Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
House saved

Posted by cyn427 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 19, 13 at 13:11

I love the lines of the porch, among many other things about this house. Hope you enjoy. It is in the Germantown area of Philadelphia which has so many beautiful stone homes and lots that had fallen into disrepair even when I lived up there.

I wish they had included some 'before' pictures as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: House restored

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: House saved

Wow! Thank-you so much for posting this! My favorite shot is the 5th one looking at the incredible front door and surrounding glass work from the inside.

Before pics would have been great to see.

o

The glass work around the door is stunning. Do we know the age of this house or did I miss it?

o

19th century. That'll teach me to just look at the pictures.

o

I wish there was before pics love watching transitions.

o

What an absolutely beautiful house.

o

Soooo tired of white painted woodwork - but that's just nitpicking, it is amazing - well what's a few more thousand $$$ when the time comes to remove it!

The rounded porch was my favorite - Id be living out there all summer.

o

That was a pleasure to look at! Love the strie dining room walls.

o

Gorgeous, gorgeous old place. What a nice restoration. The owner is taking a chance in that neighborhood, though. A lot of it is pretty sketchy.

Wish more places like this could be saved.

o

Wow. The windows are breath-taking. Love it.

o

Ded, you're right. I often think about the house my dad grew up in in Lansdowne. I imagine it is a wreck now, but gosh, was it wonderful in the 50s. Sigh.

I agree about the windows and the porch. I imagine the woodwork in this house was always white. Maybe not, but anyway, I like it. At least, that is not something new or 'trendy' since white woodwork has been around forever.

o

The reason why more of these houses aren't saved (particularly in this sort of neighborhood) can be pieced together from the text.

"Largely intact" "original" "pristine" are used at the same time as $400,000 and "thousands of hours".

If a rundown but mostly intact specimen that suffered benign neglect but no other real indignities has a $400,000 renovation budget and 1000s of hours spent by family and friends, one can only imagine the cost of restoring something that needs a lot of restoration.

That's the unfortunate reason more of this doesn't get done.

In the city, I recently looked at a house that is largely intact but has suffered benign neglect. The realtor asked me what I thought about budget, and I said $1M to make it look like it already does. Less to gut it and start over, but not much. She agreed. On top of the nearly $2M price tag (now $1.6), that puts it way out of reach of most people. (Me included by a longshot)

o

What an amazing house.. I am so in love with the paint effects.. The fabric finish in the dining room and the Green in the office is gorgeous!

o

Wow! I LOVE that beautiful house. The glass work over the front door is amazing. I was just meant to have a home like that but my purse doesn't come close to being deep enough. Sigh.....I guess I'll have to stay put.

o

Holly-kay, your comment brings to mind one of my favorite quotations: I've never been a millionaire, but I know I'd be just darling at it." Dorothy Parker

;)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here