Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lovemrmewey

Does Anyone Else like to Decorate with

lovemrmewey
9 years ago

a little 'whimsy'? I love to see a little something whimsical in every room. Be it subtle or focus, it really adds something in my estimation. If this applies to you, please share your pictures! Thanks!

Comments (27)

• aputernut
    9 years ago

Show us yours, why don't you?

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

A cow sliding on my FP mantel clock

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

A bird on my LR mirror. I tell little kids the birds flew in the window one day, chose their perches, and never left.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I have an ornament we got in Istanbul hanging from a lamp. When we get rid of that lamp, I'll probably just put the ornament away.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Bird # 2, perched on a primitive nail on a ceiling beam in my LR. I have quite a bit of whimsy, including a rooster named Irene, which is most unfortunate - being a rooster named Irene - but he was given to me two days before Hurricane Irene, so really, what choice did I have? Wasn't my fault it was a female-names year for hurricanes!

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

Absolutely! I totally agree. Here are some of my heart-shaped rocks.

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

And a display shelf ... All of these pics are from our beach house, where I am now, but I have plenty of goofy and whimsical decor at my main house too.

Yes, there are Simpsons Pez dispensers here. I don't know why. The kids have helped with the decor!

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

And part of the mantel with a vintage Bobbsey Twins book.

• selcier
    9 years ago

Do action figures on the coffee table count as whimsy? As in: we-have-no-children-and-I-put-them-there action figures.

• ljwrar
    9 years ago

See no evil table.

• ljwrar
    9 years ago

Concrete pig at my desk

Big Boy in the kitchen

Artwork in the kitchen

• Elraes Miller
    9 years ago

Tibbrix....you and I have an identical mirror. How interesting to see it's twin, 14 yrs old. Mine finds different places in the house about once a year. A heavy guy with a lot of interesting impact. Now I want to see your house, am a mixture of rustic/transitional.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Sueb, love the heart rocks. I live on Cape Cod. You've given me an idea!

technicolor, I knew someone else here has the same mirror. That was noted on another thread a while ago in which I posted another photo which has the mirror in it. I got mine on CL. I think the shutters make it look bird-cagey, so out came the glue and up went the bird.

• louislinus
    9 years ago

Hanging in my powder room.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Oh louisilnus, where did you get that? I want one!

A friend of mine has an actual sign that says, "Beware of Pickpockets and Loose Women."

Lol.

• louislinus
    9 years ago

I bought it at an estate sale. The same estate sale were I bought the rug I posted about. The artist is Boris O'Klein. He was a French artist who made prints for tourists in the 50's. There is whole series called "Naughty Dogs" or something. You can often find them on eBay.

• ttodd
    9 years ago

Fun thread!

• gyr_falcon
    9 years ago

I have a few things, but they are mostly small and would be easily missed by folks not having an eye for detail. Please pardon the construction dust--husband is actively cutting up tile and whoknowswhats as I took the photos (for when only the freshest of dust will do....)

Three small metal mice play on our clock and mantel. The dog, less than 2" tall, looks up at you with kind eyes when you grab a Kleenex. The gecko peeks out from the lower shelf of the coffee table. And the birds through the fake window and flowing out along the wall was just something I did in the upstairs landing area when we first moved in--and I decided to keep them. They blend in well with the wall color, and provide just a subtle shape decoration when the lights are off.

• gyr_falcon
    9 years ago

I have the wood frame that matches Tibbrix's mirror. It is in the windowless guest bath, acting as a window. Because the other art in there are Ruane Manning giraffe and zebra prints, I wanted an African acacia tree view. After searching for more than two years for one to use in the frame, in desperation, I finally just took a few hours and painted something myself! The "doors" stay closed most of the time--the view isn't too bad through the bars. ;)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I love it as a picture frame! I get so many comments on my mirror.

You did that painting? Wow. Jealous.

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

Does this count?

• Elraes Miller
    9 years ago

How interesting, there are 3 of us with the identical mirror. And at different ends of the US. I usually have mine somewhere to reflect a window/outdoors.

• User
    9 years ago

In our downstairs (basement) bath I have a small green metal chair sitting on the vanity counter. It usually holds a folded facecloth, but this is how it looks without:

• louislinus
    9 years ago

I love this guy too.

• lovemrmewey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, all! I am blown away by your 'whimsical' décor! Since I posted this, I have encountered a front yard illustrating how a broken sewer pipe can interrupt your normal routine. I don't know that my whimsy can compete with yours but will post a few when I have resolved this water issue (soon, I hope). Why do dire happenings always occur on the weekend?

• gyr_falcon
    9 years ago

Thankfully, silhouettes are very forgiving to non-artists, Tibbrix.

Love your "fresh berries", tomatofreak. Such an expression!

You are so creative kswl. How can anyone see that and not smile with delight?

A shame about your pipe, lovemrmewey. Hope the repair goes smoothly, and quick.

• cawaps
    9 years ago

I have this Dia de los Muertos art in my living room.

A piranha in my kitchen

And my collection of monstrous finger puppets, my flame breathing wind-up Godzilla, and an Opus figure I made in high school. All with a picture of my dad.