Return to the Home Decorating Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tips for Painting a Picture Frame Faux Gold?

Posted by leafy02 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 20, 11 at 13:31

My Goodwill donations had been in the back of my car for a month and I finally drove over to drop them off today...and my reward was a terrific score: a large faux-bamboo framed picture (and two lamps!).

I am going to ditch the picture and use the frame to frame some vintage wallpaper, but first I'd like to paint the frame gold to coordinate with the other frames in my bedroom.

Does anyone have any tips (or know of any online tutorials) for using paint to look like gold leaf, or "old" gold frames?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tips for Painting a Picture Frame Faux Gold?

I have had great luck with Sophisticated Finishes. You can buy it online or at Michael's. It is real metal in solution. Very easy to use, goes a long way and dries quickly. Use a small brush and feather it on till you have the look you want. Way better than spray paint as this goes on lighter and you have more control. Hope this helps and look forward to seeing pics. c

o

I use an acrylic antique gold paint and when dry, brush on a mushroom color and wipe off to the desired color I want. You could also use a darker brown if you want the finished frame to be darker.

o

Michaels sells something that is cream in a small pot. You rub it on. I love it. Sorry I don't have the details. The container is about the size of a cream eyeshadow or cream blush. You'll have control, won't have to mask, etc. I highly recommend. I don't recall exactly where it is located but I'm sure one of the clerks can help out.

o

Thanks for the tips. I didn't make it to Michael's this weekend, hopefully I will get there this week--it's only four blocks from my house!

o

A product to consider is Rub-N-Buff.

I learned about it on this blog...
http://isabellaandmaxrooms.blogspot.com/search/label/Rub %27n Buff

...and I just used it cover a light fixture.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rub-N-Buff

o

I learned a long time ago to apply clear shellac over metallic gold paint (bronze powder) so that it stays bright, otherwise it will fade to a darker or greener color in a few years as the bronze tarnishes.
Casey

o

I finished painting the frame last night and it looks great!

After a fruitless hunt for Sophisticated Finishes at my local Michael's and being scared of all the caution info on the liquid gilding product, what I purchased were three colors of Martha Stewart craft paint: a medium brown in satin finish, metallic gold and metallic yellow-gold.

Using a natural sea sponge, I applied the brown first and let it dry. Then I went over the frame with both of the golds, pretty much blending them together.

It looks just as I'd hoped--like it's always been gold, and like it's old. It's propped up on my buffet with three or four pictures in vintage frames that I haven't hung up yet (we've only been here 2.5 years) and it looks right at home among them.

I love it when a project actually turns out to be easier than I feared :)

o

please post pics :) c

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here