Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Window treatment advice?

Posted by jellyben (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 13, 14 at 10:53

I haven't been here in years, but now we've got a new home and new decorating challenges so I will probably be here a lot!
Our family room has these 4 windows(hopefully picture will show up) and I'm stumped. They have no moulding around them and I think a panel on each side would leave too much blank space above. Any thoughts? I love roman shades, but not sure inside or outside mount? I wild love some input!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Window treatment advice?

Well, depends on the look you want, as well as the functionality you are after. If that was my space and I wanted the treatments to be able to be opened and closed easily and at various times of day, I would say two large panels on a traverse rod. I had that in my former living room and now in my family room. If I wanted to treat each window individually, I would either inside mount roman shades (if you have the depth on the inside), or outside mount close to the crown molding.

o

You need to first decide what you are trying to accomplish with the window treatments. If the mini blinds were gone, would you need privacy or light control from the new window coverings? Are you willing to keep the current blinds and add panels? Stationary panels on the sides would look fine, in my opinion.

It helps to know what style of furniture you have in the room. That should affect what you choose for the windows.

o

Thanks to you both. The furniture in the room right now is from our old formal LR during my brief French Country phase, probably will be replaced in a year or 2, maybe with a leather couch but definitely more casual. The WT really need to just be decorative- I find I always keep the blinds up and I'm not opposed to taking them down. I don't want anything too fussy. In my old house I had all panels but just worry about all that space above the 4 windows with nothing but a rod!

o

What about tailored valances over linen pull-down shades running within each window? That way you can adjust each individually depending on lighting needs.
Edie

o

You can mount a long rod near the ceiling with dummy side panels on the outside, then outside mount wooden shades butted together near the rod to fill in the gap between the window top and the rod.

Or you can mount a single valance across the entire 4 windows, covering the window tops and then hide inside mount blinds/duettes underneath so only the valance would be visible during the day. (This valance may not be your style or color, but just to give you the idea.)

If you want to look for more window treatment ideas, ther is an old thread on it, linked below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Window treatment ideas

o

o

I love your suggestions, Annie! (except for the valance). The treatments you show add such a warm, finished feel to the rooms and also seem to cover all bases: function well for privacy or view, classy and they cleverly conceal the lack of a window frame.

o

Wow! Annie, the panel/blind look is perfect. I get the panels I love but also something to fill in the top. I wonder if I could do as in the second picture-patterned roman shades and then a solid neutral panel? Or if the patterned roman shades would be too much since it would cover so much space?

o

You certainly can do a pattern, but don't let it go too bold.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here