Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
backsweat

Please help with Dining Room Furniture & Color(pics)

backsweat
16 years ago

Stumbled across this forum while searching for details on replacing a central A/C system (as my nick alludes)and thought I may be able to get some help on some decorating issues as well.

We've been in this house going on 4 years in October and the dining room has been empty since moving in.

Painted the walls about 3 years back and threw down a rug and panels but still need to get furniture. At this point, I'm willing to repaint he walls which would also mean a rug replacement in most cases.

The buffet in the pic is just an old dresser and will be replaced. I think we're leaning more for buffet with lamps/picture/mirror above it as opposed to a china deck, but haven't ruled that out.

The wall color is actually a BM red tone and not plum/brothel burgandy as it sort of looks in the photo's. Our style is more PotteryBarn/Restoration Hardware but we wanted the room to be upscale transitional or at least simple formal. I,e our taste is not ornate, and don't want a lot of glitz/frilly dining stuff with tons of carving/gold accents, etc.

http://photobucket.com"; target="_blank">

Had looked at the Restoration Hardware camden trestle table but even the large is too small for the space. (want to seat at least 8 comfortably.) The other thought was the Market Street Collection by Bernhardt, but I've heard the quality of their stuff isn't the greatest either. Was going to get that with different end chairs (wing/upholstered)

Folks have suggested to look at Nichols and Stone, Hickory White & Bermex, but nothing there really strikes me. Like the Lauren Estate table and could live with the sideboard, but don't care for the chairs. Baker Milling Road is nice, but can't really put the whole thing together in something we really like.

http://photobucket.com"; target="_blank">

The adjacent hall is huntington beige or something along those lines from BM. There's a butlers pantry connecting from the kitchen and it too is the red with white cabinets.

Would be wililng to change out wall color and rug if need be, depending upon the style of the set. Definitely not into real modern stuff either.

Any comments, suggestions, ideas, etc. welcomed!! If we don't have a finished dining room by this thanksgiving, my marriage hangs in the balance!

Wife has input and is probably more flexible than myself.

Please help. (by the way, the whole house is wood and I'm hating that we went lighter (by my choice). Wish we had done dark walnut through the whole thing (as wife wanted), but the floors staying for awhile because it's worse than moving to have it re-done)

Comments (28)

• foxes_garden
    16 years ago

www.amishtables.com has some reallllly long tables available and they're made to order so you choose the wood, etc.

I really like your walls and rug, so I hope you can get furniture that works with it.

• msrose
    16 years ago

I'm not familiar with the tables you mentioned, but I just wanted to say that I love the colors you have in there now and I wouldn't change it.

We also had the same discussion about floors. My husband wanted to go light and I wanted to go darker. I won! I like it alot, but the light seems to be more popular and sometimes I wonder if I should have done that.

Laurie

• hilltop_gw
    16 years ago

I don't have any table suggestions but want to say the room is beautiful so far. The rug, drapes, paint color and architectural details are gorgeous! I certainly wouldn't go to the time & expense of repainting. You've got a great thing going.

• twg7590
    16 years ago

I LOVE this dining room. Your drapes and rug are stunning! Have you found dining room furniture yet?

Could you share the manufacturer of your chandelier? I am looking for a new one for our dining room. Thanks!

• disneyrsh
    16 years ago

Geez. that would be my "after" room, not my "before". It's really beautiful, sorry I couldn't be more help, but I wouldn't mess with it.

• johnatemp
    16 years ago

I think your room is gorgeous.
    I was looking at Hickory White for my dining room. I really liked their British Club.

I liked this table..
    {{!gwi}}

And this sideboard for some dramatic flair with your room can definately handle:)
    {{!gwi}}

I found these at lexfurniture.com under hickory white.

Smiles:)

• mrsgoody
    16 years ago

What gorgeous colors you have in there! I have the exact opposite dilemma - I have recently purchased dining room furniture, and my dining room is a complete blank slate - white walls, white chair rail and crown molding, no curtains, builder grade brass chandelier. My tastes run similar to what you described, the PB/RH look. I thought I would post a link the the furniture we just purchased, maybe it will spark your interest.
    The table without leaves is round, but with two leaves it is plenty large enough to seat eight.
    Good luck with your furniture search!

Here is a link that might be useful: Dining Room Furniture

• igloochic
    16 years ago

I would like to see you do something fairly traditional, and I'd like to send you to an antique shop verses trying to buy new. But then I'm kinda that way :)

Here are a couple of pictures of my dining room. As you can see, I do like gold...but I keep it on the walls :) The furniture is VERY traditional, very timeless and very elegant without being stuffy. You see this style in the high end design magazines constantly because it's one that works with most any home.

The chairs are Chippendale style. In one picture (living room right before remodel) you can see the arm chairs (one of them) in the picture from above which gives you a good idea of the style. The other chairs are with the table, which is pictured from the floor level because my DS was taking it (he's about two feet tall so his pictures tend to be a bit low to the ground). I don't yet have a carpet in place here, but the table would look lovely on your carpet! And then there's a picture of the table set so you can see it from the top. I love the warmth of the mahogany.

The chairs are a style easy to find, and come in many different quality (and price) ranges. Mine are 1840 Hairy Claw feet, which is very difficult to find, but the style is not. The table, china cabinet and buffet are all 1940's pieces (it's that timeless of a style...they have been made for about 150 years or so).

Honestly if you have any decent antique stores in your area you'll find this pretty easily. The pieces can be mix and match because they always have a similarity, ie they're mahogany and fairly streamlined in features (not a huge amount of flowery carvings or other embelishments). And you'll be able to do your room for less than you would have if you purchased new...but the pieces will appreciate in value verses decrease :)

You also see these on ebay constantly, both new (reproductions...very nice ones) and antique pieces.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{gwi:1392348}}

You'll see my pieces are looking a bit beat up here. We've since had them into the furniture restorer and for under $50 per chair he restored them sensative to their age (they are rather valuable) and he also restored the table for just a bit more. Everything looks lovely now, but we're going to change out the table to one that has a little bit of a curve to it's end verses the rectangle.

By the way, these tables always come with extentions. If our dining room were large enough we could sit 12 at ours easily. In the last picture we were hosting six (which is why you see different chairs...I need to find some that work with mine still). Our dining room is small so I always turn the table on a bit of a diagonal when we have dinner parties so that there is more room for all (I don't like a squeeze).

• meg711
    16 years ago

igloochic,

Love your diningroom! Not to hijack, but do you have one or two arm chairs? (I ask because we have older chairs and only one arm chair.)

Thanks!

• mimi_2006
    16 years ago

Beautiful room, I sure wouldn't change paint or rug.If you have an Ashleys Furniture Store nearby take a look at the Rowley Creek dining set. It's very reasonable and I think that style would look good in your room. It's hard to choose what others like but it's another suggestion to look at anyway. I have recently purchased it and when I saw your dining room I immediately thought that it would look good in there and it seats 8 very comfortably. I keep trying to link to the Ashley page but I can't seem to link directly to the table. Search for Rowley Creek at the page I have linked to see their picture of it. That room seems more similar to yours but here's a pic of it in my dining room also.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ashley Home Store

• patricianat
    16 years ago

I defer to Igloochick, and feel the same. Look at antiques wherever you can. They are still out there and much better than the new stuff.

• lnmca
    16 years ago

backsweat (Love that name!):

I am also interested in your chandelier. I've been searching for awhile. It's lovely!

Good luck with your furniture. I agree w/ igloochic. We've been here about 2 years and everything so far is new new new. No grandparents or parents to leave us some nice (or any!) hand-me-downs so I think we are going to hit the antique stores to look for igloo's dining set. For the money it seems hard to find good quality that will last a while. I love the Ralph Lauren look too, just big $$$.

Igloochic, are your chairs upholstered in black leather? They are gorgeous.

• cattknap
    16 years ago

Yes, a room that beautiful deserves some well made, timeless styled vintage furniture - I agree with igloochic, Patrica, et al.

• meg711
    16 years ago

Yet another voice urging you to look for antiques. We bought our table and chairs from someone who was moving out of their San Francisco house about 15 years ago--for a fraction of what a new set would cost now.

Here's a photo although the table isn't set up. We have no idea of the age but it's an empire style table (upside down). The chairs still need to be re-upholstered.

• skews
    16 years ago

LOVE the colors. for furniture try, eddy west, elden collection, henredon and drexel heritage.

• cattknap
    16 years ago

Beautiful set Meg!

• meg711
    16 years ago

Thanks cattknap. The orange moving stickers really add something, don't they?

• georgiagal
    16 years ago

Meg, everytime I see your table, I get a little thrill, since I have a reproduction Empire table too. I'd love to see yours all set up! Here's my table by itself before I got my chairs.

I agree with looking for older tables..there are plenty out there to choose from & you can get a lot more for your $$ than buying new. I bought mine new at a good price & it is solid wood, but I was looking for round & those older ones are hard to find in the right size that I needed.

• shay13
    16 years ago

I love your dining room and colors! I certainly would not repaint or get another rug, you just need to furnish and accesorize. Have you looked at Ethan Allen's Newport Collection. It has an antique feel, with clean simple lines that would be beautiful.
    On a side note, I am really admiring your rug, can you tell me where you purchased it?

Here is a link that might be useful: Ethan Allen

• backsweat
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks all for the feedback and ideas. A few have mentioned hunting down an antique set, which I've been trying to do for the better half of the last year. With these things it's it or miss, and I've been striking out. Either bit too small (want 12 person option), too ornate for our liking or way too proud of their set $$$$$. Have come across a few options on craigslist but I've found that if I'm a day late inquiring the set is gone. Haven't given up but would like something by this holiday season. I actually had an eye on the Hickory White table that Johnatemp mentioned until I found out that the table alone is $3500. With a 2 year old and 5 year old, there's no such thing as a forever piece if its got any veneers. Mimi, I like your idea and style but our kitchen set is very close and we wanted something more formal, yet without tons of glitz/carvings, etc. I haven't had a chance but will look into all the other suggestions that folks have offered.

Regarding our Chandelier, it was actually in the house when we moved in. I've looked for the mfg. but havent had any success. Regarding the Rug, it's a Pottery Barn. Not the best quality but the price was right (ebay ~$600 for 9x12 and new). The actual rug is the Tree of Life, which I think is discontinued, but ebay listers seems to list new ones every now and then. When I say not the best quality, it looks fine, but the knot count is nothing like the rug in the pic that meg listed. Even when we get a dining set, we'll only used the room 5 times a year max, so it suites our needs. The curtains are restoration hardware. Decent enough quality, price was so-so, but it was easy non-custom. Again, ebay listers have Pottery Barn panels that are basically the same at much better prices.

Georgiagal, can I ask the mfg of your table/sideboard? I like the solid look and the finishes.

Thanks Again to all who've taken the time to give ideas. Hopefully we'll have something soon enough and the next question will be what to do with the walls!
    Cheers

• premier
    16 years ago

YOu have a beautiful house. Love the color of the walls and the woodwork. But really dislike the drapes..they look glitzy. Your house is to good for those drapes. Keep looking around and one of these days you will see dining room furniture that you will know in your gut is just perfect.

• johnatemp
    16 years ago

Backsweat,
    Call Lexington furniture for a price. I do not work for them - I got a price of +/-$2,000 plus shipping. You don't have to pay tax to Lexington furniture - out of state sale unless you live in KY. Now, I will not make any claims about the state you live in, thou!

I also looked around for antiques myself and the ones I would love to have were so far out of my price range. I will inherit a lovely walnut Baker table from the 40's so I wasn't willing to chunk out for high - high end heirloom quality antiques. On eBay I did find a seller called Stenella Antiques in PA that looked very promising. If I stayed on the antique route I think it would have been worth a flight. Henkel Harris, Stratford, Hickory white, etc.

I ended up getting a round (which is harder to find in antiques) from EA. I love the flame mahogany on the table with the inlay along the perimeter. Someone mentioned it above - the newport collection. I have a post going....diningroom/carrington court chairs.

I would love to see more pics of your house!!

Smiles:)

• georgiagal
    16 years ago

Backsweat, thanks! My table is new is from Richardson Bros. I had never heard of them until I bought the table, but I think they make good quality solid wood pieces. The table is actually oak & is stained darker, so looks nothing like oak. Believe it or not, I got that table on a closeout sale from a local dealer here for $300. I was ecstatic at the find. I would have looked for an older table, but like Jonatemp said, round ones are harder to find in antique tables. At least one that was in my price range.

The sideboard is mahogany & I've had it for about 10 years. I think it's probably from the 50's & is very a very nice piece. I paid $550 for it 10 years ago & you can't touch a new one for anywhere near that price. So, I'd look around for older pieces too if I were you. There are lots out there & if you keep looking you'll find it.

Your DR is beautiful...love all the moldings & that rug is gorgeous! I'm sure it will turn out lovely.

• backsweat
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Johnatemp- thanks for the tip, I tried lexfurniture and they quoted me $2400 + shipping. Did you actually get a $2K + shipping quote recently? Definitely more within our range than the initial $3500 quote from boyles. Same boat as you, ever antique set that we've run into and really liked cost more than a lexus or was sold online before we could get to it.

Georgiagal...$300!? total steal...lucky to find quality sidechairs in that range nowadays. That sideboard at $550's a steal too. Great balance of style. Many of them I've come across are way too ornate for my personal taste.

Going to chat with my wife to get her take on the lex price of the Hickory White table and then will be back for advice on chairs/sideboard, etc.

Still haven't given up on the antique route...maybe something will pop up.

Igloo and Meg, your sets are spot on the type of stuff we were looking for. Definitely dressy but not all sorts of inlay/carving/glitz detail. I see the underside of Megs table and it definitely says "don't make em' like they used too!" That thing could withstand a Humvee driving over it!

I'd post pics of the other rooms of our place but their much like the dining room!? (sadly enough) I need a 12 step program for decision making when it comes to purchasing furniture.

• meg711
    16 years ago

Oh Backsweat, I can so relate. Not only am I not making decisions, but I'm actually going backwards on decisions that have already been made. I wish there were a 12-step program for the indecisive. (Such a bad combo to be a procrastinating perfectionist, afraid to make a mistake.)

I've been sitting here in front of my computer "window shopping" rather than doing what needs to get done around here. And, on that note, just wanted to tell you that your choices so far have been wonderful. Your rug and paint colors are all gorgeous and I'm sure the final room will be, too.

Here's an idea. Have you looked at the "for sale" ads in your local newspaper? There might be a few techno-challenged people out there trying to down-size. It might be worth a try. Good luck!

• backsweat
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Meg, I havent resorted to classifieds yet because I can't imagine counting on someones "description" if they don't have the wearwithall to get a post on ebay or craigslist. LOL. On a serious note, getting plugged into estate sales is worthwhile, especially in today's economy. A neighbor of mine just unloaded the entire contents of their house, including Stickley dining set. I was outta town, so missed the opportunity.

Part of my problem is that I want to pick something that I'm going to like forever, full well knowing that even if the quality is "forever", I'll likely want to mix it up/change it out, down the line..just for change of pace. When we moved into this place I insisted on havng the floors done light when they were refinished and hate it. Since then, I've been complete mental masterbation when it comes to making other house decisions. Reality is that furniture can be flipped on criagslist, to relatives, whatever..whereas re-do'ing floors entails completely moving out of the house again.

Excuse me while I go look at more crap online!? (for the 100th time)

• meg711
    16 years ago

Don't beat yourself up about the floors. Lighter floors show scratches and dust less than darker floors, make the rooms seem bigger, and are probably easier to decorate around. And, besides, with the rug there you won't really even see the floors. We all have our decorating "mistakes" to contend with and, most of the time, we're the only ones who really notice them.

Okay, back to real work for me now. Ha!

• eac5
    16 years ago

I love your dining room....could you let me know the actual red tone BM color you used? Thanks!