Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stir_fryi

New Flatware -- whats the difference?

stir_fryi SE Mich
10 years ago

I have 20 year old Pfaltgraff silverware that is outdated and missing most of the spoons.

I have been looking online at flatware sets but noticed that most of the less expensive sets are 18/0.

My current set is 18/8.

Will I notice much of a difference in the weight and handling of a 18/0 set?

Or should I spend much more and only consider 18/8?

Comments (12)

• maire_cate
    10 years ago

This is from Macy's web site. We need to replace our current set but I keep hearing from others that the new stuff just doesn't seem to last as long. I guess I shouldn't be surprised. So we've been using our sterling more often.

............."Stainless steel flatware is composed of a variety of iron alloys. The common designations 18/10, 18/8 and 18/0 refer to the percentages of chrome and nickel in the alloy. The first number refers to the percentage of chrome, added for durability and greater resistance to corrosion. The second number refers to the percentage of nickel, used to give flatware a soft sheen similar to silver. So, when stainless steel flatware is referred to as 18/10, it has 18% chrome and 10% nickel. Hard-wearing and luminous, this is considered the highest quality stainless steel, followed by 18/8 and 18/0. "

• daisychain01
    10 years ago

We bought Henkel flatware about 3 years ago (18/10). We have been extremely happy with it. It is more expensive, but it is always on sale somewhere, you just have to look. We've added to it when we've found our style on sale both online and in store.

It sounds gross, but I would actually put the fork and spoon in your mouth (take a wet wipes pack with you?). The feel of a cheap set just sets my teeth on edge. I enjoy my food much more using a better set of cutlery (gosh that sounds snobbish).

• Fori
    10 years ago

You're not a snob, DChain. It's TRUE!

I looked for years and finally gave up and bought some old stock stainless flatware (ca. 1956). It has a nice weight and balance and no HUGE forks like many of the new sets have.

It's probably out of date. :P

But if you keep your flatware for 20 years, go ahead and splurge on something that's 18/10 and not made in China (no offense to China since we're the ones who buy it!).

• chispa
    10 years ago

Fori, many of the old sets also have huge forks. I was recently given part of my great grandparents Christofle sterling flatware and the forks are like pitchforks! They seemed even bigger when I was a kid! I find that many of the new sets feel too light in the hand.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I have Oneida Michaelangelo pattern and it is very nice. I just checked Macy's and it is 18/10. It has a nice weight and I love the size of all the pieces. Macy's has it on sale now and another 15% off.

DC I feel the same way about my coffee cups and mugs. I love to drink out of a bone china mug or cup. It honestly makes my coffee taste so much better.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I agree with buying made in the USA. I know when I bought mine almost twenty years ago it was made in the US, not sure if it is anymore though. I know my Palatial Gardens Lenox china is made in the USA and the Chirp pattern that I just purchased for DD. I am so glad to see that more people are seeking US made products.

• sunsoleil
    10 years ago

I bought my 18/10 at a Reed and Barton outlet. You asked about the difference--it will stay shiny forever and you can scoop frozen ice cream without the spoon bending:)

• Fori
    10 years ago

Oh yes, Chispa, but some of the new stuff just seems even bigger! I have some '20s sterling and plate sets and it's pretty big (without being clunky). My favorites (ergonomically) are the stuff from the '50s. Dainty but substantial.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    10 years ago

The china made stainless uses recycled stainless ( they don't tell you this) and will show rust spots. The USA made does not.
    That's why people with 30 year old Oneida are still perfectly happy with it. The newer stuff is not the same.
    We had a thread on this a year ago or so and I immediately bought some new in package made in USA flatware from my Oneida pattern off of ebay- while it was still available.
    The pattern is still available, but the stuff from the now closed American factory is not.

• sas95
    10 years ago

Bumblebeez, the company that makes Liberty Tabletop manufactures out of the old Oneida factory in NY. That is what attracted me to them.

Not only that, they gave me wonderful help over the phone when I was selecting my pattern. You don't get much of that from manufacturing companies anymore.

This post was edited by sas95 on Sat, Aug 10, 13 at 17:56

• lascatx
    10 years ago

Yes, you will notice the difference. The weight and feel are better in 18/8/ and 18/10, which is enough for me, but it will last longer, so you can justify it and feel good about it. I have the set I bought a year out of college (seemed like a big splurge then) as well as some my mom bought years before that.