Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christinaplus6

My greige ended up being lavender :(

Christinaplus6
9 years ago

I usually spend so much time and effort picking out paint for my home. I bring home loads of swatches and watch them throughout th a day and have them in all the different areas that get different light and next to furniture, etc. But this time......I just picked a good looking greige colour for my kitchen straight from the store (I was I a rush since we had visitors coming on very short notice and our walls were terrible from demo). I am going to repaint them for sure. I can't have a lavender kitchen. Especially since I have Bianco antico granite with a bit of pink in it. It just looks too froo froo. So, now that I have a bunch of samples I'm not sure whether I should be going with greige or a cream colour. My cabinets are white, my granite reads like a grey and I have beige tiles unfortunately (will be changing those someday but the granite wiped us out financially for a while). I was thinking a greige would bring the grey and beige together....complement them both which would allow them to coexist. Am I crazy? There is also cream in the granite....which complement s beige....so, a cream colour would complement all of them .....I don't know. I wish I could just have wood floors in there....but my 6 kids are constantly causing small floods.
I need help.

This post was edited by Christinaplus6 on Thu, Aug 28, 14 at 12:55

Comments (18)

• Christinaplus6
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Closer picture of granite colour.

• Christinaplus6
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Easier to see the lavender hue here

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    9 years ago

I'm not sure that a greige will blend the grey and the beige features together in your kitchen :-( I think I'd choose the cream, to help with the beige tiles, and let your greyish granite countertop stand out since it's so pretty!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

can you post a broad pic of the whole room?

• BungalowMonkeys
    9 years ago

For some reason the photo is not loading for me. Not sure if it is my ipad or the forum. My favorite greige, that is classic and goes both warm or cool, is revere peweter by Benjamin Moore. I've never seen it not work in a room. Truly is a perfect neutral.

My other favorite which is more of a beige greige is Accesible Beige by Sherwin Williams. Just painted most my main living spaces this color. It is a good neutral, but not as versitile as Revere Pewter.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pinterest paint colors

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Sorry, my question got posted before you put the big pic up.

I wouldn't paint it any of those colors. I'd paint it either BM Midsummer Night or Sherwin Williams Crimson Red. Very limited wallspace = bold color, which makes your cabinets and granite look amazing.

• violetwest
    9 years ago

very pretty kitchen, and I like the paint color. It doesn't look "lavender" to me.

• Christinaplus6
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'll post a larger picture that includes the other side of the room. There is a LOT of wall space on that side. I'm not a very bold person so bold colours scare me :/

KSWL, that is exactly why the lavender is so bad! It didn't look that way before I painted my walls! The walls are making my granite look lavender.

Melle_sacto, I was really leaning towards the cream. I can just hear my mother saying how boring and washed out it is. But I love soft creamy spaces. Guess it just depends on your personality.

Sorry the photos are such bad quality. I think my lens must be smudged. I'm hoping to put shelving or something up on that wall.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

There's always BM Natural Cream, which is a true neutral.

• Christinaplus6
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hmmmm, I'll have to pick up a swatch of that.

• ardenspark
    9 years ago

Ack! I'm sorry! I do see the lavender but also agree that I see it in your granite as well.

I just did my kitchen and sunroom Perfect Greige by SW. Love it!

• Christinaplus6
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I also agree that I see it in my granite. It just wasn't there till all the walls surrounding it were lavender :( I don't want lavender granite :( I'll try to post a picture of the granite before the lavender was on the walls.

See, no lavender!

• oaktonmom
    9 years ago

99% of your granite butts up against the white backsplash. I don't see that the wall color should have that much effect on the granite. I do, however, think you've got enough gray going on with your granite, so I'd lean more toward painting with a color similar to the cream in your granite.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

How about something like Edgecomb Gray or even Manchester Tan? Or something like the tiles you have on the pic above? Or maybe just a creamy off-white?

• andee_gw
    9 years ago

If the cream paint is too pale, then there won't be enough contrast between your white cabinets and the painted surfaces. And there is a lot of white going on in there. Going by your photos, (and since you don't want intense color) I would choose a darker beige as in the photo of the tiles against the granite before you painted (as long as it is compatible with the floor).

• dakota01
    9 years ago

May I sugget a dark brown/grey color for your walls. I like a dark wall color with cream cabinets.

• dayglow_2000
    6 years ago

I also just painted my living room with Sherwin Williams Perfect Greige- i think the paint chip was 6073 - and now they look lavender, especially in the night time when out lamps are on. We have changed all of the light bulbs to pure white, which helps a little but we are extremely disappointed with the colour. It looks exactly perfect in photos, but in real life it definitely has a rose/lavendar hue :(

Sponsored
Interior Style by Marisa Moore
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars57 Reviews
Northern Virginia Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2013-2020!