).

Stainless steel appliances and granite countertops are two higher end, very nice trends I avoided, although I like them in other people's homes. I disliked them for me because they were impractical for my lifestyle. I can't be bothered resealing granite every year and SS shows too many smudges and fingerprints.
On second thought, there were a couple of trends that I absolutely hated: those stupid geese people used to dress and those silly kid dolls that stood in corners. Why? Because to me they were cute and silly. I really dislike cutesy things (shudder)
Lynn

o

I don't mean to defend granite, but for the sake of information........ I have never sealed my granite and don't plan on ever sealing it. There are no stains or etches. Maybe some types of granite require it, but I have a feeling a lot of the need to seal granite is just marketing. (To add to the case, I know my mom and sisters have never sealed theirs either.)

Ok... sorry for the tangent. :)

o

I'm curious to know if, say fifteen or twenty years ago, people were so pressed to follow home decor trends like they are now? I didn't pay it a lot of attention until I started looking to buy a home but in these past five or so years, it seems as if everyone wants to mimick or be mimicked as opposed to committing to a certain design just because they love it. I have suspected cable television and the intense marketing machine that it has become to be the culprit but maybe it's been this way the whole time and I was just unaware.

By the way, I will have wall words in two rooms. Over the bathtub in the master bath, it will say "Music washes from the soul the dust of everyday life" and in my office, it will say "Imagination is the preview of life's coming attractions". Both phrases that speak to me in rooms where I spend my time.

o

Sapphire, I would say No, 15-20 years ago people were not as trend driven, and Yes, it has to do with media saturation and the internet. Even when I started design school, which was only about 1999, when we wanted to get resources for plumbing fixtures or appliances , we had to call the company and order a brochure, and a comprehensive catalog for one manufacturer's fixtures or appliances was rather expensive. Now I can go on the internet and look at Hundreds of refrigerators and tens of thousands of cabinet knobs and pulls, all at once, and for free.

I think, in a lot of ways, we were better off when we didn't know all these options existed.

Your wall words are different. They are specific quotations and I don't think you found them prepackaged at Kohl's or Target.

o

Triple post.

Sorry, this is what happens when I post from my phone.

This post was edited by sapphire69 on Thu, Aug 22, 13 at 15:31

o

Deleted double post.

This post was edited by sapphire69 on Tue, Aug 20, 13 at 9:06

o

Hearing the word trend or trendy, is like nails on a chalkboard for me. It gives me the feeling I'm being controlled and manipulated by magazines, and other sources which work toward indoctrinating our point of view and dictate what we *should* do, rather than what we *want* to do. Magazine perfect does not a real home make, nor does a decorating style/colors chosen by random, impersonal designers.

I intensely dislike(hate is too strong a word!)resin. Lamp bases which were once made of metals(brass/iron/etc.), ceramic, glass, wood, porcelain, etc., are now made to simulate all these products. The 'simulated' products come across as cheap,IMO. Paying more for the real thing would be worth it to me, but 'real' isn't always easy to find, which is the reason most of mt lamps have come from consignment/antique stores. Sometimes I feel like I'm living in the land of make believe. ;o)

o

In my first house 25 years ago, we did the kitchen in white clad slab cabinets and grey Corian counters. That was the look in 1986. The floor was terra cotta. The appliances were white. 9 years later the new people ripped it out and put in maple and granite, changed a few things and flipped the house. I loved my old kitchen and I still love it today. I considered using the same materials in this kitchen, but went for a whole new look that suited this house.
I don't like fussy cabinets because I think dirt collects in the corners and carving.

o

I dislike trends that have no basis. For example, nested and decorative gables. Now, gables are fine. I love Anne of Green Gables. I love the Alps (which is what some overly-gabled homes look like). But nested and decorative ones serve no purpose but to break up a massive façade. Just make it less imposing in the first place.

Decorating along a trend is fine if it has meaning. I like wall words that speak to the occupant of the room (although, thanks to Sapphire, I will never look at wall words in the same way again LOL! Eat?! I'm cracking up just thinking about it.) Or, if pillows made of old labeled canvas sacks are a trend, I hope we select those in a language we love, or that bear a family name, or are from a old product that we also produce or sell. Even if they came from Target. That tall vase on the mantel? I hope it came from or brings to mind a place visited and enjoyed.

My neighborhood's current trend toward painting brick I don't like, because it makes too solid a mass of color in our wooded community. As we lose trees here to Emerald Ash Borer, I will appreciate the color variations in brick.

o

I would like to preface that I know there are many talented artists who do amazing things with furniture that would otherwise end up in a landfill. My post is not directed toward you.

I dislike the popular practice of painting beautiful antiques so they look "new" or "chic". It just makes me feel sad.

My FIL passed away last year. He was in an assisted living facility when he passed, by that time he had distributed most of his possessions to family. He did, however, insist on taking a few of his favorite pieces to the home with him, old family pieces dating back to his great grandmother. When he passed, we made arrangements to donate his clothing and misc. items. One nurse inquired about his dresser. It is what I would consider a piece in good condition for its age. She wanted to chalk paint it. It does not look showroom new, but the wood is so rich and beautiful and oh, the stories this dresser could probably tell! In my heart it would be a shame to paint something so old, beautiful in a way appropriate for it's age and full of history. I do believe people discard pieces like this frequently.

So now that I think this through, maybe I am more sad that people don’t appreciate an old piece with character than that they paint it so it looks "new".

o

I dislike trends that have no basis. For example, nested and decorative gables. Now, gables are fine. I love Anne of Green Gables. I love the Alps (which is what some overly-gabled homes look like). But nested and decorative ones serve no purpose but to break up a massive façade. Just make it less imposing in the first place.

Decorating along a trend is fine if it has meaning. I like wall words that speak to the occupant of the room (although, thanks to Sapphire, I will never look at wall words in the same way again LOL! Eat?! I'm cracking up just thinking about it.) Or, if pillows made of old labeled canvas sacks are a trend, I hope we select those in a language we love, or that bear a family name, or are from a old product that we also produce or sell. Even if they came from Target. That tall vase on the mantel? I hope it came from or brings to mind a place visited and enjoyed.

My neighborhood's current trend toward painting brick I don't like, because it makes too solid a mass of color in our wooded community. As we lose trees here to Emerald Ash Borer, I will appreciate the color variations in brick.

o

Sapphire, I think that there have always been some people who tend to buy things once and keep them a long time and others who follow the trends.

The avocado green and gold of the 1970's is around 40 years ago rather than 15-20, and it was pretty pervasive at the time. I look back and can't understand how we caught the mass delusion that made those colors seem attractive. Magazines, TV and movies plus availability (or lack of availability of alternatives if you wanted to buck the trend) were enough. No internet required.

If anything, the internet sometimes makes it possible to find sources for things that aren't trendy enough to be available at your local store.

o

"I look back and can't understand how we caught the mass delusion that made those colors seem attractive. Magazines, TV and movies plus availability (or lack of availability of alternatives if you wanted to buck the trend) were enough. No internet required."

This is what frustrates me. I just finished my new kitchen and I love it. But it's really difficult figuring out if I love soapstone counters just because they are worthy of love or because I've gotten sucked into some avocado green delusion.

I just hope that a few years down the road, I'll be as happy with my choices as I am right now. Trying to anticipate whether I will or won't has been the challenge of figuring out if I'm being sucked in by someone's good marketing campaign.

o

Sparkle...that chest is beautiful and I can't imagine anyone wanting to paint that. I do think it's ok to paint run of the mill pieces that were mass produced or pieces beyond bringing them back to their original splendor.

Sixty...I remember pics of your kitchen...we have the same maple slab cabs and you have that gorgeous green granite!

Several people have mentioned resin products and I don't know what these are....

Interest in design exploded with shows like Trading Spaces and Christopher Lowell. It's obviously had its advantages and disadvantages....remember when our parents needed a new sofa or table and they just went to a few local furniture stores, or one trusted one, picked something on the floor and got on with their lives?!

o

I don't think soapstone is common enough to qualify as the avocado green of the future. I think GW might present a skewed outlook as to the prevalence of certain trends. I think that part of the avocado frenzy was that most people did not have access to view the alternatives like we do now with the internet. My mother, who worked with an interior designer, did an all-white kitchen (with black wrought iron hammered hardware) stainless cooktop and hood, island, white floor and white wallpaper-- in 1969, at the early peak of the avocado frenzy, and you would have thought she had invented sliced bread (or had a mental breakdown, depending on the source) by the local reaction, simply because people had not been exposed to those options.

And all white, islands, or stainless were nothing new even at that point. It's just that very few people read design magazines, or saw anything other than Manufacturer's ads that were pushing something else.

o

Phronesis, I take some comfort in the avocado green delusion standing out as the example of a bad trend - I don't think that since then there has been anything quite as massively adopted and then massively reviled.

We are about 7 years down the road from our kitchen remodel and still happy with our natural cherry and Azul do Mar quartzite (which has never been resealed). Soapstone is lovely but probably would acquire too much patina in our kitchen - I'd like to find somewhere in the house to use it.

Sparkle, I'd hate to see that lovely grain painted too. We have some nice wood pieces passed down that will never see paint as long as we can protect them.

o

Stainless...because EVERY little fingerprint, etc shows on it.

I like vintage homes, like from the 50's (not so much MCM), so I hate seeing them "updated" to every HGTV show "must have".

I hate seeing "cottage" or "shabby chic" in a tract home-it's just so out of place.

I forgot one just because it's out of place and weird looking to me-chandoliers in the bathroom, bedroom or kitchen.

Most things because I just personally don't like them, not because of a trend but because they look tacky or just ugly to me. A lot of people would hate my house and taste too. I've often joked that even relatives couldn't live here with no dishwasher (gasp) a match lit oven (1950's stove) and a freezer that needs defrosting (1950's fridge)...and worst of all, WOOD heat (oh, the horrors of cutting, splitting and stacking followed by bringing it it-oh the dirt and bugs...lol). That in mind I figure whatever towards trends and what others do, I'll just be glad not everyone wants a 1950's Norge fridge for instance, since I'd never have gotten it for $100 otherwise!

This post was edited by eclecticcottage on Tue, Aug 20, 13 at 8:11

o

I grew up in a post-war subdivision in So Cal. Our home was early 60's California Ranch. My mom couldn't wait to do major changes on that house in the early 70's-she chose terra cotta print linoleum for the kitchen, apple green formica counter tops and dark wood cabinets. The living room was also painted apple green, and my dad had a fondness for heavy Spanish style furnishings-so he went to Mexico and brought home loads of wrought iron and wood shelving and decor. He also chose a bright orange velvet club chair for a 'pop' of color. Mom chose a yellow and green color scheme for the room.

The family room was orange and brown, with shag carpet and a field stone fireplace-but folks had the kitchen wall cut down to create a then-unheard of open concept-with a table height bar from the family room to the kitchen.

I guess I get my love for out of the box decorating from them. I never liked the SS/granite-even when it first came out. SS was always too industrial for my taste, and granite-well, I always preferred marble.

I love texture and I do not like to be like every one else. I remember in the 80's EVERYONE had mauve walls and hunter green furniture. (Never saw the geese in So Cal) Mirrored coffee tables (jokingly referred to as 'coke tables) and HUGE stereo systems were in every home, as was oak everywhere. I really detested that-but my then husband loved it so I went along with it until I left him and started my own ecclectic decorating style.

I've always loved Spanish Mission style-wrought iron and stucco make my heart sing, but the faux Tuscan-makes my heart sink! I have wrought iron decor in my house, but I drew the line at anything Home Goods would sell. If it's made in China, it won't come in my house!

I like having cozy spaces, so I don't like an open concept. I don't like waste-so double height ceilings, niches, open spaces above kitchen cabinets-makes me nuts. I love texture, and I'm drawn to sparkle-so crystal and chandeliers are loves of mine. I have several in my house (long before they were trendy).

I guess I don't love most trends because to me, they show a lack of imagination and lack of confidence. That is not to say that everyone who has granite/SS/open concept is cookie cutter-but I've known too many people who have remodeled and gone with that look simply because that is what the sales people steered them to, and they didn't realize that looking outside the box could bring them what truely made them happy.

o

For the sake of noncomformity, I recently almost went contrarian and choose a stained wood kitchen instead of a white kitchen (with a center island). People here, friends, and relatives convinced us otherwise. They were right. The kitchen has been white for most of its 75 years, except for a brief flirtation with mint green. It is north facing. White is the right choice to stay faithful to the home, and to space and the light it affords.

I had to look back at my contribution to the "dislike" list:

I do not like oak, except on floors, due to the strong grain and the inherent weight stained oak places in a room.

I do not like limed and chalked woods for myself, as the latter is sticky and the former does not lend itself to my home and era.

I'm not a fan of the high gloss lacquered mirrors and animal heads (for the reasons cited by others). The mirrors are usually resin or plastic, do not hold up well, and frankly seem inexpensive, even if they cost a lot.

I do not like no upper cabinets for the reasons cited by shelving. Ergonomically, it is also bad for many people..

I do not like raw wood, like pallets, applied to walls in situations where the situation is not genuinely rustic.

Concrete counters too me are too easily damaged (chips, stains, cracks).

I do like a bit of the glam in the current trends, and the combination of classic and traditional with the modern, moderne, and art deco speaks to me (and mirrors the era and location of the home). I like shape and texture, so the newest dimensional tile and bold geometrics appeal to me.

The thing about decor -- we can always change it to what we like. Trends and the bombardment of media can positively influence us to stretch in new directions and expose us to new ideas.

o

Sometimes, when I hate a thing, it’s really not the poor object at fault. Some of my dislike is triggered by an uncomfortable message I give myself (which is really unfair.)

The Live Love Laugh signs, or Always Kiss Me Goodnight signs, make me feel like I’m being lectured, by a stranger, about how I should behave, or who I should be. That ticks me off, maybe because I send a tiny sneaky message to myself: “you should be a more giggly, fun loving person, with a story-book love life!” Then I feel inadequate. Then I want to kill the sign.

But I might have a friend who grew up in a tough family, where laughter and open affection were not allowed. For her, the Live Love Laugh sign might be a daily encouragement to feel good about that side of herself. So, I really shouldn’t be “hating” that object, at all!

Imagine an ornately carved table lamp, gilded fat cherubs tumbling around the base, and crystal tear drops hanging off a red silk shade. Gaudy overkill. Then imagine a 50’s lamp made of badly glued popsicle sticks, with red, green, and blue marbles that glow at night, and glitter. Even worse gaudy overkill, yuck!

But, I love the heck out of those popsicle lamps. I think it’s because the ornate gilded lamp makes me think, for a tiny nanosecond, “if you were from a different social strata, or the right place in Europe, you’d know this is good design.” So I say to myself, boy, I really hate that lamp.

The ugly popsicle lamp says, “life is short, have a good time, do something creative, who cares what it looks like.” That’s a freeing message, for me. So I love the popsicle lamp, not so much because it’s visually beautiful, because it makes me feel good about a part of myself.

Reactions to things are so crazy varied that I also think our eyes must interpret things differently, from one person to the next. One person feels peaceful with a counter of honed marble with almost no veining. Another is invigorated by an energetic, wildly patterned piece of granite. One person is comforted by the peaceful order of beautiful glossy white subway tile, and another feels complete happiness every time they look at a complicated tiny glass mosaic with five different strong colors.

We know we all react differently to music, with our ears; some love classical, but hate rock, and so on. It just makes sense to me that we probably also perceive visual things differently. Or at least, some of us must.

In my family, male color blindness is common. I'm sure that some colors the men in my family “hate” look totally different to the females in our family.

o

I hate trends because of what they are, i.e., trends!

I don't hate color on walls; I've been there, done that. But at this point in my life I prefer neutrals. It is just more soothing to me; maybe it's an age thing, I don't know. I change things up seasonally with art and accessories.

o

Recently I visited the Vanderbilt Mansion in Hyde Park NY. Mrs. Vanderbilt's bedroom is based on Marie Antoinette's bedroom in Versailles. Mrs. Vanderbilt's even has a gold fence around the bed with a gate. There's gold everywhere and a huge amount of fabric. I was about to say 'how hideous" when the man standing next to me told me that it was the the most gorgeous room ever and he loved everything in and he wished he could have a room like that. How many people in the early 20th century wished they could follow Mrs. Vanderbilt's ideas, and how about now when they see what I think is awful?
So go figure. There are no decorating/design police. Do whatever pleases you and don't worry. (Unless of course you are thinking about resale.)

This post was edited by sixtyohno on Tue, Aug 20, 13 at 10:11

o

I hate the generic want to be hipster look you can find in so many yuppie decorating blogs. Like pal and others have mention, the inappropriate artificial shoehorned trends bug me. I do not like people who try so hard to be "in". I would rather walk into someone's country kitchen with oak and Formica and country blue than into one of those blog homes that seemed to have shopped off some checklist of what makes a quirky inviting home. At least the "dated" home doesn't seem over styled or inauthentic.

And what is up with all the "grown up" nurseries and kid rooms? I'm talking about the sober serious supposedly elegant rooms. What happened to whimsical youth focused nurseries and kids room?

o

I think the Gilded Age and the Vanderbilts bring up some points for discussion. I don't think the desired endpoint of the Vanderbilts was refined good taste. The very name "Gilded Age" is not meant to be a compliment, it's a commentary. (Gilt being artificial and cheap).

I think though, if you are going to build a vast castellated house it kind of needs to have copies of furniture from Versailles for some kind of consistency. I don't think a Shaker rope bed, as beautiful as we consider them, would look so hot in the Breakers.

In that regard I think the Vanderbilts showed some taste through consistency and appropriateness.

The Trump/Maples apartment of the 1990s, not so much. It has the same nod toward over the top baroque-ness, but since it is installed in a clearly modern skyscraper, the juxtaposition makes the vulgarity aspects override the opulence aspects. (The vulgarity is there in the Vanderbilts houses, but it is at least all of a piece).

Now, you see this type of faux riche-ness in an otherwise very ordinary suburban house, with a small bedroom crammed with glittery shiny stuff--
or you see the opposite, these vast voluminous houses that are still essentially drywall boxes, tarted up with elaborate polyurethane mouldings--and a forlorn looking bed and two nightstands, positioned like they are sitting in the end zone of an empty football field.

I am not criticizing big houses or polyurethane moulding in and of themselves. But I think if you want to decorate like a Vanderbilt, or live in a house the size of a Vanderbilt's you need to have the wallet of a 19th c. Vanderbilt to carry it off.

This post was edited by palimpsest on Tue, Aug 20, 13 at 10:53

o

"The avocado green and gold of the 1970's ...I can't understand how we caught the mass delusion that made those colors seem attractive."

I can! I remember when those colors first appeared how fresh, warm and cocooning they seemed, how new & different. They were down-to-earth and subtle, not garish or artificial like atomic era aqua or Mamie Eisenhower pink. They were countercultural when they first appeared in youth fashions in the late 60s, then seemed right for the times when they became main stream.

I remember all-white homes that were painted avocado or gold or iron gray and how updated they looked. So homey. A friend's mom got new gold shag carpet -- you wanted to walk barefoot on it, definitely a place to hang out in & listen to records. I visited a local high school that was brand new construction: windowless, open concept, colored in woods, concrete and earth tones. It was calming yet creative, not like my bland institutional high school (I can't remember its colors, they were so nondescript.).

I can remember seeing this picture for the first time -- burnt orange wide wale corduroy pants & a black velvet top. Suddenly I wanted earth tone clothes too. Nobody was as cool as Brian Jones (still iconic, I think).

o

What's wonderful about decorating is that you can love a trend, use it and down the line when you are sick of it change it. That's why basics, kitchens, bathroom tile, sofas, dining tables and those things we can't easily change should not be outrageous. Pillows, artwork, paint, curtains, shades, can be changed as your aesthetic changes.
Some trendy things are fun, or they might have good associations. Enjoy and think of your space as a continuous, changing, perhaps very slowly, backdrop to your life.

o

I find it difficult to pinpoint why I love something. Was it from when I was a child feeling safe in the family home decorated with antiques, wallpaper and pretty floral curtains? Was it when I got my first job in a clothing store and bought the maxi skirt in the black chintz floral with tiny heart shaped buttons running down the front? Was I born to like certain colors with no choice in the matter? Like those who are left handed or right handed?

I have no idea without years of therapy. lol! I just enjoy certain things and try to work them in somewhere in my home keeping scale, proportion and suitability in mind.

o

awm03, what a wonderful way to describe why people in the 70's choose those colors.

I often wonder about why someone/everyone made a design choice. Such as those white laminate with wood trim cabinets that apparently everyone now hates. Well, since there are still so many of them still in kitchens, some people loved them, or at least liked them a lot.

o

Huh, I forgot to mention why I love things, lol.

I live in a cottage. It was built as a summer cottage for blue collar folks. Summer cottages usually were built reusing things from the "main" house or other places. So, the current trend to repurpose and reclaim and mismatch just fits my home. But I just like old and worn anyway, an eclectic mix that just makes it seem real and lived in.

My grandpa was a contractor and would salvage old things from his jobs-he built a "shed" (bigger than a 1 car garage) and used beautiful old french doors that a client had replaced. I think that's where I get my enjoyment of reclaiming/salvage.

I like and prefer vintage. A lot is just better built. How many stoves made in 2013 will still be working in 2063? How many pieces of pressboard furniture will still be around in 100 years?

o

I dislike open concept homes for me. I've been in a few that are spectacular, but I would go nuts. I clean one room at a time, and I'm easily sidetracked. I need a good start and end point for everything I do. Where do you start when one room takes up 7/8 of your house?

I'm not a fan of modern or MCM. Once again, it doesn't bother me if I see it in one's home, but I couldn't live with it. It just seems so plain, boring, cheap, I don't know, unimpressive. I'm not a fan of clean lines I guess.

Chickens in kitchens. The only chickens that will ever be in my kitchen are the ones that roam our property. Occasionally a door gets left open and they sneak in looking for food. They are certainly not welcome, nor are there ceramic/resin/plastic/metal counterparts.

I'm also not a fan of words on the walls. My brother and his fiancee have an apartment that is filled with words on the walls. I understand they are not able to do anything permanent and it's their way of personalizing, but it makes my head hurt. She has paired it with Americana everything. Americana is popular here and way overdone. I think my biggest issue with Americana stems from the fact that I can no longer find antiques in antique stores. 1/2 of the booths are overpriced Americana scattered with particleboard 80's furniture. I'm pretty sure 3/4 of the homes out here have stars on the outside and I think it looks ridiculous.

I love the living walls indoors. I love flowers and plants indoors and out. They just make me happy.

I also love white kitchens. Not so much the OTK version or the all white kitchens, but just white kitchens in general. But only if they look lived in and used with some personal style. That being said, I love all kitchens in all stains and colors that show personal style. I absolutely adore kitchens that are a combination of periods and styles. They look homey and inviting. I like furniture from different decades in different styles. I don't think furniture and decor has to match, it just needs to be what you love at the time. I think it keeps you from feeling like you bought the store display.

o

What was/is the trend of the French or Italian chef from a few years ago...not sure what he/it was called....statues, pictures, etc..an acquaintance had them all over her house...he was everywhere. Just didn't get that trend at all....to me it was akin to the ducks/hearts trend of the 80's.

o

Like Gracie said, I hate trends because they are trends. Hate is too strong a word for me, though. I just get bored.

The rooms I like the most (could hang out in, not just admire) are ones where I feel like I would like to meet/know the people who live there.

We were very close to buying a house last year for this very reason (turned out the 'hood was just too dangerous) . . .I wanted to meet the owners and be their friends. They had a cozy sense about them-- many bookshelves filled with well-loved books (was told they held book group meetings there), comfy kitchen that didn't try too hard, original fixtures in the baths from the 40s, etc. It needed a lot of work (just to fix what was not maintained properly) but that was OK. I "knew" them by looking at what they owned. If someone follows trends, the only thing I know about them is that they follow trends. I could still very much like the person, but I wouldn't know them from their house.

I feel lucky to live in a time where we have access (thanks, Craigslist and Father Time) to items from so many different periods. That is what keeps things interesting and personal-- that is where a house becomes a home.

o

I'm solidly entrenched in the "form should follow function" school of thought. And the "have nothing that is not useful" one too. And took some classes in hospital lab design, museum design and traffic control, flower arranging, and landscaping.

Anything that impedes the flow of traffic -for no good reason- annoys me. Sunken living rooms, elevated dining rooms, barrier reefs in kitchens, excessive numbers of doors. Found objects stacked artfully on the stairs. Begone!

Anything that inhibits the intended use of a space, whatever its use is, annoys me. Again, it often boils down to "traffic and work flow" ... the trendy corbels you bang your knee or arm on in the kitchen, the must-have chandy or mini-pendant that doesn't cast enough light , the doors on mudroom cubbies to hide the clutter in the mudroom (that was installed to keep the clutter out of the kitchen or LR), the kitchen that routes the kids seeking cold water through the cook's hot pots and chopping area.

And the impractical, installed because they are fashionable, materials. Utility counters and sinks you have to treat like fine furniture, floors you fear to let the dog walk on ...

Decor: Beds that take half an hour of pillow-removing before you can get between the sheets. Curtains sweeping the floor, collecting the cat hairs.

o

I guess, I really don't hate or love "TRENDS", what happens to me is I am either comfortable in someone's home or not!
They can be really great hosts or hostesses, but if a house is too full of STUFF, I just can't breathe.
To each his or her own, but have a very dear friend, who owned several resale/antique shops, and her home is merchandised just like her shops were.
She loves It I do not but,I do not have to live there,
I love her and my other friends, I accept what they love and hope they do the for me !!!

P.S. A couple of them are artists and I don't choose art worth a damn. If they hate it they just keep their mouths shut (at least around me) LOL

RED

o

very good points, lazygardens. I agree, trendy or not, things have to FUNCTION!

o

I think we like even the appearance of function more than we realize. For example, if columns look wrong, we may not immediately know why, until we realize that they are not holding anything up/are non-functional. Ditto for shutters. Seems that is a problem with cheap design; it applies good design inappropriately.

o

Chevron stripes are starting to annoy me They're everywhere. I even saw a DIY blog where someone was painting orange chevron on a lamp shade just because she didn't have chevron anywhere in her house yet, and she felt she should.

It looked like jack-o-lantern teeth.

And it's even invaded clothing fashions. I see young twenty-something girls wearing chevron print, strapless, flutter-hemmed cocktail dresses with dusty feet in black flip-flops while they're doing the grocery shopping. It's just odd. It doesn't fit in my home's style, and I refuse to do it just to go along with the crowd.

o

Apparently, Washi tape is a big trend in Blogland.

I resisted, and resisted, until I saw this idea, which made my heart sing (or weep) ... Washi-taped bathroom pipes:

o

And my version (Ok, no, it's not Washi tape, it's a Post-It note, but I worked on this for hours):

This post was edited by Miz_M on Wed, Aug 21, 13 at 16:18

o

When it comes to the simulated resin animal horns and coral, and anything else that was once a living thing, thank goodness for resin! Using the real deal for something as frivolous as a decoration in a home while depleting the natural resource should be a crime. In my case, my conscious would get the better of me.

Someone mentioned contrived, but I don't know if it was this thread~that's another thing I find annoying. The throw 'casually' draped over the arm of a chair/sofa bugs me, as does a completely set dinner table as a decorating 'accessory'~does nothing but collect dust. Does anyone really set out a bed tray in a guest room or on an ottoman? I like vignettes on a tabletop, just not the ones set up as 'real life'.

o

Miz M: HAHAHAHAHA! I like yours more.

RE: Iheart, "And what is up with all the "grown up" nurseries and kid rooms? I'm talking about the sober serious supposedly elegant rooms. What happened to whimsical youth focused nurseries and kids room? "

Gosh, this is SO TRUE. I recently saw a "grown up" nursery on Houzz. Let me just say that probably 100% of the people who have the $ to decorate a nursery that is on Houzz will likely want to redo the child's room before he/she is even walking. There is NO reason it needs to look like a room for a 30 something year old. No reason. I still remember my circus wallpaper from my room. I stared at it while I went to sleep, in my crib and then bed. It was fun. I can't imagine at looking at something boring or gloomy. If kids don't get to be kids when they are KIDS then, well, I am not sure what to say. It is really OK for a child's room to look like it is for a child. That doesn't mean it has to be bombarded with commercial characters or craziness, but it should at least appeal to children, not bloggers to ooh and ahh over. It doesn't have to be 99% gray with just a touch of pink, which is what the room was. Most young girls and even boys like pink, or they at least like it more than gray. (Pink used to be a "boy" color, back in the day!) I think some people think of children like they do those teacup pets-- as an accessory. Not that that is anything new . . .

o

MizM- LOL! love it

o

I recently read a study that said having a myriad of choices actually makes us less satisfied with our decision. For example, if your choice at a restaurant is beef, chicken, or fish, you will know exactly what you want and will be satisfied when you get it. Compare that to, say, the cheesecake factory menu where there are a million chickens, a million beefs, and a million fish. You are more likely to have order envy when the choices are so close. Compare that to the design world. It's a wonder we aren't all paralyzed just choosing pillows. Or kitchen knobs. So it's always better to buy what you love (trend or not) and then it will all work together.

On that note--I still love toile but hate chevron and ikat. All my wood is dark to midtone walnut and cherry, probably because that's what I grew up with. I appreciate bleached woods that are all the rage, but they dont make my heart sing. Oak was considered cheap in our house, so I don't like it. I think we are all a product of our environment.

I love marble, not because it's "in" but because it reminds me of the restaurants of Paris. (I would give anything to go back to my 20s and trade all the money I spent on hard rock Paris t-shirts for anything in a Paris flea market!)

o

Miz M - Will you marry me? love it.....

o

Lolauren, do you have a swimming pool? If so, YES! Or, do you want to move in with me? I'm working on decorating my other bathroom pipes as we speak.

I have to warn you, though ... I do paint some furniture, and that may make us very unpopular around here. But, I don't do Skittles colors, or antiques, or beautiful finishes.

If the thought of painted furniture makes you feel rage-y, I can sign a Pre-Nup stating I will not go near any wood with a brush. I'm all about compromise!

o

Haha :)

No pool, but I have lots of sinks (and associated plumbing.)

I did buy a CL buffet that everyone on here told me to not paint. Confession.... I painted it, and I love it. No pre-nup necessary.

o

Why I love or hate a trend has a lot to do with what I grew up with.

I hate drum lamps...I know they are trendy now, but I remember them as they aged away in our smoke-filled house as they got dryer and browner and the glued burlap edges started to unravel...couldn't wait to see it gone. So I guess part of it is, what memories does it provoke? Another part is, what will it look like in 15 years and will I still like it?

There is a cycle to style, just like with cars...they go from new and on trend.... to used and dated.... to vintage and classic. The question is, when looking at an item, does it have enough style and character and quality to survive the "used and dated" phase...or will it be tossed in the trash? My uncle had a sunburst clock from the 50s that I always liked and its style has survived til today. The wire legged formica topped, metal edged tables, not so much.

For example, I don't like and don't understand the ikat thing. It is something to me that will be a hallmark of an era and when we look back on it in a couple of decades will be a "what were they thinking" item. Just like I know some people are gaga over vintage bark cloth, but it was too stiff and old fashioned back then, and it still feels that way to me today.

o

I have never really been into trends. Well, perhaps some. Had a corduroy couch I upholstered in deep olive back in the late 60s. And got the wallpaper itch.

What bothers me about trends is the aftermarket. I collected tin signs, mostly coca cola. Lost interest when the market started producing all as if they were the real thing. Oddly, when we had a ranch auction, the reproduced brought double the price than the antiques

It is the same with lithographs I have loved, artists bought very early on. When they became books and the pages framed to sell, plus those darn wall calendars, my interest faded.

Was fascinated with word/wall writing and even fabric. Never bought any and glad I didn't. It is so overflowing in the stores now. In reality these have been around forever, at least since the 70s. I can remember them in our offices back then. Note pads with sayings? Posters with positive thoughts? Greeting cards? Ooops, lied about having a recent word sign. There is one in my office that says "chocolate".

Obviously I did fall for some trends early on without realizing. But 90% of what I own is based on what is loved.

I'm over beige walls and gray doesn't work well for me in snow country. Have my gallons of paint sitting by me to change my world at home.

The one thing about trends is eventually they become priced low enough for those who can't pay real price at the beginning. I like repurposing in small doses, this is a trend that gives so much for those who can't have high priced furniture. And many options for a wide audience, wherever the trend goes. But I prefer natural materials in most everything.

o

I can't stand wall words either, but I have a wooden sign in my kitchen that can't find it's way out. It says "no whining."

o

This isn't a decor trend, but a fashion trend. Exactly when should I start to expect to see straps and inseams longer than 3" again?

o

The thing about that Washi-taped P-trap is by the time you buy all the different Washi tape, you could replace it with a nice chrome or other metal-finished P trap for less money and it would last longer.

Unless blogland assumes correctly that you have all this stuff lying around just waiting to be used.

o

Pal, that was my first thought, too ... how many rolls would that take? I only had one color of Post-It notes.

o

Growing up, I was drawn to the clean lines of modern furniture and spaces. My family and relatives had colonial. To this day I do not like colonial and love MCM.

Our original home had a long claw foot tub. Sill dream about that tub!

So, maybe it is something to do with the things you loved or did not love during childhood.

o

I thought there were/are studies done regarding kids attention/learning etc. and that bright primary colors, ie. blues, reds, yellows were best for learning or something like that so I don't understand using gray in such abundance in a bedroom. If Mozart is supposed to be played while the child is in the womb, surely colors can influence even infants.
I would have died for a pink and purple bedroom with a princess/fairy canopy when I was 8.

o

I love the trend towards:
eco-friendly green materials
energy efficient house design
smaller but higher quality houses
walkable/bikeable neighborhoods

Why? Because I appreciate some kind of responsibility for our environment, health, and communities

On another note, an architect friend of mine said that the majority of his clients prefer visible upgrades over invisible quality features, such as higher quality building materials or better sound insulation because most plan on selling before the place starts falling apart.

This post was edited by nosoccermom on Fri, Aug 23, 13 at 9:37

o

Just a comment about Ikat--this to me is not a trend--just new knowledge of Central Asian cultures. A guest from Tajikistan 25 years ago brought me yards of this beautiful silk, but in colors that were entirely wrong for my house. I still have them, but am happy to see that the artistic idea is being translated into Western terms. It is honest, an historic art form for a thousand years, probably--nothing wrong with it being discovered and used appropriately here.

o

vedazu - exactly. I had to laugh when someone in the other thread said sushi was trendy (which may have been true 20 years ago - now it's just mainstream). As a person of Asian descent, I would just call sushi "food."

o

I suppose sometimes I dislike a trend because I don't want to be like anyone else...

As a painter, (interior and exterior, and artistic too) I see trends in my work everyday. I understand that if you don't play up a grey tone with an accent colors, it can look quite drab.

That being said, I love grey tones because they do work with everything, they "change" throughout the day's lighting. They seem to be much more versatile than the tan tones from a few years back...which had a tendency to backfire (too flesh colored, etc.) I very rarely have to repaint a grey!

Vinyl Word Art...I understand the concept...but seriously...The stuff wrecks my hard work! When you tire of it and still like your wall colors (like 3 months down the road) you will remove it and "ghost wording" will still be there. And then I get called because there was something wrong with the paint, or my technique....The customer is always right, though. ;)

I often paint wording on OBJECTS. When people ask me about vinyl letters, I suggest this option, as it is basically removable. You can take it down after 6 months, and hang something else there! I paint on the glass of old wooden sash windows, or whatever surface, you name it.)

Okay, I digress...My dislikes...Unpractical decorating...DH and I are building a house, someone suggested I must do a white kitchen..I laughed...A white kitchen on a farm, that's just silly to me. Families are messy, and do I really want to torture myself? That being said...I won't have granite, because dishes break when they hit it! We will have linoleum in the messy parts of the house. I can't stand laminate flooring..It does not hold up to wash & wear. And white carpet...Ugh!

Another dislike: Cathedral/vaulted ceilings. I understand the concept...But to paint those things...Really? Impractical...And where does the heat go? Besides, who wants to dust a ceiling fan and wash windows 20 feet up in the air?

And one other...I'm an old house person...I recognize the shortcomings of small kitchens and small rooms. But coming from a big family, I like the idea of being able to "hide" in the kitchen...That's why, in our floor plan, I can go around the corner, and hide in the kitchen!

On the kids' rooms...Please let them be kids...When I was a teenager, my mother let me write on my walls...Poetry, and drawings, etc. It was a beautiful chaos...But it really let my creativity blossom. I probably won't do that for my son, but I am going to paint a farm scene and dinosaurs! (His request)

I painted my 5 year old niece a vibrant purple wall, (The other three are grey.) The room once had a kitchenette...We painted it lavender (And built a little closet in it) It is her "tea room." As she grows, I think it will become a lovely reading room. (See attachment! What little girl wouldn't love that room?!)

I'm all about individuality...And if I can save something vintage in the process...I'm happy. It has very little to do with trends and more to do with my funky nature. Each to their own. In the meantime...I'm taking the woodwork and doors out of a house slated for demo (and beyond saving), refinishing it and installing it in my basement. My new house will have a little bit of that old house feel. :)

Sparklebread: That dresser is gorgeous! Maple, maybe?
Never ever paint it!!! lol

o

Not all children like Disney cartoons on their walls or a zoo theme. One of my children gravitates toward globes, maps, and solar system models that are realistic and not childlike. His imagination soars and he enjoys it. I'm not going to force a more typical look into his bedroom if it doesn't fit his personality.

o

I really enjoyed your post, happy grrrl. You express yourself very well! And this was such an interesting thread- I'm glad you brought it back.

The little girl's room is adorable!

o

Love, love, love your niece's room. Can I have it if she ever outgrows it?

o

I have really enjoyed reading this thread, I just ran across it today. While I had lots of thoughts and comments along the way, I think the one that sticks with me the most is TRY as a wall word.
I believe I will do that in my new home. So simple, yet profound.

Well done Pal. :)

and what the heck is Washi tape anyway? and why would you put it on your pipes??? lol

This post was edited by loribug26 on Wed, Oct 30, 13 at 14:05

o

Because I live with one, I thoroughly dislike the new fireplaces that have no mantle and a great flat expanse behind (for an unwanted TV) which no one knows how to decorate successfully. For Christmas it's no problem as I can fill the area with a small tree and Christmas garden underneath. But it's hard to imagine how to decorate other times without a mantle and the blank space and bare corner behind it. Having grown up with fireplaces in almost every room, this new look leaves me cold. I once heard Santa moving a fireplace screen by accident, and we became experts at snipping a cigarette into the LR fire before Mother could see it. No hope for anything exciting with this newbie.

o

Ok, this isn't really a trend but...it irks me to see pillows on furniture with a karate chop on the top of them.
~diane

o

To the trend on "adult" looking, neutral or sober kids' bedrooms, I think all of the ones I've seen are nurseries. An infant only focuses about 12-18" from his/her face, so most babies can't see their own rooms anyway for a year or so (if they are even in them much). As was said, these expensive rooms will probably be redecorated in a year or two anyway; so my comment would be, if the mother enjoys a peaceful, calm nursery in which to tend to her baby, why not? As long as it's functional! The parent is the one seeing and using it at that point, not so much the baby. But when that baby is a toddler or small child, or if the parents don't plan to redecorate, then perhaps a more colorful, engaging space is called for.

o

I grew up in an area where the idea of a decorated nursery or kid's room was non existent. The bedrooms were mostly functional areas and there might be a nod to the age of the baby/child/adolescent with a bedspread or a picture or two. They were basically adult, functional, rooms once the crib disappeared. I am 50, so this might be a historical thing and a regional/socioeconomic thing.

My siblings and I did have decorated rooms but they were pretty mature masculine or feminine, and I was seven when mine was done. (I had a bulletin board for kid stuff).

o

I'm surprised I never responded to this before.

I am a sucker for trends. Anything new shiny and purty, if they light it nicely and put it in a shelter mag, I want it. Even if it is something I used to hate, I kind of cock my head and reframe it.

I am not particularly proud of this, but there it is.

I think, if I were to try to analyze, I like trends because I like change, I like the new, I like moving forward. I noticed a long time ago that, after a certain age, people often seem to stop wanting things (material things). While that is arguably more evolved, better for the environment, better for their finances, I somehow find it sad, too. There is something, to me, very primal about yearning for shiny pretty things, with the yearning being more important then the getting, as always.

o

mtnrdredux -- you're brave to admit it! I have that response to Crate & Barrel catalogues -- I want every dish, glass, pot, and pan they offer! When I could easily afford them, I easily resisted the urge. But now that my fiscal belt is drawn tight, I've got the worst longing... Even with all the messages to re-use and re-cycle, my green-ness manifests mostly in yearning for STUFF!

o

I find as I age the things I thought I was tiring of I now want. One is open concept rooms/homes…really thought I was sick of it. Now that I’m older and the kids are gone a small open concept perfectly suits my needs. Although I’m seeking a much smaller square footage someday I hope to have grandchildren and host family gatherings. With an open plan I can squeeze in extra tables or accommodate more seating with folding chairs if I have to. We can gather all in one area which in my neck of the woods could spill out to a patio. Same thing with open kitchen’s, thought I was over it but now it makes the most sense for how I plan on living and using my space. I want all my kids and future babies where I can see and enjoy them. As far as décor trends go, I love and hate. Hate a whole room of it but love being able to poke a few trends in here and there to make me feel hip to the action.

o

I dislike the dreary nurseries that are all over blogs and Pinterest. Some are lovely, but I think my kiddo would be depressed living in a gray or navy blue room. He's been drawn to things with color since he was a few months old.

I also dislike all the owl stuff. Although I loved my great-grandmother, I remember her having a lot of owl jewelry and probably some knick-knacks. I think of owls as an old lady thing.

o

Oh, I think you might be surprised what kids would like or dislike in a bedroom if they were given free reign.

I have seen kids express an interest in a black room, dark brown, dark grey --"like a cave", dark green "like the woods" or navy blue like space or water, and for girls in particular, very dark purples and dark pinks, and purple and pink may be "bright" on some level but they have low light reflectance values.

I've never known a kid to pick out the timid cheerful pastels their mom's pick out for them.

o

Hi, my name is T, & I'm a trendaholic! This thread has been so FUN to read!! I LOVE new trends &ideas...I also love the old & cherished & many different styles of decor..I have my "rusty old things" decorated basement filled with family heirlooms and flea market finds. My shabby chic guest BR dripping in weathered white woods & crystals.. The beach cottage Master that is crying out for me to replace the popcorn ceiling with beadboard... Then there's our den dining kitchen open concept filled w SS, light woods, blacks whites blues & tans.....all that said ... I DO have my limits when trending however...

Remember those home interior type parties? The "groupings" the sales Hostess put together ? & everyone ooooed & awed over as they filled out their new look by checking squares on a sheet of paper of the things theyLOVED??? I went to a few of those back in the day, but never imbibed even though I wanted desperately to help my friend hosting it to get the free brass wall butterflies that would finish her 'grouping' to covetous perfection. Lol...
I just found this site yesterday & haven't got a thing done around this house since. So many trends... So little time & not nearly enough rooms :)

o

Hi, my name is T, & I'm a trendaholic! This thread has been so FUN to read!! I LOVE new trends &ideas...I also love the old & cherished & many different styles of decor..I have my "rusty old things" decorated basement filled with family heirlooms and flea market finds. My shabby chic guest BR dripping in weathered white woods & crystals.. The beach cottage Master that is crying out for me to replace the popcorn ceiling with beadboard... Then there's our den dining kitchen open concept filled w SS, light woods, blacks whites blues & tans.....all that said ... I DO have my limits when trending however...

Remember those home interior type parties? The "groupings" the sales Hostess put together ? & everyone ooooed & awed over as they filled out their new look by checking squares on a sheet of paper of the things theyLOVED??? I went to a few of those back in the day, but never imbibed even though I wanted desperately to help my friend hosting it to get the free brass wall butterflies that would finish her 'grouping' to covetous perfection. Lol...
I just found this site yesterday & haven't got a thing done around this house since. So many trends... So little time & not nearly enough rooms :)

o

Didn't someone (Pal?) have a post a few years back about why we hated some trends, and that one reason revolved around what we grew up with? Because I honestly don't care for MCM - at least the stuff that I grew up with -- the starburst wood clock, formica countertops, the hanging chained light fixtures, the gold carpeting, specific colors such as harvest gold, avocado green, some tones of rust/orange, etc. Meanwhile, a friend of mine who is 12 years younger loves MCM.

And, it's that I don't want to live with those things (and they don't fit into the style of my house) but I don't mind seeing them in other people's houses as long as those things "fit" the style and are well-done. Then, I can appreciate the style... but I still don't want to "live" in the house with the style.

Also, now that I'm older and have traveled, I don't like things that just purchased to "pull the design together" - like when stagers are trying to neutralize a room with objects that pull the colors together but don't have any real "worth." Stuff that doesn't really have any meaning or purpose. I like to decorate with things that remind me of places that I've been or that are made by artists/craftsmen (doesn't have to be expensive) rather than mass-produced.

When I was just out of college, I had more of those decorating pieces from Target, etc. because I hadn't traveled and lived enough (plus, no money) to have accumulated many items that had personal meaning, yet.

o

Hate: Shag carpeting. Hated playing on it as a kid (scratchy and caused rug burns). Hated vacuuming it (would get caught in vacuum). Still hate it. I know that the frieze carpet today is much better, but I still won't put it in my house. I have a dog and can't imagine trying to get that carpet clean.

o

Same here, Kees_Lover. When I was in college, shag carpeting was ubiquitous in rental property, usually in an utterly disgusting condition. Not an easy image to shake.

My current peeve, though, is the abuse of respectable furniture with waxed chalk paint. I love beautiful wood but also have been known to yearn over brilliantly painted dining chairs, dressers, and side tables. On my Craigslist, though, inexpert sellers are doing terrible things to inoffensive household objects with chalk paint, "distressing" them (Ha! The the poor things are begging for mercy!), and then demanding large sums for the result. A few sellers do commendable work in enhancing tired old pieces, but with many of the painted items, multiple unattractive colors are used, the distressing is executed inappropriately, and the furniture just looks ugly. Sometimes it really grieves me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here