Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
randita_gw

Anyone have a formal piano room-pictures-ideas?

randita
15 years ago

Currently, I have my black grand piano (6'6" size) in our large living room which is painted a neutral beige, but in the new house we are building, the piano will have it's own room. I'd like the piano room to look dramatic. A grand piano is a beautiful piece of furniture as well as a great joy to use.

I was wondering about a red piano room (a raspberry or cranberry "cool" red rather than a warm brick red). Black always looks stunning in combo with red. Or a deep aqua blue.

The new piano room will have a tray ceiling (can't show pictures as house has not yet been started) and will be its own space not adjoining any other rooms. In addition to the piano, I may have a chair or loveseat and side table with lamp, but that's about it. There will be a ceiling fan.

Anybody have pictures of their piano room or have some decorating ideas?

Comments (12)

• chijim
    15 years ago

Not sure if this will help - but I had it in an inspirational file.

Jim

{{!gwi}}

• randita
    Original Author
    15 years ago

chijim - yes, that picture gives me some great ideas I'd like to incorporate. It's interesting that the walls are a deep gold (which I also love), but the accent color in the drapes and on the chairs is definitely the red I was thinking about for drama. I also have a mirror almost identical to the one pictured but I have it hung horizontally rather than vertically.

I like the plant by the window and the way the drapes are hung up toward the ceiling.

Good work coming up with that photo!

• juliem2360
    15 years ago

Most a lurker here but thought I would post these pics for you. My room isn't strictly a piano room as I have the library there also but it might give you an idea. Nothing I like more than reading while listening to my daughter play.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• randita
    Original Author
    15 years ago

juliem - what a pretty room. I love the built in bookcases and the fireplace. You've decorated it so nicely. I will save your pictures for inspiration. I will definitely want a rug like yours as my new piano room is not that large and I will want the rug to soak up and mellow out some of the sound.

• kswl2
    15 years ago

Deep aqua on the walls and red curtains :)

• lee676
    15 years ago

However you decorate it, don't neglect good acoustics. Parallel walls and a lack of upholstered furniture/rugs/curtains = excessive reverberation (and volume if it's a small room). Too much upholstery/curtains/carpeting yields a flat, lifeless sound. I had a relative who had the latter problem and solved it by building a wood platform to place underneath the grand piano, shaped like the piano itself, which both looked great and improved the sound. Also, bright light shining through large windows directly on the piano, especially non-UV-treated glass, can be harsh on the wood. The tray ceiling is a good idea - helps disperse the sound.

• caminnc
    15 years ago

I don't know about acoustics and function but I think this room is beautiful.

• trailrunner
    15 years ago

The rooms with the large windows are beautiful but the piano would stay in tune about 5 minutes...per our tuner. The wood is not the problem it is the sound board and the strings. If you have a wonderful instrument and not a piece of furniture then you will have to compromise on the site for the piano as far as windows and also your a/c-heat vents. Just my .02 after having pianos since the 50's. juliem has hers perfectly ! Beautiful ! c

• lynninnewmexico
    15 years ago

I agree with Lee and Trailrunner, pianos are fine (and expensive!) instruments and need to be placed with care in rooms. Juliem, your room is perfect . . . and perfectly wonderful! What a lovely place to play or read!
    Lynn

• jaybird
    15 years ago

Ahhhhh JulieM what a beautiful room.....I would love to have been able to play while my Mother read, and she would have been ecstatic. Give your daughter a big hug!

• juliem2360
    15 years ago

Thank you so much for the lovely compliments! I'm not sure how much credit I can take for the position of the piano. I knew I didn't want it by the window which only left one spot as the room, while having a tall ceiling, isn't that large. I'm happy to know that the piano is positioned well though.

Jaybird, it's an incredible joy to be able to sit and listen to her play. I'm going to miss it terribly when she leaves for college in 2 years.

• randita
    Original Author
    15 years ago

caminnc- that is a beautiful room, but I wouldn't subject my piano to direct sunlight like that. But I love the windows - just would have shades or something on them during the sunniest parts of the day.

lee676-the room will have a nice big window facing out to a covered porch, so direct sunlight won't be a problem. I'm planning on a rug, heavy-ish long drapes and an upholstered chair or loveseat. Will try the rug out in different locations taking into account sound. There are also two doorways leading out of the room, so keeping the doors open when I can will help disperse the sound.

Sponsored
Longhouse Architects
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Prominent Architecture Firm Creating Cohesive Designs