Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cloudy_christine

Framed toile in 'Perfect English Cottages'

cloudy_christine
11 years ago

I'm hoping that someone, maybe my3dogs, will recognize it.

This photo is in the book "Perfect English Cottages" on pages 21 and 38. There's a bit of framed toile on the wall. I can't find a bigger image on the web. I hope you can see the birds.

Comments (16)

• cloudy_christine
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Okay, I made the image bigger.

• schoolhouse_gw
    11 years ago

Sorry can't help, but I'd love to have that book. Found it on Amazon UK only? :(

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

It reminds me of a Robert Allen Dwell studio fabric ive seen in other colorways. Not quite as delicate as toile

Here is a link that might be useful: i know this comes in other colorways

• SunnyCottage
    11 years ago

I bought this book on Amazon and absolutely love it. I'm showing that it's still available from Amazon US ... see link below. It can also be found on eBay with free shipping.

Here is a link that might be useful: Amazon link

• SunnyCottage
    11 years ago

And going a bit OT here, but I also recently bought this book, which is equally charming. I just can't get enough of those English cottages!

Here is a link that might be useful: The English Country Cottage

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    11 years ago

I'm flattered that you thought I might recognize it. :-) Sadly, I don't.

First, are you looking for yardage, or do you want to frame a piece of toile? I ask because I have this scrap from a chair I had re-upholstered a while ago. It is Covington 5th Avenue 'Les Chinois'. It's approximately 20" wide by 10" top to bottom. The birds are approx. 6.5" from top of head to tip of tail.

If you wanted to frame a piece of toile on linen, you are welcome to this scrap.

• cloudy_christine
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My3dogs, thank you for your lovely offer. The fabric is beautiful but I'd better decline. I was just drawn to that particular one in the photo. I find myself collecting bits of fabric from Ebay, but unlike you, I do not sew! It's ridiculous. Lots of pillows exist only in my imagination.
    I jumped when I saw that Katmandu fabric you used recently! It was on my search list for years, but in a colorway I can't find on the web anymore, even as a discontinued one. It was a reverse toile with the birds on an indigo blue background.
    I love your use of lots of pattern in your house. I can never give up the chance to use it. This is on my sofa, believe it or not:

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    11 years ago

Now I AM familiar wit that one and I LOVE it! I saw it locally a few years ago, and I was drawn to it and had to just touch that BEAUTIFUL peacock toile. Those are 'my' colors all the way, and I think it's GREAT that you have it on your sofa!

I was SO lucky to get that Katmandu fabric. I see it available, but not in the colorway you want at insidefabric.com.

Would you consider framing some of your fabrics as shown in your example? I think they'd be beautiful. And I KNOW you could make a pillow!

And you can get the reverse of the colorway you want in wallpaper - link below. Just open your wallet wide.

Here is a link that might be useful: Katmandu Navy by F Schumacher

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

....of course the image doesn't look to me to be a framed toile at all....not that framing toile isn't lovely....

• cloudy_christine
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I thought it must be either fabric or wallpaper. The design looks to me like a section of a extended pattern. And the single-color design on one other color is classic toile.
    Someone could have painted in that style, of course.
    I wish the image were bigger so we could all see it better.
    What do you think it is, Annie?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

I think it might be framed floral fabric as it seems to match (or be very close to) the colors and pattern on the large pillow that's leaning up against the headboard.

• schoolhouse_gw
    11 years ago

SunnyCottage - both Amazon pages bookmarked! Thank you so much.

• rafor
    11 years ago

I think the OP's toile is from Ballard. I saw something very similar on another blog.

• rafor
    11 years ago

Is this it?

Scroll down a little to see her new fabric choice. First few photos are her old valance.

Here is a link that might be useful: red bird toile

• cloudy_christine
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I don't think so, Rafor. The birds in that one are flying, and they are perched on branches in the one in my picture.
    I think it's most likely an English fabric, because it's in a cottage in England. Of course it may be an antique scrap and unobtainable anyway.

• lazydaisynot
    11 years ago

I really can't see the framed print on my monitor but was intrigued and found this (unlikely, and sold-out as well) possibility.

Here is a link that might be useful: red bird toile