Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ideamom_gw

When do you start decorating for fall?

ideamom
15 years ago

Last year I decorated for fall about mid September but now wondering if that was too early. When do you decorate for fall? I don't decorate for Halloween just keep everything fall themed, fall colors so it stays up till I decorate for Christmas.

Comments (51)

• Ideefixe
    15 years ago

I don't really do this, as my colors are pretty much browns and oranges anyway. I buy seasonal flowers and fruits, but I'm not one for dried leaves, etc. When my kids were little, I did more of this, but thank heavens, they're too old for it now.

In Southern California, Sept. is hot and I'm more likely to think about going to the beach than fall foliage.

• tinam61
    15 years ago

Hot here too - through September and on into October. I usually do some fall decorations (pumpkins, cornstalks, pansies, etc., etc., etc.) in mid to late October. They'll take me through Thanksgiving and I put up Christmas stuff soon after that. I don't decorate for Halloween either, just the fall stuff.

tina

• citymomof3
    15 years ago

I usually wait until late Sept or early October. We just have lots of fake leaves, resin pumpkins and scarecrow things so I think you can start in Sept with those. Fall is my favorite season!!!

• kswl2
    15 years ago

We have a pole barn with a firepit up at the edge of the woods, and that's where I do ALL the fall decorating. We have pumpkins, baskets of mums, cornstalks, bales of hay and pinestraw, etc. I have a great time doing it and we have a big hoedown for the neighbourhood in October or early November. I don't do anything in the house except put a few fall baskets of mums out on the screened porch.

• donnawb
    15 years ago

We don't have fall, but I start in early October and do put out some Halloween stuff with fall. After Halloween I take that stuff out and leave the fall until I put out Christmas.

• cooperbailey
    15 years ago

kswl that sounds like so much fun! Maybe you can post pics of how you decorate your pole barn. We have a small garage at the back of the lot, maybe the outside decorations would work there! hmmm.

• monicakm_gw
    15 years ago

I just bought some fall decorations today :) It's my favorite time of the year but it's still hot and summer like here in East Texas till mid Oct. I'll wait till then.\
    Monica

• kswl2
    15 years ago

I will post photos, cooperbailey :)

Your garage building sounds like the perfect place for this kind of decorating. I think that having it all more or less in one place makes more of an impact, and fall naturally lends itself to that type of outdoor theme decorating. Our last house had a good-sized folly in the middle of the garden (a gazebo-like structure) and we used to decorate it for Christmas like a gingerbread cottage with coloured lights in swags, giant lollipops "growing" all around it, two lit toy soldiers standing guard at the entrance, etc. Lots of family members took their family Christmas photos in front of it. I'll bet you could do the same with your garage.

• miles661
    15 years ago

"Fall decorating"? People actually do that? I can't say that I've ever known anyone that decorates season-specific. Holidays are another story. But not seasons. Seems silly to me- jmho.

• neesie
    15 years ago

work-in-progress, have you ever considered buying your replacemen pieces on ebay? It's very hit and miss when you're looking for a specific pattern. I never thought of using different china for fall. Good idea.

I work at a school so am super busy during September. I live in a rural area and a lot of people make scarecrows or set pumpkins on bales of hay. I haven't done that yet although I know where theres a pair of old denim overalls that I could stuff (but don't have the rest of the body. My only fall decoration for the last few years has been a goodie, tho!

I take a string of red christmas lights and also a string of orange lights (which they sell at Target around Halloween) and bunch them up on the ground. Then I take nice sturdy sticks and prop them up teepee style over the lights. This takes a few tries as it is like a house of cards and tips over. But when it is sturdy I plug in the lights and instant campfire!

Funny thing is, it stays for the winter without tipping over. The first time I did it I was waiting for it to tip over and it didn't. Once in a while I'll prop up a few sticks that have fallen but it holds up well. I am in Minnesota and we do get wind, etc. I keep it up through the snow also. This year I'll be able to take a picture because I've learned how to use the twilight setting on my digital camera.

• phoggie
    15 years ago

I am so ready to decorate for fall. In fact, I have been looking through some of my things and have gotten new candles, throw, etc. To me, when school starts, it is fall....and it has started. But will probably wait until Labor Day before I put things up. I love the fall colors and anxious to put away the "summer colors". I used to decorate for every season and holiday....but older now, and that has gone by the way-side....even decided to put my Christmas bedspread, etc. on my up-coming garage sale...the kids have all gone from home and the little grandkids are growing up, so not nearly as much fun doing that anymore.

• newdawn1895
    15 years ago

It stays hot here in Alabama until around the middle of September. So, I start to decorate for Halloween the first day of October.

I do wish we had trick or treators, I love to hand out candy. But I never get a single kid. When I was a kid I would beg until I had three bags of candy. But things have changed, sad, huh?

I always plant panies and cabbage plants in containers for the fall.

Boo

• ronniroo
    15 years ago

Fall is just too short here... today it's 70 degrees, by this time next month, it'll be 35 degrees (highs, we've already gotten lows in the 30s) and by Oct 1 the whole place will be covered with snow. Heck, it usually freezes so fast the grass never has a chance to turn brown, LOL.

~~Veronica

• Ideefixe
    15 years ago

Miles--you have so much to learn! Wait til we start posting about decorating our pets for holidays. Or how our pets decorate.

• miles661
    15 years ago

Holiday decorating I can (and do) get into. Especially Halloween because we throw THE party to go to. This years' theme is Death Row- A Once In A Lifetime Experience.
    But I guess since we don't really have seasons in Bakersfield there isn't much point in trying to mimick them inside.

• ilovetn
    15 years ago

ronniroo. . .where in the world do you live? The North Pole? :)

We are in FL and it never gets cool, but I still love Fall. I decorate as soon as I can. . .early September. It makes me FEEL cool!

• plainjane425
    15 years ago

I starting doing Fall towards the end of Sept..We decorate the Red/Barn Shed, and 'do it up' with corn stalks and pumpkins. On the hill overlooking our property, we set out a Scarecrow and Pumpkins. On the porch...lots of pumpkins and a fall wreath on the door. By the front door some bushels with fall flowers..Inside, lots of fall settings on entry hall table and the mantel set up with fall decor. That brings us thru to Thanksgiving. For Halloween..I have some vintage decorations that I set up on a small hutch.
    Two yrs ago we hosted a party for friends and neighbors and their kids. We turned the Barn into a 'Haunted House' for the kids... Everyone brought a Decorated Pumpkin and we voted, for prizes, in different categories...Real fun...everyone went home w/a prize. Also Tractor Rides and Roasting marshmallows on an outdoor firepit. I think the adults enjoyed it as much as the kids..especially winning prizes..

• work_in_progress_08
    15 years ago

nessie - I've never used ebay. I am not the biggiest techie on the block, so I have no idea how to do it. I have just recently started searching on the local CL for an antique vanity for my DD's newly decorated BR. The thing that drew me to search CL was the fact that things are local and most times you can see before you buy. I know lots of people who sell and buy great items on e-bay, but I've just never done it. I'll check it out since I would love to replace all missing pieces. It is a german pattern that my father sent when he was overseas during their engagement. Funny, my mom never got to chose her own wedding china?? I can't remember her using it very much growing up. My mom gave it to me quite a few years ago, and I love it for fall entertaining/decorating.

miles - I don't decorate for spring, which may seem odd since I get so excited about fall? Maybe its regional, but everyone in our geographical area decorates for fall, or at the very least, Halloween (which I really no longer decorate for since DD will soon be 18, she's too cool for Halloween decs). LOL

Sounds like you host a very cool party. I've always wanted to host one for DD's b-day, since DD was born 2 days before Halloween, but we've just never done it. It sounds as if your event is very well thought out and executed, with loads of planning and decorating? You've now given me food for thought for her 18th birthday! Thank you.

• livvyandbella
    15 years ago

I love Fall here in New England. Decorate with mums and pumpkins.

• blue_velvet_elvis
    15 years ago

I only change my throw blanket and a few pillows in the living room. I normally do that in late September. I change out the lighter colors for deeper jewel tones.

I went to a store earlier this week and they had ALL the Christmas stuff set up. Rows and rows and rows of it. Maybe we should all start forgetting about seasons and just have Christmas four times a year? Ridiculous!

• funkyart
    15 years ago

I don't do a lot for fall-- add some mums to the front porch, a wreath on the door, a few scattered pumpkins (I have them growing in my flower beds thanks to the squirrels and birds-- but I've let them go).

I start adding fall decorations when I first start "smelling" and "feeling" fall in the air. I love fall--so I am always excited when I sense the season change. This is often mid September.

This is also start making pots of soup and batches of pumpkin and banana breads. Not "decor" but I love the smells in my house and they sure add to the sense of "home".

• lynninnewmexico
    15 years ago

Although I don't go as far as hay bales and pumpkins (which would bring the jackrabbits and packrats right up to my front door for their buffets!) I do like to bring the new seasons inside to enjoy a bit more. I like a Fall wreath on my front door and a cornicopia that I made a few years ago, on my coffee table.
    {{!gwi}}
    Since I can't put real pumpkins outside, or in my family room (because my dobie will eat them), I made these to use on my dining room table . . . but not until October.
    {{!gwi}}
    Like most of the posters here, I also like to change out the small thinks like candles, throws and throw pillow covers to ones with more jewel-like colors.
    With DD just 14 y/o, she still likes us to decorate for Halloween, although I'm doing less and less each year. I prefer to keep a few Autumn things up from October through Thanksgiving instead.
    Lynn

• lynninnewmexico
    15 years ago

cornucopia . . . I just shouldn't type without looking!

• ronniroo
    15 years ago

ilovetn,

Haha! No, I don't live at THE north pole, but I do live in North Pole, Alaska, so you were pretty close, LOL! We will do decorations for Halloween- at least a few frozen pumpkins on the porch.

Lynn, that cornucopia is gorgeous! I should make one for Thanksgiving table decoration.

~~Veronica

• ttodd
    15 years ago

I too decorate for Fall around when the kids go back to school which in our neighborhood is right after Labor Day. This yr. though it will be a tad later as baby #3 comes out 9/4. But I will decorate as soon as I am home from from the hospital mark my words!

I don't do much for Fall inside, although 1 yr. (& I may do so again this yr.) I hung quite a few silk garlands of Fall leaves around the top of our stained glass window in our staircase landing & tacked it to the ceiling too. It was like standing under a canopy of trees. It looked really cool. I put some of the same garland on the mantle or sprinkle preserved Fall leaves on it. I break out my Amber glassware & dishes. Every once in awhile I splurge & order orange or brown roses for my bedroom since we have a florist in the family.

Outside I hang a large grapevine wreath wrapped in lots of the same silk leaf garland on the front door. I use a wide orange silk ribbon. I hang more of the garland around the door w/ a strand of white lights mixed in. I put candles in old mason jars out on the porch steamer trunk & bench table as well as down the steps w/ a few mums.

Last yr. the kids got a hay bale for the porch & this yr. they want corn stalks too. I will accomodate their wishes (to my delight) by wrapping all 6 of our 8 porch columns w/ the stalks (if the $ is right that is).

Last yr. our 4yr. old son planted some orange pansies that the nice lady at the greenhouse gave him in old watering cans for the front porch.

We used to go all out for Halloween outside but our stuff kept getting stolen so we stopped until we move. It was a real shame because we live by an elementary school & the kids would just go nuts w/ delight when they walked home from school. Hopefully we have better luck then!

Fall - my very favorite season!

• rdsso
    15 years ago

I can't wait for fall I love to decorate for fall because where I live that means cooler wheather is coming!!!!

• patser
    15 years ago

and because fall means that cooler weather is coming, I try and drag summer out as long as possible.

No fall decorations at our house. I put the perennial gardens to bed at the last possible minute, usually end of October/early November and then it's right into Christmas!

• nhb22
    15 years ago

Because it has been so cool the last couple weeks in TN, our leaves are already starting to change on the maples and pears. Makes me feel like we had a real short summer. :(

• ilovetn
    15 years ago

newhomebuilder. . .that is good news to me! I get to "visit" our house in TN the first week of Oct. Maybe there will be some color after all. When I was small (long ago) we lived in Ohio and there was one maple on the corner that began to change right after school started. So pretty. That was always after labor day back then.

I wish this FL property would sell. :(

• lemckanna
    8 years ago

Living in FL now for 30+ years and having grown up in Connecticut.. I decorate for fall early to try to 'push' out the heat.. never works.. BUT I love fall most of all and I figure .. life is too short.. why wait? So I already started when I saw some gorgeous mums on sale,, they're by the front door, bought a fall wreath at Michaels last night (40% sale plus extra 20%.. was going to make my own but the deal was too good).. and will slowly put up my other goods all over the house.. like making a centerpiece with candles, leaves, mini pumpkins etc for the dining table etc.... I'll still put my red/white and blue lights in my candelabras in the windows for Labor day.. Sept 1 thru Sept 11th... and then switch to orange lights right after that ...then mid- November to orange/white candles for more of 'Thanksgiving' and in December to white for Christmas. Decorating to me is the spice of life as I love just being home!

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    8 years ago

I begin around late September. The autumn stuff is out until the day after Thanksgiving and the Christmas stuff is out until the day after. Undoubtedly, I am at least amount of time with holiday décor!

• nhb22
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I getting ready to respond and realize that I already did...back in 2008! How did this thread get resurrected?

Anyway, the last few years, I have waited until my summer flowers have faded and then I will decorate with mums. Un-carved pumpkins come the week of Halloween. They stay out until just after Thanksgiving. Then Christmas....

I have had the same Viola's in my front urns since early Spring. They should last well into Fall, maybe even Thanksgiving, so I may just leave them and add the pumpkins.

• violetwest
    8 years ago

I don't decorate for "fall." I decorate for Halloween mid Oct. and Christmas first or second week of Dec.. I largely ignore Thanksgiving.

• Miz_G
    8 years ago

It's still hot here (N Texas), but I'm getting the itch. I love Fall colors in the yard ... everything is tired and spent from our Summer, and I'm ready for a change. I'm in a transitional stage, I used to decorate more "fun" for my DD growing up, but she's in college now, and I'd like more mature Fall decor (if that makes sense).

Pretty pictures nhb! I adore pumpkins of all colors. I use mine from Oct-Jan (I make snowmen out of them for Christmas).

• nhb22
    8 years ago

Last year, I used two colors of orange and white pumpkins for our urns. I like the idea of using them for snowmen during Christmas, but mine rotted before Thanksgiving.

• Jmc101 z5
    8 years ago

Nature decorates for fall. We get pumpkins the week before Halloween.

My mind is still on summer, where it shall stay for the next month!

• User
    8 years ago

I bought a wreath this past week-end but will probably wait a couple of weeks to hang it. I'm also looking for something to put on the porch this year. Hay with pumpkins or something.

The heat of August burned my hanging baskets and they're almost gonners now. About a month ago, I started noticing the greenery starting to change as I'm driving around, and that's got me anxious for fall.

• Bunny
    8 years ago

I don't decorate for seasons, except a tree for Christmas. I mourn the end of summer, so fall is only something I tolerate because I have no choice.

• Danahills
    8 years ago

Fall is my favorite time of the year, love fall colors. Yesterday, I put up my door wreaths, put out my fall candles and fall leaves. Also got four pots of mums. Did I mention I love fall........ Of course, it is supposed to be in the 90's the next few days, along with wildfire smoke, so it's not really fall yet. Darn...

• artemis_ma
    8 years ago

I usually just let Mother Nature take care of the autumn decorations -- she does a superb job with the maples!

But I usually do something for Halloween, and yes there will be a pumpkin or two! I noticed a week ago that JoAnne Fabrics has quite a collection of Halloween (and Fall) ideas -- I should go back before they switch to Christmas! If it's not too late already...

My favorite seasons are fall and spring. I'm a temperate climate kinda girl...

• arcy_gw
    8 years ago

August..I started in August. I go with a patriotic theme from Memorial Day to August first. August-September is apple season here so I begin with apples and morph into fall as it proceeds...just put my scarecrow out in my front garden this weekend. Fall is my favorite color palate so I get as much of it as I can until Christmas. Fall decor is huge around here--at least outside on porches, driveway entrances...we will have months and months of WHITE so we celebrate this burst of color TO THE MAX!!

• CindyMac
    8 years ago

Unlike Linelle, I rejoice in the end of summer. Seems everyone exhales with a collective sigh. Won't start to feel like fall here for another 6 weeks, but at least there's light at the end of the tunnel.

• melle_sacto
    8 years ago

I also love it when summer ends (the relentless sun and heat is tough on my pale celtic complexion); here the end of summer feels like November ;-)

I recently pruned back a lot of wisteria and used the flexible vines to make two large wreaths, so I guess that was my start. In October I'll probably decorate them with greenery, etc, from the yard.

We have some ripening pumpkins, so they'll become porch decorations until I bake them. That's probably it for this year, maybe a leaf project with the kids but that won't be until leaves are dropping.

• beteacher
    8 years ago

As soon as I finish mopping my dining room I plan to get out my fall things. It is hot here so I have to just imagine fall for a while. My dining room is a light blue/grey/green so orange doesn't work. I have a large white pumpkin and other neutral things. I really only decorate my table plus a few random things - wood and wrought iron, pansies outside in purple and yellow. I used to have a lot of piano students who didn't believe in Halloween, so that kind of took the fun out for me. I secretly start Christmas decorating before Thanksgiving then turn the lights on that night!!! I will probably go to my son's house for Christmas this year, so I need to enjoy my Christmas stuff early!

• shellrehm
    6 years ago

I will start at the beginning of sept and then finish at the end with pumpkins. Pumpkins don't really come out here till almost oct 1st

• artemis_ma
    6 years ago

Mid October I do Halloween/Autumn. I remove after Thanksgiving, although the more blatant Halloween things may be removed a couple weeks earlier. Although this past year I didn't do much at all.

• Elaine Aspinwall
    5 years ago
    I live in Rhode Island I myself like many others decorate for every holiday it's still mid August but I've got the itches to decorate for fall I'm all set with the heat I know it's still early to decorate for the fall lol but its all in the stores
  • Karen
    5 years ago

September 1st I decorate for fall (hot or not!) October 1st I add a few Halloween things. November 1st I put away the Halloween things and keep the fall stuff until the weekend before Thanksgiving...then I put up Christmas decorations.

• Elaine Aspinwall
    5 years ago
    yes I know lol I need to wait I have decorations from shower curtains to rugs and every other holiday decoration my biggest holiday is xmas I have so much stuff I don't even get to put it all out I've given stuff to my kids and often wished I knew someone who didn't have much and would appreciate it
Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner