Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

Looking for the right chair...

Sueb20
10 years ago

I've been browsing around for a smallish but comfortable chair and I thought I'd get you all in on the action.

Once upon a time, this room only had the red love seat and the blue chair, because I didn't really think we had space for a "partner" chair for the blue chair. But then I placed our antique mission rocker there, and it was fine, so we left it. It made the space appear more conducive to conversation, but no one ever sat in the rocker! I don't like sitting in rockers at all, and I guess a lot of other people don't either.

So, the other day I switched the rocker with a chair we had in the living room. However, I don't like the chair in this spot. It seems too big, and one more wood tone in the room just feels like one too many (even though nothing in the room "matches"). I'm thinking of maybe painting that chair and putting it in the guest room...which leaves an open spot for Just The Right Chair.

What would you put in place of the wood/cane chair? Adding two UNstaged photos so you can see the space in question and the seating that I have now.

Or...no chair??

PS there is usually an area rug underneath it all, but it's been out being cleaned and literally was just delivered a few minutes ago. So imagine an 8x10 under everything.

Comments (18)

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another angle.

• annzgw
    10 years ago

I'd do a second blue chair.........same style, same color.

• neetsiepie
    10 years ago

Agree with annz...two of the blue chairs. A third color/style is too much.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That's funny that a matching chair never occurred to me. Problem is that chair was $$$ and may have to work on DH to approve it.

I totally love this chair from West Elm (in the pic, anyway) though it's not any smaller, really, than what we have in place now. And it's black. We do have black around the room (kitchen chairs are black, in the same room) but I know a black chair seems random in my seating arrangement.

Here is a link that might be useful: West Elm chair

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

Is this area used a lot for conversation? Is it considered the living room and the adjacent room with the fireplace the family/tv room?

Since you can't match the blue chair, is there another space in the house for it...perhaps a bedroom....and then you could do 2 inexpensive matching chairs (Ikea?)...I would not do leather as the couch is leather. Or perhaps get a chair with a print that incorporates the blue and red and would go also with the rug.

• bpath
    10 years ago

No practical help, but on my computer, the blue and the cane chair are like a "life imitating art" of that wonderful painting.

And I love the old schooldesk as an end table!

• orcasgramma
    10 years ago

I like the way your space 'feels'. The red couch and blue chair seem right to me. Even though neither shade is precisely present in the painting it seems to 'gather' the 2 together.

I wonder if a third chair that brings in the dark green or the dried grass colors from the painting would work. The old school desk end table delights me. I also like the way that the frame of the opening in the wall is reflected in the shape and color of light on the right side of the building in the painting. When you have the rug back in place it may be helpful to post another picture.

More thoughts than you asked for from someone who is definitely not skilled in decorating.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks...several people here convinced me to get the chair in blue when I was hesitant, because of the way it picked up the blue in the painting. I love that blue chair!

Another factor in the choice of this particular chair is this: the dogs are fed (and watered) in the mud room, which you can see behind the cane chair. One of them then comes into this space and rubs her wet, icky bulldog face on the back of the chair -- or she used to, when we had an upholstered chair here. So a chair that has a wood frame or leather somehow around the bottom/back of the chair would help.

I may just end up putting the rocker back! Then maybe look for a different chair in its place in the living room.... Hmm.

• mags89
    10 years ago

I like the blue better than the black--it brightens the room and really goes well with the painting.

Have you considered the West Elm Sloan chair that you posted above upholstered in blue? Although, you'd maybe have to get two matching chairs and move the other blue chair to a different room, which might be too $$$.

What is the model/manufacturer of your current blue chair? I like it!

• roarah
    10 years ago

Beautiful room! How about a side chair and cover the seat in the blue mohair to match your easy chair? Or a smaller caned chair with pillows in the blue velvet? Something this scale, perhaps.

This post was edited by roarah on Thu, Aug 22, 13 at 18:37

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mags, the chair is from Pompanoosuc Mills. I can't remember the name of it, but it's shown on their web site with wood trim, which we didn't get.

The blue chair doesn't really go anywhere else in the house, so it won't be moving. I have a birthday coming up and I'm sure DH would say yes if I wanted a second blue mohair chair from PM as a birthday gift, but I'm personally not convinced that I want two matching chairs.

Roarah, for some reason your photo isn't showing up on my iPad.

• roarah
    10 years ago

Sue I think I fixed the pic sorry about that. If it still is not showing, it is just a cane side chair with a two pillow cushions. Mine are white but I think the blue mohair might be more affordable if used just for small cushions and it would be conforming yet also different:). I like coordinating rather than matchy matchy myself.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I know what you mean, roarah.

I am also thinking something kinda, sorta like this squared off slipper chair, though I don't love this one, and I don't like the leg finish.

Here is a link that might be useful: West Elm, another chair.

• Janice742
    10 years ago

I completely and utterly love the blue chair.

It looks very comfy, too.

• Janice742
    10 years ago

I completely and utterly love the blue chair. It begs for another...

It looks very comfy, too.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You guys are killing me. I know, it's a great chair and two would look neato. But picture an old bulldog wiping her wet and dirty face on that blue mohair. And when you come home every day, looking at the back of that lovely chair covered in dog drool. (The back of the chair would be the first thing you see when coming in the door.)

Now this is another idea. This is the chair that matches the loveseat, so it coordinates with the whole scene in a different way. But how about this green leather? Mmmm.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am also in love with this chair. I don't know why but I am.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, a day later, I have switched gears. I've decided to put the mission rocker back in its place (where the cane chair is now) because DH actually does like sitting in it and in terms of decor, it works in a few ways including serving as a sort of reference to the other rooms on the first floor, which all have Stickley Mission pieces scattered around. So, never mind all of the above, but now I'm still going to move that cane-sided chair to the guest room and get a new chair for the living room. The trick is still going to be finding the right one. I'll take pics later and create a new thread!