Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skeylargo_gw

Window treatments in Kitchen and Family Room

skeylargo
11 years ago

I have a Kitchen opened to the Family Room and need to do window treatments for it. The family room has sliding door, there is a regular door leading to the outside and a bay window in the kitchen - all on one wall. I will be making some kind of swagged valances with horns and jabots (exact pattern TBD)

- Do I make the same window treatment with the same fabric for all three areas?

- How do I make a valance for the regular outside door to coordinate with the bay window and the sliding door?

I will be also making a seat cushion for the bay window.

Margo

Comments (8)

• skeylargo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I did not know how to attach more than one picture so here's a second picture with the kitchen bay window

• skeylargo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

i am having issues with pictures today :)

• ellendi
    11 years ago

This is a tough one. My first thought was matcing cellular shades on the doors.
    If you want a blind with the swags you will be making, I would match all the blinds. (You wouldn't put cellular under swags.)
    The bay can be treated as a whole separate area.
    I know others will come up with a more imaginative plan, and I will be floowing your post.

• chispa
    11 years ago

What jumped out at me from the photos was the painted and stained trim in the same space. My opinion, is that it makes the space look unplanned or unfinished.

• sheesh
    11 years ago

I don't know, chispa. I have painted and stained in the same place because that is how I wanted it. I like it that way.

• ellendi
    11 years ago

I like the wood too, but it's true it will look more cohesive if the wood is painted.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

First question is do you want window treatments for decoration? light control? and/or privacy?

First blush, I would use coordinating but not matching fabrics on the slider and the bay window and I wouldn't treat the door at all. If I had to treat the door, I'd look at the double shirred or the encased blinds. On the slider, if I needed complete privacy, I would put a large valance, off centered, across the top and stack full length drape panel to one side only so that they will stack back completely onto the wall during the daytime and shut all the way at night.

On the bay window, you have the option of treating the front of the window only, or treating the windows themselves in an angled fashion. I did the latter with my bay window.

• skeylargo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I do not need to worry about the privacy. It is mostly for decorative purposes. Considering putting sheer maybe on a slider just to add softness. Do not want to put long drapes on bay since once again no privacy issue and there is a heater at the bottom of the bay.
    For the bay, I was going to just put the valance across on the outside wall, not on the window itself. I was going to bring the valance up just couple of inches from the crown molding on both the slider and the bay.
    For the door, I vaguely remember seeing mounting hardware that opens with the door but can't remember were (I think it was for french doors but same idea).