Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
massagerocks_gw

an old oak ice box

massagerocks
9 years ago

I have an old oak ice chest I use as a TV stand. I'm on the fence as to refinishing it back to its original state, or chalk painting it. It was used by my DH's grandmother. It has little monetary value, but that's of no concern to me. I want to keep and use it. My family room will be repainted Revere Pewter (as soon as I decide, been looking at colors for a year!) and the end tables are cherry. Interested in what others would do regarding the finish....thanks so much for your opinions, they are very helpful! I'm sorry, I cant remember how to post more than one pic, another one will follow

Comments (9)

• massagerocks
    Original Author
    9 years ago

here's another pic, thanks.

• daisychain01
    9 years ago

I would leave it as the orangey/gold tones of the oak will look nice with the Revere Pewter.

But I also have to divulge a bias having grown up being schooled in the worth of antique oak. I'd sooner paint the cherry end tables :)

• Olychick
    9 years ago

I have a couple that belonged to my grandparents and I love the old patina. Refinishing would make them look like the reproduction pieces from the 70's? 80's? IMO.

But if you ever want to change it, I think this is pretty terrific:

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Oh you are so lucky, that is so darn cute. I would not touch it. Oh and if you like Revere Pewter maybe look at Hampshire Grey

• ttodd
    9 years ago

I would keep the oak and not refinish it. Although I must admit to loving the picture that Olychic posted!

We have refinished quite a few of those old ice boxes back to their original finish and, wow, they are just beautiful! And I love the oak tones of wood w/ Revere Pewter!

• User
    9 years ago

I would paint it, it looks great in that coral color.

• massagerocks
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh I love that coral painted one, and I saw a pretty black one. I dont like the heavily varnished refinished ones I've seen. If I keep it oak, I'd clean it, I like it dull and rustic (tung oil?---what do you suggest Foxes Pad?) and maybe put new/antique aged brass hardware on it. But then I saw one like this too..I could just paint the inside some bold, pretty color. Happy to read all of your thoughts and ideas....

Here is a link that might be useful:

• msrose
    9 years ago

Just curious, are you planning to change the tile around your fireplace? Your current paint matches it really well, so I'm not sure Revere Pewter will look good with it. I have tile and stone that dictates my paint colors and it can be kind of annoying at times.

• massagerocks
    Original Author
    9 years ago

msrose: The room has always been SW Blonde but I'm tired of it. Its hard for me to visualize a different color. It has a 2 story high wall so there is alot of wall space and the Blonde has become too much color and too yellow. My new furniture is mostly gray with gold accent colors. Yes, we did pick the tile to go with the wall color and the rug as well. It was easy to pick everything the same color lol. But the tile has gray veining so it'll look okay with gray I'm hoping. SW Amazing Gray is another consideration. We have a couple cans of left over Revere Pewter, but its looking very light on the sample wall. Very frustrating not being able to make a decision., The RP does look nice next to the fireplace though. Thanks for your comment. We keep the left door of the oak cabinet open as it houses the TV box so maybe I should just paint the interior something interesting?