Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msrose

newhomebuilder?

msrose
16 years ago

I just love the pictures you posted of your old kitchen and I know you mentioned that you miss your brown granite. Can you post pictures of your current kitchen? I'd love to see how it's decorated.

Laurie

Comments (39)

• nhb22
    16 years ago

Sorry that I didn't get to your post yesterday. Busy, busy!

Below are photos of the new kitchen and the Butler's Pantry, in a hallway that is just off the kitchen and leads to the back stairs, garage, laundry and to the living/dining/study/foyer and MB. I love the layout of the house and it is just a perfect size for us now that the kids are all gone! The porches are great and the views are outstanding! However, I do miss my "bright" kitchen and larger home sometimes.

The photos are not that great, because my camera is about to die. LOL

• patricianat
    16 years ago

Well, I want to know what color that paint is in your dining room. :) I have always meant to ask and forgot. Your home is lovely and so is your puppy baby.

• acoreana
    16 years ago

:-O Your home is stunning!!! So beautiful...I love everything about it...each door you look through leads to another incredible space. Your finishes, and paint colors...wow. Love the way you finished the back of the island, and am printing out the pic (hope you don't mind) to show my Mom, who is hoping to begin work on her kitchen soon.

Nat

• msrose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

This kithcen is just as beautiful as your old one. You know what my favorite part is? There's something about that rounded doorway and seeing the columns in the other room that just sets it off. The paint color kind of reminds me of your old one, just a little less yellow. We're not quite ready to redo our kitchen yet, but right now we have cabinets that are a medium boring brown and I've been trying to decide whether I want to go light or dark. Both are so pretty! I've been entertaining the idea of using a color similar to what's in your old kitchen and decorating with red as an accent. I see that's what you did here and it looks great. Thank you for posting these!

Laurie

• customdecorator
    16 years ago

Yes, I would also like to know the color of the paint. Possibly Stuart Gold?

In addition, would you mind sharing your homebuilder with me? It looks very similiar to Dan Stater or William E Poole designs that we have been looking at. Thanks

• customdecorator
    16 years ago

I just found another post from her and she said that she used Concord Ivory in her old home as well as her new home, but looking at it from BM color viewer it looks like a totally different color to me.

• nhb22
    16 years ago

It's not the same color! The Concord Ivory was only used in my girls bedrooms. There is a post somewhere with those rooms shown.

The color you see in the kitchen, family room and breakfast room is Decatur Buff (one step above Stuart Gold.) The dining room is Wethersfield Moss (a green.)

I also failed to mention that we have not yet come up with a backsplash that looks good with the granite.

My "puppy" just turned eight. She is a JRT named Riley. My son got her for his 12th birthday and he is now off to college in his Sophomore year. Riley misses her terribly! :(

The house was a custom design. Here is a plan that I worked on. Sorry, the rooms are not labeled.

• juddgirl2
    16 years ago

Beautiful kitchen - I love the arched doorways and columns!

• customdecorator
    16 years ago

I just love the color, would you say it's pretty true to the way it looks in the pics? or is it lighter in person? I love the richness of it.

• nhb22
    16 years ago

Thank you all!

Yes, the color that I see on my screen, looks exactly like the true color.

• theyellowcow
    16 years ago

Newhomebuilder, I love your house and decor. Wish I could import you (and the other talented people here) to my house.

Are you sure the main color is Decatur Buff? I have it in many areas of my home and perhaps it's my monitor, but my color doesn't look at all like yours. In fact, I was coveting your color :). Your walls seems more goldish, whereas my Decatur Buff is more... buff (see how decorator challenged I am? Can't even describe a color.) Also, you mentioned it's one up from Stuart Gold, so I wonder if we're talking about the same color. Ben Moore's Decatur Buff is on the Putnam Ivory-Decator Buff-Mystic Gold strip.

Just want to make sure we don't send folks out searching for your color and winding up with something else.

• goldeneyedaisy
    16 years ago

Your house is just stunning and I love the colour on your walls! I think I just found the paint colour for my kitchen ;-) Do you think it would look good with white kitchen cabinets and stainless steel appliances?

• natesgramma
    16 years ago

Gorgeous! Can you tell me the sheen you chose on the walls? I might not be able to install a backsplash for a while (yours even looks great with just paint) so I was wondering how it is to clean up behind the cooktop walls. We start painting tomorrow!

Also, love those people behind the cooktop.

• nhb22
    16 years ago

100% positive that it is Decatur Buff HC-38 (just looked at the can.) We have Putnam Ivory in our bathroom. However, you are absolutely correct about the Stuart Gold. It is Mystic Gold that I was thinking of.

We used an eggshell finish and the color is a tan gold, not a tan. My friend used it in her foyer and our colors look exactly alike.

goldeneyedaisy - I think the color would like fine with white cabinets and stainless steel. Just go back and look at my white trim and stainless appliances to judge for yourself. I never thought about the appliances when I picked the paint out. I guess that bronze appliance would look better with the paint, but those are so ugly.

natesgramma - With the eggshell finish, I haven't had any problems, but I don't fry anything, so I have minimal grease flying around.

• theyellowcow
    16 years ago

Newhomebuilder, thanks for confirming your paint color. I could've sworn it wasn't the same HC-38 color that's on the wall behind my computer. (Note to self: buy new monitor.)

Your home is beautiful, and I appreciate you sharing it with us.

-Amy

• tarhlfan
    16 years ago

Your home is stunning! You did a great job. Love the red chairs. I know you are going to enjoy your lovely home.

• nhb22
    16 years ago

Amy - Did you use a true BM paint or have it mixed? Is it an eggshell finish?

hellokitty - I love my red chairs too! They are very comfortable, durable and best of all...inexpensive. I got them at Steinmart.

• polkadots
    16 years ago

I keep looking at your pictures over and over...your home is beautiful. I love all the finishes and fixtures you chose and the decorating is wonderful. Those arches really make the house unique. Enjoy it!

• theyellowcow
    16 years ago

"Amy - Did you use a true BM paint or have it mixed? Is it an eggshell finish?"

Newhomebuilder, my paint is true Ben Moore paint, eggshell, and matches the swatch perfectly. It just goes to show me that the colors I've been viewing online these many months of lurking are not accurately portrayed on my monitor.

Btw, I also have Putnam Ivory in the bathrooms and was considering a brown for a sitting/living room after finding a picture here I liked. Wouldn't you know it, it's your picture. Now if only I had your sense of style!

• patricianat
    16 years ago

Thank you. That is a lovely green. I know I can find a place to use it. I am going to be moving in the near future and have been looking at all the colors and items I would change in a new house (new to me).

• nhb22
    16 years ago

Amy - Perhaps my cabinets make the paint look more gold to you. Here is my Putnum Ivory. Does it look the same as yours?

Be careful of the brown, because you may not like it in person!

• theyellowcow
    16 years ago

Newhomebuilder, yes, your Putnam Ivory (and tiles for that matter) do look like what I have on the bathroom walls, though the Decatur Buff looks so much more gold than mine on the monitor. Interesting how difficult it is to "see" colors online. :)

Btw, in scrolling up to look at your Decatur Buff again, I noticed other similarities in our color tastes: I too had Concord ivory in the old kitchen and other parts of the house, and the green I'm looking at the replace the red in my dining room is Weatherfield Moss. I'd seen that color in a furniture showroom before Pottery Barn released it and loved it.

As for a brown room, I did ultimately decide not to go dark brown on the walls, so I'm instead ordering an espresso rug this weekend. I'll no doubt regret it, because my lab/terrier is mostly white like yours, and I'm already envisioning the increased vacuuming involved with a white dog/dark brown rug! Still, I can't seem to come up with a better idea, and I need to move on to other parts of the house. Can't match all the decor to the dog, you know. :)

Anyway, thanks again for your house pics. I so wish I could pull together rooms like you all do. I feel like I'm constantly making decorating decisions with my breath held, hoping I like what I get as this is a one shot deal. (House fire destroyed most furnishings, so what I get now will have to last for a long, long time.)

Now to let this thread die....

• nhb22
    16 years ago

I know what you mean about the white hairs. It's a good thing that I am practically blind! LOL

Another thing that we have in common...we had a house fire, two houses ago and had to start over with many things. We were lucky in that most of our furnishings were moved out of the house (in the middle of moving). It takes time to re-collect!

I am posting one more picture of the Decatur Buff in a light filled room, to see if it looks any better. Let me know and then we can let the thread die.
    Here it is in our Master bedroom before we decorated. This is pretty true to me.
    {{!gwi}}

• indygo
    16 years ago

Newhomebuilder--don't know if you go back to these old posts or not, but I painted my family room with the decatur buff this week, thanks in large part to your photos, and and I love it. Thanks for the inspiration! (And it does look great with red!)

• nhb22
    16 years ago

Yes, I put my past post on my "favorites" so I can check them more quickly. I normally don't scan the message board but about three times a week or less.

Have you made a post of your family room with photos? I am so glad you like it! Some do and some don't. I especially like the color in the winter time with Christmas decorations. The color is so warm.

• Buehl
    16 years ago

Gorgeous kitchen and house! I've included it as an "inspiration" house for the future! The sculptures behind the cooktop add just a bit of whimsy! They actually remind me of the sculptures at my college (long time ago!!!)

• dmoh
    16 years ago

Newhomebuilder -- Wow! Beautiful home, beautiful taste. Would you mind telling me what table that is in your breakfast area? We can just see a little peek of the wrought iron base. I'm thinking I want something similar for my banquette, but would really love to see more of your table & know more details. Many, many thanks & again, beautiful, just beautiful.

Diana

• reeree_natural
    16 years ago

newhomebuilder
    love your entire house! You have wonderful taste..we have putnam ivory in our family room, breakfast room and our down stairs bathroom..I love the color! Did you design the house your self? great job..
    Ree

• nhb22
    16 years ago

I bought the table in a decorators shop. We replaced the original top (see photo) with a larger piece of glass (photo above.) It is really not very sturdy, so I don't recommend it for everyday use. The table is fine if you are not trying to cut any food, then... it shakes to beat the band!

Here is a cleared photo and the ironic thing is that the wrought iron matches my staircase.
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• mom23
    16 years ago

Hi, I just happened to notice the pictures of your gorgeous kitchen!!! Would you mind telling me what color granite you have? I love it!!! Thanks

• poolowner
    16 years ago

newhomebuilder- I noticed you have a spoon collection in your kitchen. Could you please take a closeup of that so I can see the frame or plaque that you have them on? Are they mounted or in a glass frame? I have an old spoon clooection that I have not had on display for 15 years or so but that black background would look great in my kitchen against the green walls.
    Thanks

• acoreana
    16 years ago

newhomebuilder, what program did you use to design your beautiful home?

DBF was very impressed with your floorplan, and wanted me to ask you, but I keep forgetting.

(I think he wants to start tooling around w/ plans for our "someday" house :) )

Nat

• catiecupcake
    16 years ago

What brand of paint?

• msrose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Benjamin Moore

• sue9288
    16 years ago

why dont choose some curtains instead of the shutters?

Here is a link that might be useful: you would be like

• kellyleeann
    16 years ago

Newhomebuilder - Where did you find that cute little puppy light in your Butlers Pantry....I just love it!!! Too Cute.

• pauly_2007
    16 years ago

Newhomebuilder, what is the color of your ceiling?

• kellyleeann
    16 years ago

bumping for Newhomebuilder :) sorry

• Sal Garcia
    2 years ago

This is a stater design house. Dan Stater makes beautiful homes.