Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Awful backsplash

Posted by ardenspark (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 29, 14 at 14:09

I love glass tile and was dying to add some to my new house. Granite was existing. I chose something that I would though would match the counter (black, white, cream, tan) but is too busy. Decision has been made to remove and start over.

Leaning towards either white or light tan tile. Should it also be larger than the original glass tile? Thoughts? I can't afford another mistake.

Also any tips on how to remove without much damage?

Thanks,
Arden

This post was edited by ardenspark on Fri, Aug 29, 14 at 15:30

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Awful backsplash

This is what I'd put back there.

o

Much larger tile either white or off white

o

I would use the lighter color glass tile for the backsplash--- all one color. You'll get the texture and look you want without all the visual noise.

While I love subway tile, Tib, in dark colors it doesn't always work---too institutional looking, like a school bathroom :-(

o

We see this "mistake" on GW all the time. I put mistake is quotes because sometimes people post and are actually happy with their busy backsplash. And, who are we to disagree?

When you have more than one busy element, your eye doesn't have a place to rest. This is why you are unhappy. I have to say though that the colors are spot on!

I would choose the lightest cream color in the granite. I know you like glass, but I am not sure the whites in glass will be what you are looking for. You can get samples and see. A ceramic tile will work too.

This post was edited by ellendi on Fri, Aug 29, 14 at 15:46

o

I'd go with larger tiles to have the focus on your counters. Depending on your cabinets and whether they read more contemporary or traditional, I'd consider even larger tile than subway, such as planks.

o

You're absolutely right ellendi and I was just coming on to state that. It's not the backsplash that is awful...it's actually really pretty but it is too busy for me with the counter top. And yes, theoretically the colors all match.

The pic doesn't show the cabinets but they are light with a bit of a peach tone.

Thanks for the all good ideas.

o

I'm not sure if it's possible, but before removing it, I would try removing the stone portion and doing the smaller tile all the way to the counter. I think that's what's throwing it off more than (or as much as) the busyness of the small tile.

Whatever you do, I would really consider taking off that piece that matches the countertop and tile all the way down.

This:

vs. this:

o

I think I would consider a back-painted glass backsplash. You would have the sparkle of glass, could have any color you like and the absence of grout lines would help tone down the busy look of the granite.

o

Ardenspark,
Good for you for taking your lumps and starting over. I love Fun2BeHere's idea.

o

What color are your cabs? If they are white then a cream tile might look "dirty" next to them. If they are dark...I don't think you want a dark BS like Tib recommended...it will be one giant black hole.

I would go with a large, plain tile (glass or other)...either a light cream/white if you have dark cabs...or maybe that tan/bronze color from the granite....make sure the grout color is as close to the tile color as well...that will make it appear less busy.

o

Ardenspark, I made the same mistake. While the colors were a good match, the glass mosaics I chose were way too busy. I replaced it with a simple cream colored porcelain tile and couldn't be happier. And, as joanieponie suggests, I used a closely-matching grout. Now I can enjoy my granite without the awful competing backsplash. I tore out the "mistake" myself. I was careful (used a wide putty knife and a hammer to tap it behind the tiles), but it was still quite a mess and caused some damage to the drywall below, but it was easy enough to patch. And worth the trouble.

I don't think the size of the tile you choose is too important, but I would definitely go with something larger than mosaics.

o

Off topic: Nice seeing you jellytoast! It's been a while since I have seen a post by you.

I, too had to remove a backsplash right after installation. My white subway tiles created a gray cast when they were installed. Sometimes you just have to see the whole thing up, and then have the guts to remove it and start over.

o

I just went through this too, with 30 sq.ft of Oceanside Glass tile on the ceiling of my master bath shower. The colors were a perfect match, but just too much pattern. Some of these "issues" aren't obvious until you have all the tile up ... the small samples I stared at for months looked good! Had it ripped out the next day and ordered new tile.

o

Your granite has the personality. For bs, I would install a cream subway.

o

I agree with fun2bhere, the solid slab of glass would be non competitive with the beautiful granite. The back paint color should match the lighter shades of the granite. And you can easily change the color of the back paint, well easier than ripping out tile.

o

"Off topic: Nice seeing you jellytoast! It's been a while since I have seen a post by you."

I've been here ... mostly in kitchens and remodeling! :-)

It's so nice to hear that others have been faced with the "so awful it needs to go" tile problem. When you are ripping out a bunch of expensive mosaic tile, it feels a little crazy, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

o

Thanks everyone! I appreciate those that said they've ripped out mistakes too.

I found an option (pic attached). Any thoughts? It is glass tile with painted back. It matches one of the light browns in the granite.

o

To me, it is 1) still too dark (in an area that will feel dark anyway as it is recessed and 2) is too shiny and modern for the organic swirliness of the granite.

I'd like the richness and warmth of a ceramic.

o

I tend to agree with mtnrdredux ... my vote is for a porcelain or ceramic.

Can we see a pic of the cabinets against the granite?

o

They're doing floors this week so I can't access kitchen. Here is a pic of the cabinets from the listing (previous owner). Wall color is now Perfect Greige which helps tone down the peachiness of the cabinet. I kept everything existing except the mirror backsplash.

o

I don't know... about the tan with peachy cabs. Maybe BS with just the slightest tinge of grey?

I wouldn't go with small tiles tho - too much grout and it makes the BS busier.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here