Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennifer5508

Need help decorating fireplace

jennifer5508
9 years ago

What kinds of things do you put on your hearth? It's a stone fireplace and the mantle is a rustic piece of wood. I want something country looking.

Jennifer

Comments (11)

• patricianat
    9 years ago

Can you tell us more about your room, furniture, paint colors, pillows, decor, art, etc.

• luckygal
    9 years ago

I have several decoratively functional things I use on my hearth at various times to hold kindling, paper, and logs. A vintage painted bucket, a heavy antique cast metal washtub, a large basket, and a wooden crate are some. I also have a large heavy tool set (poker, tongs, shovel) that has been passed down thru the family that I like.

I have a stove, not a fireplace, so have also used either a large cast iron kettle or a large enamel coffee pot on top of the stove to hold water for humidity.

Any rustic container with patina is suitable with this style of decor and I prefer few large items to many small.

Years ago a friend used a copper washtub on her hearth altho I think there may be a danger of denting those.

Make sure anything of a flammable nature is far away from the source of heat.

Here is a pic of my antique washtub I sometimes use to hold paper and kindling on the hearth - filled with shells and fishing floats here. I love this old thing as it has such patina.

• jennifer5508
    Original Author
    9 years ago

the room is countrish...reds/browns/tans. The wall that the fireplace is on is red and the stone is earth tones with a hint of red in it.

Jennifer

• jennifer5508
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I thought about crocks/vases or even lanterns or maybe even both?

Jennifer

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

A vintage clock for the mantel.

Is it a wood burning or gas FP?

• jennifer5508
    Original Author
    9 years ago

IT'S WOOD BURNING.

JENNIFER

• fully2
    9 years ago

Almost everything looks good on a hearth. It's so much easier than doing a mantle. Shop your house and try things that you already own. You like those things already or you wouldn't have them. Remember odd numbers and the scale should be something you see rather than small things.
    I've used a set of three large candlesticks, a large bark ball, small tin drawer unit..large plates on a stand, baskets, lanterns, and even books. Not all at the same time. Add something you like, stand back, putz it a bit, move to other side.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

So on the hearth, just have the fP tools, gloves, wood holderâ¦that stuff.

Mantels are great for decorating seasonally and for holidays.

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

Is it a raised hearth or floor-level? Mine is floor level. I have an antique painted child's chair sitting there, with a vintage French bulldog statue sitting on the chair. I am guessing no one else has the same thing on theirs ;)

• stolenidentity
    9 years ago

Geez, I hope you did not mean to yell Jennifer!! LOL

We keep fire making stuff on the hearth of our wood burning fireplace. Stuff like tools, a metal log bin that holds some aromatic pinion starter and ready wood, another metal bucket for ash collecting. The bellows and log tools lay on the hearth during a burn and then get hung up on the hearth hooks.

• patricianat
    9 years ago

I think the crocks, vases and lanterns would be good but I do think every mantle should have a clock. A carriage clock is nice for a mantle. It won't scream country if you decide to change your decor in the future, but it will work well with country decor. Then put your other items as a vignette. I really think you have good ideas. Just play with items but when you find the right clock, make that purchase.

This post was edited by patricia43 on Fri, Aug 8, 14 at 4:52