Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

Do you like one of these better than the other?

mtnrdredux_gw
9 years ago

This is a lamp for my son's room at the beach; sort of "Goldsworthy-style". Which one do you prefer?

Comments (27)

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

The one at the top. In general I think the heavy stone finials look like they should "bend" or "crush" the shade. That's a detail I don't like. The base is fine.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh goody, it is one fourth the price! I just wasn't sure if the second rock down looked like a potato or not. : )

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

How funny! My first reaction was that the second rock from the top looked just like a potato. That aside, I still prefer the first lamp because I like the gradation of colors better.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

I like the second one also. It's the base that makes it look more grounded too I think. I can't see the top in the first photo. Love that they look like cairns!

But what I'm really wondering is if that Johnny Walker Black Label dispenser thingy really works? Lol!

• eandhl
    9 years ago

I don't think you could go wrong with either. I would prefer the first, i like the wood base & the graduation of the stones. It may have a potato shape but is clearly a stone.

• rgps
    9 years ago

Really like both of them. Are you going with that shade. I think a more natural material shade would look better and not white.

• jrueter
    9 years ago

I also like the first one - the wood base makes it more "finished" to me.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I prefer the second one. The first looks too much like a 4th grade summer camp project to me.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

LOL, Errant, I can see that, and that was my thought too. I was not sure if I was biased though....

Since I knew the price, I preferred lamps in the second photo (240 vs 65). It amazed me that, just stacking a bunch of rocks could be done so much more "professionally" in one version vs the other.

I posted it here to see if everyone would immediately say "wow, the first one is so amateurish". Since they didn't I think I am going to pocket the delta and call it a day!

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

Props for use of delta. - math fan

• kswl2
    9 years ago

The stones in the second lamps are clearly stacked in a "let's make this look random" arrangement....I prefer the straightforward look of graded sizes increasing to the base. Two things though, I might paint the base a darker color (like gray, or maybe I wouldn't bother) and I def would get a burlap or linen shade.

Somewhere there's probably a $500 rock lamp! ;-)

This post was edited by kswl on Wed, Aug 20, 14 at 12:53

• sochi
    9 years ago

I prefer the second one, but would certainly go for the first. :)

• decordummy_gw
    9 years ago

I like the first one. Now totally OT but...near Rigaud Quebec Canada there is a whole field of these potato rocks.

"According to the legend, a peasant who ploughed his potato field on Sunday offended God who punished him by transforming the potato field into a field of stones."

About 20 years ago I brought a few potato rocks home....wonder whatever happened to them....LOL.

This post was edited by decordummy on Wed, Aug 20, 14 at 13:47

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

I like the second one....don't like the wood base....looks like it came from Michael's and was painted.

• luckygal
    9 years ago

I like the second one best as the rocks are ground/cut/chosen flat so they fit together better.

The first one has a more natural look altho I would have preferred the base be natural wood, not painted.

Really I think it doesn't much matter as there isn't a comparison item once it's in the room.

Did you ask your son for his opinion? Let's you off the price hook if he likes the first!

• Bunny
    9 years ago

I agree the wooden base looks like it came from Michael's. The entire lamp looks more like a craft project than the other ones. I also like the way the stones fit together better in the second photo. Does your son have an opinion?

• lolauren
    9 years ago

Ignore me if you already made your decision:

"I prefer the second one. The first looks too much like a 4th grade summer camp project to me."

I completely agree, without having read any comments. The base on the first looks cheap. I do not like the finials on the second, but a finial can be easily replaced.

• FSachs
    9 years ago

I prefer the second one also. But I don't think I would pay the difference for a child's room.

• Kiwigem
    9 years ago

I like the potato one :-)

• busybee3
    9 years ago

I like the rock base one better too, but don't like the finial tho- I would change that... but, for the price difference, I would definitely buy the 1st!! couldn't justify the price difference for a kids' bedroom when they are so similar!

• dedtired
    9 years ago

Never saw the potato until you mentioned it and now I can't unsee it. The rock finials on the second picture are too contrived. Go for the first one. It rocks (ugh, sorry).

• ellendi
    9 years ago

Why not let your son decide?

• oldbat2be
    9 years ago

Definitely the one with the potato stone! Kidding there, I don't really notice the 'potato'. Good suggestion to ask your son.

This post was edited by oldbat2be on Fri, Aug 22, 14 at 13:00

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh, my son won't really care, especially the difference between the two. He will think its a cool homage to Andy Goldsworthy.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I'm surprised so many don't like the stone finial. I love it! I think it makes for an interesting juxtaposition. A rock on top of lamp? I think that is so odd that it's cool :)

• Imhappy&Iknowit IOWA zone 4b
    9 years ago

after you change the rock finial to a smaller rock finial and the shade to burlap, I vote that one.

• patricianat
    9 years ago

ditto what lov_mkitchen said.

Sponsored
Total Home Design And Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars41 Reviews
Nominated for Best Interior Decorator by Northern Virginia Magazine