Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help me choose color for front door

Posted by anitamo (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 28, 14 at 12:42

I can't make a decision, so have come to the experts! You have been so helpful to others with their quest for front door colors, and appreciate any advice you can give me. I am considering a muted orange, turquoise, black or leaving it white. It's only primed right now, but you get the idea of white.

The door, stone porch and stamped concrete sidewalk are all new. Ignore the landscaping for now. The door faces south, but I live in a very woody subdivision, so not much sun reaches this area. I want a color that fits well, but doesn't stand out awkwardly either. In my mind, I love MCM and am going in that direction, but I know it won't be completely authentic to that period.

What do you think? And if anyone wants to use their photoshopping skills, I would love that! Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help me choose color for front door

Hmmm… I see a color like this:

BM Kasbah/Vintage Charm

o

That's pretty tibbrix! I can add that my choices. Thank you.

o

I don't think I like the black or white. The orange could be interesting or a lime green/sage green color could be nice. Nothing too dark.

o

You have some red in your landscaping so I'd try a red or an orange.

o

On my monitor the new walkway appears to have a bit of pink. What colors are in the new stone porch? I could definitely see some warm terra cotta on the door with your brick work and roof if it doesn't clash with the stone.

o

How about a sandy pink?

o

Awm's sandy pink is definitely MCM, IMO.

I think the Kasbah/Vintage Charm would look great with the creamy ivory of the brick an the taupe of the eave, as well as the stone beside the door and the pinkish walkway. I think it kind of encompasses, and compliments, all the colors you've got going on there.

o

Thanks awm03 ! I was hoping you'd show up! :)) can you do your magic with a terra cotta orange? I'm not feeling the pink for some reason...my least favorite color. The sidewalk and porch floor are the same. The stone is in the taupe family. Thanks for everyone's input. It helps to narrow it down, and the orange family seems to be the favorite so far.

o

I like the oranges too. Here's Sherwin Williams Emotional Orange. Still looking for a more terra cotta-ish color...

o

I like the orange, perhaps a bit more toned down.

o

Here's Sherwin Williams Red Cent:

o

Here's Mandarin, lightened just a bit:

o

Here's a very rough version of Tibbrix color

This post was edited by hilltop on Thu, Aug 28, 14 at 15:38

o

Try BM Tandoori and Byzantine from their 'Fiery Sunset' collection.

o

Tandoori is gorgeous!

o

Byzantine is pretty too.

o

The Tandoori with a couple of turquoise planters would be really pretty.

o

If you're feeling wary about the bright colors, remember that your door is in shadow, which will gray down your paint color quite a bit. These mock-ups are much brighter than real life. Is there a can light overhead? That would make your door look fabulous at night.

o

White for the windows on each side of the door, and RED for the door.

This post was edited by eclair on Thu, Aug 28, 14 at 16:31

o

Awm, try BM Satchel AF-240

o

Tandoori is my favorite so far. Thank you for doing this awm03! When we first put the door up, I had it all planned to use BM Iron Mountain, but then got on the orange kick. I know it's only a door, but I agonize over paint colors. All my walls are white, except two accent walls in the iron mountain. Color is hard for me to choose.

Can you photoshop iron mountain awm03?
I appreciate everyone's input!!!

o

Any reason not red? I would like that best on your house.

o

I'd really like to see it in the Satchel. Hint, hint. Agree Tandoori is the best so far.

o

There's also the GORGEOUS BM Wenge.

o

A vote for white gloss white ..... with tall black planters with modern-looking grasses ......

..... then add a modern fountain in the front yard too .....

o

What color are the stone steps? i can't pull them close on my monitor.

o

Teacats...sounds like what I would normally do and I love your ideas. I thought I'd try to break out of the mold and do something unexpected.

Bumblebeez...red has come up a few times in this post and I'd never think red would go with what I have. Are you thinking a bright red or dark red? More food for thought.

Tibbrix...are those gray colors you mentioned? Glad you like the tandoori.

o

No. I think gray would be booooooooring. Zzzzzzzzz.

Here is the Satchel:

o

And here is the BM Wenge, a raisin-y brown

o

Wenge front door:

o

Iron mountain (not sure if this is as dark as it should be)

o

Gloss white/black planter

o

Red door/white trim

o

satchel

o

Wenge

o

Nope and nope. *Satchel and Wenge"

Tandoori best so far. I like the Iron Mountain too, which surprises me.

o

Love the Iron Mountain!

o

Actually, I think I do like the Wenge. In a high gloss, I think it would be beautiful.

Too bad there's no color called Claymore, because I bet that would be a gorgeous color.

o

I really like the Tandoori, and it reinforces the MCM feel. I think the photo of it posted does not show it how it will really look, as it will be in a recessed area that is normally in the shade. A dark color in such a space recedes even further, but the tandoori color will bring the door forward and be more inviting.

It's just a door, and if you don't like it, you can easily repaint it.

Lars

o

If I may suggest one more color... I like this acid yellow with the brick & the gray shingles. ( Remember, it's way more luminescent on the monitor than in real life) I experimented with bringing the shingle gray on to the gutters just to see how that would look.

But I'm beginning to see how pink the new walkway is, so maybe the yellow won't work, and maybe some of the other favorites above won't work in real life either. Anitamo will know what color will work better than any of us because she sees the whole picture & all the details too.

o

.lizbeth...The steps are the same color as the sidewalk.

Awm03... You have worked so hard on this and I am grateful! Seeing the colors like this helps narrow down my choices to tandoori and iron mountain. The red door looks like a deep orange to me and gives me a good idea how it will look, especially since I plan on keeping the sidelights white. I will be adding a storm door in full glass, too, so that will further diminish the strong color.
Tibbrix...the satchel is a contender, too.

Thanks so much everyone!

o

I love the iron mountain it just goes well with everything you have going on.
Second choice Wenge.

o

I like Iron Mountain and Wenge. Iron Mountain goes well with your siding and wenge compliments your yard and the overall feeling of your house. I think both are winners.

o

We used this subdued terra cotta color before: BM Onondaga clay. I don't know how to embed the picture!

o

clt3's BM Onondaga Clay

o

Red door/white trim! I think that pic looks fabulous. I understand that it might clash with the pinkish steps and walk, but it the picture it blends nicely and doesn't jump out at me.

Beautiful.

o

Can we see a pale turquoise? I also wonder whether an orange/coral might work.

Have to say I also really like that darker turquoise/teal, door no. 15.

Oh, and I just read some stagers advice to use a front door color that hints at the colors inside, i.e. what does your entry look like?

o

Agree with nosoccermom that that orange/coral would probably look great.

A coral and the Wenge would tie all the colors together, including the pink of the walkway and the steps.

o

I would like to see the entire door red.

o

I love the Tandoori, and the Iron Mountain does go well with your siding, but maybe too well and wouuld be too blah. The Onondaga Clay would be what I'd envision as the perfect terra cotta and I'd love to see some teal/turquoise/bright blue pots and accents. Even those pretty blue hydrangeas. A coral door, IMO would bring in too much pink.

o

Ok you guys...you're not making this easy! I love each of your suggestions! Guess it's time to order samples and try them on for size! The iron mountain is actually on an accent wall in the LR, so you'll see that wall when the door is left open. That's why I originally was positive I would use that color for the door.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here