Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jakkom

A rarity: MCM/Eichler/Collaboration

jakkom
9 years ago

A rare 1964 Eichler collaboration, first time for sale. Hillsborough is one of the "old money" areas south of San Francisco CA (people didn't just have houses, they had 'estates'). The slideshow has 13 photos, a beautiful example of upscale MCM.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rare example of Mid-century Modern/Hillsborough CA

Comments (12)

• violetwest
    9 years ago

Very nice!

My parents built a very, very similar mid-century modern home in Hillsborough, where I was born and raised. Not that one but built just a couple of years earlier, with an A-Frame like that. The living room was almost exactly the same as pictured, although we didn't have a pool. As a small child, all those picture windows and trees were very frightening!

My sister went by the house a few years ago and said the remodeling had ruined it -- tore out the deck, put a staircase in and other stuff not original to the house. Sad.

This post was edited by Violet.West on Mon, Aug 18, 14 at 12:46

• rockybird
    9 years ago

Beautiful. Absolutely beautiful.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

It's really very nice, and there is a "ceremonial" quality almost about some of the main rooms and their interconnection. This is something that has been lost in a lot of newer designs.

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

I'm a fan! Absolutely love the house, inside and out. Too bad about the price. :(

• Pipdog
    9 years ago

Rad house. Nice area too. Price is suspect given it needs some upgrades.

• sochi
    9 years ago

Gorgeous.

• Kiwigem
    9 years ago

Yes, please.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I used to live around the corner (but in a 100-year old Craftsman) - next time I'm in the neighborhood, I'm going to check it out. I wonder if they'll have an open house on Sunday.

• chucksmom
    9 years ago

pipdog, I really need to ask. What kind of upgrades do you think it needs?

• gsciencechick
    9 years ago

Yes, I'm curious, too.

I would like to see the bathrooms and closer views of the kitchen.

Nice house. The comments in the article are interesting. Clearly a lot of people do not like modern.

Violet, interesting that as a kid you thought it was scary. I guess too easy for a kid's imagination to go wild?

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

A lot of comments in a lot of open-commentary forums are going to be both negative and ignorant. They will usually lack grammar and punctuation, as well. Sometimes they don't even address the topic.

Neither does my post, but at least it's responsive to another post. I don't really get why every single article online needs to have a comments section. Was there one about Eichler having to answer to his Maker for daring to create such an abomination? There usually is.

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

I went to a party in that house !!!! It was cool.

Back in the 90s, when my sister lived in the bay area and was "moving and shaking"