Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eyegirlie1

Headboard Size vs Window Trim

Eyegirlie
11 years ago

I am in LOVE with Ethan Allen's Alison bed...the problem is I want a king bed and the measurements on their site would bring the headboard over the sides of the window trim. I'm worried how that would look; any advice or pictures showing something similar? Should I just stick with a queen (what we currently have)?

I've also looked at Basset's version of this bed and the price isn't much different. Any suggestions on any cheaper versions of it? We plan to go look at furniture stores this weekend but aren't ready to buy just yet.

Thanks for any advice!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Ethan Allen bed

Comments (19)

• biochem101
    11 years ago

Is the king bed mattress and bedding going to cover the window trim also?

Did you want to eventually put drapes on the windows?

Could the bed go against the other wall?

• suzanne_sl
    11 years ago

Macy's has a couple that are sort of similar and currently on sale:

This "Coventry" bed is on closeout for $999 for a king size

This is the "Victoria" king bed for $1199

The "Manhattan" king for $1099

As far as size, I have seen beds (on HGTV) which overlap the windows on each side and I've always thought it looked odd. These were the "after" arrangement, so the designers in question evidently thought that was OK. Personally, I wouldn't do it, but keep in mind that I don't wish for a king bed either, which probably would make a difference.

• Bobby99
    11 years ago

We have a similar set-up in our bedroom, and we decided to stick with a queen (much as I would love a king). I think it looks cluttered when the bed overlaps the windows. Then again, on lazy Sunday mornings when you're lounging in your wonderful king bed, do you care? :)

• chispa
    11 years ago

I need my space in bed, so I would not give that up for "looks" in a room that visitors hardly ever see. I spend more time sleeping in the bed than I do just looking at the bed, so the fact that the headboard blocks some of the trim is not even something worth thinking about.

• ellendi
    11 years ago

Very true chispa. Our master bedrooms should only have us to answer to. But, that said, I know I have my standards. I always make my bed in the morning, even though no one else will see it.
    I think a bed over lapping on the windows would bother me too. I like biochem's question about drapes. That could solve the problem visually.
    Just a side thought. This is personal, but I know when we are vacationing and have a king, I don't feel as "close" to my husband as I do in our queen. Sometimes with more room, your romantic life changes. I have heard others mention this as well. This could be a whole other thread of discussion. But, just thought I would share.

• Olychick
    11 years ago
  • User
    11 years ago

a picture is worth a 1000 words :D

• sheesh
    11 years ago

Our kingsize bed isn't THAT big, ellendi. We wouldn't give it (...or "it") up for the sake of a couple of inches over the windowsill. Just sayin'.

• sheesh
    11 years ago

Our kingsize bed isn't THAT big, ellendi. We wouldn't give it (...or "it") up for the sake of a couple of inches over the windowsill. Just sayin'.

• rafor
    11 years ago

My king bed also infringes on my windows. I have handled this 2 different ways at times. First I had drapes run continuously from the side of one window completely across the wall behind the headboard to the opposite window. Then when I wanted the drapes open, I just pulled them toward the center off of each window.

When I re-did the drapes, I hung a panel on each window (no drape behind the headboard). I usually just partially pull the drapes toward the center but leave them partly on the edge where the headboard covers the window.

Hope all that makes sense because I'm too lazy to go take pics right now!!!

• chispa
    11 years ago

We have separate TwinXL beds in our guest bedroom and the last 2 sets of guests said they had never slept better!! LOL. I'm sure my Mom appreciated being able to sleep 5ft away from my loud snoring Dad! ;-)

• Eyegirlie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow! Thank you everyone for the great responses!!! I usually hang out in the house building and kitchen forum and I'm thrilled to see this forum tends to be just as great!

I'm not planning on putting up window treatments anytime soon for a few reasons (have other things I want to buy first, no need for the privacy with them due to no houses behind us, and would hate to cover up the trim at the top).
    I'm glad to see mixed responses because I feel that's exactly what I have about the whole issue!
    Olychick, those photos helped tremendously and give me peace of mind about it because I think those rooms are beautiful.

Thanks again! P.S. Any suggestions on how to do window treatments without covering my molding on the top?

• suzanne_sl
    11 years ago

You're right, I love the window trim too. To not cover it, you need window coverings that are set inside the frame: roman shades, honeycomb-type, variations on Venetian blinds, or even plantation shutters. Personally, if privacy isn't an issue and neither of you is light phobic in the morning, I'd just skip the covering.

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

The thing that makes the overlapping of the window work is the curtains.

If I were you, I'd install slender rods, hung at ceiling height and extending out far enough so that drapery panels, when gathered back, still sit clear of the trim. Then I'd hang four simple panels - two to a window - so that it is not obvious that you've overlapped, but so that the trim at the top of your windows still shows.

Olychick's third picture shows just such an arrangement.

In my view, it is a mistake to fall so in love with the details of good trim work that we neglect to complete the room.

Sort of like going out without your shirt because your bra is so gorgeous....

• Amanda Wihebrink
    7 years ago

I am going through this EXACT same dilemma......except my husband knows he won't like a queen so I'm trying to decide between a king and a california king. My only reluctance with the cal. king is that it can be harder to find linens and such and we are short so we would basically just be buying it so it fits better between the windows.....what did you decide to do? Any pictures?

• Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    7 years ago

I'm in process of laying out the bedroom of a house we are closing on in a few weeks. Like you, the space between the Windows isn't wide enough for a king bed. My other dilemma is that the Windows are also slightly off center. I am addressing the issue with curtains like shown in many of the above pics. I will probably never close the curtains but will use them to hide the off center window placements. I will hang a large piece of art centered on that wall and center the bed under it. Then will put curtain rods up to disguise the wonky Windows. I will have wood blinds on the Windows for light control but will leave the curtains alone.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    7 years ago

I slept in a queen for years but after having a king would never go back. Mine is a California King and places like overstock and amazon have plenty of bedding for that size. Amanda, here is the picture you requested.

• Amanda Wihebrink
    7 years ago
    Looks great! I decided I didn't want to be limited by the choices of beds getting a cal. king......so I ordered a king Novosbed today :)