Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
igloochic

Hard, Clear plastic storage bins

igloochic
15 years ago

I am looking for some nice clear plastic/lucite storage bins for our master closet. I found some at the container store, but their shipping costs are UNREAL (over 900 bucks for the order...which is silly). My stove didn't cost that much to ship from france!

Anyhoo, any other sources? I want to be able to see my contents, especially the fabric.

Comments (12)

• robin_g
    15 years ago

Wally World and Target come to mind. We bought some that are drawers. as opposed to top-opening bins. I like the drawers because whatever you want is invariably at the bottom. Look for Sterilite and Rubbermade.

Robin

• mustangs81
    15 years ago

Big Lots has tons of containers. I always try there first then on to the SuperTarget as they have many as Robin stated.

• rmkitchen
    15 years ago

I was going to also suggest Target -- that's where we get both the brands robin_g suggested.

In both shoebox-sized and larger I hold shoes and fabrics (in different boxes, of course! but I haven't machine sewn in nearly two years, so I bet seeing those fabrics again will feel like christmas!), and then in the humongous-sized I hold children's clothes. (I think you know I have two sons, so my younger gets to wear "hand-me-downs" -- luckily his big brother is gentle on his clothes. If I get lucky enough to have another baby, however [and I'm not feeling v. lucky these days -- lots of blue moods -- how are you doing?], I think I'll have to start from scratch because my younger son is super messy!)

Anyway, Target is a great bet, and they often have specials on those bins -- stock up!

Good luck my dear!

• mitchdesj
    15 years ago

I found hard, clear plastic shoe boxes at California Closet, drawer type; they were $15 each and I needed 45 of them. I settled for clear vinyl type boxes with a clear cover, $2.49 each.

As for shipping, it's often based on volume or weight, whichever is higher, so large containers will cost a bundle to ship, even if they are not heavy, a real bummer.
    I used to ship paintings and I found out quickly that's how it worked.

• patricianat
    15 years ago

Igloo, go to this site http://www.sidelinesinc.com/

• igloochic
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We don't have Target yet and I'd like to get the closet done somewhat (so I can organize myself from the get go). Wally world and Fredmeyer both have the semi clear plastic bins for cheap, but they're not terribly tidy looking when all stacked up, and you really can't clearly see what is inside.

I also have bins of cloths RM LOL DS had a gorgeous wardrobe because he never grew. I was a big ebay shopper and it's fll of Polo, Hilfiger, blah blah and his sailor suit collection almost riveled his sweater vest collection. I still hold on, hoping to have that baby to use them on. How's that going? I find out tomorrow if I'm pregnant (we're doing Clomid and a little assortment of timing and drugs). The pee test says no, but I'm told it's rather early for those so we do a blood test tomorrow. We'll see :) I'm sorry it's not happening yet for you...You're in my thoughts there!!!

Now, off to sidelines LOL

Oh an I do understand shipping because it's a fact of life her in Alaska, but almot 900 for twenty boxes is REDICULOUS! It's not that expensive to ship here.

• igloochic
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Can someone pretty please go to sidelines and enter the site (past the initial page) and post a link to anything there? I seem to have some issues with my flash player and can't get past the intro page :(

• glaserberl
    15 years ago

Hope that works

Here is a link that might be useful: sidelines

• igloochic
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you so much :) Now I'm having fun!!

• mustangs81
    15 years ago

I love that sidelines website! Igloo, $900 is outrageous.

Mine are cheapo for my shoes and not the hard plastic that you are looking for. I used the drill bit for drilling a door knob and drilled holes (see boxes on left side) in the boxes (not finished yet). The act as a finger hole to put the boxes out as well as letting me see what's inside.

• lynninnewmexico
    15 years ago

Mustangs, you are amazing! Just when I think that I've seen every organizational idea out there, you come up with something new! I love that idea!
    Not much to add to this thread, as I usually head to Target when I need something like that. If I can't find it there, I head to the Containerstore,com. I'm off to check out Sidelines. Don't you just love this forum?!?
    Lynn

• Simplastics
    13 years ago

have you checked out www.simplastics.com for the clear plastic bins? we have them in sizes ranging from as small as 4-1/2" long x 3" high thru 24" long x 12" high.

Some of the bins have an optional clear window to cover the top and optional dividers as well.

please check out the link below and let me know if i can help any of you.

thanks

Here is a link that might be useful: Simplastics Clear Bins