Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldbat2be

Built-Ins with Dimensions

oldbat2be
9 years ago

I'm getting closer to ordering and would appreciate any feeedback on the below dimensions. I've decided I prefer a flush, single depth unit.

These will be 18" deep.

Upper three shelves are for books. Contents for large middle 24" shelf is for various things. Plants/flowers in vases/large framed photo, etc.

Visually, how do the stiles, rails and overall dimensions look? Goal is a clean look.

Thanks!

This post was edited by oldbat2be on Mon, Aug 18, 14 at 14:36

Comments (14)

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

What sort of window treatment will you be using?

Make the shelves adjustable so you can change the heights as needed. Generally, I like bookshelves that will hold things other than books to mix books with blank space and other objects rather than having all the books on shelves by themselves and a decor item on a different shelf by itself, but your vision may look different from mine. If your shelves are adjustable, you'll have much more versatility.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I prefer to intermix my stuff with books so the large space wouldn't work for me. Otherwise, it looks nice. Also, check the size of your books...some of mine are taller than 12".

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you both for the feedback. I know it probably seems silly to be obsessing as much as I am about these built-ins, but I just really want to get this right, the first time.

Fun2BHere - no window treatments; we have a 100 acre wood in the back so lots of privacy. I take your point about mixing books and other items.

Annie - If I removed the upper rail, then the 'large space' could come or go. There's something I like about the clean rails though. Here's a bookcase from Houzz I like (again, the clean lines but again, the lack of flexibility).

[Transitional Entry[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/transitional-entryway-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_741~s_2112) by San Francisco Interior Designers & Decorators Candace Barnes

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

Very nice inspiration picture and illustrative of my comment about mixing decorative objects to break up the line of books. You can still have almost the same look with adjustable shelves by adding molding to the front edge of the shelves. You need a little extra depth on the casing to accomodate the molding. Here are some pictures to illustrate what I mean.
    {{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

OOh, that is going to look super.

I have a pet peeve about adjustable shelves, unless there is someway to do them without having those lines of holes, which I find unsightly. For our kitchen cabs, and then for shelves I just did in out mini-MBR-vestibule at the beachhouse, I decided what I wanted to put in the shelves in advance and committed to the spacing.

Did you have a reason you wanted them 18" deep? I think you could go shallower. It might feel lighter that way.

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Fun2BeHere - loved the idea of adding molding to the front of the shelves.

mtnrdredux - I've been wondering the same thing about the depth. The sofa which will be between them is 36" and currently I have a chair (to be reupholstered) on the left side and a few things on the right.

I'd love to store the cable box and DS's xbox in one of the lower cabinets (but wonder how the remotes would work).

That's my primary reason for going deeper. I may drop to 15 or 12".

Please ignore the messy phlox. Redoing these beds for late summer is another project.

The red line shows where the built-ins would begin.

• MarinaGal
    9 years ago

I like what you have drawn, but would you consider making the cabinet part of each unit deeper at 18" and stepping back the upper shelving depth to 12" or so? That might create a less boxy look - and a little more breathing room around the sofa. PS love the glimpses of your beautiful property out the window!

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    9 years ago

Where would a lamp for reading go? Would you use a floor lamp in front of the shelving units? It's hard to tell in the angled shots, but does the sofa fill the area in front of the window, leaving any room for a lamp? I'm guessing you have this planned out as your design is so complete!

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    9 years ago

MarinaGal - thanks for weighing in. On an earlier thread, several others have suggested the same.

Here's how that would look.

My quandry is the overhead lighting. My gut feel is that the single depth units are 'cleaner' looking. I'm trying for a little sleight of hand here - widen room and minimize height.

I fear I have too much going on already. Goal is for the built-ins to blend in, no starring role, definitely not another clown!

That said, I'm definitely listening!

mtnrdredux - I forgot to add that I take your point about the adjustable shelving (and think I will go this route). In the picture, you can see the unit on the right has 2" rails separating the shelving. Upper shelf heights, from top, are: 12, 12, 14, 18, which I think looks good.

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    9 years ago

my3dogs - There will be 4" on each side of the sofa, before the built-ins start. A lamp in front of the built-ins is definitely an option - again, there are a good 18 inches left - as are sconces/lamps mounted on the sides of the built-ins (like Annie-Deighnaugh's). Thanks!

• MarinaGal
    9 years ago

Okay, I just found the earlier thread which I had missed. I have to say I prefer what you have drawn above with the shallower upper bookshelves. My sense is that they would make the room feel bigger and the sofa less crowded, but since I am not in your actual room my comments are only from a distant view. If you are concerned about the bookshelves taking on too much of a starring role, I would also consider changing the upper molding of your window, if possible, and the upper molding of the shelves to a more simple profile, since together they seems to create a strong vertical line.

I think these are going to be a really good addition to the room no matter which way you go, and I love the idea of sconces for lighting!

• Gooster
    9 years ago

I think it is all going to look great!

I think I like the version with the uneven heights, with the bookcases ended below the top line of the window. This would keep the emphasis on the center window and the half-round at the top. I also like it when the base portion is slightly (say an inch or two) deeper and wider than the upper unit. It breaks up the visual weight and helps ground the built-ins.

• christine40
    9 years ago

oldbat-with regards to storing cable box and xbox in your beautiful built ins---it is possible with some type of RF signal repeater...we did something similar with ours a few years ago-can't remember exactly what we bought, but it involves an "eye" on top of the TV and some wires running through the wall/under the floor to the components in the bookcase-you point the remote at the TV and the signal bounces to the components wherever they are! worth investigating!

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    9 years ago

MarinaGal - For some reason, I am disliking the shallower upper bookshelves. Remember, however, that this is a design I've put together myself, so I may well be missing something.

I've thought very much about changing the upper molding, but this is a molding repeated on three doorways in the room, so it may need to stay. That said, we have the same window/molding in the kitchen/breakfast nook, and I love how it looks running from wall to wall.

Gooster - I like your idea of the base being just slightly deeper and wider. Thank you!

christine40 - Thank you for the RF Signal repeater idea. I would like to clean up the wires very much. Will research.