Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anniedeighnaugh

A step closer to ahhhs...update

Annie Deighnaugh
10 years ago

Back in Sept. I asked about a new paint color for my bedroom...link is posted below. I so appreciate everyone's inputs and suggestions!

Here's an Update: After all this time and having 15 different paint chips taped to the walls all over the room, I finally did decide to try Pittsburgh's At the Beach. Very interesting result and it really shows how important the specific light is in the room to selecting colors.

So I spent the day painting, and here's the result. Not quite to AHH, but a definite step closer.

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

What is interesting is that I did not paint the walls in the window alcove or in the vanity area...those are still the original bone...the contrast shows up best in the vanity area. But when the sunlight hits it, the window alcove turns the same color as the new wall color. So while the new wall color is very similar, it has a hint of sunshine in it as opposed to a hint of gray, and the result is a much more warm and cozy feeling.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bedroom color: 1st thread

Comments (54)

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Not to highjack the thread, but how do you like Pittsburgh Paints?
    I stumbled into one of their stores and found Cookie Crumb, a creamy white.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I used their interior flat latex that had primer in it. It had very good coverage...but it was over a lighter color. Don't know how it would've done over a darker one. But I only needed one coat. The other thing is it seemed a little looser than the Ben Moore paints that I'm used to so it seemed to be slightly more prone to drips so I had to watch out for that. Otherwise it was just fine.

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

What a serene space! Love the alcoves and niches.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

I love the alcove with the window. So rare to see such a nice, substantial detail in a new build today!

• anele_gw
    10 years ago

Beautiful before and after! I say, "Ahhhhh!" for sure!

• boystown
    10 years ago

WOW----love what you have done. Looks fantastic!!!!

• satine_gw
    10 years ago

My Dad was a house painter both exterior and interior and he only used Pittsburg paints. Of course he never used a roller-brushes only.
    Satine

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all for your kind words.

The architect originally suggested a bumped out window, but I said if we're going to do that, bring it to the floor and bump the whole thing out. He liked that too. I'm so glad we did. I'm also glad that I had the foresight to have the trim carpenter cut me a board that matched the arched opening ...made making the valance so much easier.

Brush only painting...that's a lot of work!

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Thank you for the info on the paint. No brushes only for me, though :)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've not been totally happy with the accent wall. It's too bright and not quite "aah" enough. So I've decided to wallpaper that wall. (Shhhh! For whatever reason, DH is not giving me a hard time about wallpaper on sheet rock!)

Anyway, I went looking today and didn't think I found anything until I came home and took a look. I'll need to look again in the morning, but I think this is going to be good.
    {{!gwi}}

I also found a fabric I really like for my easy chair, but I'm going to have to talk to upholsterer about it. It is certainly strong enough fabric, but the weave is a bit looser and I'm afraid sitting on it and all will pull the weave out of shape and I'll be unhappy. Especially since I want a self welt. I'll need his professional opinion....I'm so frustrated though as the fabric is soft, has a bit of a sheen and the weave is of both the soft blue and the gold and white tones...in other words, perfect.

• kswl2
    10 years ago

Annie I must be color blind. There is a big difference in the first set of before and after blues but I can't see any differences at all in the subsequent ones. Is it the same blue change? Beautiful bedroom!!

• Olychick
    10 years ago

I really like that wallpaper a lot. I think one of the things that would keep me from feeling ahhhh in that bedroom is all the different wall colors. Each is nice enough, but the constant change from wall to wall makes my eyes jump around trying to figure out where they should rest. Like in the picture of the sewing machine alcove, there are 3 or 4 different wall plus trim colors. I think the whole room would flow so much better if there was one color, with maybe a different color in the alcove? That wallpaper would look wonderful on all the walls of the alcove, I think, if the outer walls were all the same color

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

It's such a pretty room, Annie! Love the warm tan, but I'm very prejudice when it comes to tan. I have it thruout my house and never tire of it. It's much prettier with your blue too.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kswl, there is no change in the blue at all in any of the pics...it's just the way the light hits it. So what I want to do now is change from the blue to the wallpaper just on that one wall. The before and after pics above was going from BM bone to PPG at the beach which has a warmer, yellower undertone.

• kswl2
    10 years ago

Also love that wallpaper, It's subtle and lovely!

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

The wallpaper will look real nice. Love the alcove too.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I love it! It ties the beautiful warm sand tones with the blue. It will transition one to the other more softly than an abrupt wall color change. I love your room!

• yayagal
    10 years ago

I love the color, it's just that beautiful hint of sunniness that sets off the woodwork, it was a great choice.

• loribee
    10 years ago

It's beautiful Annie, truly....love the wallpaper as well.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And wouldn't you know it. Murphy's law clearly at work. To do the wall, I need 2.1 double rolls. So I have to buy that extra double roll for the few more inches. Grrrr!

• oldbat2be
    10 years ago

Is the accent wall, the wall over your bed? I think the colors you've picked in the wallpaper would look lovely but wonder whether the wallpaper might feel too wintery for a year round choice.

Love your gorgeous alcove with the afternoon sun. It gives such a feeling of tranquility.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, the accent wall is where the bed head is. Interesting that you should say wintery as the name is coral stripe. It's actually coral, not branches. I think the blue has a warm undertone and the gold will keep it warm for me. The white matches the trim color. So I'm good to go there, but appreciate your comment as it was something I hadn't considered and makes a good point.

If I do the wall, the tapestry has to go and I'll have to find something else in its place.

I will have enough to do the inside wall by the make up vanity as well. I'll decide that after I do the first wall. DH thinks it will be too choppy, but I think tying in that alcove better would be nice. But it's a tall, narrow wall and the stripes might make it more so.

• romy718
    10 years ago

Glad you're going to keep that chair. It looks so pretty in the alcove by the window. Love the wall paper, it looks very ahhh!

• kellienoelle
    10 years ago

Love the wallpaper. Question about the room, is the blue on two opposing walls? I can't tell if the blue is only behind the bed, there also appears to be a wall with a door in blue but maybe it is the same wall. Will one remain blue and one wallpaper? I'm inclined to think that the best way to achieve ahhhhhh is one wall in the wall papered and the rest in the same color (so I would paint the alcove and make up nook)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

There is just one blue wall...behind the bed and it has the door to the room in it.

• Olychick
    10 years ago

Oh, I thought there were two blue walls, too. If the wallpaper is going to eliminate all the blue, I think it will look wonderful and not so chopped up. If you put the paper only on one wall in the alcove, would you consider painting the other walls in there the same as the bedroom, to eliminate yet another color change?

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

I like the wallpaper! I can kind of see how the blue may be too bright. It's tough to go ahh without going blahhh.

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

Annie, does the wallpaper match the bedding etc.? It looks to be more of a wattery aqua-green sort of color, and not what I would call the French blue I see in the bedding. Are you thinking of changing it?

Here is a link that might be useful:

• Boopadaboo
    10 years ago

I really like that paint color. Do you mind if I pin it? Some time within the next year I will probably paint the house a calmer color for resale (and us, who knows if we will ever sell! :) )

Funny - on my laptop I don't notice the color change as much as I did at home on my monitor.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you boop...pin away!

Aah not blah...love it!

Patty, the bedding is staying IRL the color on the wallpaper sample looks good.

• Pipdog
    10 years ago

that sunny alcove is just perfect! what a relaxing room.

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

I like it! I wanted to see the chip but can't find a color deck in the house. It looks a lot like the Antique White I just used. Did you use their Manor Hall line? I like the way that one goes on.

And I LOVE that wallpaper choice.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes I did use the Manor Hall product.

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

Love the wallpaper choice. I've been traveling, and on my iphone I couldn't discern any difference in your before and after pics. Even on my computer, the difference is very very subtle. I think it might be one of those changes that are best evaluated IRL. The whole room though just exudes serenity.
    What comes across on my monitor as really bright is the blue. I think the wallpaper will be lovely in there.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

As part of the wall paper process will be fixing up that whole wall. I hung the tapestry as it was what I had...same with the lamps. I remember Bronwynsmom said I had them too close to the bed, so those will be moved when I get new ones.

I'm looking at these...which does anyone prefer?
    Charleston

Kenroy Mackinley

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

I think I like the Kenroy McKinley a bit better, although in your room and with the wallpaper I think you may prefer a white shade instead of the linen texture.

Looking back at your room, is that one of those metal chandeliers with the painted flowers twining round the arms? I love those, and really want to find an old one to spray paint and put into my studio over my sewing machine.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, the chandelier is metal with glass flowers. Not old by any means though...I was bought new as part of the house build.

I also bought clear and colored glass fixtures with flowers and leaves for my PR...kind of a fantasy space.

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

Oh, I didn't mean to imply that yours was a CG find or old. But for my sewing studio I can't justify the expense of the really nice new ones, and I think an old one might be fun and funky spray painted. Layla Grayce has a blue painted one on their website, that if expense were no object I'd own in a heartbeat.

Those are fun lights in your PR.
    I notice that you have a ceiling fixture and an over the mirror fixture. How large is your PR and how high is the ceiling?
    I was in ours yesterday, the framing is up and they have the sheathing on ceiling as they're framing the second floor. I looked up in there, and was wondering about adding a ceiling light. It just doesn't seem like the over the mirror light is going to be enough.

Also, there is a fixture in a downtown antique consignment shop here that I need to get a picture of for you. It's a classic arm chandelier with some crystals, but it's got jewel tone cabochon crystals built in to it. It's not tacky although the description sounds like it.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh I know...I would've loved to go vintage, but I was working and traveling and building at the same time and didn't have the time to look for vintage, esp with tradesmen breathing down my back.

In my craft room, I didn't want to spend a lot in there decided form over function so went with 3 large fluorescent fixtures. More like a work room. I never really thought about adding bling to the room, but it's a terrific idea.

My PR is about 5' x 5' 6". I find the ceiling fixture is used all the time but its more fancy than bright. The wall fixture is very bright but on a dimmer, so we crank it up for cleaning, but dim it a lot and leave it on for co. to find their way in the evening...it's an interior space with no natural light.

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

I like the Kenroy McKinley better too.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So I went to Osgood and must have looked at over a thousand bolts of fabric, and I finally bought one for my chair...it was ok. It feels nice, it's a velveteen that is similar to my wall color so it definitely goes. It's kind of bland and nothing exciting, but I'm debating about using it anyway as a) I can make it work with pillows and such; b) a solid light color will work in different rooms in the future too as opposed to a print or something too blue; and c) I have no idea where else to go or look and I want to get it done already. So I'm still mulling. I hate having bought the fabric and not using it, but I'll be going fabric shopping again with GF who's looking for valances, so maybe I'll find something yet. Who knows? But I mean if Osgood doesn't have it, who will? Sigh.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Very pretty, Annie. I would use the extra wallpaper in the closet if there is enough, or maybe as drawer lining. It is absolutely lovely.

• lynninnewmexico
    10 years ago

Lovely, Annie! To me, the After looks fresh, crisp and romantic. Can't wait to see what you add to this pretty mix!
    Lynn

This post was edited by lynninnewmexico on Wed, Feb 12, 14 at 21:57

• kswl2
    10 years ago

I like the charleston lamp. The other seems too much like those wall sunbursts, iykwim. The first shape is a classic.

• zen4d
    10 years ago

Your bedroom is so ahhhh, so peaceful, serene. Those are my favorite bedroom colors. Annie, would you mind sharing where you bought your bedding.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

All those fabrics. I'd be there still, on the floor sobbing quietly in frustration. I need my choices to be curated and edited!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Zen4d, I believe it was Chris Madden from jcp.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Haha mtnrd! I would've been on the floor too...in a sleeping bag so I could've kept on shopping the next a.m.

• Jamie
    10 years ago

wow Osgood! Is the whole place full of fabric? What a feast.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

They have a small room up front where they sell blinds and such. The rest of the entire building is fabrics, floor to ceiling all along the outside walls with many many aisles in between. The picture only shows part of the place. It is truly ginormous. They name some of the aisles for the fabrics they have in them...richloom, robert allen, duralee...other areas are labeled for what they contain...silks, vinyls, quilting cottons, etc. But the vast majority of it is left for one to explore, including remnant bins where you can find lots of great stuff for cheap. While I may not be totally happy with the fabric I bought, it is a good quality upholstery fabric and was only $16/yd. So their prices are reasonable too.

My Mom was a real fabriholic, having sewn since she was a little girl, and she used to teach sewing as well. I surprised her on our first visit there and she literally hyperventilated at the sight of the place. It's really something.