Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alwaysadaylate

To pipe or not to pipe

alwaysadaylate
10 years ago

I am making a bench cushion for a black u-shaped lounge bench in my son's room. I have put the fabric around a few bed pillows just to see what it would look like. The faux black piping you see in the picture is actually duct tape. The fabric is a grey with black specks.

What do you think? Piping or no piping?

Comments (8)

• EllaInspired
    10 years ago

Piping makes it more modern and edgy where as a self-welt is traditional and classy, so go with your gut :)

• alwaysadaylate
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much....my gut has been saying piping.....but my sewing skills are saying what the heck are you thinking????you can't sew!!!

My son's room is more modern. I attached a pic if his bed and bookcase. My husband is not done building his desk yet, but I would say it is definitely modern. So I guess piping it is!!

• Laurie
    10 years ago

Something to consider: the black piping may bother you if it's not straight or not lining up with other cushions on the u-shaped lounge bench.

I'm not that great at sewing piping onto cushions. My piping came out less than professional looking, so I was glad my piping was not a contrasting color.

I like your mock up...that is a good idea!
    Keep us posted when your project is done.

• alwaysadaylate
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Laurie_2008. I am so glad you pointed that out!!!you are absolutely right. my first piping project should not be this one. It will just have to be "pipingless"- I didn't even think about the piping matching up on the 3 different seat cushions!! Thanks!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Pipe.

• theclose
    10 years ago

Ohhhh, I love the piping!! But I understand wanting it to look perfect. Know anyone that can help you?

• alwaysadaylate
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I might be able to find a recruit to help.....:)

I needed to order additional fabric from Joanne's. So, I have to wait 4 - 6 weeks before the fabric is in to start this project.

Hopefully the fabric will come in earlier but not too early..I need some practice time. :)

Thanks so much for all the responses...It really helped. I will post a pic as soon as it is done!!

• mitchdesj
    10 years ago

I agree with Lsurie, piping should look perfect or else you might as well omit it.
    a seamstress once explained to me how piping is done, she had a special attachment on her machine, and it's done on the bias then the finished lengths are assembled as needed, then sewed to the cushions.
    I was then working in a fabric shop and I wanted to be able to justify the extra cost in labor and fabric to clients who questioned it.

I think your cushions will look great even without the piping, a relaxed look is very suited for your application.

Sponsored
Old Dominion Kitchen Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
Loudoun County's Kitchen & Bath Design Experts | Best of Houzz 3x