Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Another great listing

Posted by KevinMP (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 22, 13 at 11:09

Whether you're of the millionaire variety that would buy it or just interested in what these beautiful houses are like, here's another great listing. This one is in center city Philadelphia right on Washington Square.

Here is a link that might be useful: 228 W. Washington Square, Philadelphia, PA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Another great listing

That's a lot of fireplaces!

I couldn't cook in that kitchen.

o

Too formal and stuffy for me....like the little brick courtyard sans the statues....

o

I like that! I don't think it is stuffy at all. I would probably change the chandelier (too grand for me) and I am not wild about the cabinetry in the kitchen or baths, but I love the walled patios and the rest of the house and Washington Square...well say no more!

o

I mostly like it.

I am not sure the cornices with the modillions on them are at all original. Somethings obviously going on with the dropped area of the back parlor ceiling. Plumbing or ductwork from upstairs? So that is definitely not original on the soffit faces. That's easily reproduced (although expensive). But I don't think it's the right period for the house. The front is Federal, and modillion moulding is Georgian. To me it almost looks like polyurethane, there's something too fresh about it, too. I could be totally wrong, but compared to the other cornices the paired parlors look "off."

I think that is a misstep and if I moved in I would probably spend $40K putting in run plaster mouldings like should be there, and it's a detail that no one would notice.

This house probably had a commercial use on the first floor at least, which is one reason why whatever might have been in the parlors is gone.

It's nice for what appears to be a mostly 1970s 80s restoration.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here