Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melle_sacto_gw

Is this old table (coffee table?) worth making nice again

We brought this home from my parent's front porch; my dad acquired it as the "bench" to a piano (he buys/sells used pianos) but didn't want it. I thought we could use it as a bench for our dining table, but it ended up not working out because the top is wobbly and too wide for a bench (we tried it for a few months).

I kind of like it, though. I've been using it as a prep table next to my sewing machine. Sometimes I push it into the living room to use as a coffee table, too.

The finish is really beat up. Just the couple months of using it as a bench "sanded" off quite a bit from the top. My DH is not loving it at all, especially with all the flaking finish and wobbly top. I don't blame him, but I keep thinking with some TLC it would be a nice unique table.

So what do you think, fix up or donate? Paint or stain? I have transitional/eclectic going on in the living room, so I think it works LOL! The price was right (free) ;-)

Comments (21)

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I like it, A LOT! It actually wouldn't take much to make it look nice. I would chose to paint it. It looks like there is a grooved border around it that you could use as a margin to add a stenciled border around the outside of the groove. It sounds like you have found a few places that you can use it so it seems to be a functional piece. Good luck and post pics if you go forward with it.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    10 years ago

I think it's wonderful! I'd fix it up in a heartbeat. Is the top veneer or solid - can you tell? I ask to see if it could be sanded. The top's wobble could probably be taken care of easily.

I Googled Kiel, and found that a company which started as A A Laun, changed it's name to Kiel in 1907. I can't seem to get the page to advance so I can read more, but what I can see says that order cancellations came in during the great Crash of 1929, so it comes from an old company.

I also found this great vintage ad for the company. If the table was mine, I'd fix up the table, buy the ad and keep it near the table, maybe in a simple frame.

What are the dimensions of it? It almost looks like a library table.

Here is a link that might be useful: 1925 KIEL Furniture Co. Tables

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes the top has a grooved border. I never considered a stencil, that might be very interesting :-) Can stain be used to stencil? Or maybe paint/stain combo? The top definitely needs to be sanded. It's not veneer, it's some kind of reddish looking wood; the finish isn't red though, it's brownish.

That ad is really neat!

The table dimensions: the top is 44" x 18" and it's about 19" tall.

• blfenton
    10 years ago

I would fix ( actually for me, have it fixed up) that up in a heartbeat. I really like it and the measurements are a really nice and useful size.

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

I was going to say donate until I saw where you lived and realized I couldn't come get it.

So yes, refinish it! I absolutely LOVE it. I can see it done Restoration Hardware style. If you don't love it once done, I bet you can easily sell it for a profit.

• busybee3
    10 years ago

that's about a foot longer than our piano bench!
    it could also be a great end of the bed bench for a queen size bed!
    or we have several windows which are ~ 21" from the floor- it could make a nice under the window table for plants...

so, yes, i think it's worth making nice again!

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    10 years ago

I also think it has an 'RH' look. It especially makes me think of the one linked below.

If you can fix (or get fixed) the wobble, you could even buy foam for the top and upholster it and use it as a bench.

That table has SO many possibilities that I am drooling with envy!

Here is a link that might be useful: Click to Zoom Shown in brown acacia. 17th C. Monastery Coffee Table

• caminnc
    10 years ago

I love it as well. I think it would make a wonderful coffee table in a "RH" finish like my3dogs suggested. Score!!!

• badgergal
    10 years ago

I was able to read all the pages on the companies website. The company was actually started in Kiel, WI in 1892 and was known as Kiel Manufacturing. It almost closed as the result of the Panic of 1893 but businessman JB Laun invested a large amount of money to keep it afloat. In 1907 they changed their name to Kiel Furniture Company. They opened a second plant in Milwaukee, WI in 1910. J.B.'s brother A.A. Laun ran the Milwaukee plant. Both location grew and expanded in the 20's. The Great Depression lead to the closure of the Milwaukee plant in 1932. A.A. Laun brought all the operations back to Kiel and renamed the company the A.A.Laun Furniture Company.
    According to the website "Today A. A. Laun provides up to date designs in a wide range of styles and finishes. We are known as a leader and innovator of functional furniture and unusual accent pieces. Currently, we are expanding our selection of wood finishes and adding antique color paints and glazing options"
    So since your table has the Kiel Furniture Company Milwaukee, WI stamp on the bottom, it appears that it was made in Milwaukee and would than date back to some time prior to 1932.
    Your member page indicates that you are in CA if that is correct, your table has traveled along way from where it was made.
    I think you should definitely make it nice again. I have seen lots of great furniture rehabs on this site. Your table could be added to that list.
    Good luck. Will be waiting to see how it turns out.

• bullydosmom
    10 years ago

It's so cool! Definitely worthy of your time and attention. Me I'd refinish the top a couple of shades darker than it is now and paint the bottom.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow I never thought I'd be one of the people here with a freebie that is considered a fab score ;-)

I'll be mulling things over in the back of my mind for now, but definitely not going to let DH to convince me it's too junky to keep! I like it a lot, and can imagine keeping it for many years.

If any of you saw my other post, then you saw that I have another large project taking priority over this one (new beds to paint for my boys). But while I'm managing the bed project, I will be making plans for the table.

• peegee
    10 years ago

I recognized it as soon as I saw the picture!! My mother had this exact table. My3dogs is right - ours was a library table my mother had cut down to coffee table height. I always liked it and was disappointed movers damaged it.

• Fori
    10 years ago

It looks like a good candidate for a refinish to me too. I'd stain it and put a piece of glass on it so it would be invincible (after fixing the wobble, of course!).

After all, it's GUARANTEED quality! You can't beat that.

• franksmom_2010
    10 years ago

It looks like the top is just screwed to the base. Will tightening the screws fix the wobble?

I would absolutely refinish that. Strip, sand lightly, +/- stain, and a good quality wipe-on varnish.

Original Author
    10 years ago

badgergal -- > Thanks for finding so much info about the company. I didn't realize they had changed their name, I thought they went out of business after the Depression.

peegee -- > That's really interesting there was a twin! Do you think this table was also a library table at one point? I can't really tell if it has been modified, but if it were taller then I never would have come to acquire it because it wouldn't be bench-height ;-)

fori -- > I kept wondering how you knew it was guaranteed quality, but I get it now. Thanks for the smile!

franksmom -- > when we first brought it home, DH tightened it up and it seemed quite sturdy. But over the months of daily use as a dining table bench (by 8 and 4 year old boys) it started getting rickety again. Some, maybe all, of the screws and wing nuts are corroded, so they should probably be replaced. We didn't do much to it because DH hated it and I wasn't sure if we were going to keep it. But it grew on me, even though it couldn't be used as a bench.

• Jess TKA
    10 years ago

I love it, too. I'm definitely not opposed to painting wood furniture but, in this case, I'd be more inclined to sand and stain rather than paint.

Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm leaning toward sand/stain too, and probably trying to keep it similar to what it is right now. The wood is so red, but the "stain/varnish" is definitely a medium brown. I don't like it to show that red color, and I don't want it to be too dark. I feel like the color it is, currently, could work in a lot of rooms/decorating situations...in the event that we ever maybe move to a larger home ;-) Right now, the only two spaces for it are the way I use it now: a little prep table by my sewing machine or coffee table.

• Fori
    10 years ago

It looks like it's solid--if it is (or it it's the same wood species on the underside), do some test stains under the top. I like the color too, but getting the same overall intensity (of the mixed naked wood and dark stained wood) might take some trial and error.

It's nice with your floor, dontcha think?

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    10 years ago

It's not just a twin, but a triplet at least :)

I had the same table that needed only cleaning when I brought it home. I bought it at an antique store in Sellwood Oregon many years ago, part of a special they were having and I think I paid in the neighborhood of $100. There was the slightest twist or curve to the table top, as though it had possibly been stored someplace with high humidity at one time, very hard to notice, didn't deter me from buying it.

I used it in a guest room for books, place to sit an overnight bag, folded throw if a guest had chilly feet, and - just because I liked it.
    When I added a small home office space to one end of that room, I sent the table to an estate sale my SIL had arranged for her MILs things. The estate company doing the sale priced the table at $150 and sold it for me.

I just looked to see if I had a receipt still with any kind of descriptive name for the table but haven't come up with one yet, I may not have it but will look again later.

• HU-255622583
    2 years ago

I have this exact table with the original Kiel tag glued to the underside! Original purchaser got it in 1920 or so when she got married at that time. Solid wood, butterfly leaf tucked under the top layer.

I'd not paint it.... maybe have a professional refinish to top. It'll last for decades!!

Deez