Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cookingrvc_gw

Reborn Restoration Hardware Reinvented - What!!??

cookingrvc
13 years ago

I got the Restoration Hardware catalog this week and was so looking forward to curling up with it only to find that they have completely changed their style and selection.

I am not sure what they're doing or whether it will be successful, but it didn't appeal to me at all. Very taste specific and frankly some of the stuff is odd.

There's an introduction in the front of the catalog from their CEO. I just don't get it, but maybe that's just me.

What did you think?

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: RH

Comments (86)

• runninginplace
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

"I can only speak for myself, but I've been buying new and used unfinished furniture for over 20 years and finishing the pieces myself, either with paint or a waxed finish that needs to be maintained periodically."

But, this isn't unfinished furniture...it's extremely pricey faux-aged furniture that is most definitely not sold as a partially finished piece.

I've bought unfinished stuff too and finished it myself. The new RH line is not that stuff.

Ann

• juddgirl2
    13 years ago

tinam - I've used mineral spirits before to remove Briwax, so that might work.

• bigdoglover
    13 years ago

I really liked most of the furniture, more the lines and scale of it than the colors and finishes. They are going back to very classic elements and I love that. But then I still love Williamsburg chandeliers and sconces and 18th century reproductions and forms, when most of the rest of the country is throwing theirs overboard for a different look, lol!

• ttodd
    13 years ago

Chateau Domingue is one of my favorite places to look for inspiration. I've found that many of my 'tabbed' inspiration pics feature architectural elements or something from them. It's def. a much 'warmer', 'homier', 'cozier' than how RH has the look.

I'm hoping to head out to the new look RH store tomorrow.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chateau Domingue

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    13 years ago

Well, you know, there was a big article in our local paper today with a spokesperson from RH explaining that when you buy a table from them, you're not buying the function of the table, you're buying the "backstory" of the table.

Hmmm.

• ttodd
    13 years ago

So is that backstory the original manuscript or a photocopy? (Insert wink here) Just askin'!

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    13 years ago

For their prices, it better be hand-illuminated on parchment! :)

• Ideefixe
    13 years ago

Ttodd-- I love that site, but boy, I'm not standing on the inset pebble kitchen floor. I love that look, but it's just not remotely practical. Anyone ever been to the store in Houston?

• kitchendetective
    13 years ago

Idee,
    Do you mean Chateau Domingue? Yes, I go peruse whenever I can. Less expensive than a trip to the French countryside and positively transports me. The owners let people wander around and fantasize. The address is on a busy street, but the entrance is actually out of the way, so it's not that easy to find the first time. I had to summon up the courage to enter the first time. Talk about scale! They have entire chateau walls reconstructed on the lot and the like. It's a fabulous resource. Stacks of antique stone floor components; huge gates; painted armoires; zinc heads; stone urns; plinths; sinks--it's a wonderland.

• ttodd
    13 years ago

I guess that's what I really like about someting like Chateau Domingue (at least the pictures) they give me a fantasy and then maybe somehow I can recreate something similar in my home. Or just dream!

It's amazing how they provide the resources that they do. Whole walls?!

KD - how lucky that you've been able to see in person! I couldn't live near that - they'd think I was a stalker!

I wondered about that kitchen floor too!

• ttodd
    13 years ago

Either my 4yo old son is very observative and has a memory like an elephant or I've drug him to RH one time too many.

He and I went to check out the new RH store this morning and he had myself, the sales staff and the customers on the floor in stitches.

As soon as we stepped foot in the store he threw his hands in the air and in a shrill voice as loud as he could, shrieked "WHAT THE.....?!" then his hands went to his head and he continued: "WHAT HAPPENED HERE? WHAT DID YOOOOOOOU DOOOOOOOOOOO?!!!!".

I was hysterical!!!!!!!!

BTW: It was clear that they weren't done w/ the remodel and it was very somber as mentioned by others. I liked the lack of clutter and I liked the bedroom/ bath setting that featured the Silver Sage towels aginst the Slate walls. Alot!

• pinch_me
    13 years ago

I get the online "newsletter". The first one I thought was a promo for something they were going to carry. The second one I thought was a follow up promo for something they were going to carry. I clicked through and winced. Nope. Not the RH I knew. Spam? Didn't seem like it. I had hoped it was just an advertising thing. Guess not, huh? I'll be unsubscribing from the online version now that I know. Nothing there for me. And I suppose there's no reason to keep my old catalogs. Do they still have any of that stuff? I should have ordered the lights when I saw them. I'm of the same opinion as powermuffin, It looks like Hobby Lobby. But Hobby Lobby has everything half price sooner or later.

• biochem101
    13 years ago

My first thought when glancing through the new RH catalog was "Joni from Cote de Texas is working for them!"

As you know, Joni has been espousing Swedish and Belgium dor, plus all white rooms for ages.

Clicked on my old link for Kitchens 101: Elements to Copy , and voila! There it was back in January 2009.

A number of people have noted how long these trends are in coming, and how long it takes the company to put together the collection and make the changes.

So whatÂs coming next I wondered? Could it be JoniÂs newest column? Checked out Top Ten Design Elements (Sept. 4, 2010) and what do we see?! Color! Patterns! Brass! Tapestries! Clutter! The mix of floral patterns reminds me of the current fashion trend to pair a floral neck scarf with a totally different floral skirt or top, then add a vintage purse or jewelry.

Not that I know anythingÂjust ruminating. What do you think?

• cinnamonsworld
    13 years ago

I stopped in a Restoration Hardware this weekend and thought, wow, designers have really done their job. It seems risky because so much of the stuff is off on its own color scheme and theme ... but in real life I thought it was all gorgeous, and a departure from what you can see anywhere and in all ranges of qualities these days. I think they want to keep an edge and with this season they have done it with the light nonwarm grayish woods, etc. If I had tons of money and a new place to decorate, although my taste usually runs to darker, I could see putting in a lot of that stuff from floors on up.

• jakabedy
    13 years ago

ttodd -- too funny!!

I happened to be near RH today so thought I would stop in and see what all the fuss is about. I didn't have the heart to ask if they weren't quite through with the redesign. It was so . . . sparse. One room (the back left room in our store) had only the curtain display, a giant table, and one chair. Really? Maybe I'll go back in a couple weeks.

I did fall in love with one thing, though - the Aviator chair. That thing is right out of Buck Rogers, I tell ya.

• loribee
    13 years ago

Ttodd...what a great story, lol! Thanks for sharing~

• lukajoey
    13 years ago

I prefer this "new" RH to the "old" RH and admire the company for taking this risky step to introduce something "new" to what is being mass merchandised -- I see that Pottery Barn and Ballard are now also incorporating some of these Belgian/European elements into their offerings -- I find it refreshing. I see that the RH collection for the Fall offers their gorgeous Belgian sofas now in different sizes - I was thrilled to see the smaller 6' versions at a price that was closer to what I could afford.....when looking at the website and catalog, I do not get turned on at all with the gallery rooms and the monochromatic look that others have complained about - boring - but I am only interested in a few pieces and have no desire to recreate "the look".

I say "thank you thank you thank you" for RH taking the step to get away from that darn silver sage that they've been hung up on for years :). I think their move to this new style is progressive and bucked the trends, but I hope that they continue to evolve and not stay "stuck" on this look for too long -- I agree, it gets old very fast!

• beachlily z9a
    13 years ago

Somber, cluttered, dark .... not in my home!

• ttodd
    13 years ago

I do really like the fact that they've gone in a whole new direction but at the same time I'm scared: How soon before it's everywhere and it doesn't feel 'special' anymore?

When I was at the store I didn't feel like there was anything cluttered about it. I felt very relaxed and my mind felt 'uncluttered' if that makes sense. I went home and based upon a fair amount of my inspiration photos, designers that I follow and RH mentally started to unclutter the walls and surfaces in my home. That is a good thing!

Jakabedy: I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the store that you were at wasn't done. That's sort of the way 1 large section of the back of our store looked like, I could still see the lines from where they ripped out built-ins and things in that section seemed temporarily propped up on walls.

Yes that aviator chair was pretty cool! If I had the money I'd buy a pair for the boys (including DH) play/ den.

• User
    13 years ago

I have to expose myself as a total rube and say that I've never actually been in a RH store, and probably never will, when I get to a city it's for work or tourista activities, which, for the sandyponder family, does not involve shopping. But to me, a total color slut, the catalog is dark, dank and depressingly monochromatic. Everything looks like it was photographed in black and white and tinted with those old school sepia toned paints.

However, I think the "rebirth" schitck is an interesting marketing tactic (or, perhaps, scheme), but they have done the whole monochromatic, oversized, antiquity wannabe look for at least a year now, so I don't even know what's so new about it.

Interesting aqnd thnoughtful commentary from all.

sandyponder

• mitchdesj
    13 years ago

I can't wait to visit the store at City Place in west palm beach, I'm heading down there at the end of the month.

• marie_louise
    13 years ago

I went into a RH store today to feel some of their sheets that are on sale. It took the clerk 10 minutes to find a pillowcase for me to feel-the only bedding they have out is what is on the beds, and none of the 6 beds in the store happened to have this on it.

The store had a weird vibe. It sort of gave me the creeps. I felt like I was in the home of someone suffering from depression. It was so dark I couldn't tell whether or not I liked the color of the pillowcase. She only brought one color down and I didn't feel like waiting another 10 minutes in the dark for her to rustle up another color.

I found it unpleasant on a bright sunny day; I cannot imagine wanting to go in there in the winter.

I'll be surprised if this store is still around this time next year.

• chloe5
    13 years ago

I get too depressed in the winter to surround myself with griege (isn't that sort of their theme color?). I do like some of their stuff, and I like griege, but it is too dark and depressing to have everything that color.

• marie_louise
    13 years ago

Here's a link to some pictures of one of their stores. I think the one I was in was even darker, LOL.

I have been a fan of theirs for years-I've bought everything from leather chairs to towels from them. They have the best towels! I really want one of their new quilts, but honestly, I'm dreading have to go in there and hang out in the dark while they go fetch the samples from me.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dark RH

• logic
    13 years ago

IMO, the CEO is channeling the Seinfeld Peterman character.

Taste aside, the pricing is truly a joke on so many items..especially those that are clones of what can be found in most big box stores for far, far less.

Bottom line? Over-hyped, overpriced mediocrity, with some odd pieces thrown in to try to make people think that RH has "reinvented" design.

I can just envision the CEO and the writers, laughing and slapping their knees when they came up with that introduction, taking bets on how many people would actually take it seriously.

Can't blame them for trying.

• jerseygirl_1
    13 years ago

I was at the store by my home when they were repainting. I drove by the other day and noticed they also repainted the outside trim the same as the store. With the dark walls on the inside and now the dark trim on the outside, I found it very dreary and I love gray. I would have liked to see the lighter shades of gray used. It would be nice if they popped the store with some bright pillows, green plants, bright art work, or something.

• bird_lover6
    13 years ago

The store on Westheimer in Houston is very depressing, and with very little merchandise to buy. It seems almost everything has to be ordered.

I seriously wonder how this new operation can be more profitable than previously. We are an "instant gratification" society, and like to walk out with something in our shopping bags. LOL

I am NOT a fan.

• Ideefixe
    13 years ago

I just went into the Pasadena, CA store, and it looked great--lots of people looking around. Maybe it's the contrast with bright SoCal light. The sales people told me that the bedroom furniture has been very popular. I still want those huge calipers and the chesterfield.

• polly929
    13 years ago

Logic....I had the same picture of the execs in suits in my mind-LOL

• pinch_me
    13 years ago

In Retro Renovation's newsletter today, Pam wighs in. I agree with her, BTW!

Here is a link that might be useful: Retro Renovation and Restoration Hardware

• kimmieb
    13 years ago

RH new look - I have pretty strong opinions about the change as a long time customer:

WAY too much of a good thing/trend/grey/weathered wood

Most of the products are too big for my house even if I did like them.

Catalog is boring and depressing. How about a little variety? it's all the same - page after page of oversized, grey. Not one hint of color anywhere to be found.

Prices are now outrageous - RH is pricing themselves into the high end space. If I'm going to spend that much for large furniture pieces, I'd go to one of my decorator friends or high end furniture stores and not pay shipping and pick from a wider variety of fabric, cushion, finish options from a known manufacturer since it's hard to determine who makes each piece at RH. In addition, I'm not usually willing ot wait 4 months like I had to with a bench I recently purchased that was supposed to be the "stock" piece.

They have gone way beyond monochromatic decorating to depressing. I like simple but really RH what are you thinking? I have never opened a shelter magazine and seen anything close to the boring lack of any color, texture, or bling in my life as your catalog layouts. Even the outdoor shots are very depressing. I haven't seen a store in person but, have no desire to see one after getting a whole bunch of Tim Burton (Beetlejuice) like catalogs.

That being said there are some pretty pieces in the new line that I like. I do appreciate the desire to sell upscale pieces but, how about the option to order say a vanity in the new line in something in some other finish besides fake "weathered wood".

I finally receieved an order from RH for an upholstered bench with the "weather wood" finish and something is weird about the wood. It almost looks plastic looking. I immediately sanded it and painted it white and plan on taking off the very cheap "linen" fabric that was the stock fabric. This is what I planned to do all along because it the price on this particular item was less than the other benches on the market.

In this economy I would guess that RH is going to lose a lot of cusotmers. I think they may have priced themselves out of the customer base they had a following with especially since things take so long to arrive from this catalog company. They used to fill a nice gap between low end etailers and high end custom. Seems like they could at least keep a little silver sage around!

• sayde
    13 years ago

I'm a great fan of RH -- my whole bathroom is their Gramercy line -- I just copied the entire page right out of the catalog. But I have to say, they seem to be losing their way, or their constituency, reaching for something that just seems to miss the current beat -- too large when things are getting smaller, and there is something unsettling about this striving for an "authentic" antique-ey natural wood aesthetic when you know it is all being mass produced in China. It does have the look of Vervoordt Disneyland -- and I love Vervoordt. I love the Belgian aesthetic -- but I have to say, I am feeling a little ready for something with more cheer, more softness. What happened to soft faded chintz, to country English, to Laura Ashley?

• leahcate
    13 years ago

Ditto sayde, well stated!!
    I have some advice for them re. their stores murky lighting. Every book/article I've ever read on giving wonderful parties all agree: Begin the party on a festive note to get the party going.... bright lighting in the beginning, gradually( never in the case of a RH) lower it as the night wears on and mellows out.
    The gloomily lit interiors of our RH do not encourage me to enter and enjoy, but to pass by feeling a shiver of depression. Perhaps this works for the youth clothing market of A&Fitch, but surely not for home furnishings. Why not simulate the frosty brightness of a European(northern)winter morning. Or a summer room, where the long, soft light is filtered through the linden lined streets? Oh, good grief! I'm waxing poetic :>O
    Hope they survive and turn it around.

• mitchdesj
    13 years ago

I finally went to the City Place store last week; although I did like certain pieces, the overall impression I got was gloomy. There were big blotches of white paint on every wall, I got the impression they are going to repaint, walls are way too dark. I want the old RH back.

• jerseygirl_1
    13 years ago

I hope they do repaint. I went into our local RH this weekend to look at drapes. There was no one in there but me. PB is located 2 doors down and it was packed.

RH has been turned into a very unappealing store. Too gloomy. I find the furniture boring.

• trinkette1
    13 years ago

I'm building a new house and have been scouting new furniture for a family room. Originally, we were going to build a European style cottage and I was looking for some rustic, European pieces - the "new" RH style had a few things I was interested in seeing. Then, we changed the house plan to a less-pricey-to-build cape style home. Still, I wanted to evoke a little European style, so RH remained on my go see list.

I love shelter-style sofas, especially with a bench style cushion, I and drove more than an hour and a half yesterday to the nearest RH to see their shelter sofa. Should have called first... they don't have that particular sofa in stock (and they had more sofas than they'd ever had on the floor before said the sales person). In fact, the only store within several hundred miles that has the shelter sofa is NY city (a "flagship" store). So, I either must drive 7 hours to NYC or must spend several thousand dollars on a sofa that I can't see first, even in the wrong size or color. Hummm...

Then, if one orders ANY sofa in any size or color that isn't stock, (stock is 8' sofa in sand colored linen) it is considered custom and can not be returned. HUH????

Really, although I liked the Belgian linen sofas (albeit completely impractical in the light, wrinkle-prone linen fabric) I had to spend HOURS in the store comparing one to another. Yes, some are HUGE and all are quite low to the ground (18" to top of seat cushion) and extremely deep (as much as 4'). Difficult to get out. If you like to curl up on a couch or lounge for hours, and don't mind a bit of a UMPH to get up, you will like the sofas. I still like them, even though I never saw my first pick. And, not being able to see the shelter style really bugged me.

I cracked-up when I saw the humongous case pieces. Almost look like they should be on stage somewhere.

I was surprised at how unimpressed I was with many of the chairs. I found them uncomfortable and unwelcoming. That goes for the aforementioned dramatic Versailles chair as well. I mean, if you are going to do a chair like that, it should be KILLER comfy. For me, it wasn't even close.

Overall, what frustrated me most was how little of what you see in the catalogue was actually available to see/hold in the store, both in terms of furniture and bedding/towels (which was all lovely, BTW). Case in point: the store I was in did not stock all the colors of towels and sheets (of course almost everything they did have was grey, brown or silver sage). Very disappointing.

The staff was very cordial and helpful.

I remember thinking that it was weird that EVERYTHING was in this old-is-new-again-distressed-and-worn style. At least Ballards and others have something else to offer. I don't mind the concept, however, I think they have gone over the top on this one. I am SURE it will change down the road. I'll be sick of the same stuff in no time. And the point made earlier about the difference between an ORIGINAL antique-something-or-other vs. a newly crafted-to-look-old piece, is well-taken. For me, it is the difference between a fine home and a stage set.

Also, I didn't see any rugs. Looking at the rugs in the catalogue, I can't tell what they look like at all.

Finally, I have several family antique pieces, late 17th and early 18th century, that I plan to keep. I don't know how successful blending the RH pieces would be, mostly because of the scale and rough, ashen wood tones. Some of the tables and shelves with metal, and smaller cased pieces might work fine.

I haven't read the pompous CEO letter, since I have the catalogue next to me, I'll do that now!

• ttodd
    13 years ago

Jerseygirl - that's a really interesting observation! In our mall PB and RH are located in 2 separate buildings. RH is in the smaller, high end section and is very much less trafficked. PB is in the larger mall building and that building is ALWAYS packed.

May I ask if the PB that is near you has been remodled?

Starting new thread!

• bird_lover6
    13 years ago

It is pretty shocking how many items are considered special order at the Restoration Hardware I visited. And if I remember correctly, you have to pay shipping (10%) on anything ordered, plus tax.

Yuck.

I used to love to browse and almost always came home with some goody I found in the store. I would imagine RH made quite a bit of money from folks just browsing. sp O can't believe they are - for all practical purposes - giving up that segment of the market.

Makes no sense to me. :(

• pps7
    13 years ago

So I finally made it to our local RH for the F&F sale and OMG, it looks terrible. I still like their stuff but the slate color in the entire store(including trim) is very gloomy and the lighting is terrible. The section of the store that has a ton of natural light looks fantastic. I'm not sure if I will be able to shop there anymore LOL!

• subwaytile
    13 years ago

I do not like the new look very much. I bought a dining room set fro RH two years ago and there were so many beautiful sets to choose from. I took a look at the sets recently and there was nothing that I liked. All of the stuff is this weathered oak. I also looked at couches recently and found them to be far too trendy, more like beds. This may not be new, though. I did buy a medicine cabinet from them recently, the cartwright, and it nice looking and seems well made.

• mitchdesj
    13 years ago

I went back to the RH store yesterday, they have wonderful throws but it's painful to be in there, it's such a dark cavern feeling, I hope they are planning to repaint. This has got to be my retail disappointment of the year.

• bpollen
    13 years ago

I agree! When I got the catalog and took a look, I thought...what the hey!?! Not only was the stuff weird and unappealing, the catalog was a mess and barely readable. Whoever published/printed their catalog used WHITE print against LIGHT backgrounds...I couldn't read what some of the product descriptions and prices said! Yet someone at RH had to approve the catalog before it went out. I hate to say it, but that person should be fired. That was a total dereliction of his/her job duties to let that catalog go out like that.

I've been to our local store several times this year. They renovated it, repainted, redesigned it, etc. NOW they don't carry much of what is in the catalog. The clerk will have to order it online for you (no shipping fees that way). I couldn't take a look at some things I had seen in last year's catalog, because the store doesn't have even a sample sitting out (like task lamps). They did have samples of most of their drapes, and that's where I bought my velvet drapes. They were clearly of a superior quality to Pottery Barn's and others that I'd seen. But they had to order them for me; they didn't have enough panels in the store to cover my window (and this was a basic camel velvet that I'm sure they sell a lot of).

All their furniture is too large for my small house and my taste. I threw away the catalog, and I look at their stuff online. I figure that they are trying to become lean and mean in these recessionary times, hence the small inventory in the store. But there's no excuse for that horrible catalog. (BTW, the task lamp I bought and the velvet drapes are absolutely beautiful and high quality. They cost a pretty penny, but at least I got my money's worth. I couldn't be happier with them, and with their customer service, which is top rate.)

As for their weather-washed huge furniture, another poster mentioned it was a Swiss style or something. Maybe. But furniture from Sweden, Norway, etc., is usually small scale with simple lines. The RH furniture was enormous, with round feet, large bulky posts, besides being that unattractive gray. I can't imagine that style will sell much. It certainly doesn't suit me. But then, I probably wouldn't buy furniture from RH to begin with, because of the price.

• lala girl
    13 years ago

We ordered the large salvaged wood trestle table from them this fall and have loved it!

I was looking for a dining room table that was casual but not too country - I like their European approach to worn, patina-ed style. I think it is casual and elegant at the same time. Would I do an entire room like this? Nope, a little bleak and depressing for me (my DR is lavender) But I have used several of their pieces where I need some thing neutral and interesting.

Now actually getting the DR table and the 8 velvet chairs was a total nightmare and involved probably 6 calls to customer service overall (DH made all the calls and managed to get a discount on our order every time something got messed up and ended up saving us over $500 on the order - which eased the pain! :-)

• powermuffin
    13 years ago

I just have to add my 2 cents. When I opened their catalog, I immediately thought of old sheets that no longer are white. Just dirty looking stuff.

I used to love their stores.
    Diane

• mitchdesj
    13 years ago

laura, I love that big table !

although I don't like the stores per se with the dark walls, I do like most of the merchandise, the antique looking linens, etc... I just don't think it's mainstream enough to appeal to a wide percentage of the population and they had the right balance before .

• chicagoans
    13 years ago

I agree that the store does look kind of depressing now. (I'm near the Oak Brook store in IL.)

I got some stocking stuffers there and ordered 2 commemorative Wrigley Field baseballs. When the box arrived, it was huge, and I thought 'All that for a couple of baseballs?' Turned out they sent me someone else's order (2 urns with bulbs), and the packing list with their names etc. was in there.

I called customer service so that I could get my baseballs and to let them know that I got someone else's order, and that it looked like a gift (the buyer was not the recipient.) The first guy said, keep them, and we'll send the baseballs. Then a woman called back and asked if she could send a shipping label, could I print it, and bring the box with urns to a UPS store? It wasn't too much of a hassle so I said sure.

Then I got another call that said just put the box on the front porch and UPS would pick up. OK. Then they offered me a $20 gift card because of all the phone calls. Sure, thanks!

Well, UPS came and went and I got the baseballs in time for Christmas, but never any gift card. It's not a big deal, but they did seem really unorganized!

• grlwprls
    13 years ago

Is it just me, or did they raise the price of all the furniture recently and then lower the price of shipping said furniture to $95?

The bath cabinet I want (and missed purchasing during the bath event...) is now $1095 (when I swear it was originally $795, then went up after its "introduction" to $995...)

The cabinet matches our overpriced vanity, but man am I having a hard time biting the bullet and buying it now that it's over $1k. It's just a 24" storage cabinet for heaven's sake! But that damn shabby oak is nearly impossible to match and when you're off from it, it doesn't blend like other normal woods will.

• canadianmiss
    13 years ago

Just had to chip in my 2 cents as I am living a nightmare with RH currently.
    I ordered the shutter bath vanity and I have to say its a beautiful piece of furniture, very heavy and seemingly well made.
    Ordered it in January and after receiving 3 vanity tops..all cracked, and the vanity itself damaged, I am still waiting to actually install the pieces! Maybe if I'm lucky it will be this week :(
    I would never ever ever order anything from the again..beautiful as some of the pieces may be.
    Just a heads up for you!
    I have

• johntheman_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

If I want to get a wood sliver on my hand, I can get that on my property in the adirondacks. I do not need to get it from the desks that RH sells.

It's either re-used wood or chairs that belong on space ships.

Back to Ethan Allen

• scoutfinch72
    13 years ago

I went into RH last week for the first time in 2 years and I agree with the pps who said the store is dark and depressing. There used to be a whole bright display wall for paint and when I asked what happened to the paints the clerk responded that they are now what is considered a "gallery store" and don't stock many items, but what paint they did have was over on some metal shelves in a dark corner. I was also the only shopper in the store. Honestly, most of their stuff was over my budget before, but now their pricing is definitely out of my league.

I walked across the way to the newly enlarged and renovated PB and saw lots of people browsing a bright store with tons of windows. It was a marked contrast.