Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kbard_gw

Short windows HELP!

kbard
11 years ago

Our new house has great huge windows everywhere except the master bedroom. I have been googling for weeks how to decorate these "short windows" and havent even had luck finding out what these are called or what will look good on them. They Start about 5' up off the ground and both sets are 26x98". The first one you see is an east facing exterior window and the other is a window that looks into the sunroom. The sun shines right in our faces and wakes us up every morning, really extremely bright, so we would like some dimming but nothing totally opaque because the room is pretty dark at any other time of day. Please help!

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (17)

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

They are called awning windows.

The house that I did that had these + full-sized windows, we treated them differently by putting either shutters or simple pleated shades on the band of awning windows and conventional treatments including full length curtains on the other.

• Sujafr
    11 years ago

One thing you might consider would be wide plantation shutters. The picture below is one example. This one was on houzz.com and is from davelaneconstruction.com. (I have no connection to this site.) You could use 2 pair on each wall. High windows without wide trim can look unfinished to me. However, plantation shutters can be one way to finish them off nicely. You can either get them outside or inside mount, and they either come with wide trim or you can use your existing trim. We just installed them on a couple of high windows, but our windows were not as wide as yours. I've ordered online using a couple different blinds sites and just requested free samples to make sure of the quality and color before ordering the shutters. They do take a few weeks to get, but I love them for windows up high. You can check out houzz.com for more inspiration.

Another option would be roman shades in either bamboo or fabric.

Here is a link that might be useful: [Houzz.com Plantation Shutters in Bedrooms[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/bedroom-plantation-shutters-phbr0lbl-bl~l_62637)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

You could do room darkening pleated shades that would draw up out of the way for daytime....maybe a valance to cover. Or you could get lined wood blinds to do the same thing.

The nice things about these windows are they leave the room with lots of wall space. The bad thing is you can't see out and they don't act as fire escapes.

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

We had windows like those in our basement.

When we finished the space, for each window, I bought very simple

unfinished bookcases the width of the window and painted them to match the trim. I hung bamboo shades from the ceiling to just cover the top of the window frame, and about and inch wider than the window frame. I ran a curtain rod in front of the shade, at the top of the wall, out about 18" to the sides, and hung very simple floor to ceiling curtains.

Here's a sketch of before and after:

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

Forgot to finish the message...

You could get a similar effect with a tall headboard deep enough to have a shelf in the top, ointo which you could put books and covered baskets to hold anything your night stands are too small to hold.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Nice idea, Bronwynsmom!

I remember one show where they hung the drapes the full length and beneath the short window put mirror tiles with muntins to make the window look larger...

• terezosa / terriks
    11 years ago

I love brownynsmom's suggestion!

• design_wotcha
    11 years ago

I love brownynsmom's suggestion of building around and up to the windows. Placing a bed with a high headboard below one set of windows is a trick I have used successfully in the past but I only had one set of windows to "hide".

For another simple solution you could try a Candice Olson trick. A valance (placed well above the window) and a bottom up blind (placed well below the window, held open at bottom of real window). it gives the impression that the window is larger than it is and the wood adds texture to the room.

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

Thanks, all.

Kbard, if you wanted to make use of my solution, since your window(s) is/are so wide, and you have two pairs, you could hang the curtains so that they do overlap the sides of the windows.

Then you could put bookcases under one set, and a headboard of equal height under the other, with the same finish.

Whatever you do, I think you do need to treat both sets the same way, and your solution should make the windows seem substantial. Otherwise, you will feel as though you are in a basement, even though you aren't!

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

Thanks, all.

Kbard, if you wanted to make use of my solution, since your window(s) is/are so wide, and you have two pairs, you could hang the curtains so that they do overlap the sides of the windows.

Then you could put bookcases under one set, and a headboard of equal height under the other, with the same finish.

Whatever you do, I think you do need to treat both sets the same way, and your solution should make the windows seem substantial. Otherwise, you will feel as though you are in a basement, even though you aren't!

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

Thanks, all.

Here's another quick sketch...I seem to be obsessed with this question!

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

Sorry about the multiples...twitchy fingers, apparently.

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

For a fresh, modern look, I love the stripes - you'd want to paint a wide white border around the windows, and start from there, wouldn't you think?

The black and white would give me the willies in a bedroom, even though graphically they look great, but the scheme would also work with more closely related colors, too...like pale aqua or peach and cream, or soft yellow and white...wouldn't it?

• design_wotcha
    11 years ago

I agree - although I like modern and graphic I would probably only use something this bold in a guest room! I like your idea of a soft yellow and white for a master - seems particularly cheery!

• kbard
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone these are some wonderful ideas! When (one day my husband designs and builds our bed I will definitely ask him to make the headboard come up high. I like the bamboo shades idea but our style is sort of French country So I think maybe darker wood with wider slats?

• Sujafr
    11 years ago

I love bronwynsmom's suggestions, too--really would make those windows fit right in! I happen to have an aversion to bookcase headboards though, so would likely opt for just a taller headboard, but still go for the symmetry of the window treatments. If it were me, I'd also ck on CL for headboards. We found an amazing deal for only $25 for one for our guest room...even better than making one. We were able to attach it to our existing metal frame that the boxspring and mattress sits on.

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

Yes, blinds with wider slats would work, too. If you use those, be sure to install your curtain rod with long enough brackets so that your blinds will clear them in the fully open position.

You could also use a warm honey-colored tone for blinds and still be consistent with the French style you like...and that might be nicer in a room where the natural light comes from the top. They'd look very nice with a generous ticking stripe or check pattern for the curtains, and perhaps a farmyard toile somewhere on your bed? (I do love a good rooster print now and then!)