Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boystown

Dark Cherry Kitchen Cabinets

boystown
9 years ago

If you have dark cherry kitchen cabinets, what color are your walls? If you don't have cherry cabinets, would be interested in your ideas for a wall color. It is a small kitchen with a neutral flooring and black/brown granite. All is a work in progress so sorry pics are not available. Thanks

Comments (18)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I went with an autumn leaf color...

Originally it was much lighter and I found it did nothing for the graining in the cabinetry. (This pic was while under construction...)

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

I just purchased some Farrow and Ball Eating Room Red for the walls of my dark, dark cherry pantry. It's a choice most GWers would not approve, but I love it. The specific dark tone and grain of your particular wood and stain determine whether that will work, though. Have you thought about a gray-green or a cool gray?

• boystown
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Annie, very nice. What a difference. Your cabinets pop with the autumn leaf color. Your kitchen is very similar to what mine will be after this construction thing is over. thanks

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I have a dark cherry vanity and used a light blue-gray, BM Silver Mist. If you're interested in gray, I would recommend going a little grayer than Silver Mist, but it's a good starting point to see how much gray you can tolerate. It looks good with the browns in my granite too.

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

My neighbors have dark cherry cabinets and they went with BM Philadelphia Cream for the wall color.

AnnieDeighnaugh, what is the height of your cabinets. I like how you added the crown molding to be deep to update the look of the soffit and put crown molding on top of the cabinets. Very pretty!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Thanks lynn. The upper cabs are 40" total. Then the crown is on top. The total ceiling height is 9'. The soffit was intentional...we use it as a visual break between the kitchen and the FR to which it is completely open. The kitchen is only 4 years old and it is in our new house so it was built this way. DH and I had plenty of other storage, and hated the idea of needing a ladder to reach the top of the upper cabs, so we went with shorter cabinets, short display cabinets above (the glass is shimmer glass we salvaged from the old house) with separate doors.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Thanks gagesgranny, I definitely would not rule out a deep color to surround the cabinetry...it makes it so much warmer.

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

AnnieDeighnaugh, I thought the soffit was intentional and your cabinets were between 39" to 42" tall. The 40" upper cabinets look so nice. I love how your kitchen came out with the warmer paint color also. My ceiling is 8' tall. Your backsplash is beautiful also.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Thanks, Lynn.

• User
    9 years ago

My cabinets aren't cherry, but I'm getting ready to stain them GF brown mahogany (darker cherry color). My counters and flooring are brown with a pink undertone and I'll be painting the walls BM Shaker Beige. This color works well to tie in the pink undertone and I wanted contrast.

BM Manchester Tan is another lighter color I think would look very nice with cherry cabinets. It's a beige with a very slight green undertone. If i didn't already have so much pink going on, I would've went with Manchester.

• lynninnewmexico
    9 years ago

The cabs in our kitchen are a dark cherry. The walls are all exposed adobe and are painted a warm cream color.
    Lynn

• boystown
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lynn, thanks, I absolutely love your kitchen and your style. I will check out warm cream colors. Any chance you remember your cream color? Thanks again

• andee_gw
    9 years ago

I have an old SW color that is a yellow-gold. The cabinets are dark cherry, the floor is pale oak, and the granite counters are dark green/black. It's very warm looking.

• lynninnewmexico
    9 years ago

Thanks GG! I believe that the color is Ranier White. Because our kitchen faces south and west, and we have large windows on each side, this warm cream color works for us. In a darker kitchen, it may be too deep a color.
    Lynn

• User
    9 years ago

Lyn - I love your kitchen - so pretty. Are your cabinet pulls pewter?

• lynninnewmexico
    9 years ago

Shee, all are a pewter finish, but I don't think they are pewter. Here's a few close-up pics of them.
    Lynn

I love the way they look with my dark cherry cabs. I bought them to work with the decorative metal tiles I have inset with my tumbled marble on the walls.

Lynn

• User
    9 years ago

Thanks Lynn for the info. and close ups! I'm still debating if I'll keep my orb hardware or change it. I think I'll need to see it all finished first.

Thanks again!

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Lynn, I love your kitchen! It is so beautiful. I adore the color of your tumbled marble. I used tumbled marble in the small format squares too but mine is a darker color. My favorite trait of the t m is it's antique look. It looks stunning in your kitchen!