Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tinam61

Happy National Dog Day!!!

tinam61
9 years ago

Happy NDD to my baby, Abby: (seen here going for a ride LOL)

Comments (81)

• Houseofsticks
    9 years ago

Bolt, our husky/lab rescue.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Such cute pups! :)

• desertsteph
    9 years ago

Happy Day to all of your precious babies!

I have no pics of mine on this hd - darn. will have to put some on soon before I need one again!

• doodledog_gw
    9 years ago

First up is my aussiedoodle Piper - this girl is so smart it's scary!

• doodledog_gw
    9 years ago

And our latest addition is William a great dane puppy. I thought this picture was perfect for the decor forum LOL.

• alex9179
    9 years ago

Lola and Riley.

Siblings at heart and 12 yrs old. He was my first dog and the cutest puppy from a local shelter. Three years later I saw her on Petfinder. Advertised as 7 yrs old at our city pound, but the vet thought she was closer to 3.
    I know our time together is drawing to a close and I tear up every time I let myself think about it.

• caroline94535
    9 years ago

Every day is National Dog Day for my boys...

Here's my heart, Harry, enjoying the Christmas Season. He's about six in this photo; he's 11 years, 8 months now!

• caroline94535
    9 years ago

And here is Harry's great-great-great-nephew, Sam, on the right. Sam is a sweetheart, too; but he has caused both Harry and me a few stressful moments.

It's getting much better. Sam and Harry have never been the best of friends. They don't go so far as growling or fighting, but Sam has learned his boundaries and they do have fun moments together.

When Harry is happy; "Mama" is happy. When "Mama" is happy, Sam is happy.

Happy, Happy, Happy!

• annac54
    9 years ago

My oldest border collie. Soon to be 11 years old.

• Oakley
    9 years ago

Too many adorable pictures to comment on each one, but Caroline, Pointers are my favorite dogs! The two dogs below that we got from the Humane Society have Pointer in them (they both look like black Pointers), and Lobo pointed for the first time last week!

Lobo

Wolf(ie)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Look at all these great photos! DOG is LOVE spelled backward. Okay, it isn't. But it should be.

On the other hand, what DOG is spelled backward works too! And as my church says, "God is Love." So, if dog spelled backward is god, and god is love, then indeed, dog spelled backward is love!

See how it all works out? That is the magic of dogs.

• katlan
    9 years ago

I'm a day late but this is our sweet Jack (Jackson). He was 16 1/2 years old when we lost him. That was a year and a half ago. We just can't bring ourselves to get another dog. Losing them is too hard.

His dad was a border collie, his mother a full blooded dalmation. He was hyper!! And smart beyond belief. Almost scary smart.

Oh, that sweet, sweet face....

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

I just have to say again how much it lightens my heart to see such sweet dogs. They add so much to our lives. My KoKo is ten and her eyes are getting cloudy and she is finding it harder to get up these days but I swear with each day I love her more.

My sweet Murphy will be six years old in September. He is so mellow and absolutely loves people. He is definitely my little Velcro boy!

Thank you all for sharing!

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    9 years ago

Here are two of my 4 kids, Riley on the left, with newest rescue Rooney on the right inspecting a delivery of dog food. Along with 12ish Jenny and 14.5 year old Sam, they make my life wonderful. I just looked at the calendar and see that Rooney has been part of the family exactly one month today.

Tribbix, I have a great bumper sticker that reads 'Dog is my co-pilot', which is a cute play on the other one where the letters in the first word are reversed!

Here is a link that might be useful: bumper sticker - there are breed specific ones now, too

• clt3
    9 years ago

My 2, doing what they do best. Tori on the left, who's sick with pancreatitis right now, and Riley on the right.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

clt, panreatitis? Yikes! that's seroius.

I have an Irish terrier in my menagerie of charges, Keeley, and I absolutely adore him (and he moi!). He can be alpha, at times, though, and I have to tell him to knock it off, which he does.

My3dogs, lol re: your bumper sticker. A great bumper sticker for either dog lovers or faithful dyslexics!

• nanny2a
    9 years ago

Just a day late! Here are my two Westies, Dundee on the left and our rescue from a puppy mill, Dixie, on the right. SheâÂÂs the sweetest soul weâÂÂve ever met.

{{!gwi}}

• neetsiepie
    9 years ago

Max and Zelda. This is several years old. Z will be 10 in November and Maxie is 8. We also have Aurora, an American Eskimo/Border Collie mix and my granddog Ruphous is back with us for the time being.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Tibbrix, I love the drawing of you with some of your charges! So happy to see all the great dogs posted and the stories to go with them.

LOL at the bumper sticker! Gotta check out more of that site.

• jrueter
    9 years ago

Meet Maddux, our new rescue - we pick her up on Friday

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    9 years ago

Hey now, no more posting since dog day is over. TOTALLY KIDDING!!!!

Lovely puppy doggies. Every one of them. Great looking! I'm really enjoying y'alls' pictures. Cats have their day in another two months.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Thanks, Outsideplaying. She is VERY talented. She does do them professionally, $300 per. She refused to take payment for mine, so I bought her a clothespin bag (we both love our clothesline, and this bag is really great) and a wreath I have that she loves. It takes her a long time to do the painting because she puts her heart and soul into them and getting the personalities and feel for the specific scenario.

So, here is a crooked pic of the whole painting, which encompasses my property (note the beach towels on the clothesline, the big tree, my neighbors' rooster (now dead) and chickens, a few friends, and the best, the angel bringing the bowl of water to the representation of dogs who've passed on (most of the dogs in the painting have since passed on! I lost 16 in two years!). But I LOVE that angel bringing the water bowl! I don't know how she ever thought of that.

So, if anyone wants a beautiful, unique wonderful painting of their family, pets, lifestyle, whatever, email me and I can set you on the road. She's really great. Also lives on Cape Cod. And she did this painting purely via photos I submitted of people and dogs I wanted in the drawing.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

And here it is on the wall so you can see the scale

• Oakley
    9 years ago

Katlan, I felt the same way once when I lost my beloved Lily. About six months later I got another dog of the same breed and she filled up that hole in my heart on day one.

Bring the joy back in your life. :)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Oakleyok, I think the best way to honor your beloved dog(s) who's passed is to give to another the loving home you gave him/her/them.

• clt3
    9 years ago

Tibbrix - Your Keeley's picture looks so much like my Riley. Do you find nobody knows what he is? I had a veterinarian guess he was a wire haired Viszla!
    Tori seems better today - had an antibiotic shot, bland diet, and Pepcid. When a little terrier doesn't get out of her bed in the morning, I knew something was wrong

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Keeley isn't mind. I'm a dog sitter, which also, ironically, means I can't have my own dog! Do you see Keeley in my cousin's painting? He's in there!

Tori must have gotten into something. I keep Pepcid on hand for dogs in case they get into something, specifically to ward off pancreatitis.

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

Every day is dog day here. It's hard to choose a pic, but Noah deserves special recognition. He was adopted by my daughter several years ago from a shelter where he'd been turned in as a stray. His coat was a patchwork mess, but they assured her it probably was a bad haircut and would grow back. Not so. Over $2,500 later of tests and surgery (to see if he had undescended testicles), vets made a dx of alopecia x, baldness with no known cause.

When my daughter was injured about 4 years ago, Noah came to live with me. He has since lost more fur, been dx with liver tumors and has the usual arthritic symptoms of age. He gets medications every day and extra food to keep his weight up. He wears a homemade coat that I create from long-sleeve men's knit shirts to protect him from the sun.

Noah is a sweetheart dog. I am amazed that he is still here and I know I will miss him terribly when he leaves me.

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

Katlan, Jack looks like a sweetie. Our big Lab was a Jack (Blackjack).

We lost our first Corgi, Topper, suddenly to cancer. My 16-yr-old son said "Mom, there's a great big Corgi-shaped hole in this house." I was on the phone with our breeder the next day, and she had a 1-1/2-yr-old dog for us within a week. The new one isn't Topper, but he does fill up the hole.

We had the same thoughts as you - it IS hard to lose them, but we weren't willing to give up the years of joy to avoid the pain of loss.

Here's Jack - wet, which made him a happy dog. He was the very best dog ever. When we brought our newborn twins home from the hospital, Jack was ecstatic - it's as if he was thinking "Now I know what all the excitement is about around here - we had PUPPIES!" He tolerated everything those boys could dish out - when they were 9 months old, and pulling out handfuls of his fur, we tried putting him in the bedroom for his own protection. He cried until we let him out - and immediately parked himself next to the boys again.

And Topper, our first Cardigan Welsh Corgi. We got him as a pup when Jack was 12. Jack was his role model, so by the time Topper was 6 months old, he had the manners of an old, arthritic lab.

• katlan
    9 years ago

I know what you guys are saying. I miss having a dog. I have lots of dogs in my family, so I can visit and play with them.

I'm truly just not ready for a dog again. DH feels the same way. Jack was my husband's shadow. He stuck by his side every second they were together. It was terrible losing him.

• franksmom_2010
    9 years ago

I am not a dog person. Never have been, and have actually been bitten at least twice that I can recall. I'm a cat lady, but I married a man that wanted a dog.

Fast forward to moving in to this place and making friends with this giant German Shephard from next door. She is just the sweetest, smarted, dearest dog ever, and she has rehabilitated me.

The other neighboor's dog had a litter, and these puppies would bound across the yard to see us. *sigh*

So there they are, my TWO dogs. To add to the irony, we think they're a Pit Bull mix. Insane. How did this happen to me?

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

franksmomâ¦it's kismet.

• alex9179
    9 years ago

Franksmom, I wasn't a dog person, either. I grew up with cats, love them, and have a great one now...that my German Shepherd found as a kitten! Here they are at the foot of my bed, in Lola's bed, for a siesta ;)

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Tib, your cousin is indeed very talented. Thanks for showing us the whole painting. I know you must treasure it. Such fun and so special.

• gail618
    9 years ago

Alex your cat looks a lot like my Katie - here with my buddy Gus.

• gail618
    9 years ago

And before that with our Nellie. We had a matching pair.

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    9 years ago

Wow it's so fun to come back to this thread and see all the adorable doggies!

Re the "not a dog person" -- I didn't think I was a dog person, either. I was badly bitten when I was 8 or 9, needed 31 stitches in my leg :-( Decades later: we've only had Abby about 5 months, but she has totally grown on me. We have a cat, too, but I much prefer the company of our dog! (Don't tell the cat LOL). I'm still not into aggressive or slobbery dogs, but I love polite & sweet ones!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

melle, honestly? I doubt your cat would care that you prefer the company of your dog! Lol. Cats are pretty aloof.

I had two bull mastiffs in my menagerie, until they died within two weeks of each other. Talk about slobbery! I would get down on the floor with them and play rough house, which they LOVED, but when I got up, my hair would be sticking out every which wayâ¦and I have thick hair! So funny. So I always planned the floor rough housing with them before a shower! But they were THE sweetest dogs. Truly "gentle giants".

Outsideplaying, her paintings are so fun. They really capture one's life, and they're like "Where's Waldo?". You find women new detail every time you look at them. I don't know how artists do it!

These pics of these dogs (and cats) are so much fun! Here is one of one of my charges (Cooper, also in the painting) chasing Maggie the morning after a huge snowfall. And that's Angus next to Cooper.

• tinam61
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Katlan, if you are not ready, then wait. You will know when/if the time is right. One dog cannot replace another. However, you may find that you have room in your heart for more than one!

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Katlan, I totally understand. I lost my dear Tommy kitty right before Christmas last year. I am still mourning for him. Several months after he passed on my DH left a pic of a kitty from the SPCA on the counter. He looked almost like dear Tommy and as much as I wanted to give that sweet boy a home my heart just wasn't ready. I honestly don't know if it ever will be.

I have wanted a ragdoll cat for many years but there are so many sweet abandoned kitties (as Tommy was) that if I ever do get another it will be a rescue as almost all my other cats were.

• alex9179
    9 years ago

I agree with waiting. I had lost a kitty very suddenly and I was so bereft that DH just wanted to get another one in an attempt to ease my heartbreak. I couldn't. I told him that the right one will find it's way to our house when we're ready, which is what happened! Even though we put up all kinds of "Found" signs because she had a collar and we had NO money after DH being laid off, 3 little kids coming to live with us, and carrying two mortgages after a move. The worst timing, but the best kitty.

• alex9179
    9 years ago

I swear, what is up the the constant double posting issue!!! This used to hardly ever happen.

This post was edited by alex9179 on Thu, Aug 28, 14 at 20:24

• Ilene Perl
    9 years ago

I really thought I posted this before, but when looking thru again at all the adorable dogs I didn't see my toy poodle Buddy.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Ilene, that pic, with Buddy in the Jaws mouth, is hilarious. That blow-up toy is a scream.

• desertsteph
    9 years ago

"On the other hand, what DOG is spelled backward works too! And as my church says, "God is Love."

So, if dog spelled backward is god, and god is love,

then indeed, dog spelled backward is love!"

that's what I always say! dog is God spelled backward. They show us a smidgeon of how much God loves us. He loves us so much to bless our lives with these precious sweeties!

I also think the best way to honor the love and life of one of my babies that have passed is to find another one to shower with love (spoil rotten). It's good to read that so many here are rescues. I think all of mine have been.

All of your babies look very easy to love (and well loved). I'd take any of them (ok, one at a time). well, if I didn't have my little monster - lol!

btw, since I didn't find out it was NDD the other day til it was mostly over, I carried it over to the next day... and even today. I'm slipping in some extra kisses and cookies here and there. I blame my sister for spoiling her!

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    9 years ago

I am glad I stumbled on this thread! Such cute pictures of adorable dogs.

Here is a picture of my two babies-Kai, the American Eskimo and Cheyenne, our recued Siberian Husky. They truly are the light of my life.

Linda

• nhbaskets
    9 years ago

I'm late to the party but wanted to share our rescue dog, Bingo. He has been the best therapy for DH. Happy Labor Day to all!

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

NH, Bingo is a sweetie! I often wonder if rescue dogs are actually the rescuer. They certainly bring a lot of joy and love to our lives.

Happy Labor Day to you too.

• musicteacher
    9 years ago

My two 65 pound lap dogs:
    Paddington and Sophie singing Let it snow!

• msrose
    9 years ago

doodledog - That picture is amazing! I bet there's people out there that would love to have that in their home :)