Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

My Unfitted Unmatched Beachhouse Vintage Kitchen

mtnrdredux_gw
9 years ago

Apologies for the lengthiness --- of the process and the post!

One of the reasons I loved our 1904 beachhouse when we first looked at it, almost exactly a year ago, was that no one had redone the kitchen. Forget, "redone", I am not sure if anyone had ever even "done" the kitchen actually, with its rather bizarre layout (it had only a drysink in the kitchen proper, next to a washer and dryer?). We had the PO remove the huge black woodstove (sorry no photos of the beauty, who sat where the fridge is now).

I wanted our kitchen to look like it was done maybe in the 30s or 40s, without any great care for design, and then haphazardly updated from time to time. Eclectic, vintage-y, casual, with a bit of beachy.

Everyone was so helpful and patient with my many many posts as I worked on this project, so, thank you. My biggest inspiration was the Mousehole kitchen (thank you KSWL for posting that one - link below!), and I copied their run fairly closely. A big shout out to Pal, who assuaged my disappointment with having to have a range hood by coming up with a design that disappears, and for understanding eclectic, and helping me with decisions big and small. The only thing greater than Pal's talent is his kindness.

So, here we go.. 1) the before and 2) the layout and 3) the after and 4) the details (for those still awake).

Kitchen and Butler's Pantry before:
{{gwi:1783313}}

{{gwi:1783315}}

{{gwi:1783316}}

Layout:
(no walls moved, but we put in two new windows in different spots)

After:

{{gwi:1783319}}

{{gwi:1783320}}

{{gwi:1783321}}

{{gwi:1783322}}
{{gwi:1783323}}
{{gwi:1783324}}
{{gwi:1783325}}

{{gwi:1783326}}

Details:
The sink is vintage with a custom wood base and a linen/grograin skirt.
There are two FP Tall dishdrawers, to the right of the sink in the K and the sink in the BP.
The fridge is Northstar, and DH chose the color!
The stove is CornueFe Albertine.
Our GC did the custom carpentry for the BP sink base cabinets )great job of matching the existing), and for the d/w skin in the Kitchen (sort of faux file cabinet) and the custom table to the right of the stove (on hidden wheels, no less).
The tile B/S is Subway Ceramics.
The floors are painted wood (we took up linoleum).
The clamshell sconces are Rejuvenation, pendants are Ballard.
The spoon wall paper is Anthropologie.
The tile counter in the BP is a custom color by I forget who.
The table, which we love love, is a Shaker workshops kit that DH put together.
The chairs are Serena and Lily.
The worktable is topped with a slate remnant; the d/w in the K is topped with Boos butcher block.

PS A shout out to ArlosMom for her wonderful sink, which we got from her. I think your sink is happy here! We loved seeing your home, Arlosmom, which was just absolutely gorgeous, and wish you all the best in your new digs! (Oh and the faucet on the sink is wrong; its being switched for a shorter one!)

Edited (twice) when I figured out the layout was an old version!

Here is a link that might be useful:

This post was edited by mtnrdredux on Sun, Aug 24, 14 at 19:08

Comments (66)

• Boopadaboo
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

It is lovely!

• teacats
    9 years ago

Brillant outcome and transformation!!!

A happy, charming and most welcoming place -- and just great for hosting LOTS of family and friends!!!

Very well done indeed! :)

LOVE the wallpaper -- very cool!!! :)

• tuesday_2008
    9 years ago

Beautiful!! You achieved your goal. That wallpaper is the icing on the cake - looks like the lady of the house might have wanted to "freshen up the pantry" back in the fifties or somewhere in that era.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

So interesting to see the inspiration and the reality...well done!

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Ahhhh Mtn, it is as beautiful as I knew it would be. Totally charming.

Pal, what a stupendous job you did on the range hood. it literally disappears.

• deegw
    9 years ago

I was scrolling down and singing "An-tic-a-pa-tion".

Homey and charming and functional. Reminds me of the main kitchen in the Biltmore. LOVE the fridge. Congrats!

• lizbeth-gardener
    9 years ago

WOW! You really did a terrific job-redoing, but not looking redone, maintaining the feel of a homey and vintage kitchen. I love the wallpaper-looks like it could have been original and just makes the BP feel like grandma's house. And love the aqua tile counter top and the fridge and am especially impressed with the subtlety,design and workmanship of the range hood (nod to Pal) Looks like your GC also did a quality job bringing your ideas to life. You must be pleased with the outcome. Enjoy!

• zippity1
    9 years ago

oh, i love it you did a great job....
    you were so lucky to find it in good enough shape to work on....
    and it's such a wonderful size

• sable_ca
    9 years ago

Wonderful! I am in awe of the discipline required to create this kitchen; it would have been so easy to go another way, modern and/or adding this and that.

Three favorite things: the delightful wallpaper, used sparingly, and perfect in the cabinet; that lovely turquoise tile in the BP; and the vintage sink, which is a powerful memory for me, exactly like the sink in the apartment in which I grew up, and learned to cook and clean up under the tutelage of my mother. who saw no reason to update something if it worked well for her.

Hoping that you'll enjoy your kitchen for years to come, Mtn!

• patricianat
    9 years ago

It is very sweet. You have used very good judgment from begin to end. You seem to be able to see the end result when you set out. I was not sure about the wallpaper you chose when you first showed us and now that I see it in situ, I think it is a must-have item you chose which just takes it to a sweet place for tea cakes and fire flies in summer. It is charming, yet sophisticated. You have done a spectacular job.

• jrueter
    9 years ago

I know this project was a lot of work, but I think it really does read as beautifully "haphazard" with a very comfortable esthetic. Well done!

• patricianat
    9 years ago

It is very sweet. You have used very good judgment from begin to end. You seem to be able to see the end result when you set out. I was not sure about the wallpaper you chose when you first showed us and now that I see it in situ, I think it is a must-have item you chose which just takes it to a sweet place for tea cakes and fire flies in summer. It is charming, yet sophisticated. You have done a spectacular job.

• hhireno
    9 years ago

Lovely. I want to pull up a chair for a quick sandwich break before heading back out to the beach.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Mtn, the kitchen and BP pics exceed expectations-well, a bit. I think everyone knew it would be lovely. Pal's range hood-fabulous. He is right that it pretty much disappears despite being a massive element. I think you achieved your vision as you articulated it.

The sink in the kitchen is the stuff of dreams (glad to read your aside to Alosmom about the faucet). :)

Also, I have to say that I was totally wrong about the wallpaper. It does look like something that might have been added in the 40s-50s and is perfect the way you have used it!

All in all, perfection. I am envisioning it filled with laughing kids and lots of joy!

• peony4
    9 years ago

This is wonderful, mtn--thanks for sharing!

I would never have guessed the BP sink base cabs were new--your GC did a fine job there. And love the aqua tile counter. It all looks authentic. I don't even miss the marmo floor... the painted wood is very nice!

• bonnieann925
    9 years ago

It's lovely and so suiting to the house. The turquoise is a nice touch of color. My favorite is the hidden DW's-so well done!

• amck2
    9 years ago

What a perfect execution of an inspired remodel. Hard to add more to all the comments above. The wallpaper is my favorite touch.

Thanks for sharing the journey and the great results. I love your kitchen!

• CaroleOH
    9 years ago

Wow, I think everything you did looks great. Updated but still has the original feel of the house. I too love your wallpaper choice.

Simple and understated but very nicely done.

Question! Is that butcher block on top of your cabinet the one in question that you are afraid guests will use to cut on? I guess I can see how nice it is, but it is only a matter of time - patina is a good thing.

• arlosmom
    9 years ago

I'm thrilled to see your post! I've been waiting patiently. The sink looks fabulous. And yes, I think she's happy there. I just woke DH up from a nap on the couch to show him...he's impressed as well. The kitchen came out exactly as you described your vision. I think it will be even more marvelous once it gets a little patina from wear and tear...a perfect wabi sabi kitchen! I hope you have many, many happy times there.

Sis2two, we're moving to the west coast. DH was offered an early retirement, so we're off on a new adventure. I'm sure I'll be asking for help on a few items in the next couple of months as we settle into our new old house.

• yayagal
    9 years ago

perfection, the painted floor is soooo perfect for the time. you nailed it. broken wrist=awful typing

• gsciencechick
    9 years ago

Love it all with the unfitted look, but the butler's pantry is my favorite spot. You know I like the fridge color. :)

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

Mtn, you've taken lemons and made lemonade, a perfect, non perfect beach house!!! LOVE the utencil wallpaper. Seeing how it all came together is always amazing!

• DLM2000-GW
    9 years ago

Perfect! I would be tempted to do something illegal for that sink!!

• lovestowalk
    9 years ago

You did an amazing job. I love so many things about it. The wallpaper, painted floor, stove, fridge, sink ... the list goes on and on. Just beautiful.

Thanks for sharing!!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    9 years ago

It's just perfect, you did such a wonderful job!

• mdln
    9 years ago

Great job!

Am convinced an unfitted kitchen is more difficult to complete. Pic below is my favorite kitchen. When I mentioned to my builder (who was getting tired of my cabinet indecision) that I liked unfitted kitchens, he didn't even know what I meant.

• Bethpen
    9 years ago

What a treat for a Friday night! I was almost afraid to look, I didn't realize how invested I was in your kitchen!

The range hood is brilliant. I just love how that run looks, the soapstone topped piece is my favorite. You did a terrific job.

Thank you so much for sharing your process with us. I learn so much and really enjoy watching the process unfold from afar.

Beth

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bethpen, Thank you! I think the range hood has become a favorite element. One thing that works IMHO is that it isn't really just a range hood; it connects the two windows and lights/ventilates the area in between. To me that somehow makes it more interesting. And by getting bigger, it oddly, became less noticeable. Thx again to Pal!

I have to run (guests), i just hopped on because I noticed I had the wrong (old) layout. Will be back later!

• gsciencechick
    9 years ago

Forgot to mention in earlier post, I've never seen that style of chair before. Would like to hear more about those. Enjoy your evening.

• allison0704
    9 years ago

Everything looks great!

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

What fun! You did a wonderful job, Mtn. I can just see your family making many summers of beach memories with this kitchen in the heart of it all. Especially love the butler's pantry and how you were able to keep and match those wood elements. And the soapstone cabinet next to that great range and hood. Your DH did a great job with the Shaker table.

• bbstx
    9 years ago

Fantastic! I've been waiting for this one, and it was worth the wait.

• Laurie
    9 years ago

Beautiful!!
    I love everything... especially the linen/grosgrain skirt and the painted wood floor.

• teeda
    9 years ago

I have been waiting and waiting to see this kitchen! I love it! You nailed the feel you were going for, IMO. Perfect for this house. I loved the the way you saved and used some of the original cabinetry, and the wallpaper works so well with it! Love the pop of turquoise the fridge brings, and the tiled hood looks like it could have been there forever. Great work, thanks for sharing!

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

Love. My favorites are the wallpaper (funny how many of us are responding to this), the Shaker table, and the sink. I want that sink.

Congratulations!

• MarinaGal
    9 years ago

This is a wonderful reinterpretation of the kitchen - so true to the character of the house yet full of delightful surprises. My favorite features are the butler's pantry - every detail, the wallpaper, the awesome sink, and the range hood. Pendants were a great selection I think. It's really special and I know from experience how difficult it is to put a new spin on a kitchen in an old house. Enjoy!

• shopping101
    9 years ago

Love, love, love your kitchen! I am drooling over the stove, sink, refrigerator, table... It all looks fabulous.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

It's just lovely. A brilliant mix of old and new, timeless, comfortable, eclectic and unique, without obviously "trying to hard." Love how well the Parisian chairs work with the Shaker table.
    Reminds me of my grandparents' kitchen.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Mtn, are you putting the old kitchen table and benches anywhere? If not and you are interested in selling, please do send me an email. I like the look of them and have just the spot! :)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Nosoccermom, If it reminds you of your grandma's kitchen , I have succeeded! Thank you. I like the chairs and table very much, too! Not an obvious pairing but it's casual, light, and functional for us.

Shopping101, Laurie, BBSTX, Holly-Kay,Allison, Bumblebeez, LovestoWalk, Patty_cakes, LAzygardens, RGPS, Voila, Sis2Two, Sprout,Boopadoo, Teacats, Tuesday, thank you!

Marinagal. "reinterpretation"; i like that! Thanks.

SueB, Thanks!
    The Shaker table is a kit from the Shaker Workshops is Ashburnham. It is so pretty! And DH said it was very easy to put together because each piece was so well fabricated... and the instructions were written by native English speakers, for a change.

WMA, Thank you! We were lucky to have the built-in hutch and the BP; I think they really ground the space.

Outside, Thanks! DH really enjoyed "building" and finishing the table and I think it makes it a bit more
    special

Gscience, I think it is called a French bistro chair, and you do in fact see them in French cafes all the time. The imported versions are very very pricey, but there are a lot of knockoffs. I think they are all a rattan/wood base with woven plastic seats and backs. Pretty indestructible, and lots of choices of patterns and colors. They are strudy but not too heavy to pick up and move around. We have actually used them on verandah when we had parties. I've linked the source below.

Mdln, I think the GCs here had never done an unfitted kitchen. But the carpenters got into it, since they were making things from scratch I think they found it interesting. Love the photo!

DLM, LOL. They make a new one (with legs) that is very similar, but I wanted old.

Yaya, I am so sorry about your wrist. Ouch. I really really wanted a Marmoleum checkboard floor in white and grey faux marble. But it doesn't exist. What they call white marble, is very pinky orange. I wrestled with the flooring decisions until I fell for this image (below). It is hard to imagine a less practical floor but we will see how it goes! If I end up wanting something else, it'll probably be something fun from Harvey Maria UK vinyls (which I used in a hall bath and love love)

Arlosmom, thank you! Too funny about DH. I did not know you were moving coasts! WOW! That is so exciting. Keep us posted.

CaroleOh, Thank you, that is exactly what we wanted. I do agree patina is a good thing. That's one reason I like antiques! But those first few marks ... are ugly ducklings, alas. I am working on it. Counselling may help. : )

Wow, Amck, how very kind of you!

BonnieAnn, Thank you! The one in the K is copied from the bottom half of a Paula Deen (?!) cabinet, to wit:

Peony, Yes, we were very happy with the GC's work. Although not so much the price. The end result cost --- now stop me if you've heard this before! -- twice as much as the estimate. I always think we will do better next time! My tile person was totally flummoxed on the countertop; she had never had anyone order a tile countertop. They are so out out out!

Cyn, Patricia, Thank you for your kind sentiments! As far as the wallpaper, I don't think many people liked it in concept. I was worried, as I do seem to have an inner junior high student who picks silly things sometimes. But I was pretty sure all the wood would tone it down, and I love it now. The paper is amazing; my installer says the repeat is over 36'! A close up:

HHIreno, : )

Sable_CA, Interesting, but discipline may be a good word for it! I never grew up with a sink like that, but they are so homey, aren't they! Thanks.

Okokok, I agree, it was lucky to have no structural issues, and a large blank slate. I love the size and the fact that it is NOT open plan, as so many houses we looked at were...

Lizbeth, Thank you! Agreed, the range hood is a coup.

Deee! I just toured the Biltmore for the first time last Spring, and we lingered forever in those fabulous kitchens. Very much the look we wanted! Accidental beauty in utilitarianism! Thank you so much.

Errant, Thanks. You are right, it is handy for the drainboards, which i do a lot of prep on! But it's a disaster for washing out a mixing bowl!

Pugga, Yes, Cornwall! I love the whole space.

HoovB, Isn't it cool? I wanted that to-the-ceiling tile look from vintage kitchens. As simple as possible. I think using very flat old school tile helped too, with very thin grout lines.

Sochi, I am glad you thinkwe nailed it! UNfitted is fun!

Buysbee, Yeah, the mock up was just a cut and paste photo I found, I never intended much pattern on the sink. Although talk about impratical! : )

KSWL, Thanks! We are so happy with it too. I think the fridge is probably my fave; can't believe it was DH who told me not to be such a baby and go for it!

Suero, I like it! Of course, it is still pretty modulated!

Pal, The hood is a wonder. Subtle but defines the room IMHO. A stainless number would have a totally different feel, as would something elaborate in wood. I love it.
    As for the wallpaper, originally it was only in the cabinet back in the BP; then I brought the guy back and had him do more. Everyone loves the whimsy and trying to find the repeat!

Roarah, Between the built in hutch, BP, a closet in the K, a closet in the DR, we have tons of storage (every day service for 14 and good china for 16). So unfitted does not mean lack of storage for our layout. I will tell you the one issue; spacing between elements. That is why the worktable is on wheels, to clean the floor.
    However, the space on either side of the DW will probably end up bring a cleaning nightmare. For a house used only a few months a year, and in a setting where we grill most of our food, probably no biggie. For everyday, I would want to create a design that addressed that problem/risk.

Annie, My post is already long enough, but I did find a line up of before/inspiration/mockup/after very interesting to look at!

Here is a link that might be useful: French bistro chairs/settees/stools

• suero
    9 years ago

I keep going back to the before and after photos of the BP. Wow! Just wow!. It's a so much happier place. The color and patterns have made that room come alive.

• rockybird
    9 years ago

Absolutely love it! I would love to have a kitchen like this. I am very jealous of your butler pantry. The kitchen table and chairs and blue refrigerator are great! It reminds me a little of the kitchen in the movie "it's complicated" except yours is more cheery. Great job!

• larecoltante Z6b NoVa
    9 years ago

Beautiful! I love the painted floors even though I first thought marmoleum would be perfect. I'm late to your celebration, but had to chime in!

• Gooster
    9 years ago

Congraulations! It so great to see your sketches and collages come to life.

I agree the range hood really pulls that area together and seems almost like photos of older manor homes. I also love how the DW turned out in the kitchen.

• Arapaho-Rd
    9 years ago

Mtn, you certainly have a talent for envisioning what you want and pulling it all together. Looks fantastic! Enjoy.

• ohgoodness
    9 years ago

Really nice! So unique. I think that is a hard look to design, but you did a great job. Love the wall paper and glad you kept the butler's pantry cabinets. Those are special. Hope you enjoy!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

KEW, Thank you. We kept pretty much anything that looked original to the house; after all that's why we buy old houses!

Arapaho, Thank you.

Gooster, Thanks. My GC hadn't tiled a hood before and wasnt sure how to make it so simple; no trim, etc., but I insisted on a certain look and they delivered.

Lare, I so badly wanted Marmoleum checkerboard! It confounds me they offer so few colors.

Thanks, Rockybird! --- I will have to go look at that movie!

Suero, Thank you, it IS a happy place!

• schoolhouse_gw
    9 years ago

Some kitchens just say, "I could be there". sigh. love the feel of spaciousness and simple lines.

• Kiwigem
    9 years ago

Schoolhouse, exactly! I am instantly transported to that table with a cup of coffee- and a light dusting of sand on the floor! :-) I love it! Enjoy it, Mtn!

• Imhappy&Iknowit IOWA zone 4b
    9 years ago

Your kitchen turned out just exactly what I wanted! I'm pretty happy with mine but at the time, other "hot" ideas predominated on the kitchen forum and I wasn't smart enough to come here. I'm a wallpaper person. I was totally out of my element there. I remember when you were looking for fabric for the sink skirt and I can still see your mock up of the sink wall. The wall lights are perfect. I considered them, I think I still have one in my stash, but I went for porcelier fixtures. Anyway, we would have been an awsum combination kicking around ideas for my kitchen. I would have done your hood.