Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will you share a picture of your home?

Posted by natesgram (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 22, 13 at 13:59

I'm thoroughly enjoying the previous thread of "how long have you lived in your home" and loved seeing my3dogs house. Here is a picture of the tract home we are about to move into (minus the tree decor above the garage). Single level, 3bed/2bath, 1700 s.f. Care to share yours?
 photo test.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will you share a picture of your home?

It's hard to get a good shot of mine, so I'll offer a few. The first two are the approach up the drive, and a closer view of the front by the carport. The second is from the side yard. Sorry they're holiday pics, that's all I've got at hand. 2,000 sq. ft MCM, 4/1.5, built in 1978 from 1960s Better Homes & Gardens plans. Birmingham, Alabama area.

view from drive photo 000_1024.jpg

2008 Tree photo 000_1025.jpg

photo 000_1098.jpg

This post was edited by jakabedy on Thu, Aug 22, 13 at 15:38

o

Jakabedy -- I just love your home! That glass wall of windows is stunning

o

Love your houses.....Natesgram...is yours in California....looks similar to the ones I grew up with. Jak---love this style so much...love contemporary.

How about if we also say where...no...not address (lol)...but at least state?

I will take a pick of mine when I get home and post...

o

Oh nice topic! this is mine - must be spring (no leaves!). I think this is the realtor picture from when we bought the house....

We are *still* working on the front landscaping. I stink at figuring that out. :)

o

Very cool houses!

We are in Massachusetts, about 15-20 minutes outside Boston. This is the listing photo of ours...

photo House.jpg

When do you move in natesgram?

This post was edited by danielleg on Thu, Aug 22, 13 at 23:27

o

Natesgram best wishes in our new home! Love those deep overhangs. Jakabedy I've always loved your home and your kitchen is one of my faves. Boop I bet with the trees filled in you have a gorgeous backdrop!

Here's mine, a 1936 center entrance colonial, northern Chicago burb. It's been through a few incarnations - we've been here since 1990, started with a 3/1.5, added onto the back and made a 4/2.5 with a great room-family room-kitchen thing.

o

Ours in quite modest compared to others, but we love it. We call it our cabin in the woods. It actually has 5200 sq ft, but seems so cozy for us two old folks.

Jakabedy, love your home, and the setting is perfect!

photo 7dd2c239-2dc7-4b75-a2fe-25cea2018fde_zpsb29692f9.jpg
 photo f40e6e4f-8584-4eb7-a3b3-f1fa346bec09_zpsa0ba437c.jpg

o

Northern California MCM

I'll try to take some pictures of the front of ours to post later. It'll be hard because our front yard has so many trees and bushes that you almost don't see the house except for the garage.

The front walkway winds through the plantings to get to the courtyard gate. Then one goes past the koi pond to get to the front door:
 photo IMG_1098_zpsba5efef7.jpg

photo IMG_1102_zps652e9ab1.jpg

Even the back is kind of hard to see. The living room windows are behind the lemon and lime trees in this picture. My husband has pruned the trees back a bit but I don't have a newer picture right now:
 photo IMG_0829.jpg

It's a sprawling one story that hides its size because one never sees all of it at the same time. There is another house a few doors down that is more deceptive in its street view. It looks like it is one story with a high roof from the street. There is a door in the kitchen that opens to reveal a stairway to an upstairs hall with closets on the street side of the hall and rooms on the other side of the hall. From the front and even from the inside if you don't open the stair door and don't go into the back yard you wouldn't know that there was a 2nd floor.

o

Two favorite photos of my house (used to be a one-room school).

photo fieldmyhouse.jpg

photo scan0001.jpg

o

Such lovely homes! I am partial to older homes so I have a bias (and Schoolhouse, that second photo is so lovely, Id hang it on my wall!).

Jakabedy, very cool house! I think MCM feels odd in CT, but in CA its perfect.

o

Beautiful homes, nice because they are all so different.

Joanie, good guess. It's in S. California. Our movers are scheduled the first week next month so we're getting excited.

o

schoolhouse, I'm soooo jealous. It has always been my dream to live in a converted house.

Here is my zero lot line home. Hoping to redo the exterior to make it a modern style.

Forget to say I'm in Texas.

This post was edited by finallyhome on Thu, Aug 22, 13 at 18:09

o

1890 Victorian Bungalow in East AL. We renovated the attic to add sq ft in 2002. House was 2700 sq ft downstairs with 2 master suites and 2 1/2 baths. We added 1300 sq ft in the attic conversion ....2 bedrooms and 1 full bath. It still feels cozy to us and we use all of it. Have lots of folks that come to visit. Family and friends both. Love the Spring here ...

photo IMG_6116_zps92e782da.jpg

Love the pool...behind the wall you see on the right side of house. Most folks have no idea we have a pool..our secret garden :)

walled pool garden photo IMG_4939.jpg

And DH has his little play house out back ...he keeps it as his music studio...we moved it over in the garden and raised it and added the porch when we did the kitchen 7 yrs ago. He loves to sit out there and think. c

back cottage garden/arbor to secret garden photo IMG_4944.jpg

photo IMG_6227_zps0c3c8c3e.jpg

LOVE seeing all the homes...these are one of my favorite threads. c

o

Pretty houses.
It would be interesting to know if the pics change your mental image of the poster. I don't post often enough to have a mental image, but I really like the homes posted so far.

Retirement home version 1.0. (DH is retired and I'm still working, at home, upstairs part time). Before we bought and after.

I've been meaning to post a picture and thank the board members for helping me choose the replacement sconces at the front door. The new ones are a lot larger overall, but they're mostly seeded glass. I like them a lot. I take all the credit/blame for the color scheme myself.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Northern Indiana - future home of the farthest-out Chicago suburb. :)

This post was edited by jamies on Thu, Aug 22, 13 at 18:19

o

Natesgram....I grew up in Long Beach...very nostalgic for it the older I get!

o

Our humble abode after a rare Christmas snow in the Carolinas.

Rare Christmas Snow 2010 photo exterior_home_snow.jpg

o

Front and back yard view in sunny FLA.

o

Love your homes. Especially the MCM one, some of those yards have me drooling.

This is the only front pic of my house I have.

o

Love your homes. Especially the MCM one, some of those yards have me drooling.

This is the only front pic of my house I have.

o

When we bought it

015 (2)

What it looks like this summer

And what it will hopefully look like if/when we do the addition

outside view

o

Front of house

photo reding_exterior5_zpsa0873dea.jpg

Taken closer to house:

photo 165_zpse81e62df.jpg

Back of house:

photo 164_zpsf293a4aa.jpg

We are in Seattle.

o

MrsMM - love seeing the exterior, what amazing progress you've made. And as to raising the roof (we're going through this right now), as my architect said, easy-peasy :) (And as everyone else has pointed out, easy for him to say....).

We're north of Boston, in MA. Love seeing the pictures! I started looking for pictures of our house... such a pleasant trip down memory lane. Here's our house in the snow, back in 2005.

Then, typical Spring picture in 2006 (obviously before the deer got to the tulips)....

We started remodeling in 2010... here is new front of the house:

And just this month, we've continued with the back of the house (family room, raising ceiling, new picture window). Drywallers come tomorrow, yay:). Please ignore dreadful looking lawn; dead crabgrass (double yay, but look for that in the lawn forum...).

o

oldbat2be-we'll be doing this ourselves. Right now, we only have one giant bedroom upstairs and one giant landing, then a tiny 4 ft door out of the bedroom that leads to an attic room with a 7 ft ceiling in the center 4 ft that tapers down to 3 ft on either side. The upstairs bedroom and landing have a little more height, but not much wall space and very little room for windows. Ideally, we would about double our sq. ft. with the addition, but trying to save up enough to do it, while fixing everything that needs to be fixed to hold the added weight is proving difficult. Dh thinks he could get the shell done in a very short time, but I've heard that before lol!

o

It's so great to see the outside of so many homes from across the country. It's great to see the diversity.

Here's mine (a bit more common), built in 1937, with a complete relandscaping and front courtyard added in late 2011.

photo P72701481280x960-Copy_zpsf3aa5f1f.jpg

o

Ours is a little hard to photograph:

And from a distance:

And from the side:

This post was edited by beaglesdoitbetter on Fri, Aug 23, 13 at 0:00

o

VERY fun thread....armchair travel. :)

photo house.jpg

photo outside.jpg

Here's our MA home, but I recently painted the front door coral and I like it much better:
 photo newdoor3.jpg

o

Love this thread! So inspirational in so many ways! Just gorgeous and seeing our GW Members homes really gives me a fix of "I wonder what he/she looks like, is like etc....."

The exteriors of your homes are of great interest to me as we began a major porch rebuild this week.

5yrs ago we had just begun minor cosmetic work on our home:
 photo FrontOfHouse1Dec.04.jpg

And then our home was hit by a car and stayed in this condition for 5yrs while people fought over it and then the recession hit.
 photo 1098526_581176161928842_1904729255_n_zps4d8a5e7a.jpg
 photo SideBed.jpg

Can't wait to post 'After' pictures in 6wks or so!

o

Here's the before:

o
And the after...

The after...

o

I want to move to Seattle and move into lovestowalk's house. So charming!!

I don't have a pic of our "real" house but here's a pic of our summer place (which we try to visit year round) in RI. Funny how it would never occur to me to take a picture of our full time house, but we're always taking pics of our part time house! Maybe because we basically re-built it 3 years ago. It was a very small Cape style house with a second floor that had been cheaply added on years ago, and the upstairs bedrooms were incredibly claustrophobic and ugly. We bought the house for its location on a double corner lot overlooking the water. From the second floor now, we can see the ocean from all four bedrooms.

Our regular house is a very typical medium-sized Boston area center entrance colonial. Brick on the bottom, shingles on top. It's far more boring than the house I'd fantasized about spending most of my life in! But we love our neighborhood.

o

This is fun! We are prepping to paint so the shutters are missing.

o

Here is our house. We're about 30 minutes outside of NYC. This is the listing photo from 3 years ago. We are finally getting around to attacking the landscaping this year.

o

I love this thread! Seeing all the different styles of houses is just so interesting. Some of these make me want to rethink the decision to downsize. I'll post one to represent the modest. We moved into our 1920 colonial in March from a 1990 typical suburban home. There is an addition on the back, so it is about 2100 square feet, 3 beds 2 1/2 baths and is the perfect size for just the two of us (despite what I said earlier). This is before we moved in. It is still desperately in need of landscaping and grass.

o

As usual I am floored by the breadth of style and individuality of our homes. There is, literally, everything here, from East to West, North to South, all types of architecture and building materials and all wonderful! We are in rural Georgia.

This was taken last December, after the new roof:

Long drive over a bridge to get to house:

Spring!

Backyard:

This post was edited by kswl on Fri, Aug 23, 13 at 9:14

o

Last Fall. I loved the way the sun was hitting the house that morning.

o

Lol at myself: I must spend too much time on Pinterest because my first inclination when I saw your homes was to hit 'Like' after each picture.

o

So many pretty homes!

oldbat2be - I love your house now, but really loved the before! It reminds me of my grandparents step-down house in Connecticut. They had a drive like KSWL and large boulders were spread out on the property, along with the classic stone walls along the perimeter. Such good memories of visiting them. :)

I am waiting for my driveway to be sealed before taking a photo of my house. We have the before and after. My potted plants and so forth are spread to kingdom come. The driveway man cleaned it and then it's been a week and he has yet to come seal.

o

Here is a picture of our home. This was taken on closing day 4 months ago. It's our first and we love it! Homeownership hasn't been without trials but hopefully it will be worth it! We are 30 min outside NYC.

photo P4032660.jpg

o

My apologies to the vets here who are sick of seeing my home. We live in southern New England.

Day....

Night...

Rear day:

Rear at dusk:

And our walkway to our back patio, just because I like how it came out.

o

kswl, I'm delighted to see your home. So many times, I drive by a long driveway and always wonder what's at the end of it...that's one less driveway I have to wonder about!
:)

o

I am trying to embed a picture for the first time...I think it worked....yipee!

My humble abode....a 1984 tract colonial in the Maryland suburbs of DC. Have been here 29 years...and have struggled that long to like this house but am beginning to appreciate the galley kitchen, separate spaces and the fact that it is not huge--all banes of my existence for years. It's where we raised the kids, so sentimental for us in that regard and hopefully for the kids too. All woods in the back. We will definitely retire and move away within 5 years or so.

photo 30583609-cdc5-42bc-942f-42f814109ad7_zps0d4fecaa.jpg

o

FiveFootZero- Wow the before and after of that wrap around porch is awesome.

o

Ours is a 1955 ranch with a walkout basement. Very typical in Atlanta. The previous owners enclosed the carport, and while I love the extra space, I really don't like the competing doors. The main level has 2500 square feet with 3BR and 2 BA. (We added a master suite a couple of years ago.) The lower level/basement/terrace level is 1900 square feet (900 of that is finished and 1000 is unfinished storage/workshop space.) and has a 4th BR and BA.

photo Housewithnewpaint.jpg

o

FiveFootZero- Wow the before and after of that wrap around porch is awesome.

o

This morning I was able to take some shots of the exterior.

Entering the front walk -
 photo IMG_1203_zps0d2c6103.jpg

Two boulders guard the entry path:
 photo IMG_1201_zps01667404.jpg

In the courtyard - you can see through the house to the backyard:
 photo IMG_1207_zps67ac8cc0.jpg

The picture of the back isn't very good. At this time of year the shade makes the house cooler but difficult to photograph. When the umbrellas come down for fall and some of the trees lose their leaves, I could get a better picture:
 photo IMG_1211_zps4bb4aea2.jpg

o

Cloud-swift....love your house...so calm and soothing.

Porkandham....I know you didnt ask but since you mentioned it bugs you....if you paint that car port door and trim the same color as the brick it would be less noticeable. You could also paint your front door red, yellow, etc...and that would draw the eye over there and away from the car port entrance.

Am loving seeing everyone's homes---so much style and character!

o

Gosh don't even know where to start. All of your homes are so cool. They're all so different and all with their own unique charms ( probably foibles as well!).

Beagles and kswl (and maybe Annie - not sure) I really like your more rural settings. Just so peaceful looking.

Beekeeperswife - so nice to see the outside of your house. i know what your kitchen looks like!

Lovestowalk - I've been to Seattle a few times (I'm in Vancouver, B.C.) and as soon as I saw your house I thought - that looks like Seattle. Such a pretty house with the rock wall.

fivefootzero and sueb20 and everyone else with porches and verandas - I envy you.

schoolhouse- very cool to live in a house with some history to it.

jakabedy - I love MCM construction. The clean lines of the construction and large windows just speak to me. I live in a 1972 post-and-beam which I like to think is a cousin of the MCM construction. Same idea of construction - very strong linear look with lots of windows.

Thefoxespad - Hit by a car?! That's just bad luck. Looking forward to seeing finished pics.

I love looking at all the colonial homes as we don't have that design where I live. All of your homes are so pretty, regardless of the setting or style of construction.

Interesting that with all the different homes that we live in we all wind up here needing decorating help of some sort and at some time.

o

joaniepoanie - The plan is to add a carport or garage to the front of the house which will take care of the second door. We just haven't gotten there yet!

o

Porkandham....a carport or garage in front will look really nice...I can't wait for one-level living...I love that style of house, similar to what I grew up in.

Beverly27----palm trees!---sigh.

o

Loves to Walk...what part of Seattle are you in??

o

Utterly gorgeous homes, so many locations, so many styles of living, so much work you all have put into them!
I want to steal so many ideas you all have had and put into execution here. I have lived here about 8 weeks now, spouse has been here since March. We are planning and plotting. We have had a fence put around our back yard and are putting a door into the breezeway which will open up a tiny patio area between the house and the garage. That will be it for this year. The door has been ordered and we are lining up the contractors even as I type this. I will work on decorating inside this winter, and landscaping in the spring.
This house is small, around 1000 feet and typical of the small houses around here built just after WWII. There must be at least 500 variations on this theme here in this small town. But this one is ours! I love living less than 2 blocks from Lake Huron. This picture was given to us by the previous owners, it is a listing photo from May of 2012.

o

We are in Greenlake. We just moved here from Oklahoma in December 2012. We totally renovated the house which was built in 1927. We moved to Seattle to be closer to kids and grandkids and absolutely love this neighborhood. We are very close to Zoka, Mighty-O Donuts, etc.

Also, thanks so much to Sueb20 and blfenton for the nice comments.

This post was edited by lovestowalk on Fri, Aug 23, 13 at 16:35

o

Beautiful homes all! How about one from NE Kansas? See, Kansas is not flat! We built our home 19 years ago, still love it! The meadow in front is native, it has never been plowed. The wildflowers change weekly, an impressive show by Mother Nature!
Spring -
 photo 030.jpg
Spring -
 photo 033.jpg
Summer -
 photo 016.jpg
View from front porch -
 photo 021.jpg
Thanks for enjoying Kansas with me!

o

All of these homes are so beautiful! It makes me miss having trees in the yard. Here is our home in the Denver metro area.

o

Loves to walk....you are in the right spot if you love to walk! Greenlake area is very beautiful & fun. We are on Queen Anne, but lived east of Greenlake for about 30 plus years before moving over to Queen Anne. Can you believe the summer we've been having? I will try to post our house....

o

Such pretty homes. I love putting houses with names.

We're in central Alabama and live on acreage. It's a gated community and everyone has 3 acres or more. We have almost 5. We've built/moved in 8 years ago next month. Doesn't seem that long! I love so much about our house, but one thing is that you can't see it all when standing anywhere. People are always surprised when they come inside, or see the back. The lower level is open on three side and has the best views of the water.

Doggie corral in the front. Guest driveway and parking.

Stone carriage house garage.

Front veranda

Many that see this picture think all the arches are more garage doors. But that's the lower veranda. Upper back veranda above the arches. Part of it is screened. The large, dark squares on the right bottom and top are large windows. Taken right after we moved in and the silt fence was still up.

Our house is in the woods, on the left. This was taken from other side of dam at my parent's lakehouse.

DD2 took this one from the dam the first of April. Our house looks down the lake and has water on three sides. I love it here!

o

This is an old pic of when we moved here 10 years ago...can't believe it's been that long already! I am in eastern CT, on almost 3 acres, surrounded by woods, and the state forest is just up the road from me.

o

Don't know how to post multiple pics in one post, this is the driveway leading to my house.

o

This is lots of fun. Lovely homes.

o

I think I want to move :)

o

A new house we just purchased in Arizona.

o

Sandy1963 I can feel my heart rate slowing and tension leaving my shoulders just imagining that as the approach to my home. You must LOVE going home.

o

I hope this shows up...been a while since I posted a photo here. Plus I had to go steal this one from my website.

I live near Fort Worth, Texas...our land used to be cattle pasture...dh and I have planted every stick and blade you see in this photo. Taken on ds's wedding day four years ago...they got married in our backyard...very fun and pretty.

Edited to add. 2400 sq. ft. including a bonus room over the garage...weird space that needs to be overhauled.

This post was edited by happyintexas on Sun, Aug 25, 13 at 15:22

o

All wonderful homes and so many areas of the country are represented.

We are in the greater San Diego area in Southern California. We built in 2006-2007, been in 6 years this summer. These first two pictures were professionally taken for a fund raising tour the house was on 3 years ago. I had forgotten that I changed the cushions and umbrellas after the promo photos were taken and before the event..... The house is more the color in the picture of the back.....but they sure got that sunny California thing goin' on in the photo of the front.

photo P_castles-carlsbad_008_zps223e318a.jpg

photo P_castles-carlsbad_005_zps5a21fa2a.jpg

photo backyard002_zps553759aa.jpg

photo backyard008_zpsd51c7707.jpg

o

So many beautiful houses. I'm a bit envious of the dramatic presence that a two story can have compared to our low one story.

I've never lived in a two story house (not counting apartments because the building was multistory but the apartment was one level). Ranches were the dominant house type in the LA suburbs when I grew up.

Allison, that stone patio looks like a wonderful spot to sit and enjoy the view.

o

Here's mine from a couple of years ago. We didn't get to much gardening this year...weeds galore! But I loved how it looked this year.

Untitled

Side
Untitled

We've been here for 23 years. DH cut down every tree, we built the house and slowly finished rooms as best we could. We've done a few upgrades here and there, but not as many as we'd like. DH would like to downsize, and maybe once the kids are out of college and settled we will. But then Grandchildren would love the yard and the pool. It's an awful lot to take care of though, we have two acres.

Beth P.

o

This has been so enjoyable! I love seeing everyone's homes. :)

Ours is 10 yrs old, on a very quiet cul-de-sac of 10 homes on 1/2 to 1 acre lots. We have a beautiful view of city lights at night. We aren't planning to stay here, I'll miss it, and my neighbors.

I did all the plantings, it was new and bare when we moved in.

o

We're just west of Fort Worth. 2,450 sq ft, one story (the dormers are in a large attic space. I keep electric candles lit in them all year.)

This post was edited by Miz_M on Tue, Aug 27, 13 at 11:25

o

Last one, white Christmas last year:

o

I've so enjoyed seeing everyone's homes. As a Realtor, I get to see the inside and outside of lots of homes...it just never gets old!

MizM I love the electric candles in your windows. Waving at you--I'm headed to west Fort Worth for an inspection for a client there. Is it just me or is it a more gentle paced life on the west side? Seems so to me.

Again, I love seeing the variety of styles in our homes. Fun. May everyone within them be blessed.

o

This thread has been like a vacation to me. I love seeing and hearing about each of your homes, all different. I just wish we were magically all close together. I'd love to visit with a cup of coffee.

o

Hi, HappyinTexas! I agree with you .... I grew up in Arlington, but also lived in both Dallas and Ft Worth ... and do like the pace better here. I also love the history and culture of Ft Worth.

Thank you, re: the candle lights! I put them up one Christmas, and loved the look so much, decided to leave them there. We have an outlet near them, and they look so cozy at night.

Hope your inspection goes well!

o

What a great thread this is! Such pretty homes and yards. Allison, I'd like to swap homes with you. Love, love, love your front veranda!

We live in the mountains of New Mexico, in the Santa Fe-Albuquerque area of the state. Ours is a small development outside a wonderful, very quaint, very old village. Each of our homes is on about 3 acres. Because of all the pinon pine and juniper trees, it's pretty much impossible to get a view of our entire house. It's a one story, all adobe home . . . and it's shaped kind of like a boomerang. Not on purpose, but our architect/builder did this to maximize the views . . . which I have to say are awesome every day of the year.

I just took this first pic a couple of minutes ago from the front edge of our property, but it really only shows the right side of our home. That's where the main living part of the house is. The left (unseen) side consists of 3 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, laundry room and garage
 photo OurHome_zpsd9c58722.jpg

This is the view you see as you come down the walk from the guest parking area up to our front portal (porch/veranda).
 photo 634_zps6e7439bc.jpg
I'm sure that everyone has see enough pics of our portal, which serves as our outdoor living and dining rooms from May thru mid-October. So here are two of the reasons we bought this land and built here. The views are wonderful from our front portal (and front of the house) :
Summer Rains photo 402473_3027971183108_1552053001_n_zpsc54ab8e3.jpg
. . . and from the back portal and back windows of our home:
 photo sunflowers_zpsbd1340cc.jpg

Lynn

o

The outside of my new house is unremarkable, because it was built when the neighborhood looked like this (my house is where the door is sliding off the rubble):
1961_looking_twrds_409-1 photo 1961_looking_twrds_409-1-1.jpg

But it has a nice city view from the hidden upper terrace:
 photo 5d95756d-2a0c-4055-b5fd-382790e9b4c9_zps1fb926f5.jpg

o

Our house in North Dakota - we've had a very dry summer, so the lawn is pitiful. But the Corgi is cute:
 photo IMG_0867_zps1fcba73c.jpg

But the Little Lamb hydrangeas beside the garage are doing well:
 photo IMG_0865_zps94fdd67c.jpg

o

This is a fun thread! I'm in a "village" in a section of our town that was a very prosperous mill town in the late 19th century. All around me are Victorian houses of every shape and size. Mine is a c. 1875 vernacular Gothic Revival workingman's cottage. It's a work in progress but at least I've removed the asbestos shingles and restored the original clapboards (and painted them Weston Flax).

o

This is why I love GW! I have a smile which reaches from ear to ear as I read through these.

sueb - simply dreadfully envious of your spectacular summer house!

egbar- your home is charming!

gooster - loved seeing your exterior, just a tad cranky that you're on the other side of the country....

beagles - your wonderful home/setting always reminds me of home (NC). How goes the remodeling in FL? I keep looking for updates :)

sandy1963, your driveway would make anyone smile!

allison0704 - I have always loved pictures of your kitchen. When I saw your exterior pix, first thought was: ok you win!

Then I saw lynneinnewmexicos (new winner, ding ding ding).

Being silly, it's so not a case of winning or losing, just lovely and satisfying to see a well loved home in a good location. Thanks all!

o

I think we are all listing junkies, no? I love the variety of houses here. From MCM to craftsman to horse properties and mediterranean. I also like seeing the homes of people I "know", from a different angle or a different view. Remember when they made fun of, was it McCain, for not knowing how many homes he had? If I had the beer fortune he has, I would buy homes every week. Any location, any style, any price point, I can find a home I love!

Most of you have seen my current home in CT before, but this is my favorite shot of it. It is take in our backyard from across our pond. In our backyard, you see nothing but green for 360 degrees, and have the illusion, as our landscaper once said, of owning 1,000 aces (instead of 9!).

DSC00434 photo DSC00434.jpg

I think I have also posted our lakehouse in NY state
 photo lakehouse.jpg

And I think I may have posted our old house, too, in Northern NJ. This was our first house; we were married on the verandah and brought home all three babies from the hospital to this house. We had just put in 63 architecturally correct windows in this 1902 home when we fell in love with our CT house on a whim back in 2009! I didn't think we would ever want to sell it --- just goes to show you, be careful when you peruse listings if you are prone to house love.

photo e1c5a235.jpg

Meanwhile, we have been bidding back and forth for about 5 days now on a beach house, and I am dying to post it but too superstitious! On pins and needles...

o

mtnrdredux - It would have been hard to leave that first house. I love it! Do you know if there were originally Palladium windows over the lower fronts?

o

Wow mtnrd...with homes like that, it's easy to fall in love!

We did a "peer through the window" at the little wreck of a home on the knoll and decided it was too much of a wreck to get to fix up, esp at that price, and esp since the knoll is all rock ledge so very little opportunity to even add a desperately needed garage. But it will make a sweet space for someone....

o

Newhomebuilder,

No, the windows would not have been Palladian, the stilted arches filled with brick above the lower windows is a typical Adam style detail.

Often, though, it was done on the second floor, because the houses were set up with a piano nobile, or bel etage--the main formal rooms up a level from the street. This is the Russell House in Charleston

o

Pal is correct, of course!

Newhome, We had a history done on our NJ house. It was built by the same firm that did Saks in NYC, among other notables. We were so excited when the historian found some blueprints in the UT Austin library. We got them, rolled them out , and, in nearly 100 years, nothing had changed! No additions, no walls taken down or put up. The only change was a hall bath that became a captive bath! For an older home, it had wonderful flow even 100 years later; a testament to the architect, IMHO.

Annie, aww, too bad, I would love to see you apply your skills once again.

o

Pal is correct, of course!

Newhome, We had a history done on our NJ house. It was built by the same firm that did Saks in NYC, among other notables. We were so excited when the historian found some blueprints in the UT Austin library. We got them, rolled them out , and, in nearly 100 years, nothing had changed! No additions, no walls taken down or put up. The only change was a hall bath that became a captive bath! For an older home, it had wonderful flow even 100 years later; a testament to the architect, IMHO.

Annie, aww, too bad, I would love to see you apply your skills once again.

o

Here is ours, in a rare snow last winter! It hasn't snowed much here lately, and dd is trying to cobble together a snowman! We are pitiful here in the south. :) Our house is a new (well, 2 years old now) custom build in a neighborhood of 1/2 to 1 AC lots.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

o

This is our 1912 Craftsman. Love this thread!

o

Here is our 1908 cottage in Old Town Longmont, Colorado. We downsized after the last kid moved out and love this house and the neighborhood. It has a two-story addition on the back which is really hard to see in this picture, so not as small as it appears from the front. Just the right size for us, with room to party with the whole family!
1908 cottage photo P5028685.jpg

Diane

o

View from the back of the house in the Shuswaps, British Columbia Canada. Lake water temp was warmer than the outside air hence the misting from the lake back in November 2011.

o

Here's a shot of the front of our home. We built this ourselves starting in 2007 & finished in 2009.

o

Thank you for the history lesson.

nini804 - Your house reminds me of this house that I have been bugging DH to buy. He says that he can't do steps much longer and there is no downstairs bedroom.

Here is a link that might be useful: White House

o

Our home. It was originally a school house, built in 1868. We love it. Don't have a more recent picture on this computer. At the time this was taken we were painting the porch floors, and I have signs hanging to say "Keep Off".
 photo small10-14-10042.jpg

o

This is a low resolution aerial photo of the back of the house taken for the RE brochure that was printed when we bought the house. The front of the house is somewhat hidden from the street by a privet hedge. The style is sort of typical Contemporary Californian no-style with hints of Mediterranean and Modernist.
 photo aerial_zps4a7a3694.jpg

o

Newhomebuilder...I love that house you posted! Such a lovely setting.

o

Such a variety here! Fun thread!

Our home sweet home in MA:
August 2013 photo IMG_0826_zps446ac65a.jpg

Our Cape Cod house:
Blue door photo 944683d9-a029-49bd-9f53-69008b7d1add_zps01c278f6.jpg

o

This is almost like 'meeting' all of you..so much fun to see where you live and the beautiful homes! We were building 17 years ago. Seems like just a few years ago. We have done most of the landscaping but I did hire some re-do last fall. Don't really have a great pic of the overall front because its hard to capture due to trees and I am not at home.

Can't upload but one at a time from my iPad.

o

Front porch.

o

Front porch.

o

I forgot to say, we're in the country outside of Huntsville, AL on 9 acres. About half wooded, but we had to cut a lot of old growth pines to build the house so we basically started with a lot of red dirt.

This is the back with a small fish pond.

o

Fun, is that like, an enormous skylight on the roof to the far right? Very intriguing!

MaryLu, so cool! can we see the inside? Was that windowed turret added?

o

Fun, is that like, an enormous skylight on the roof to the far right? Very intriguing!

o

o

So great seeing everyone's home ... here's my home in rural WNY, 30 minutes from Buffalo, NY.

o

My purple barn ....

o

And the view of the back pasture, from my deck behind the house ...

o

Pamghatten, the colors in your pictures are stunning!

Mtnrdredux, that is a skylight and I hate it. It's over the middle of the kitchen and adds about 100 degrees of heat to the room. I've been exploring options to add a motorized solar shade that would filter out some of the sunlight during the hottest parts of the day. I can't put in a reflective shade because the build-up of heat could blow out the glass. I love your new beach house, BTW...gorgeous!!!

o

mtnrdredux, yes we believe the bay window was added in the late 1800's when the school was converted to a private residence. We are in the process right now of restoring the windows in the bay as they are original to the house. I do not have any recent pictures of the inside of the house on this computer. Will look and see if I have any on Photobucket.

o

Pamghatten, love your purple quilt barn! I spent part of a vacation looking for and photographing Kentucky quilt barns a few years back. Love them. And your gardens too!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here